Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 59 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 zipper:  7 hrs 6 mins ago
 Frank:  7 hrs 20 mins ago
 Lou:  8 hrs 13 mins ago
 bhabbott:  8 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOS 4 should be ported to Cell!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: AmigaOS 4 should be ported to Cell!
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 14:39:03
# ]

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
It's not the CPU specifically that's holding Amiga back, it's lack of reasonable hardware. As long as no reasonable hardware is available, that means there's no reasonable way to get OS4. As long as there's no reasonable way to get OS4, there's no reasonable way to convince developers that they should be developing for OS4.

The lack of reasonable hardware is bottlenecking the platform on all fronts.

I don't care about the Cell right now. It's not available, it's specs aren't completely confirmed, and until it appears it might as well be a hoax or hyped-up.

Two things, for those wanting Amiga OS 4 on x86-64:
1. AmigaForever x86-64
2. OS4 sold separately (i.e., don't have to buy an Eyetech board to get it).

I think that would satisfy most, considering we won't likely get anything else. At the very least, we (who run x86-64 boards) will be able to emulate (via AmigaForever) the Amiga chipset, etc., and run the OS faster than the AmigaOne boards.

Report this post  
T_Bone 
Re: AmigaOS 4 should be ported to x86-64!
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 14:51:33
#102 ]
Elite Member

@T_Power

Quote:

T_Power wrote:
@nicholas
Quote:

Because you're not a "True Amigan" (c) (r) (tm) if you don't!

Simple, if you don't even use an Amiga, what are you doing here besides spreading FUD, and annoying people who enjoy the platform.

Cheers,
Tim

The thread was started by Helgis, who, for love or money, can't get an A1 with OS4. If you can't get an A1 with OS4, for love or money, everything else is irrelevant.

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 14:52:10
#103 ]
OS4 Core Developer

I just had one look at the way this thread exploded and decided to stop reading.

The usual suspects again come out of hiding, it's so blandly predictable. We had the same discussion over and over, it's getting boring.

I wonder how long it takes this thread to be locked...

T_Bone 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 14:55:04
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
I just had one look at the way this thread exploded and decided to stop reading.

The usual suspects again come out of hiding, it's so blandly predictable. We had the same discussion over and over, it's getting boring.

Is that a request?

It's not an unreasonable question, to ask why there's no reasonably available hardware. Do you truely think this isn't a problem, and that wanting reasonable hardware is an unreasonable request?

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 14:58:49
# ]

Thread moved off front page for moderator review.

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:01:45
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

Why--because when people can't be heard, the problems don't exist? There are people who want to run Amiga OS, but not on the hardware barely being offered.

Why didn't Hyperion just write Amiga OS to run on the Timex Sinclair--I hear those are rockin'. Oh wait, those are still plentiful.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:04:08
# ]

@Orgin

Contravenes site terms and conditions - Wiffy

The thread concerns Cell. Why port to something that does not exist yet? It's not available.

Last edited by Wiffy on 27-Jun-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Report this post  
smithy 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:06:08
#108 ]

@Rogue
Quote:

The reason the same discussion has happened over and over again for the past 5 years is that the real issues get ignored when one side has been argued down and cannot justify their views in the face of the evidence presented. Once again you've backed out and blamed "the usual suspects" as if they are just trolls and Amiga hating Windows users, and so once again this same argument will re-occur in a week's time.

Valid questions have been raised by long-time Amiga fans (or the "usual suspects"). And once again, they've been patronised and ignored.

smithy 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:09:57
#109 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:

It's not an unreasonable question, to ask why there's no reasonably available hardware. Do you truely think this isn't a problem, and that wanting reasonable hardware is an unreasonable request?

@T_Bone

Hardware is not even the question here. The issue is the focus away from the desktop.

But the answer to your question is that embedded OSes don't need reasonably available hardware. And the lack of reasonably available hardware is consistent with the embedded focus.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:10:07
# ]

@EyeAm

1 day suspension for you then.

Moderation: A moderators say is final. When a moderation decision is made the moderator will document why either in private message or at the place where moderation occurred. This in most cases will be accompanied by reference to which Terms Of Service have been broken. Moderators are allowed to use their discretion in interpretation of the Terms Of Service and operate outside of the Terms Of Service where they see a need to intervene. Where you disagree, or feel unfairness is an issue, see Ajudication.

Ajudication: Whilst AmigaWorld.net moderation tries to be fair and balanced sometimes errors can occur. If you disagree with a specific instance where you have been moderated then please put your complaint to the Webmaster, an Administrator or another moderator for consideration and possible action. Arguments about specific moderation incidents are not tolerated on the public forum, use the adjudication process open to you.

Report this post  
T_Bone 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:20:01
#111 ]
Elite Member

@EyeAm

Quote:

EyeAm wrote:
@Coder

Quote:
Coder wrote:
And you and me are dating hot chicks!

I am gay, so that isn't very likely.

Well, send them oner here then, waste not...

BrianK 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:33:34
#112 ]
Elite Member

@EyeAm

Quote:

AmigaForever x86-64

A 64bit version probably won't enhance the performance any. I haven't tried AF on WinXP 64bit but it should run fine in the 32bit WoW

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:35:46
# ]

EyeAm has left the building.

As such, we will moderate harshly any comments made against him as he has decided to forfiet his right to reply.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:36:13
# ]

@All

To point out something about why i started this threat. First of all, i was frustrating because of the waiting for new MicroA1-C shipment and the thought that it would be difficult to get PPC chips from IBM, while others actually told me it will work out. The only small drawback might be Eyetech having to pay a bit higher price than they used to do in order to get them from IBM...

Then i was thinking about the future. First of all, we have to make full use of the current PPC-technology, as well as providing a safe, secure and wise move to the CELL-architecture when the time is right..

I don't understand why some of you blame me for have started this threat. That is totally irrelevant. I might repeat myself sometimes, but think again. When do i repeat most? When being happy or when being frustrated? I would say the last point here. Only when i'm frustrated, and that usually have quite good reasons, but i know we can't blame the Amiga companies for that. Perhaps big companies having a very huge success compared to the Amiga market at the moment, but that would be more or less wild speculations than the possibility to actually prove who is responsible and who is not...

I would say that CELL looks quite interesting, even in its' early stage. It has already proven that it could be a very potensial beast in the Linux market, using a PS3 to run Linux, which is quite rare but not impossible. Thinking about the fact that most of the new, ported AmigaOS 4 software and games, actually were ported from Linux. When CELL completely runs on Linux, the transition to port the support for it to AmigaOS would be much easier and much faster. We will only move to CELL when the time is right Firstly we need to make full use of the PPC of today, then we can talk about CELL

I can't think of better possibilities than that To some of you complaining about me at nick starting such threats, i would say you should watch yourself. Otherwise, whom of you doing that would be suspended a day or two by a moderator. This topic is about the CELL on Amiga, nothing else, so stay clear to the topic, please...

Thank you for the attention Have to go shopping soon. Will be back little later

Helgis

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Jun-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Report this post  
zutton 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:42:17
#115 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@EyeAm

Quote:

EyeAm wrote:
@Coder

[quote]Coder wrote:
And you and me are dating hot chicks!

I am gay, so that isn't very likely.

Well, send them oner here then, waste not... [/quote]

Has eYeAM been suspended for being gay?

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:50:14
#116 ]
Cult Member

@zutton

Quote:
Has eYeAM been suspended for being gay?

Read what Wiffy wrote again, its quite clear why he was suspended.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:50:41
# ]

@zutton

Don't be so silly.

Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:56:49
#118 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

No we haven't, my question has never been answered, and it's looking like it never will. I'll ask it again though:-

Quote:
There is just one thing thats been bugging me for ages that no one has ever answered, and this is a question for both "sides" really, and has nothing to do with the hardware either.

For what reason would a business that requires an embedded OS choose to pay licence fees for a proprietary operating system such as OS4/MorphOS, when they could use GNU/Linux or a BSD operating system for so much less TCO, or even an already established realtime proprietary OS such as VxWorks or QNX?

It doesn't make any sense to me. I need convincing of the benefits that such a company would recieve from OS4/MorphOS that they wouldn't get from another OS, which would lead them to possibly pay more money overall for a system that is unproven.

I think it's quite a valid question.

nicholas 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 15:58:29
#119 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@zutton

Don't be so silly.

I think Eye-Am might be Russell Grant off TV-AM circa 1985.

He's gay and is an astrologer!

It all seems to fit into place now.

zutton 
Posted on 27-Jun-2005 16:03:14
#120 ]

@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@zutton

Don't be so silly.

I think Eye-Am might be Russell Grant off TV-AM circa 1985.

He's gay and is an astrologer!

It all seems to fit into place now.

He can't be very good if he couldn't see he was going to be banned.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle