Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  32 mins ago
 matthey:  45 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
whose 
Re: Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 2:57:56
#181 ]
Cult Member

@Samwel

Sry that I may disappoint you,but I am µA1 owner and I _have_ these freezes (can´t post earlier, as I had to create an account first)

BUT:

I had the _same_ freezes with my A4000/CSPPC for a long time now. Since a few days (I switched back to FFS recently) the A4000 is stable as a rock, playing mp3 and networking with heavy loads (samba and Envoy). Some curiosity: It has problems booting up, it stops most of the time when trying to initialize _Delfina soundcard_.

I suspected cooling problems all the time but never managed to find a suitable solution for my A4000 (Elbox tower), as I suspect the CVPPC as the heat source and its location in this casing is a little bit flurry. Maybe it will start to freeze again in a few days, I can´t predict (as with the freezes ), but then I will try to mount a fan somewhere near to the CSPPC, blowing cool air above it.

Now I use the two casing fans in my µ2019 case (blowing "hot" air out to the rear, feels like storm ) and my µA1 seems to run stable. Last test lasts 6 hours, no freeze at all. I will start a longer test today, starting AmigaAMP and AWeb (mostly it´s sufficient to only start AWeb besides AmigaAMP. Even if in "idle mode", the machine freezes too. No network load is needed for the freeze. "It´s just a question of time" (DM) ) and let it run all the day. I will inform you all if it freezes at last or not.

Greetz

Last edited by whose on 22-Jun-2005 at 02:59 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Fraggel 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 6:23:22
#182 ]

@Samwel

I'm running at 933, and the cooler copper plate is around 50-60 degrees when cpu is fully loaded. I'll try with 1,85.

I have a SB live soundcard btw. and use a router with radosignals too my "gateway" pc/internet.

ikir 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 10:18:32
#183 ]
Elite Member

@whose

At what vcore are you running? Are the cooler stable on your cpu?
It is the first time i read about this problem on a Micro.
Quote:
Now I use the two casing fans in my µ2019 case (blowing "hot" air out to the rear, feels like storm ) and my µA1 seems to run stable

Good

@all
As i'cve said before is it likely a vcore or heat problem. if you're A1 is cool enough, investigate on the vcore.

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 11:16:31
#184 ]
Cult Member

@ikir

Don´t know the vcore setting yet, will have a look on it later. µA1 freezed again A4000 doesn´t freeze, running >10 hours now (heavy stress tests, downloading and playing 320KBit/s mp3 all the time).

I don´t think anymore that it´s a VCore problem or heat, as the A4000 suffered the same freeze problem for a long time but runs ok since a few days. I don´t know exactly what I have changed by the switch back to FFS but I strongly believe it´s a software problem.

In the meantime I discovered a difference in AmigaAMP settings between A4000 and µA1, it is the setting "Freeze visualisation during pause" in the "Visual" tab. It´s set for the A4000 and was unset for the µA1. I will repeat the tests with this option set and time will show...

I have to say something more about the freeze problem for the A4000, I think.

I had this freezes for many years now on this machine (from the time I purchased the CSPPC, starting with PUP), so it is possibly a problem of the 68K part of AmigaAMP/Amplifier in conjunction with the WarpUp part, which causes the freeze (running 68K only was always no problem at all, any part of the decoding/playing done with WOS-support _is_ a problem in any case, even using mpega.library for WOS!).

Maybe it´s the visualisation part disturbing WarpOS in any way, as visualisation locks the screen bitmap many times a second.

As I discovered earlier, most of the freezes happen when changing to another mp3 or when AWeb/IBrowse/Voyager are accessing their buffers on disk (don´t know exactly, but I suppose that AmigaAMP/Amplifier data loading is done via WOS, if WOS decoding is used, so there are likely very much context switches at this moment).

This appears to be nearly equal on both machines.

Greetz

ikir 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 11:31:20
#185 ]
Elite Member

@whose

If the machine and sound freeze you can reboot only with the case button, it is probably an heat problem OR vcore problem. Other crashes can be a software issue. Maybe some settings can make the crash faster.

Check your vcore

Try to over cool the cpu and see if it crash. It is strange issue on a G3. Is your cooler stable?

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 12:57:02
#186 ]
Cult Member

@ikir

Quote:

ikir wrote:
@whose

If the machine and sound freeze you can reboot only with the case button, it is probably an heat problem OR vcore problem. Other crashes can be a software issue. Maybe some settings can make the crash faster.

Indeed, one setting will makeit crash nearly immediately... setting UBoot NOT to use interrupts for IDE makes it crash after a few seconds

Quote:

Check your vcore

Will do in a few minutes. Hope I can read the jumper setting correctly

Quote:

Try to over cool the cpu and see if it crash. It is strange issue on a G3. Is your cooler stable?

What do you mean with "cooler running stable"? The fan works flawlessy all the time, increasing speed after a few minutes uptime but initial speed is quite high already. I´ve opened the side of the case now, so I can see the core voltage jumpers etc. and have more cooling... time will tell, if it happens again

Greetz

P.S.: Thats really a strange issue, as the A4000 (which is beneath the µA1, getting his power from the same plug) runs for 12 hours now, no freeze and no hardware change made, so I wonder if it is cooled better since a few days???.

P.P.S.: µA1 freezed again

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 13:05:46
#187 ]
Cult Member

Core voltage: 1,44, as unofficial µA1 handbook states.

Greetz

ikir 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 13:12:33
#188 ]
Elite Member

@whose

For stable i mean... it doens't move on the cpu, if it is mounted ok.

Mine default cooler for example was not mounted perfeclty and didn't do its job.

Quote:
getting his power from the same plug

mmmm try to change plug

Last edited by ikir on 22-Jun-2005 at 01:13 PM.

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 13:26:33
#189 ]
Cult Member

@ikir

Quote:

ikir wrote:
@whose

For stable i mean... it doens't move on the cpu, if it is mounted ok.

Mine default cooler for example was not mounted perfeclty and didn't do its job.

Yes, it´s mounted very properly

Quote:

Quote:
getting his power from the same plug

mmmm try to change plug

Done that already

I now try to vary the AmigaAMP settings, especially the priorities of the special tasks like main, playing, visualisation and the like, set them all to "0".

BTW, I´m programming with the A4000 now, no freeze at all. Only StormC behaves like a steam ship, crawling a little bit when using GCC mode... what wonder, as the A4000 is loaded to the limit now But why doesn´t it crash anymore

Greetings

Fraggel 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 16:00:31
#190 ]

@thread

My test with AmigaAMP playing over night (and alot off this day) was positive.
Amigaone was still playing my playlist in a loop when i got home from work.

Soo Sound alone is okey for me too, sound + network activity = bad

I will put my vcore to 1,85.. but i doubt this will help

amipal 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 17:27:43
#191 ]

@ikir

In an effort to ensure the my system is completely cooler, I'll be fitting my new heatsink + fan combo, as well as a heatsink for my memory module.

I'll take the opportunity to check my CPU type and VCore seetings aswell. Let's see what happens then!

Jacken 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 18:01:23
#192 ]

@Deniil715

On the cpu its 7450...

Have removed everything in the tower and cleaned it...
What is dust...puuu...

So my info don't help...

FuZion 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 18:08:47
#193 ]

@Fraggel

Me too.

Quote:
2.Workbench:> c:Uptime
System has been up since 22-Jun-05 01:20:54 (total uptime 16:35:59)

Not a LONG time I know, but compared to the "few" hours before a lockup occurs under my previous tests, this is a milestone.

I started audio last night (AMPlifier) playing mp3's & aiff's at random, left it on overnight & while I was at work. This has been running with my WBStartup dir in tact, my user-startup launched upon boot up & all with "eth3com" connected but, as you call it, idle (ie. No network traffic).

I have also had the GLMatrix screen saver running throughout the whole time which takes the processor usage from somewhere in the region of 5-10% (Using the visual display of CPUClock in AmiDock) to 100%!

I am really beginning to doubt the heat problem with this particular bug as the CPU has been working it's b******s off all day doing this & today is a VERY hot & humid day in Birmingham, UK.

I am SO certain that this is the combination of audio playing & network accessing. Now, whether it's audio.device, eth3com.devicde or another link in the chain I have now got to try & establish (Quite time consuming this bug hunting innit ).

FuZion.

Deniil715 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 18:51:33
#194 ]
Elite Member

@thread

The last test I did was like this:
a. Applying heavy cooling with open case and more and faster fans.
b. Running AmigaAmp and VNC.
c. 2GB and for 4 hours later it locked up, as expected. BZZZZZZZZZZ....

The current test I do is this:
a. Removing the heavy cooling and reverting to closed case and slow fans.
b. Running VNC and disabled every program that could play a sound.
c. 20GB and 11 hours later it is still running!

It actually did run well above 6 hours more than this, but I got the DHCP lease timeout and needed to restart the net and lost the total GB transfered.

During both tests, a1ide.device was activated, but not actively used. I also have all programs and patches (i.e. WBStartup) running as normal. Again it is proved with high certainty that heat is not the issue, not in the CPU, not in the Articia, and nowhere else. Also using only audio, idle net, has been proven for a year to be stable on my machine. Net+audio hangs my machine. But I'll keep the test running until the computer quits, one way or the other.... Stay tuned

Last edited by Deniil715 on 22-Jun-2005 at 06:54 PM.

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 19:26:54
#195 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Quote:

I am SO certain that this is the combination of audio playing & network accessing. Now, whether it's audio.device, eth3com.devicde or another link in the chain I have now got to try & establish (Quite time consuming this bug hunting innit ).
FuZion.

I am quite certain that it isn´t any of the devices that cause the trouble... try to let AmigaAMP play, start AWeb or Ibrowse and just load one site, then leave it alone... it´s just a question of time when your machine freezes, I bet. No network _load_ is needed, just one access to the net. As it is here with my µA1 and _was_ (I just even don´t know, why it don´t freeze anymore, &%$§!) with my A4000.

All priority adjustments are useless, it freezed again Now I try something completely different As I remember, I did a clean reinstall of OS4 recently and changed the buffer size of the HD partitions. Last they were 80, now they are 500. My A4000 has 80 buffers per partition. So I try a multiple of 80 for the µA1, 640 buffers for each partition. Let´s wait and see...

Greetz

Deniil715 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 20:41:21
#196 ]
Elite Member

@whose

I always have the net activated and used sporadically. Checking mail every 20 mins, AmIRC uses ping to stay alive, I surf a bit. All while playing music and it mostly goes forever (many days in a row and it rarely ends with this hang).

I have to load the net continously while playing music to lock it up.

And I don't think your A4000 lockups have anything at all to do with those of the A1s. Very different hardware and a completely different TCP/IP stack.

@thread

My previous test, loading the net heavily using VNC just ended with a hang. It ran for 12.5 hours and 25GB data was transfered. The last half hour I got bored of waiting so I started to download stuff on FTP (while having VNC running with lots of animation on the screen), but after half an hour or so at 4-5MB/s it hanged.

I can't tell what kind of hang (the buzzing or not) as I was not playing any sound or music at all. But I noticed that NetMon kept on displaying the network activity (which dropped to very low) and the animations (played by IB) kept running for a short while too after mouse, keyboard and network stopped. Only the case reset worked, the keyboard was completely locked out.

Now, could this be due to a quite high HD activity (2-3MB/s) during the FTP now at the end?? I have a SIL680 running at UDMA100. Could it be AmFTP that is buggy? Or something else?

Bean 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 20:49:18
#197 ]

@Deniil715

I can also crash the machine, but I really have to stress it to do so.

I think I should hook up serial cable to see if anything is reported as I can crash it after several hours of constantly FTP'ing data and playing music. As you reported playing music on it's own and general use of the Network is fine.

Hooking up now, see if I can find anything.

Cheers,
Bean.

P.S. I use the standard ftp command.

Last edited by Bean on 22-Jun-2005 at 08:50 PM.

whose 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 20:56:26
#198 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:
@whose

I always have the net activated and used sporadically. Checking mail every 20 mins, AmIRC uses ping to stay alive, I surf a bit. All while playing music and it mostly goes forever (many days in a row and it rarely ends with this hang).

I have to load the net continously while playing music to lock it up.

And I don't think your A4000 lockups have anything at all to do with those of the A1s. Very different hardware and a completely different TCP/IP stack.

Hmm, I think it´s exactly the same thing, as the symptome is exactly the same. Audio or networking alone works, audio an networking together -> freeze with a buzzing noise and only reset button will help. Much more often freezes when playing with Amplifier (the µA1).

I wish I could say why the A4000 doesn´t freeze anymore. I must have changed something IDE related, but I can´t find anything special Will try further...

Greetz

amipal 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 21:19:04
#199 ]

@amipal

Replying to myself here... Very bad... Sorry...
Anywho, I'm about to tear the guts from my machine to install the barrage of cooling devices I have here...

Wish me luck...

Steff 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 22:56:52
#200 ]

@amipal

Luck!

@Thread

OK, haven't had time to do much testing lately but today I did a few things.

But first I have:

an AOne XE with hardware fix
Iirc it's a 7451 at 1066mhz and vcore set to 1.79v
Radeon 9100 128 meg
onboard ethernet
Soundblaster 5.1
Sil 680/harddrive and A1ide.device/dvdrom+cdrw
512mb TwinMOS unregistered ram

I can bring down the system pretty easily by downloading 9 debian iso's (the first 9 disks of the cd version) at a time from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/powerpc/iso-cd/ while playing a list of tunes on AmigaAmp.

Change the vcore up one step to 1.84v and the same thing happens.

Change the vcore down two steps to 1.74v and the same results.

All this within a few minutes.

Keeping the vcore at 1.74v I start AmigaAmp after reboot and continue downloading (nice feature) only the first ISO of the debian cd version and nothing happens after several hours. I have RC5-72 going again and playing trailers with mplayer make no difference. My guess is I could be doing this for a long time.

We can conclude that networking and audio is the problem and since file transfer is inherent in the whole networking thingy what is unique about the networking that brings the system down and regular networking that doesn't?

In my case it seems to be more of how many files I'm downloading than the size of any files as I could get 2gb of the dvd version of debian ISO while playing music but not even a few hundred kb when downloading many files at once?

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle