Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 23 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pavlor,  Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 pavlor:  4 mins ago
 Dave73:  11 mins ago
 Matt3k:  18 mins ago
 Jamie_S:  30 mins ago
 pixie:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  52 mins ago
 Yssing:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 deadwood:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Is youtube broken with OWB?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Tomas 
Is youtube broken with OWB?
Posted on 23-Sep-2013 19:06:53
#1 ]
Elite Member

I finally got MOS to run on my ibook, so i decided to try some youtube and i keep getting the error "this video is not available".
I tried to activate the youtube scripts, including the fullscreen fix one and it just plays back the video for 1 seconds and then switches to that same damn error message.
If i activate html5 trial it will work with the occasional video while rest just moans about me needing flash player, even though it plays the video for a few seconds...

Last edited by Tomas on 23-Sep-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
recedent 
Re: Is youtube broken with OWB?
Posted on 23-Sep-2013 19:54:42
#2 ]

@Tomas

1. What version of YouTube script?
2. Did you "turn the script on" (the checkmark in lower left corner of the "Windows/Scripts" window)?
3. Can you give us a link to an example broken video?

Last edited by recedent on 23-Sep-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 23-Sep-2013 20:03:30
#3 ]
Elite Member

@recedent
I am using the scripts that came out with the recently released MorphOS 3.3 and the newest version of swfdec.
All scripts have been added and enabled. I have gotten it working with 720p videos now after spoofing safari, but any other quality setting gives me no sound...
What is odd is how every single video seems to playback fine for the first 3-5 seconds and then the player reloads..

Edit: My fault.. Seems like there was a newer version of the script and now it seems to be working fine so far.
I have one more question though. Is there anyway to get real fullscreen instead of it filling just the browser window?

Last edited by Tomas on 23-Sep-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Last edited by Tomas on 23-Sep-2013 at 08:13 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 23-Sep-2013 21:16:22
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

i have the same problem here... i "fixed" spoofing as ipad and for have enjoyable video i change the setting of Owb in decoding "skipping" H264 frames...

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Boot_WB 
Posted on 23-Sep-2013 22:19:16
#5 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
I have one more question though. Is there anyway to get real fullscreen instead of it filling just the browser window?

You can press F11 for 'fake' full-screen, but alas there is no borderless fullscreen overlay.

Fab 
Posted on 24-Sep-2013 12:50:59
#6 ]

Just to be a bit more precise on the topic, Youtube just heavily sucks, and making it work in HTML5 video is not that easy, even when the browser supports it perfectly... During the last months, they progressively installed a real nightmare regarding flash/html5 modes.

A couple examples:
SOMETIMES, even when HTML5 cookie/trial is not enabled, they try to be smart and instanciate the HTML5 player, but fail badly at it and use an experimental HTML5 concept called mediasource (not implemented by all mainstream browsers), which leads to not working playback, because the video url can't be accessed.

SOMETIMES, when HTML5 is available and cookie/trial is enabled, or when they find appropriate to use HTML5, they instanciate the HTML5 player and play the contents (which is fine), BUT then suddenly, for some insane reason, they still display the "You need Flash" message above it. Why? Absolutely no idea.

SOMETIMES, the advertised HTML5 video links (mp4/webm...) return empty contents, which leads to no working playback, obviously.

The list could grow a lot, but well... :)

In any case, in order to have Youtube working in Odyssey, you need latest userscripts to fix Youtube's mess, and you also need the Flash plugin (to counter their smart strategies leading to "you have no flash" even though HTML5 is behind and already playing...).

Regarding a real fullscreen mode, it could be done, but there's a conceptual issue doing this : imagine you switch back to workbench/odyssey window during playback. What would i show there? It's not that easy to handle.

In the current overlay mode + fullscreen mode (triggered by F11 or fullscreen from view menu entry), you can at least hide the controls with mmb. The tabs/borders are still visible, but maybe i'll find a way to hide that somehow, who knows.

Last edited by Fab on 24-Sep-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 24-Sep-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 26-Feb-2014 4:29:51
#7 ]

Quote:

Fab wrote:
Just to be a bit more precise on the topic, Youtube just heavily sucks, and making it work in HTML5 video is not that easy, even when the browser supports it perfectly... During the last months, they progressively installed a real nightmare regarding flash/html5 modes.

Youtube Centre should save you all that annoying work in the future Fab, and seems to be actively maintained.

(EDIT: Download the script from the dropbox link on the page referenced above - clicking on the 'source code' tab of this page seems to send Odyssey into some codeset-related loop.)

Youtube Centre is a richly-featured, and highly configurable Youtube-html5 interface which works unaltered on OWB, and replaces both youtube.js and youtube_ezdownload.js. (Download buttons are integrated into page below video)

Fullscreenfix script is still required for fullscreen though.

It also works with Vevo vids and Vimeo, and so far I haven't found a Youtube video I can't play.

Enjoy.

For reference, to install:
Download the script (or copy/paste into an ed window and save) as sys:applications/OWB/scripts/YoutubeCentre.js
Launch Odyssey, open scripts window (RMB>Windows>Scripts).
Add YoutubeCentre.js and remove/deactivate youtube.js and youtube_ezdownload.js (gadgets at bottom left of window).
Restart the browser (or at least create new tabs).
Profit.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 26-Feb-2014 at 04:35 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 26-Feb-2014 14:41:17
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

Wow, incredible that that massive script works straight away on OWB! Great, lots of options there although a bit bloated for many. I forced all videos to HTML5 with it, don't know if that automatic setting would work too... anyway, all lately problematic videos do work now again.

BTW. Fab updated his YouTube script today too. It's lighter and should do the job too.

Last edited by jPV on 26-Feb-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Last edited by jPV on 26-Feb-2014 at 02:43 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle