Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  8 mins ago
 Matt3k:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 Karlos:  27 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 Gunnar:  36 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 eliyahu:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Updated SDL for AmigaOS 4.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zorro 
Re: Updated SDL for AmigaOS 4.0
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 14:56:53
#21 ]

@evilrich

SDL is too much valuable at this point in time of amigaos development... please don't stop upgrading it...

Your work is really appreciated.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 15:34:50
#22 ]
Elite Member

@evilrich

”libSDL” is where important I hope you do not completely stop updating it.

Personally I like to use the native API’s for graphics.

As for for E-UAE I hope for TCP/IP support and CW support soon, after locking my self out of paypal, I finally managed to unregistered my paypal account, so I can register a new one, and give you some cash for your work, when I get (rich), I hope you support other developers as well not one way street

amipal 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 15:50:03
#23 ]

@wegster

Quote:
People are terrible at 'positive feedback,'

I hear that! My job is in managerial information, and the only time I get feedback from those up the line is when there's something wrong with the report.

@evilrich
Your work is highly appreciated! I think a lot of users do take it for granted, as acefnq said.

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 16:34:19
#24 ]

@elwood

OpenGL lives happily side by side with SDL. They are not exclusive or anything.

@evilrich: about feedback..well, SDL works really well so there is no need for negative feedback at least :)

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 16:42:33
#25 ]

@OldFart

SDL stands for Simple DirectMedia Layer. It's a quite popular open source library that can handle basic input, video and audio needs of an application. Many if not most Linux games use SDL.

Personally I think it's one of the best things happened to cross-platform programming since ANSI-C.

Hans 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 16:50:45
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

Quote:

Mr_Capehill wrote:

Personally I think it's one of the best things happened to cross-platform programming since ANSI-C.

It's definitely a good system. While I don't use it myself as I'm not writing games or cross-platform stuff, it is important that we have a good implementation. Without it, most of the games on os4depot would not exist. I personally prefer using the OS's own API, but if I was writing a game then I probably would use SDL.

So evilrich, thanks for the work, and please do continue to develop SDL for the Amiga.

Hans

Varthall 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 17:03:56
#27 ]

@evilrich
Quote:

This will probably be the last update for a while. Judging from the lack of feedback I get, there appears to be little interest in SDL for AmigaOS 4.0, so there seems little point devoting much more time to this project. In any case, I'm working on integrating the changes from the upcoming SDL 1.2.10 release, which features some significant changes to the build process, and also completing the shared library implementation. It's expected that these changes will take some time to finalize.

Thanks for this update. I'm very interested in seeing future new versions of SDL, ATM I'm doing some new ports (one of them is Milkytracker). I'm especially interested in learning how to compile code using your MiniGL wrapper. I've recently compiled a game which uses SDL and OpenGL, it still has problems opening a MiniGL screen but I'm investigating on this. Also the shared library version would be very welcome, I'd recompile all my ports done so far so that they will use the external library, in order to decrease executable size. And besides, the port of the 4k demo Yellow Rose of Texas is waiting for this, since a half megabytes exe couldn't be called a 4k intro

Varthall

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:37:12
#28 ]
Cult Member

@thread

Thanks for the encouragement. It's appreciated. And - wegster, afcairns - thanks for the donations.

This isn't principally about money, although it is nice to get compensated for my time occasionally.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Amiga users are generally pretty poor at the open source process. They like getting software for free, but few ever get involved.

With a notable few exceptions (Capehill, Toaks, saimo) virtually nobody gives feedback, bug-reports, etc. on SDL. As Capehill will attest, I do put considerable effort in fixing bugs when they are reported (for example, I worked with Capehill to fix compatibility issues to ensure that OpenTT and ScummVM would work fully when he was devoping OS4 builds of those projects).

Open source development cannot take place in a vacuum. Show some love to the developers.

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:39:04
#29 ]
Cult Member

@jahc

Quote:
please continue to develop for us. its much needed. same goes for uae!

Expect a new release of E-UAE imminently.

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:41:24
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Atheist

Quote:
Were you working on SuperBase 4?

Yes. And then Mr Hardware disappeared from the Amiga scene. So that was a profitable use of my time.

Quote:
Is that gone into the mist?

Development may be starting again.

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:45:28
#31 ]
Cult Member

@elwood

Quote:
SDL or not? It's easy. What do *you* think? Is it worth the effort compared to OpenGL?

Not sure what you mean here. Since I'm not a developer of OpenGL for AmigaOS and so expend no effort on it, the question doesn't make sense.

Besides. They're not mutually exclusive - in fact, SDL puts an easy-to-use and portable wrapper around OpenGL.

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:49:50
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Only thing I dont like of SDL stuffs was that the speed on my G3@666 wasnt so nice in some cases...

Some of the SDK releases of SDL have been sub-optimal in terms of performance. That's why I always suggest using my build (or re-compiling it yourself - ask if you want help).

This is precisely what I mean about feedback. If you think something doesn't work, then ask. Don't just complain about it on some web forum and hope that somebody who can help will read it (I'm not saying you did this, I'm talking about 'you' in general).

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 20:59:39
#33 ]
Cult Member

@acefnq

Quote:
SDL has a reputation for being just that little bit sluggish, can you comment if there is any improvements on the horizon or whether the announced upgraded CPUs will assist in this regard.

As I said above, there were some sub-optimal builds shipped with a couple of the recent AmigaOS SDK releases. I know of no performance issues with the current version.

A faster CPU will obviously help, but, in SDL's case, however, the main factor is how you (the developer) use it. Inappropriate use of HW surfaces in SDL, for example, will hurt performance no matter what CPU you have.

Tell me if you think it's sluggish when you see the next release of E-UAE.

Cheers,
Rich

Hans 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 21:18:43
#34 ]
Elite Member

@evilrich

Out of interest. Is there any SDL functionality that we're still missing? Or is all work form now on buxfixes/optimisations?

Also, someone mentioned the shared library version. Does this exist yet?

Hans

evilrich 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 21:26:03
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

Quote:
Out of interest. Is there any SDL functionality that we're still missing?

The only think that's missing really at the moment is CD-ROM support. See
http://rcdrummond.net/sdl/README.AmigaOS4

Overlays cannot be supported yet because the P96 PiP API sucks, and there is no Gamma API in P96.

Quote:
Also, someone mentioned the shared library version. Does this exist yet?

Almost. In fact it probably would be done by now, but I had some hardware failures recently that set me back.

Cheers,
Rich

corto 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 21:39:14
#36 ]

@evilrich

SDL is really important for us. It allows to port games and other. My PointRider use SDL and wouldn't be released now without a good and complete support of SDL (with image and TTF management).

I have to say before today I was using SDL because it is included in the SDK but I didn't know you were the maintainer of it. Now I know who I have to congratulate

Maybe I will have comments in a near future. I'm going to install the SDK udpate and SDL from your website.

Thanks again !

ssolie 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 22:08:23
#37 ]
Elite Member

@corto
Quote:
I have to say before today I was using SDL because it is included in the SDK but I didn't know you were the maintainer of it. Now I know who I have to congratulate...

Perhaps this is most of the problem for evilrich, myself and others. It is all one big SDK package and the only way you know who contributed what is if you actually read the docs (shocking ) or somebody mentions it.

@all
At least I hope that is most of the problem else evilrich is right and Amiga users haven't a clue how to make open source work. Hint: *Direct Feedback* and not some obscure web forum or mailing list posting. Email. Heard of it? Even a PM at AW.net is at least something more direct.

Given all the changes I've made to GNU make et al I received count them two (2) responses from users to date with bug reports in two years. The only time I seem to hear about problems is third or forth hand from some rumour that something doesn't work. Sigh.

spotUP 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 22:42:00
#38 ]
Elite Member

@evilrich

sorry man, but how on earth can you say there seem to be little interest in SDL for AOS4? os4depot is bursting with SDL ports, and new ports are constantly compiled, latest SDL upload to the depot was today.
I am fiddling with SDL stuff a lot, every week. I am not that skilled yet though. maybe your port is kinda problem free? if things just works, then most people see no reason to bug the author. your work is very much appreciated, it's about time you realize that. i've heard you saying this about every aos4 project you've worked on. realize!..

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

afxgroup 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 23:18:37
#39 ]

@evilrich

With a notable few exceptions (Capehill, Toaks, saimo)

CodeSmith 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 23:52:58
#40 ]
Elite Member

@afxgroup

There, there. I really like that thingy... program... you wrote (it was you, right?)

[still waiting for overlay support in P96 so I can watch DVDs without frameskip, that's just about the only thing missing IMHO - good work!]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle