Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  7 mins ago
 OneOfNine:  9 mins ago
 clint:  13 mins ago
 kriz:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 danwood:  21 mins ago
 retrofaza:  23 mins ago
 Karlos:  27 mins ago
 agami:  47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Troika "high-end" motherboard revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Troika "high-end" motherboard revealed
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:20:30
# ]

@LordSteven

That what i actualy thought and that's the answers i expected Thank you,
i do not doubt a second about your statement here

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:24:56
# ]

@polka.

It remains to be seen how all this turns out in the end...

Report this post  
dietmar 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:29:28
#83 ]
Cult Member

@salass00
Quote:
I'd rather they removed the integrated 68k emu entirely rather than adding a compatibility cludge

Why that? Emulation is the future. I'd prefer some kind of virtual machine/CPU. That could even be the 68k command set. I've had enough of CPU switches and the "native software" mania. AmigaDE was the correct idea in the wrong hands.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:32:59
# ]

@polka.

Hold on a second. If you read that Rogue link again, he also states that Amiga desktop won't die because they don't only develop things for Amiga for money, but mostly because they love it. They are Amiga fans like us (Hyperion, i meant) and that is why Amiga desktop never will die, even how much into the embeddet market we go into...

And it's true that x86 OS-projects like Zeta, BeOS, x86 Linux and OS/2 all failed. Rogue has explained this very clearly in that link. It's funny that you tried to explain me something with that link. That it should turn out to look like i was wrong when you are the one that is actually wrong Nice try, but no...

Perhaps you are the one that should read that link again? Read it well before saying anything, and you should really know what you're talking about, just like Rogue said, and i have to agree with him...The link itself proves that very well..

WHO is foolish now?

Last edited by Helgis on 06-Jun-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Report this post  
ikir 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:33:55
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea & Kronos

Quote:
The OSW will cost 1600 US$ for the entire system. Quite competetive price I'd say.

Yes i agree. Anyway as far i know OS4 doens't support multicore or 64bit cpu, so probably a 1,7Ghz G4 with 2mb cache on a mb with ddr and faster bus should be enough for my OS4 machine for a while

Last edited by ikir on 06-Jun-2006 at 05:34 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:34:09
#86 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
It remains to be seen how all this turns out in the end...

It remains to be seen if a company can exist only from charity and the "love" for Amiga, although the desktop market they are targeting does not "yield enough turnover to be feasible".

polka. 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:36:34
#87 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
And it's true that x86 OS-projects like Zeta, BeOS, x86 Linux and OS/2 all failed.

Zeta and x86 Linux failed?

What would you call OS4 on PPC then - a great success?

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:40:09
# ]

@polka.

Yet again, you should really know what this means instead of taking some interesting sentes out from the air that has already been said. Rogue is the man who really knows what he's talking about when it comes to Amiga...

And Hyperion has been with us for many, many years. They are very dedicated to what they do for the Amiga, but they do not only do Amiga-projects. They have also provided 3D-technology to a millitary organization called Smith Areoplane, among other things, and they have provided something to NASA, too...

So you see, they are able to stay very much alive because they do not only support Amiga, they also develop stuffs for Linux and provide their expertise to other companies. Hyperion knows perfectly well that supporting Amiga alone won't give them the money they need to stay, but having a larger perspective on things in the entire computer industry. Did you think Hyperion was a bunch of fools working there? No, i don't really think so....

Try to think again. You have failed me yet again...

Report this post  
jorkany 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:40:37
#89 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis
Quote:
I don't see your point stating of a not viable desktop market supposed to fade away. Hyperion never said anything about abanding the desktop. There would most likely be smarter solutions to the desktop market. I don't see the point why desktop should die...It sounds more like your own opinion and statement, and not facts that you really can prove to all of us....
Of course the desktop is where we'd like to see AmigaOS. An OS isn't much fun if it's locked up inside a DVD player, etc. But people at Hyperion have been very negative about the desktop for a long time now. Take this thread for example:

Quote:

Quote:
@Hyperionmp
You're completely missing the point, thinking in terms of desktop, an increasingly irrelevant and artificial concept.

@Jorkany
Not to someone who wants a desktop, it isn't.

Quote:
@Hyperionmp
If you believe we intend to produce something like Windows XP or indeed LongHorn, wake up and smell the coffee. We don't have the money nor the intention to do so.

@Jorkany
I understand that, hence my concern as to what happens to OS4 desktop when Hyperion moves on to concentrate on it's embedded systems software.

If Hyperion succeeds in the embedded systems market then that is great for Hyperion, but where does that leave the OS4 desktop user? I think most people who want OS4 want an Amiga computer - not Windows, and not an Internet-enabled multimediacentric refrigerator that just happens to have OS4 embedded in it. It sounds as if OS4 desktop was just a stepping stone to get Hyperion into the embedded systems market. Does Hyperion plan to support OS4 desktop in the future if/when embedded systems takes off for them? Even if that support is not seen as profitable?

Quote:
@Hyperionmp
(no response)

polka. 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:40:48
#90 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
It's funny that you tried to explain me something with that link. That it should turn out to look like i was wrong when you are the one that is actually wrong Nice try, but no...

Arrrghhh.

Just a quick reminder, THIS was your statement:
"I don't see your point stating of a not viable desktop market supposed to fade away."

Please, tell me where the hell Rogue said that the desktop market is viable.

Maybe when he said that "desktop market does not yield enough turnover to be feasible."?

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:41:49
# ]

@polka.

Read again what Rogue said on this. You were the one that provide the link. Then i don't see your problem in trying to figure out what i meant by that. Read again...

Report this post  
jorkany 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:45:20
#92 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis
Quote:
And it's true that x86 OS-projects like Zeta, BeOS, x86 Linux and OS/2 all failed.

Umm, Helgis...x86 Linux is one of the most thriving platforms in existence today - what do you think most webservers run on? Zeta is still going, it generated enough interest that another investor picked it up. OS/2 is no longer around, but it can hardly be considered a failure.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:48:55
# ]

@jorkany

Rogue mentioned something about failed attempts on x86 with these projects. Okay, x86 Linux is still around, but not widely used as PPC Linux. I wonder why is that..Perhaps because the x86 architecture is not as great as we want to believe?

Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:50:26
#94 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
Okay, x86 Linux is still around, but not widely used as PPC Linux.

Go on, go on!

wegster 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:50:53
#95 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis
1. Stop spamming the thread. If you respond to something in content already, stop responding to the next person saying the same thing.

2. This is NOT yet another x86 thread. Discuss the motherboard, or start another thread, or better yet, revive one of the many already extsting x86 threads.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:52:25
# ]

@polka.

Yes, Hyperion will drive AmigaOS4 into the embeddet market, but that doesn't mean they are going to aband the desktop market. It simply will mean that AmigaOS4 becomes a hybrid-OS for both the desktop and the embeddet market. Something they call home-server/embeddet-OS. Because of the small nature of AmigaOS4 being excellent that way, makes it ideal for other markets than just the desktop. As you might understand, desktop is not the only direction AmigaOS4 is to be. That's why the Embeddet market is mention much as well, too...

That is the real fact that Hyperion has tried to explain....

Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:53:57
#97 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Further to that OS2 would have been more successful had MicroSoft not strangled it to death.

wegster 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:55:14
#98 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@Wizzard_o
Quote:
Intresting PCB, but i prefer results..

Err, "Interesting", I'd rather settle for "weird":

- 2 Mini-PCI slots, but only a single RAM slot
- weird placement of 2 PCI slots
- strange form factor

...but on the strength of past experience (buggy Teron), I fully understand the decision for a 3rd party evaluation board from China.

Yep. The board as it is is looking less interesting that I expected. Now if Adam were to produce something. and stop the insanity of no onboard SATA or PATA, the ACK proposed board with hmm:
1. standard form factor
2. More than a single RAM socket
3. PCI-Express, even if still PCI-X bandwidth.

is looking more appealing.

But, we'll see. In the event they manage to find a custom case, and the board is shown to be without serious issues, and someone from Hyperion can confirm at some point they actually HAVE one and are porting OS4 to it, and the price is reasonable...heh, lot's of ands, but we'll see.

The mini-PCI might not be so bad for wireless, but the second one has basically no use, unless this too, somehow will use mini-PCI GFX, which are nearly impossible to buy.

Now it _really_ looks like a network board though.

jorkany 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:55:16
#99 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis
Quote:
Okay, x86 Linux is still around, but not widely used as PPC Linux.
I really wonder where you get your "facts". PPC Linux is hardly a blip on the radar compared to x86 Linux. Go look at what hardware the major Linux distros support. Take a look at the applications available for Linux which are distributed as binaries and you'll find that support for x86 comes first.

Exactly what PPC hardware is it you think all these people are running PPC Linux on?

Seriously, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but your perception of the state of computing seems to be badly distorted.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Jun-2006 17:57:33
# ]

@wegster

I agree with you. Will keep that in mind, and yes..this is the very member i mentioned to you about...Quite embarrashing, isn't it?

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle