Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

RobertB

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  49 secs ago
 agami:  17 mins ago
 Matt3k:  27 mins ago
 matthey:  52 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 43 mins ago
 Torque:  5 hrs 52 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  New Amiga Inc. website!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
djnick 
Re: New Amiga Inc. website!
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:48:26
#81 ]
Cult Member

I still hope amiga.com is HACKED because noone normal will let have this HORRIFYING looking... "site"... I have seen various stuff over the net but nothing similar to this... have no idea how to describe, but... AWFUL looking amiga.com presentation really makes my head exploded today...

I have no words to describe my shock when connected there...

well... if this is not hacked then this is really THE END :( when come home I`ll have to sell my ppc amiga and close the circle once for good... the last hope died today... 8`-(

Profile     Report this post  
xeron 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:50:16
#82 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@djnick

Because of a website? Don't you think thats a bit crazy? If you saw a billboard poster for your model of car, that looked amateurish, would you sell your car? Even if it was a really nice car?

smithy 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:50:59
#83 ]

@thinkchip
Quote:

All this talk about how bad the web-site looks is being too critical. They have more to do than make the web-site pretty -- like releasing OS 4 within the next few months. KMOS has been reluctant to make frivolous claims. As a user of OS4 I believe it's possible.

I believe the "Now scheduled for commercial release in early 2005" quote was put there to put Hyperion and Eyetech under pressure. As soon as OS4 is out of the door, then the third partys' part is over and Amiga Inc can get back to concentrating on DE, and ensure that "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution.".

opi 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:51:24
#84 ]
Team Member

*Edited*

*Reason: No trolling, please*

Last edited by Eric_S on 18-Mar-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:51:30
# ]

@Thread

Wow....

Now I understand why the community self destructed..

ITS A WEBSITE.

It is not Gary Hare's personal strategy of turning the Amiga into whatever.
It is not a detailed licencing agreement.
It is not contractual information about the status of Amiga operating system development.

Get a grip people.. You've practicaly created a whole new conspiracy about this, that and whatnot based on short descriptions.

It's a rough guide to whats going on. Don't examine every word to see what mystical significance its might hold..

Sigh... No wonder the Bible codes "theory" has reached the best sellers list.

OK people, take a breath... Relax... Hold what you already know about KMOS/Amiga in your head... Relax again... Browse the Amiga site and scoff internaly about some typos or slight inaccuracies with some of the details and laugh out loud at the appaling choice of imagry used on the front page.. And thats it..

No need to start writing AOS 5 off.. Or Eyetech or any of the other half-brained theories your in danger of turning into more FUD..

Sheesh... Condemmed if they don't say anything, condemmed if they do...

Report this post  
smithy 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:55:03
#86 ]

@DruidPoet
Quote:

No need to start writing AOS 5 off..

I'm sure it will happen. But it won't be what we know as AmigaOS1-4, it'll be some DE variant. That doesn't make it AmigaOS in my eyes any more than renaming Windows XP to AmigaOS would.

opi 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:56:29
#87 ]
Team Member

@xeron

Quote:
Because of a website? Don't you think thats a bit crazy? If you saw a billboard poster for your model of car, that looked amateurish, would you sell your car?

Yes, it's 2005. You can't sell IT good without a proper website. If a company can not build a decent looking page, who would trust them on other products? And I didn't saw a amateurish poster of a car. Maybe because other companies knows that noone will care about adv. made with Paint and printed on dotprinter.

Yes, some can do different. If one have a outstanding & superb product. Amiga, INC. don't have such product.

Last edited by opi on 18-Mar-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:57:51
# ]

@smithy

Quote:

I'm sure it will happen. But it won't be what we know as AmigaOS1-4, it'll be some DE variant. That doesn't make it AmigaOS in my eyes any more than renaming Windows XP to AmigaOS would.

Sorry, I missed the page where it says that.. Can you point me to it?

Report this post  
BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:58:53
#89 ]

This community is just starting to make me sick. I come here because I love the Amiga OS and all I see is this kind of Crap!

God people get a grip! I'm far more dissapointed in this so called community than I am in the new Amiga website.

If I was a developer I would walk away and never look back.

Gopal 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 15:59:41
#90 ]

@the usual whiners (especially takemehomegrandma)

A lot can be said about the new design. But Amiga Inc is not a design office.
It´s about content. And the content is better (more correct) now, than it was before.

Do something usefull. Stop whining (as in STFU).
Some of you guys do more harm to the community than Amiga Inc ever did.

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:00:51
#91 ]

@opi

Quote:
Yes, it's 2005. You can't sell IT good without a proper website.

Thats absolute crap. I can point you to some pretty flashy sites for companies that arnt even in business any more.

opi 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:02:31
#92 ]
Team Member

@BobW

And? Point me to a succesful company without a product, with a lousy page.

-Sam- 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:04:27
#93 ]
Elite Member

@DruidPoet

Quote:
ITS A WEBSITE.

It is still important. It is a). how the world views the company and b). a way of telling the world what they are doing.

A quick rehash of the old site with worse graphics, and a virtual dropping of the 'Real Amiga' line in favour of rebranding some, very underwhelming, TAO Group software does not look good. Well not to me - I'm not sure what everyone else is here for.

Not sure what AInc. is doing here. If they really want DE to succeed then they will have to invest much more time and money on their site and product. DE may be just as hard a product, if not harder, to push than the Amiga itself.

I wonder if their strategy is to just get as much cash back for the VC firm as possible? If that was the case then they may be desperately trying to just get at least one contract out of it to pay something back. Sorry if that sounds very cynical but you have to question motives when such a poor website is put forward. Looks more like a 'smash and grab' than a genuine attempt to build a long-term company.

Almost a year of silence and this is the best website they could come up with? It all looks very sad.

smithy 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:06:50
#94 ]

@DruidPoet
[/quote]

Sorry, I missed the page where it says that.. Can you point me to it?[/quote]

It doesn't say that, I am speculating based on the following statemens:

About Amiga Inc's activities today" (no mention of AmigaOS)
Quote:

Today Amiga builds on this legacy leading the way in multimedia development by providing developers with hardware-independent technologies for writing and porting applications to new platform and interactive devices.

..as well as the other one I quoted.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:09:03
# ]

Quote:

smithy wrote:

As soon as OS4 is out of the door, then the third partys' part is over and Amiga Inc can get back to concentrating on DE, and ensure that "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution.".

Hi smithy,

???

Now it feels like you're just trolling.

"the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution."

It's not that clear what that means.

How are you going to find a new bunch of programmers that will be willing to sift through 43,000+ lines of PPC assembler that the Friedens and rest have been willing to write???

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:14:23
# ]

Quote:

smithy wrote:

But it won't be what we know as AmigaOS1-4, it'll be some DE variant.

Hi smithy,

Didn't you mean "DE viant"???

Report this post  
BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:18:15
#97 ]

@opi

Well you could go Here for some examples.

Thats not the point. The old site was a jumble of different styles and outdated information. Now we have an updated site with a common look. It's an improvement and it's not the end of the world.

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:21:29
#98 ]

@-Sam-

Quote:
virtual dropping of the 'Real Amiga' line in favour of rebranding some, very underwhelming, TAO Group software does not look good.

News flash. The 'Real Amiga' line was dropped YEARS ago. This is nothing new. Nothing has changed.

smithy 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:25:08
#99 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:

smithy wrote:

As soon as OS4 is out of the door, then the third partys' part is over and Amiga Inc can get back to concentrating on DE, and ensure that "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution.".

Hi smithy,

???

Now it feels like you're just trolling.

"the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution."

It's not that clear what that means.

How are you going to find a new bunch of programmers that will be willing to sift through 43,000+ lines of PPC assembler that the Friedens and rest have been willing to write???

Exactly. But as "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution" then who else will do it? The answer: nobody. Because the complete lack of prominance of AmigaOS on their site reflects their priorities rather well I think.

Nihilvor 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:31:49
#100 ]

What does seem clear is that Garry Hare has changed his plan from when he first bought the rights to now with this new merger. Someone should ask him about his original interest in the Amiga OS and that “customer.”

[ http://amigaworld.net/modules/features/index.php?op=r&cat_id=3&rev_id=50&sort_by ]

Question 2.1: Does KMOS have any direct stake in Amiga Inc., besides the buying of rights over the Operating System and possibly some trademark agreements?

Garry: KMOS's rights are to the OS and associated naming and trademarks. We can and will, for example, ship the operating system under the Amiga One Partner agreement as "Amiga OS 4.0". Amiga retains ownership to its name, trademarks and DE product.

Q... now that KMOS is involved has anything substantially changed?

Garry: No. Nothing should change. Eyetech, Hyperion and KMOS have a common interest.

Garry: I like Amiga's DE product and, particularly their distribution agreement with Microsoft and, I trust, others. Given my content background it is a natural interest. But I am focused on the requirements of a specific customer. This solution does not require DE.

It seems that McEwen has perhaps gotten to him. Thus, I do understand something of the disappointment here, since the new website downplays the Amiga OS to some extent. At least we have Hyperion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle