Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  1 min ago
 fatbob_gb:  16 mins ago
 bhabbott:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Macs growth spurt outpaces rest of market - Some food for thought
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: OS4 on x86 (Was: Macs growth spurt outpaces rest of market - Some food for thought)
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 9:40:39
#81 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@Bobsonsirjonny

How does old debt get cancelled without a bankruptcy judge declaring the debt cancelled?

(allegedly )

Oh thats easy, just make sure that the costs of cashing in that debt are atleast twice as high as what creditors might actually get out of it (the worth of the company).

Profile     Report this post  
Georg 
Re: OS4 on x86 (Was: Macs growth spurt outpaces rest of market - Some food for thought)
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 9:43:41
#82 ]

@Frags

Quote:
He means that they can`t grant a license for it because it doesn`t exist.

I think that he means that AInc can't grant a license because current AmigaOS == AmigaOS4 which partly "belongs" (rights) to Hyperion, 3rd party coders, etc.

Turrican 
Re: Macs growth spurt outpaces rest of market - Some food for thought
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 12:01:28
#83 ]

Quote:
What else? AmigaOS 3.x is old, 4.0 is current. AROS? It's already there on x86, for quite a long time (yeah, irony again). MorphOS then?

I'm sorry, if you are talking AmigaOS, there is no way around Hyperion or OS 4. Unless you want to start at 3.1 again and go the long way again, but I assure you that this is not going to work.

Ok just had this crazy idea. How much does a licence from Amiga Inc. cost? Let's make a bounty and get an exclusive AmigaOS 5 licence for AROS!

cHaOs667 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 12:17:34
#84 ]
Cult Member

@Turrican

AFAIK you can get a licence only for a Hardware Plattform, not for a Software Plattform

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

Hans 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 14:19:55
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Legion

Quote:

Legion wrote:
< tinfoil hat>

Mate, you look really stupid wearing that tin-foil hat. Especially while you're beating that dead horse.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 22-Jul-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 14:22:58
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Georg

Quote:

Georg wrote:
@Frags

Quote:

I think that he means that AInc can't grant a license because current AmigaOS == AmigaOS4 which partly "belongs" (rights) to Hyperion, 3rd party coders, etc.

That's what I thought he might mean. I remember that certain parts of OS3.5/OS3.9 could not be included with OS4 because their respective authors did not give permission (e.g. that fancy skinned CD player). If this were true then AInc could give someone a license for x86 without consulting with OS4 code owners, but then have to start from scratch with the OS3.x sources. No thanks.

Hans

jorkany 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 14:48:00
#87 ]
Cult Member

@Hans
Quote:
@Frags
Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought he might mean.

Too bad Rogue seems unable to clearly articulate what he means, that would probably put a stop to a lot of these hijaaked "speculation threads".

Last edited by jorkany on 22-Jul-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 14:56:36
#88 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:

jorkany wrote:
@Hans
Too bad Rogue seems unable to clearly articulate what he means, that would probably put a stop to a lot of these hijaaked "speculation threads".

Very true. Although it's possible that he's being unclear because he's not actually allowed to tell us exactly what's going on. You know, this whole NDA, don't discuss business matters in public thing.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 22-Jul-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Jorge 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 19:37:59
#89 ]
Cult Member

@Legion

Gateway tried to get into other markets several times. One was the Amiga adventure, anotherone was a MIPS based set top box (AFAIR) and they also tried to offer their PCs with non-windows pre-installed (I think it was BeOS or so). These attempts all failed, and now they are back what they do best - selling PC clones.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Rogue 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 22:54:56
#90 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@jorkany

Quote:

Or the other way around - people do not understand what I am trying to say.

Please don't speculate, people.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:06:38
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:
for pixel shaders you use a graphic card, not the cpu.

Atm GpGPU’s SIMD/MIMD FP units are being treated as external FP array co-processor (for fragment programs). Refer to the reasons why there are talks between AMD and ATI.

Quote:
Cell isn't finished yet.

Supply issues is one the reasons for Apple’s move to Intel. At least Apple can sell dual core laptop OOOE CPUs in H2 2006, unlike MIA Cell.

Hans 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:25:17
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Crumb

Quote:
for pixel shaders you use a graphic card, not the cpu.

Atm GpGPU’s SIMD/MIMD FP units are being treated as external FP array co-processor (for fragment programs). Refer to the reasons why there are talks between AMD and ATI.

Yes but you're still restricted with the operations you can perform. The GpGPU effort attempts to use GPUs for general purpose (i.e., non-graphics) computations. However, the only thing really applicable so far is first and second-order finite-element simulations. See my last post about this as to why. You use fragment shaders as a coprocessor array via OpenGL, pretending that you're performing graphics operations when you're not. For some types of problems this helps, for many others you're better of using Altivec/SSE on the main CPU.

Rogue has said that the Mesa port will include support for fragment/vertex shaders. This is great as this means that we'll be able to make use of GPUs. The more powerful the graphics-cards supported the better.

Hans

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:27:41
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
The difference is that these vector units are locked into a graphics pipeline. I have written GLSL pixel shaders and I can tell you that you can't use them efficiently for general-purpose vector computation

Depends on "general purpose" usage and target market. Applications like 3D Edit Gold v3's (non-linear video editing tool) transition/effects is accelerated by GpGPU resource. ATI to employ PS3.0 shaders for video acceleration which reduces the load from the CPU.

Hans 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:33:39
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
The difference is that these vector units are locked into a graphics pipeline. I have written GLSL pixel shaders and I can tell you that you can't use them efficiently for general-purpose vector computation

Depends on "general purpose" usage and target market. Applications like 3D Edit Gold v3's (non-linear video editing tool) transition/effects is accelerated by GpGPU resource. ATI to employ PS3.0 shaders for video acceleration which reduces the load from the CPU.

Because video-editing is a graphics operation and fits well into the graphics-card's processing pipeline. I have personally written image-processing shaders and I can confirm that, for these operations, a decent graphics-card such as a Radeon X700 or higher, will leave the CPU in the dust. You can perform blurring, sharpening, etc. in real-time on TV-resolution video. Sadly video compression is not an operation that can be performed efficiently using shaders. Therefore compression has to be performed on the CPU.

Hans

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:43:59
#95 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:
I guess that for low cost macs it's a good idea (but the point is that prices haven't come down) because x86 gives the best price/performance ratio, but for high-end machines running vector code it's obvious that PPC is still better (this may change in the future if intel improved their currently crappy vector units)

Altivec's superiority over SSE is dependant on
1. implementation of Altivec hardware,
2. implementation of SSEx hardware,
3. applications being run,
4. complier’s quality,
5. system platform quality i.e. core logic performance and availability.
6. Vector instruction availability e.g.
_a. Altivec is only works in SIMD 32bit FP while SSE2 works in SIMD 64bit FP. A problem for Freescale’s G4 but not with G5’s dual 64bit FPU.
_b. RC5's style instruction usage and gain doesn't reflect real world desktop applications. Should one rehash yet another barefeats benchmark posting?
_c. Not everything can be vectorise. i.e. general ALU performance is important.

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jul-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jul-2006 23:58:15
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Because video-editing is a graphics operation and fits well into the graphics-card's processing pipeline. I have personally written image-processing shaders and I can confirm that, for these operations, a decent graphics-card such as a Radeon X700 or higher,

NLE '3D Edit' Gold works fine on ATI Radeon 9600 Mobile (M10P) in DVD resolution. Note that '3D Edit''s user interface also uses 3D surfaces.

Quote:

will leave the CPU in the dust. You can perform blurring, sharpening, etc. in real-time on TV-resolution video. Sadly video compression is not an operation that can be performed efficiently using shaders

In relation to video encoding, this is dependent on middleware/driver and support from GpGPU manufacture (e.g. PS3.0 from ATI R5xx GpGPU).

Last edited by Hammer on 23-Jul-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 23-Jul-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 23-Jul-2006 0:18:37
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
Yes but you're still restricted with the operations you can perform. The GpGPU effort attempts to use GPUs for general purpose (i.e., non-graphics) computations. However, the only thing really applicable so far is first and second-order finite-element simulations. See my last post about this as to why. You use fragment shaders as a coprocessor array via OpenGL, pretending that you're performing graphics operations when you're not. For some types of problems this helps, for many others you're better of using Altivec/SSE on the main CPU.

Rogue has said that the Mesa port will include support for fragment/vertex shaders. This is great as this means that we'll be able to make use of GPUs. The more powerful the graphics-cards supported the better.

ATI plans to replace OpenGL with "Data Parallel Processing Architecture Abstraction" layer (DPPAA) for data parallel processing without going through DX or OpenGL.

Hans 
Posted on 23-Jul-2006 2:33:16
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
ATI plans to replace OpenGL with "Data Parallel Processing Architecture Abstraction" layer (DPPAA) for data parallel processing without going through DX or OpenGL.

That's an interesting idea. However, you're still stuck with the fragment shaders being part of a graphics pipeline. If they change this so that the processing units are fully general purpose then the performance will go down. There's a reason why general purpose CPUs don't have the same processing power (in terms of vector operations/s) as GPUs. It's flexibility.

Hans

elatour 
Posted on 23-Jul-2006 2:46:09
#99 ]
Cult Member

@Georg

Quote:

I supose that unless Amiga Inc. buys back OS4 from Hyperion, then it doesn't have access to any of the work done on OS4 to it or anyone else wishing to license it for a port to another platform, but that still should leave possibilities for licensing other ports to other platforms, using AOS3.x for 68K as a base like Hyperion did with AOS4. However, that is assuming that there isn't something going on with Gataway that we don't know about as speculated in other messages in this thread. Hyperion aluded to the fact that this is what anyone wishing to port AOS to anotrher hardware platform would need to do, but an OS4-based port to another platform might be possible if and only if Amiga Inc. buys OS4 back from Hyperion, which it can according to the various leaked Amiga Inc., Hyperion and EyeTech AmigaOne/AOS4 license contracts circulated around the Internet in the last few months, which Rogue says was a draft, not the final version of the actual signed contract.

elatour 
Posted on 23-Jul-2006 2:50:05
#100 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Please don't speculate, people.

It's all we have to go on at the moment so that's what's left for us to do. Besides, it's just too much darned fun!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle