Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  23 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr ago
 matthey:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 Ratta:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  I've decided to stop my project
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
coze 
Re: I've decided to stop my project
Posted on 22-May-2005 6:51:42
#41 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
The sale of Eyetech's machines would drop to zero. This WILL bankrupt them. I don't see any benefit to that at all.

that makes me wonder, how many a1's they manage to sell at the moment ... see what we've got here ...

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.eyetech.co.uk Port 80

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-May-2005 6:53:29
# ]

@coze

Chiba Japan? Cool I know of someone else from there...

Eyetech doesnt actually sell AmigaONEs, not since, what October 2003?

It just acts as the distributer, collecting all the orders and paying for the manufacturer.

Report this post  
winnetcom 
Posted on 22-May-2005 7:00:06
#43 ]

@Acill

How about another $15K for Rogue to be your partner ? Bet he could get an answer.

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-May-2005 7:03:29
# ]

@winnetcom

How about we paypal donate, until we can buy Amiga Inc from K-MART. You know that might work, but all the community squabbling to run a company...? Hmm.

Amiga Inc, as owned by The Kommunity. Eeek.

Maybe someone could buy the licensing side from Gateway, or the OS part of the contract between them and the AmigaONE Partners.

Then we could license it for the Mac, ACK, Momentum and that thingy Senex was up to.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-May-2005 7:06:28
# ]

Hi Wiffy,

How much do we have to PayPal Eyetech to get the 20 answers?

I'm in for $20!

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-May-2005 7:09:21
# ]

@Atheist

Report this post  
winnetcom 
Posted on 22-May-2005 7:20:27
#47 ]

@Wiffy

Couldn't really care less about a port to PEG, or current A1 h/w. Seems its all ancient history atleast 'til it's done'. I think its a poor choise of h/w thats holding up OS4. Kind of a chicken or egg thing.

Perhaps OS4 will be 'done' on some so far undisclosed h/w platform first...

virgolamobile 
Posted on 22-May-2005 8:52:27
#48 ]

I personally think that what we need here is:
1. OS4 completely finished
2. showing everywhere that OS4 is a trusty, speedy, easy and a funny to use OS
3. doing (2) attract important eyes on the platform
4. convincing Amiga Inc. to invest both in hardware and software dev
5. helping Amiga Inc. to find new ways *also* developing good software
6. helping developers *buying* software

MikeB 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:13:19
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Acill

Quote:
Busines is survival of the strongest. If Eyetech couldnt keep up then they are out, its the nature of the best is all.

IMO yes and no. Things often aren't as black & white as they seem at first sight...

For instance I believe there are valid reasons for Genesi to never actually release MorphOS for (any) Apple hardware and this unlike what was repeatedly promised in public! However I never read similar statements from Pegasos (nor from A1 fans) such as " If bPlan / Genesi couldnt keep up then they are out, its the nature of the best is all." Double standards maybe?

Any deal will have to make strategic business sense to both AI and Hyperion. I can imagine that AI wouldn't like to see the OS's flagship hardware platform become dependent on a directly competing OS provider, as Genesi (especially considering their history) and Apple both are. I can also imagine that AI would like to see a Peg2+OS4 solution be professionally branded and marketed as an official Amiga product and that there would be a demand for a proper support network (Garry seemed unhappy with the performance of some parts of the A1 dealership network, so if bPlan / Genesi would not be involved in any deal, this other party would have to come to an agreement and show their competence with regard to support).

So these and probably many more aspects need to be taken into consideration. Solely covering the development time and money needed to port Microsoft Windows to the Pegasos would not get M$ interested.

Last edited by MikeB on 22-May-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 22-May-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:20:06
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

As has been said in myriad Amiga tradeshows, the design of the AmigaONE and its Teron prototypes is done by a third party anyway, the production is done in the far east. Its not as if the design is suddenly going to pop out of existense.

Even if Eyetech could use this design without Mai (it's more than unclear who owns what IP and who's done what), how much use would it be without ArticiaS ??

You know there is a reason why Genesi did a more or less complete redesign after they broke with Mai, taking ~1 year of "inhouse" work. Eyetech don't have any "inhouse" resources and an outside company is likely to cost more $$ and time, 2 things in short supply.

And even if there is still a million of ArticiaS ling in some warehouse, it would still be 5 years old tech (something that can be said bout the whol A1 excepty the CPU), which won't get anymore attractive to the outside world.

It's also no secret that the Amiga-market isn't anywhere near big enough to bring prices down to a reasonble point, something that must be done in order get a bigger Amiga-market.

So "Amiga" needs a HW that is bought by outsiders, and it doesn't matter wether that is a Pegasos, a Mac (mini or not), AHT's STB or something else , but "Amiga" certainly can't have to many supported HWs.

Last edited by Kronos on 22-May-2005 at 09:36 AM.

captainmoomoo 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:38:33
#51 ]

Gee, I'm almost scared to state my opinion after all the previous flame wars I've seen on this forum. But I will anyway, but with no intention of flaming or warring...

I can understand why Amiga Inc. do not want to simply release AmigaOS4 on, say, Apple hardware, as it could lead to piracy and therefore lost sales. But let's look at it a little differently...

Porting the OS to Apple hardware would mean we have a much more solid and powerful platform for our favourite OS. We may lose some sales due to piracy, but how many sales have we lost so far due to comparitively underpowered, buggy, and extortionately priced hardware? There is a massive Apple user base out there, and porting the OS over would open it up to hundreds of thousands of potential new customers - many of which may have been ex-Amigans. Think of the potential!

Yeah yeah, I know, Amiga Inc. say that you gotta have a licence to have the OS on your hardware- but they're just shooting themselves in the foot with that IMO. Yeah, it's all about them making money in the long run, but they could do that through earning a royalty on each copy of the OS sold.

As for them worrying about competing with another major OS provider on the same hardware - well at the moment they're competing with even more major hardware platforms, which are more stable, mature, powerful, and cheaper than the AmigaOne.

I bet if the OS was ported to Apple hardware, we would have a MUCH larger Amiga user base than we do now, despite sales lost from piracy. And having a larger user base means that developers are much more likely to write/port applications for our OS.

Don't get me wrong, when I get back from India for my wedding ( ) I will definitely purchase a uA1 for myself, and will still be pushing for my department to purchase about 2-3 development kits. I just wish there was a better way for us to market our OS to the wider world...

captainmoomoo 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:42:10
#52 ]

Maybe one way of marketing the OS to the outside world is to make a demo 'LiveCD' that can be booted on Apple/Pegasos hardware?

At least that way, even if AmigaOS never gets released for these platforms, these users could then get an idea of what the OS is and how great it is. It might lead to an increase in sales.

I dunno, I'm just desparate for Amiga to take off again...

Metalheart 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:44:23
#53 ]
Elite Member

My 2 cents....

It's realy unprofessional of AmigaInc not to respond in anyway to ANY offer made to them, even a 'we are busy, but will get back to you soon' mail would suffice.

Unless they never got the mentined e-mail(s).
If this is the case (wich we can never be certain of), one should keep on trying to contact them in diiferent ways.
Maybe even via Amiga dealers / developers or even via Hyperion or Kmos.
Just to make sure you ARE heard by them.

It seems to be that AmigaInc keeps on doing what they did for a long time...
Sooner or later we need to get AmigaOS on different hardware, because the current hardware will get sold out, and we need cheaper hardware too.
But if the situation with AmigaInc not responding stays this way, it's unlikely that new hardware manufacturers (sp?) will apear.

I wonder what happend to get OS4 running on the 'mystery device' ?

Nothing against Eyetech, they are doing what they can. (I hope, because they are silent aswel...)

Cheers,

Martin

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-May-2005 9:56:37
# ]

@Kronos

Quote:

And even if there is still a million of ArticiaS ling in some warehouse, it would still be 5 years old tech (something that can be said bout the whol A1 excepty the CPU), which won't get anymore attractive to the outside world.

Something that also could be said about the Pegasos, 5 year old technology. So what? The point is that if people think that this is an indicator that the AmigaONE is no more would be sorely mistaken.

Im not going to cover ground beyond that, as there is no point. If you want a future proof design and a manufacturing base large enough and stable enough to keep on developing then you certainly don't want to go the Pegasos route.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:02:49
#55 ]
Elite Member

@captainmoomoo

Quote:
Gee, I'm almost scared to state my opinion after all the previous flame wars I've seen on this forum. But I will anyway, but with no intention of flaming or warring...

Pesonally I believe people posting at AW behave pretty well, especially compared to the behaviour shown at some other Amiga portals. Aren't you mixing up 'in-depth heated discussions' with actual flamewars?

A flame is "An insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger". If you believe this happens (sometimes it does, even if not always intentional) please hit the 'report abuse' button, so the moderators can have a look at it.

Quote:
There is a massive Apple user base out there, and porting the OS over would open it up to hundreds of thousands of potential new customers - many of which may have been ex-Amigans. Think of the potential!

IMO there certainly is a potential. However there are other issues to take into consideration as well, for instance with regard to hardware documentation. Be Inc tried this road before but ran into (original BeOS makers) trouble with Apple:

"To further complicate matters for Be, Apple refused to disclose information about its G3 line of computers – information which was critical to making BeOS work on the latest hardware from Apple."

captainmoomoo 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:08:19
#56 ]

@MikeB

Quote:
"To further complicate matters for Be, Apple refused to disclose information about its G3 line of computers – information which was critical to making BeOS work on the latest hardware from Apple."

But Yellow Dog have managed to do a fine job of making their flavour of linux run - even on the G5 machines. If they can do it, I'm sure the talented guys at Hyperion et. al. can do it too...

Rogue 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:09:10
#57 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Rob

Quote:
Wouldn't Hyperion be in a better position to help Acill get a deal going with Amiga Inc.

No. I'm afraid not.

Metalheart 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:13:45
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

But, you would be able to 'just' contact AmigaInc and point them to Acil ?
So we KNOW that AmigaInc knows about his proposal.....

Thanks,

Martin

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Kronos 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:16:53
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

DDR-RAM is still being used (only at higher clocks), GBit-Net is also as good as it gets, but most importanly Pegs do get sold outside "amiga", they do work with Linux (without to much hassle), they don't cost a fortune, they do have a working consumer-support and they are known by "big fishs".

One might discuss why and to what extent these things are, but it's quite clear that these are the minimum requirements for any HW to help sell AOS.

@MikeB
Youre comparing apples with horse-apples

Most of the reasons why people want OS4 on somet7hing other than A1s don't apply on the Peg/MOS-combo (pricing, support, reliabilty etc).

It has allways made clear that the MOS-crew decide which HW is supported. Atleast I can't remember them even advertizing an obscure licence that everybody should get.

Sure being dependant on a competing company is bad, but is it actually worse then what we have now ?

The 2nd part of that paragrah sound like your suggesting that the Peg can't be supported cos Eyetech did such a lousy job on consumer-relations

And offcourse M$ does have a sufficinet market-share and they also have enough HW-options, dunno why you trying to compare them to Hyperion (ups, apples and.... again).

The usual Be-is-dead-crap:

Be directly targeted to replace (classic)-MacOS with their OS, which in combintion with the mac-clones would have meant Apples certain death.

They made the same mistake when they went x86 and were trying take MS head on.

Offcourse they got shoot down twice

I think even the hardest BAF would be know have to admit that a Mac or x86 port wouldn't put fear into MS or Apple for several years to come, and there is hardly anything they could do if Amiga acts just a bit smarter than Be did.

MikeB 
Posted on 22-May-2005 10:42:37
#60 ]
Elite Member

@captainmoomoo

Quote:
But Yellow Dog have managed to do a fine job of making their flavour of linux run - even on the G5 machines. If they can do it, I'm sure the talented guys at Hyperion et. al. can do it too...

Linux is a widely used open sourced kernel which runs on a huge varierty of hardware platforms. To not have a properly supported flavour available for Apple hardware would actually hurt Apple's business. IMO Yellow Dog Linux does not really compete with MacOS X.

This is a reason why Terra Soft (makers of YDL) is an Apple Authorized Proprietary Solutions Provider!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle