Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 secs ago
 Matt3k:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  39 mins ago
 Karlos:  47 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  52 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  I've decided to stop my project
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: I've decided to stop my project
Posted on 24-May-2005 0:38:02
# ]

Quote:
nicholas wrote:

What would Genesi possibly gain by having AA ported to the Pegasos?

Hi nicholas,

This I am clueless about.

They've been working on this for nearly 5 years, and it's not 'any'where.

Rebol would seem to have been something better to buy/enhance/promote.

Maybe I still don't understand what it is?

It totally depends on TAO's SW under it to work. That, in my opionion, was not good to start with. AA on TAO on someOS.

It's as bad as the idea to run AOS on linux was, man that had me all up in arms!

Just think of all the $$$,$$$ wasted on that. BUT, if it DOES pan out, well, we'll be getting a G5 MB in NO time!!!!!!!

I really, really hope AA and AOS5.0 don't merge. I hope if it comes over, it's just an application, like JavaVM.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 0:43:22
#102 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

No matter what you argue, this has been answered by officials of both sides (Amiga Inc. and Hyperion), only products sold with AmigaOS4 need a licence. Else it would be impossible for anyone else apart from the hardware manufacturer to get a licence (which is *not* the case, or at least it's not supposed to be, according to Amiga Inc). Each Pegasos for example has a unique hardware serial number, you could use this to lock each copy to one machine (through activation or something), exactly what happened with MorphOS for BPPC, in the old, demo days. You can have a keyfile at a HAL level, not too hard to crack (well, there's no way to make something unbreakable)... Both AmigaOS4 and MorphOS1.5 (including a version for PowerUP cards) have been leaked at the usual channels and both teams are pissed of course. Now, let's say that each copy of AmigaOS 4 has a unique serial number. As does a Pegasos. Now, on installation, you could make a personalized keyfile online (or have a dealer do it for you if you have no net access). The server must have a list of all serial numbers sold and should tie each with a machine serial number on installation. The keyfile created can then be embedded into the HAL, which will not let the OS be launched on any system it's not registered for. Now, what if the user changes machine, there should be an option to register that system, instead. That *will* work as the user will not have the option to keep the old keyfile, it won't work with updates of the OS.

I will not buy a micro. Why? Because it doesn't fit my needs. Make a full motherboard at a reasonable price and I will buy it. When I have the money that is.

On the edited out part, nothing much I just called you "god damn clueless", sorry about that.

Profile     Report this post  
Interesting 
Posted on 24-May-2005 1:30:41
#103 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@AMiGR

Quote:
No matter what Garry says, the old company did not liquidate, did it? It did not declare bankruptcy. If it didn't, all contracts are still valid... AND debts...

ahhh, you forgot one little item the year that passed. In US courts those "harmed" would have a year to sue. That time has passed, thats prob. why the KMOS buyout etc. happened the way it did.

Interesting 
Posted on 24-May-2005 1:34:37
#104 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
I will not buy a micro. Why? Because it doesn't fit my needs. Make a full motherboard at a reasonable price and I will buy it. When I have the money that is.

puts AmiGR on the buyers list....lol

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 1:37:29
# ]

Quote:
AMiGR wrote:
@Atheist

No matter what you argue, this has been answered by officials of both sides (Amiga Inc. and Hyperion), only products sold with AmigaOS4 need a licence. Else it would be impossible for anyone else apart from the hardware manufacturer to get a licence (which is *not* the case, or at least it's not supposed to be, according to Amiga Inc).

Hi AMiGR,

Well, what you say here does make sense, because only the HW manufacturer would have the HW figures.

However, it's implicitly understood, with Eyetech's agreement, that every piece of HW they sell, does have the AOS4.x overhead built in. Even if you're writing your own AMiGR_OS for it.

Quote:
Each Pegasos for example has a unique hardware serial number, you could use this to lock each copy to one machine (through activation or something), exactly what happened with MorphOS for BPPC, in the old, demo days.

I didn't know this was possible. I remember they started putting serial numbers inside, but I thought they only did that starting with pentiums.

Quote:

I can't argue with that. I want a micro, only to put in an Amiga Phantasy case, but I'd like it more powerful than the current incarnation, say at least 128 MB of video ram, and a 7000 (they still make those GPUs?)? Got to be kidding me!

It is a high price to buy an AmigaOne. But, for me, I must buy one more, or see it evaporate away. I won't buy any current model again, though, I'm looking, waiting for the full sized XC to become available, then I'll try to buy 2 of them.

Thank you for the apology. I've been called worse things.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 1:43:01
#106 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Quote:
Well, what you say here does make sense, because only the HW manufacturer would have the HW figures.

However, it's implicitly understood, with Eyetech's agreement, that every piece of HW they sell, does have the AOS4.x overhead built in. Even if you're writing your own AMiGR_OS for it.

Again, this takes no arguementation, it was clarified by both Hyperion and Amiga Inc *many* times, anyone can get a licence, be that a dealer, a company or anything. Only machines sold with AmigaOS need a licence. Else the AmigaOS would be dead by default, banning usage on any hardware not made for the Amiga market. If one manages to get Mac docs somehow and wants to sell G5s with AmigaOS4, *they* can get a licence, *not* Apple.

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 1:44:02
#107 ]
Team Member

@Interesting

Why is that worth laughing at, Interesting? Wanna clarify? Oh, I forgot, I'm that big blue troll, I cannot possibly like AmigaOS4... Right? Right?

Interesting 
Posted on 24-May-2005 3:15:48
#108 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
Why is that worth laughing at, Interesting? Wanna clarify? Oh, I forgot, I'm that big blue troll, I cannot possibly like AmigaOS4... Right? Right?

nah, you should be in politics.

you know there are very slim chances of a larger motherboard in the near future.

second you installed a way out, dealing with how much cash you have available.

AmiGR what would be a good price for a motherboard with say 4 PCI slots, a decent PPC micro, USB 2.0 onboard etc., and a move past AGP to the next level of graphics slots express or PCI X?

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 4:00:07
#109 ]
Team Member

@Interesting

Hm, for the current market size, I'd say 400-500 for a fast G4 and the current AmigaOne prices for a G5. Obviously, a dual G5 would be more expensive. Else, I'll have to settle down with my BPPC.

On the money issue, I bought a Dual G5 3 months ago, which obviously means that I'm broke...

Last edited by AMiGR on 24-May-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Last edited by AMiGR on 24-May-2005 at 04:01 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 5:08:28
# ]

Hi AMiGR,

I wonder how much it would cost to make a motherboard with NO G5 on it, and transplant one from a MacIntosh?

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 5:12:40
#111 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Noone, and I mean noone, would ever transplant a G5 from a PowerMac to another machine...

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 5:17:29
# ]

Hi AMiGR,

So, if a Pegasos came out, and you could take one of the two 970 CPUs you have, and put it in there to save a bundle, you wouldn't?

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:01:32
#113 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Of course I wouldn't. Why would I cannibalize a system with which I can do all my work plus play some games + have some fun doing other stuff (even producing tracks, I recently produced the guitars for a prog band I know) that also is state of art? To use MorphOS/AmigaOS/(yuk)Linux? No, thank you...

Last edited by AMiGR on 24-May-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:19:35
# ]

Quote:
AMiGR wrote:
@Atheist

that also is state of art? To use MorphOS/AmigaOS/(yuk)Linux? No, thank you...

Hi AMiGR,

What % Amigan are you then?

You know that the cost of 970's, when bought in Macs are way cheaper than what Genesi can get them for, so you wouldn't pull one out to put on an unpopulated MB to save big bucks?

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:23:16
#115 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

What % of an Amigan I am? A realistic percent. I have to seperate fun from work if I intend to finish my course, you know. Since there is no software to do the work I need to do, give me one reason to cannibalize the Mac.

Let me ask you something... So you have a PC? Most people in here do. Well, I don't have one here in the UK (where I live for 8 months of a year) and I don't intend to get one at any point, because of the Mac. If I cannibalize it (which I wouldn't do anyway, it's a hell of a machine), I will have to buy a PC for work. No thank you.

Last edited by AMiGR on 24-May-2005 at 06:26 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:44:20
#116 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:
Quite why Genesi would want AA on the Pegasos I'd never know.

You will have to ask the Genesi managers, they were really quick to reveal their AmigaDE/AA agreement to the public when they still managed the now bankrupt Thendic-France/Thendic Electronics.

But if I had to make a guess I think they just used this deal to get the Amiga community's attention (they wouldn't have to pay anything, unil AmigaDE was available and sold with their never released WinCE based products, IMO it was an agreement in 'good faith' on Amiga Inc's part). At the time they weren't involved with bPlan, so I think it's unlike they would have gotten into this agreement to abuse the contract for promoting AmigaOS4 for the Pegasos.

Quote:
Christ, I wouldn't have it for free!

Some like you wouldn't "have it for free" and some others would even pay for AmigaDE software to be used with AmigaOS4 desktops:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8989&forum=3

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:50:10
#117 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Actually, you haven't been paying attention it seems... They publically said what we already knew, they sued to shut Amiga Inc. up about MorphOS, something they had been spreading FUD about for a long long time.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2005 6:56:43
#118 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
A support network? Sorry, Mike, we saw how much Amiga Inc. checks the support network.

Yes, they did and IMO they were right to have faith in Eyetech at the time. Eyetech had an excellent reputation as an Amiga dealer and (especially in combination with Mai Logic's team) access to good technical know-how. Alan is a good public speaker and invested lots of resources into getting the AmigaOne project going. They did built a global A1 dealer network, the products did materialize and unforeseen costly issues have been dealt with.

With regard to the Pegasos2, Amiga Inc will have to check and make a judgement based on the *current* reputation, competence and handlings of any potential partner. They cannot look into a crystal ball and see how company A or B would handle things when they run into issues. In *hindsight* I am sure Amiga Inc would wish that they never signed an agreement with Thendic-France/Bill Buck and in hindsight I am sure Mai Logic would wish that they never partnered with bPlan in the first place. But that's just hindsight and nothing more.

Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2005 at 07:12 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2005 7:08:48
#119 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
They publically said what we already knew, they sued to shut Amiga Inc. up about MorphOS

I know that they said they did (how professional...). But they stated lots of conflicting things on public forums. Nonesense like "The Hyperion/Eyetech OS 4.0 Agreement will be declared "null and void and of no force or effect.""

Anyway I was referring to BBRV's original intention with regard to the contract.

Quote:
something they had been spreading FUD about for a long long time.

Actually a leak originating from (according to BBRV) one of BBRV's drunk employees got most of the public attention during the times of turmoil. The rumours of copyright IP theft by Ralph Schmidt were already circulating long before the current Amiga Inc incorporated or that the MorphOS project officially got started.

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 7:24:29
#120 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

I'll only comment on the last part. MAI Logic would with that they never partnered with bPlan? Ehm, Mike, who was it that distributed fliers that the ArticiaS is broken? It was Eyetech. bPlan was still under NDA, they couldn't talk about the problem. Now, bPlan had to make MAI believe that their chip does not hace Cache Coherency, develop an ultra expensive fix and replace all motherboards at their own cost. Now, who should wish they had never partnered with whom? Sorry Mike, MAI has proved that they are utterly incompetent.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle