Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  18 mins ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 Matt3k:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  27 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 acer:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 kinchan:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  KXLight Installation!?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
BiL0 
Re: KXLight Installation!?
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 17:23:18
#21 ]

@martinalexander
You can definitely write the guide no problem.
I was asked to work with AF to help out on the install guide but no more news since then.
anyway, if you want to mount another CD you should be able to do from a linux shell the following commands:

mount /dev/cdrom1 /whereeverYouHaveWork/NameOfFolder

cdrom1 is used when there is already another CD as cdroom)
I am having difficulties in testing this as I have guests that are using my computer room so no access to it until next Monday.
That's the delay in giving you a tested answer.

try with cdrom first and then with cdrom1 etc see which one is assigned to the drive and it shold mount.
then you should be able to access the CDROM from the folder withing Work or wherever you have mounted.

USB drive is the same thing. you just need to change the /dev/cdrom to /dev/sda1 or sda2 depending on how many partition you have on the external disk and which one you want to mount

hope this helps you

BiL0

Profile     Report this post  
tomazkid 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 17:25:11
#22 ]
Team Member

@martinalexander

Quote:
f I get permission from BiL0, I will write a guide (AND give him as much credit for it as myself)!

That would be appreciated I recon
Give me a PM somewhere if you need a place to host it on

BiL0 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 17:34:19
#23 ]

@martinalexander
trying to answer some of your questions:
1) Never used Warp 3d so I wouldn't know. If you want I can have a go and test it for you

2.1) once you have the install working you can install whatever you want (playing with the UAE config you can have several install on the same HD) I use 3.1 and 3.9 on the same disk. easy way to do this is to have the install done on a windows using winuae and then copying the all directory, then change the path in the UAE config

2.2) I don't think that you need MiamiDX as the TCP stack is actually in one file of UAE and as long as you have that it will work for internet. MagicWB works fine and so iBrowse although I can't find a copy that wont expire after 30 minutes. If you have the network card working on linux then there is nothing else that you need.
howeve haven't sai that I found that some programs works well on wiuae and not on the same install of UAE. till this day I have had no-one been able to explain it.

Let me know if you want me to send you more info

BiL0

martinalexander 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 19:02:25
#24 ]

@BiL0

But... Formatting and re-installing everything can't be that easy in KXLight! If you empty the Work & System folders, you need something to replace it with BEFORE you start AmigaOS, right!?

And if you replace the original "OS" with a "new" OS 3.1 / 3.5 / 3.9, do you have to get "special drivers" for hardware like the "uaegfx-screenmode"!?

martinalexander 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 19:10:05
#25 ]

BTW, I do not need or want to replace the OS with a "new" OS 3.5/3.9 PARTLY because it's not recommended by AF, but what I DO want is to clean the current OS up, removing EVERYTHING that is installed but does not affect hardware and such things to remove, for example NewIcons!

I want it clean to start from the beginning, but well, I'll get working and see if it works out well, if it goes right down to hell it should be easy to replace the OS again !

BiL0 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 8:30:54
#26 ]

@martinalexander

Quote:
But... Formatting and re-installing everything can't be that easy in KXLight! If you empty the Work & System folders, you need something to replace it with BEFORE you start AmigaOS, right!?

Yes that's why I suggested to make your install in winuae as you can start with the floppy and performa proper install of the OS that you want, then you can customize with what you want (MagicWB et.) and once you're happy you can move the folder to KNX.
When you have the folder on the same HD of KNX you can change the path of the disk in uaerc and next time should start with the new environment.

You could do it in KNX but it requires so many reboots and changing floppy is not easy in UAE so that is my suggestion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
If you get stuck let me know
BiL0

martinalexander 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 14:31:22
#27 ]

@BiL0

I am configuring OS 3.9 on WinUAE (mom's computer), wich I will later move over to my own!

I do have cd-rom support with my Dos 6.22 bootdisk so it should work to copy over with xcopy from dos!

But you have been a great help, and not many is as patient as you with helping someone like me !

The only thing to do next is like I've said to get a cd-rom working, and then I've got my main computer ready !

martinalexander 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 14:33:35
#28 ]

BTW... Will try to find a "theme system", but MagicWB have lots of shareware bugs, NewIcons was ugly, and I need something more "modern kinda MorphOS-looking"... Well I'll continue looking :P!

BiL0 
Posted on 9-Dec-2006 10:20:42
#29 ]

@martinalexander

Quote:
I do have cd-rom support with my Dos 6.22 bootdisk so it should work to copy over with xcopy from dos!

I wouldn't suggest xcopy from Dos as it will not work most definitely. Spaces in the folders will not work etc.
From KNX it would be better or via FTP as suggested before.
you could have your folder ZIPed up, could even transfer via FTP (either from KXN or Amiga) then unzipped into a folder (lets say Work:\NewSystem) and then from KNX move the folder to wherever you want. Change uaerc to point to that folder and there you go, you can start the new system.

I am not sure which guide I sent you in the past, however I did write something on how to go into knx without starting the Amiga system. that should give you a Linux shell and from there you can do whatever you need to move or change or customize the folders. Once done just type "init 5" and that should start the Amiga system.

Next week I should have my computer back. I'll send you a picture of the system that I am running.
If you want you can have a copy, see if you like it.
you can always trash it later :o)
BiL0

Last edited by BiL0 on 09-Dec-2006 at 10:22 AM.

BiL0 
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 11:58:03
#30 ]

@BiL0

Hello everyone.
I can see that allot of people still download my guide.
However what I would suggest is to look into the new AF as now it comes with an proper KX install
So no need anymore to play or fiddling with files etc.

Just thought you wanted to know
I may need to add this to the giude

All the best

BiL0

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 12-Sep-2008 12:46:03
#31 ]

@BiL0

---In the mean time paper wall & glue will do---

I've been looking into the KXLight files on my Amiga Forever CD.
Its seem at boot time there a few quick commands to issue to get up and running on a
hard disk.

http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/installation/
af-fbtxt 2
cd /usr/share/afinstaller
./update-installer
afinstall

And volla. But I need a spare standalone machine to test it.

REF: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation

Good news is that also a better ISO can be built and distributed with perhaps some more options to mount local existing drives, in Read / Write mode.

martinalexander 
Posted on 17-Sep-2008 22:39:42
#32 ]

Wow, I totally missed that this thread were still alive ... I have AF2K8 here besides me, and decided to try it out (again) on this machine when I read the following in the news-thread about OS 4.1 for SAM:

Quote:
For the price conscious, the best option was the Amithlon solution which you could install on cheap x86 machines. This is my main Amiga for the present, since there were no other options. Too bad, Amithlon was taken off the market. It works really nicely.

Yep, It's a shame that the r/w-settings need to be "turned on" in the config-file since it's read-only from the beginning, and that I seem to get only 1/4 of the screen for AmigaOS and the rest filled up by the "cracked dirt background", but I'm very amazed how everything on my Asus M2V with Amd X2 64 4400+ with GeForce 8600GT & sound+network onboard worked completely ootb ... It really is a wonderful product . The only thing I hope to see is a better web-browser for classic !

BTW, how "far" is the emulation possible to go when it comes to cpu, gfx-mem & fast-mem?

sibbi 
Posted on 18-Sep-2008 0:00:58
#33 ]
Team Member

@martinalexander

Well, hate to sound like an advertisement, but using my AF2008 CD I simply followed these instructions:

AF KXLight Install

And it "just worked", have it running in VMWare right now, perfect virtual amiga

Edited: I should read the whole thread before posting ;)

Last edited by sibbi on 18-Sep-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Disclaimer:
The opinions stated do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

martinalexander 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 17:53:08
#34 ]

Now I have it running (installed) on my P4 2.8ghz with 1gb ram & HIS Radeon HD3850 Turbo (pre-overclocked) 512mb gddr3 & a brand new 80gb harddrive (used like... 10 gb :p ) .

Now I wonder how it would be easiest to edit the config-file. I could use my dsl-disc, but last time I tried that (on a very old machine tho) it seemed to screw up my config file :(.

BTW, This is written on the "amiga computer". The "other" pc (running winblowz) is standing just besides me, but hey... which is more fun :D ?

martinalexander 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:30:33
#35 ]

Nope, alter config-file is a fail (shutting down computer immediatly). Here is the altered config-file:

# E-UAE configuration file

# General options
unix.rom_path=/Amiga/rom
unix.floppy_path=
use_gui=false
use_debugger=false

# Host CPU-specific options
x86.use_tsc=true

# CPU emulation options
cpu_type=68030/68881 EARLIER 68030/68881
cpu_speed=max
cpu_compatible=false
cpu_cycle_exact=false

# JIT compiler options
cachesize=16384
compfpu=true

# Chipset options
chipset=ecs_agnus
ntsc=false
immediate_blits=true
collision_level=none

# ROM options
kickstart_rom_file=$(FILE_PATH)/amiga-os-3x0.rom
kickstart_key_file=$(FILE_PATH)/rom.key
kickshifter=false

# RAM options
chipmem_size=4
bogomem_size=0
fastmem_size=32 EARLIER 0
z3mem_size=0
gfxcard_size=16 EARLIER 0 (I THINK)

# Floppy drive options
floppy0=
floppy0type=0
floppy1=
floppy1type=0
floppy2=
floppy2type=0
floppy3=
floppy3type=0
nr_floppies=4
floppy_speed=100

# Hard disk options
filesystem2=rw,DH0:System:/Amiga/dir/System,1
filesystem2=rw,DH1:Work:/Amiga/dir/Work,0

# Display options
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width_windowed=800
gfx_height_windowed=600
gfx_width_fullscreen=800
gfx_height_fullscreen=600
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=true
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_correct_aspect=false
gfx_center_horizontal=none
gfx_center_vertical=none
show_leds=false

# Sound options
sound_output=normal
sound_bits=16
sound_frequency=44100
sound_channels=stereo
sound_interpol=none

# Input device options
joyport0=mouse
joyport1=kbd1

# SCSI emulation options
scsi=true
scsi_device=/dev/cdrom

# Network emulation
bsdsocket_emu=true

# X11-specific options
x11.map_raw_keys=false
x11.low_bandwidth=false
x11.use_mitshm=true

I will try to change it back, but since this looks just like the last time It does not look good !

Last edited by martinalexander on 19-Sep-2008 at 06:31 PM.

martinalexander 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:52:13
#36 ]

Nope, gfxcard_size would not work with value 0 and only have a very low-resolution screen (not strange perhaps )... What is more strange on the other hand is that when I change it to 4, 8 or 16, it loads the "WB screen", a cli opens and some text show up really fast before it disappears, and then it just freeze... The workbench screen is loaded, but no icons, no menu's, nothing... Just like the last time I altered the config-file (on the old machine).

martinalexander 
Posted on 20-Sep-2008 10:54:31
#37 ]

Now I got it confirmed. DSL is messing up my config-file somehow, since I tried to change only fastmem_size from 8 to 16 mb (which SHOULD work) but it still leaves me with the blank wb-screen.

So... What's the easiest way to alter the config-file... It isn't possible to do it with any tool on the af2k8 cd itself?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle