Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

t0lkien

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  52 mins ago
 retrofaza:  52 mins ago
 Glames:  54 mins ago
 dispiter:  59 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Whats the story on Paihia web browser?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
polka. 
Re: Whats the story on Paihia web browser?
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 9:44:34
#61 ]

@Framiga
Quote:
i have no solution at all (as you all, after all).

Basically, you don't NEED a solution because you are happy with the current situation:

Quote:
I'm happy with the current solutions and i'll support them until the new releases will come out without unuseful whinings.

Quote:
The only thing i'm calling is, RESPECT who are spending time for us. (remember that are all hobby projects)

I guess we all have a lot of respect for hobby projects. But does that also mean that we are not allowed to critizise them or point out shortcomings and serious flaws?
This doesn't mean that "we are taking a shot" at the developers. No way.

The first step to improve software is to clearly outline what the shortcomings are. If all we are allowed to do is to say how great everything is (although it's NOT), there won't be any necessity for aiming at something better- but that's what the whole Amiga-idea was about, basically.

You seem to have rather chosen to remain static. If you are happy with that, fine.

Profile     Report this post  
hotrod 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 10:29:20
#62 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

I think that statements like "IBrowse and AWeb sucks!" is a bit harsh, don't you?

They've spent so much time on these browsers so they shouldn't need to hear or read that. That isn't pointing out shortcomings.

PR 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 10:30:13
#63 ]

Oh Please continue IBrowse as I love it, my girfriend loves to use it too
and i hate using pc:s with net. It does not display 50% what is needed today
but I hope 2,4 will dig in. I have bought IB 1+2 and it doesn't matter but now we need a reward and a new version soon. I will buy IB3 too! Or is there another solution????
(AWeb is not nice to use) Keep the wheels rolling and Stefan, stop the skydiving for a while. Then when You get some $/£ from us, then go and have fun!

polka. 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 10:51:37
#64 ]

@hotrod
Quote:
I think that statements like "IBrowse and AWeb sucks!" is a bit harsh, don't you?

It is a bit harsh, but still it's an opinion. Guess what, I even share that opinion. Maybe I would have phrased it a bit differently, maybe I would also have defined what needs to be improved (but we all know, don't we?).

Quote:
They've spent so much time on these browsers so they shouldn't need to hear or read that.

There is also a lot of praise for Ibrowse and AWeb on the other hand. I think that most developers are very much aware of the fact that most of us can't use Amiga-browsers for all websites and that they are way behind the current standards. Yes, and I even think that they are able to deal with that fact.

Vader 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 11:31:26
#65 ]

@polka.

I dunno about the AWeb guys, but the IBrowe development team are of no illusion that IBrowse is the best thing in the world, quite the contrary, which is why continue to work on improving it. The problem is, as always, lack of time, developers and at times, motivation. I couldn't care less if people think or say IBrowse sucks, as a browser for the state its in, I personally think it does a pretty good job given the resources behind it, but equally I am of no illusion that it can compete with the mature browsers on other platforms, and nor have I ever said otherwise.

I've said it a billion times before, but as everyone seems to like it being repeated, here it is again: Yes we are working on IBrowse still, but things are a lot slower than we would have liked. Stefan is busy working on other things, so the last few remaining major issues are not being fixed in IB. Whilst he is working on those, Oliver is busy working away on other areas in IB which can be addressed fairly easily without fear of breaking something else which would delay 2.4 further. Meldon has since become employed fulltime and has a lot less spare time than he used to, and my spare time has pretty much gone out the window since November aswell.

I can't speak for others in the team, but for me, I work on IBrowse because I enjoy it, and I am learning how to code at the same time. The minute that element of fun goes, then so will I. Currently I am getting fed up repeating the same thing over and over, and losing interest, but thats neither my fault, nor those asking (as it obviously shows people want the software). I *do* understand the frustration, which is why Oliver and I have asked Stefan to change the release policy for IB3 and make the releases regular by means of public betas.

We don't release announcements that we are working on it still every 3 months because frankly thats an utter waste of time given I have already said we are. Believe me, if the development of IB ceases, I will let everyone know so they stop bloody asking me So unless you hear otherwise, work continues at a slower pace than everyone would like, but thats life as it currently stands.

smithy 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 11:58:24
#66 ]

Hello chaps,

All the updated website says is that the release date won't be in the spring anymore, but work is most definately continuing. Of the 6 main areas of work (XML, CSS, EcmaScript, DOM, 3rd party libraries integration, browser client) the first 3 are well advanced, the 4th started and the last 2 (most simple of all) not started. If I can knock these first 3 off by the summer then things will be looking good for a release this year.

Some interesting points raised in this thread btw...

As far as competition goes, then unless Paihia is released before the KHTML port (which is unlikely) then we know that Paihia shareware registration numbers will be very small. Dunno where the other projects are but competition is always a good thing.

The_Editor 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 13:15:29
#67 ]
Elite Member

@smithy

Thanks for yours and Vaders input. It's MUCH appreciated.

You will certainly have a definate sale with me.

End of summer sounds kewl for a special event !!

amipal 
Posted on 6-Mar-2006 18:48:51
#68 ]

@Vader

Thanks for the update! Though IBrowse's feature set may no longer be cutting edge, I find the user interface a joy to use - the tabbed browsing has to be one of the best implementations I've used.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle