Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
4 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  36 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Templario:  3 hrs ago
 Shadowrider:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 clint:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 2-Sep-2006 16:42:12
# ]

@tomazkid

Mupper is the §hit:)

Last edited by lisardman on 02-Sep-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Report this post  
Darth_X 
Posted on 3-Sep-2006 0:34:45
#182 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Samwel wrote:

Just as funny as when you read all the #### that's said by certain users on other forums
about this site and some of its members and still seeing them come back here and post
more.. sigh
Those people talk about fanboy attitude, stupid threads and such.. Why can't some people
just accept that NOT EVERYONE wants AROS, MOS or whatever?
You are a sad bunch of people. You know who you are.

(not directed at you personally tmhg)

There are some people here, particularly a number of OS4 developers/beta-tester/users who feel that there should be a clean break between OS4 as the "true path to amiga" versus the other paths "AROS", "MorphOS", "UAE/Forever" and last but not least..."AmigaAnywhere/DE".

Personally, I feel that this amiga community should be the "sum of its parts", that everyone and their platform can contribute to the community as a whole. Even the trolls!

But I don't see this happening as long as there continues to be a complete lack of leadership from the people at the top.

Profile     Report this post  
CodeSmith 
Posted on 3-Sep-2006 4:34:06
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:
There are some people here, particularly a number of OS4 developers/beta-tester/users who feel that there should be a clean break between OS4 as the "true path to amiga" versus the other paths "AROS", "MorphOS", "UAE/Forever" and last but not least..."AmigaAnywhere/DE".

That might have been the case a couple of years ago when the "wars" were still on, but (aside from the odd troll, ie a tiny minority) I don't think anyone truly believes that any more.

That said, I do believe that there is a need to keep some focused web portals. I don't see people at MorphZone complaining about the lack of OS4 material there, so why should AmigaWorld.net be homogenous? we already have a few pretty good homogenous sites (amiga.org, ann.lu), however this seems to be the only OS4-centric site.

Last edited by CodeSmith on 03-Sep-2006 at 04:38 AM.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 8:13:08
#184 ]

[edited: Personal attacks on various members]

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Last edited by _Steve_ on 04-Sep-2006 at 02:22 PM.

gary_c 
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 8:58:11
#185 ]
Cult Member

@Hannibal_Smith

And I thought the moobunny honeypot had grabbed all the negative anonymous lamers. Guess this one slipped through.

-- gary_c

adiaux 
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 10:44:52
#186 ]

@gary_c

Indeed.

acefnq 
EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 11:18:12
#187 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv
Your points are interesting, you indeed look at market trends and understand the "total" Amiga market is indeed very small.

I have an A1 XE and enjoy it, I enjoy the development which continues. I also hate the crap between the red and the blue communities and wished somewhere the parties could come together but that looks unlikely. Having said this, IF several(even some or one) new motherboards or "add on boards" capable of and licensed to run AOS4 do in fact materialise what will your intentions for the "Amiga" market be?

Will you continue to chase or hope for an AOS4 solution or ability to run on Genesi products or will you give up trying.

Would you try and assist MOS adapt to current (and new) AOS4 capable HW or will the MOS team have to compete with other open source OS' you wish to run on your HW. I guess what I am asking is what is Genesi's long term commitment to MOS if you are actively trying to promote AOS4 on Genesi products? Or have I got this all wrong and you just want the AOS4 community to move to MOS. I have absolutely nothing against MOS, it just seems normal MOS users seem to get lost in all this arguing.

ace

tomazkid 
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 14:32:26
#188 ]
Team Member

@gary_c

Quote:

@Hannibal_Smith
And I thought the moobunny honeypot had grabbed all the negative anonymous lamers. Guess this one slipped through.

Please make use of the AR button, makes it a lot easier to detect this kind of posts.

Last edited by tomazkid on 04-Sep-2006 at 02:32 PM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Sep-2006 21:50:44
#189 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

I agree, it's a bit hard to work out genesi's message. There will often be messages on this board with news of their hardware (or progress on their lawsuit), which sound like attempts to get OS4 fans to buy genesi hardware. That makes perfect sense, they want to sell the stuff they make. But then you will go to other sites and you will see genesi employees putting down OS4 and the people behind it. That sort of marketing is normally used when you want people to use your equivalent product (in this case, MOS). Bbrv seems to be fairly competent at marketing, so what exactly is going on with these mixed messages? My current tin foil hat theory is that he's got an embrace-extend-extinguish thing going on (get OS4 working on his hardware to move people over to it, then don't renew the license so that everyone's forced to move to MOS: genesi becomes the only game in town for amiga systems, just like Apple is for the mac ecosystem), but his troops can't keep their big mouths shut. With the current astounding level of competence shown by groups working on OS4 capable hardware, he might just get his wish...

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 1:13:25
#190 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@Darth_X

Quote:

That might have been the case a couple of years ago when the "wars" were still on, but (aside from the odd troll, ie a tiny minority) I don't think anyone truly believes that any more.

That said, I do believe that there is a need to keep some focused web portals. I don't see people at MorphZone complaining about the lack of OS4 material there, so why should AmigaWorld.net be homogenous? we already have a few pretty good homogenous sites (amiga.org, ann.lu), however this seems to be the only OS4-centric site.

The difference between MorphZone and Amigaworld is that if someone were to make a post mentioning OS4 in the subject line at MorphZone, that post wouldn't be censored and would rarely get trolled. Could you say the same for a post here at amigaworld?

Either this is amigaworld or just plain OS4world.

Amigaworld is probably the best amiga community site in the world, don't ruin it by pushing for censorship of the other parts of the community.

Thank you and everyone have a great labour day, er week!

Zylesea 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 1:43:31
#191 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@acefnq

[...] My current tin foil hat theory is that he's got an embrace-extend-extinguish thing going on (get OS4 working on his hardware to move people over to it, then don't renew the license so that everyone's forced to move to MOS: genesi becomes the only game in town for amiga systems, just like Apple is for the mac ecosystem),[...]

I love conspiracy theories! Well, I (claim to) live in Bielefeld, no wonder I somehow love conspiracy...

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 1:50:03
#192 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@acefnq

I agree, it's a bit hard to work out genesi's message. There will often be messages on this board with news of their hardware (or progress on their lawsuit), which sound like attempts to get OS4 fans to buy genesi hardware. That makes perfect sense, they want to sell the stuff they make. But then you will go to other sites and you will see genesi employees putting down OS4 and the people behind it. That sort of marketing is normally used when you want people to use your equivalent product (in this case, MOS). Bbrv seems to be fairly competent at marketing, so what exactly is going on with these mixed messages? My current tin foil hat theory is that he's got an embrace-extend-extinguish thing going on (get OS4 working on his hardware to move people over to it, then don't renew the license so that everyone's forced to move to MOS: genesi becomes the only game in town for amiga systems, just like Apple is for the mac ecosystem), but his troops can't keep their big mouths shut. With the current astounding level of competence shown by groups working on OS4 capable hardware, he might just get his wish...

Mr Conspiracy

By the way, this isn't you, right?

Last edited by Darth_X on 05-Sep-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Samwel 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 3:58:13
#193 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

AmigaWorld means just what it reads. That's support for AmigaOS in all its versions.
Not just OS4!
MorphOS is like a close relative. You invite them to everything and speak to them
now and then.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 4:07:13
#194 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Btw the reason there's trolling going on is because AW is so much bigger (more
users) and these users have very different interests (using many different platforms).
This is of course no excuse for trolling but it's a reason compared to MZ where
only (mostly anyway) people of likeminded interest post.

gary_c 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 4:28:27
#195 ]
Cult Member

@CodeSmith

One problem with your theory is that -- apart from Ralph Schmidt being involved with both -- Genesi doesn't have any stake any more in MorphOS, though bbrv say they still want it to find a niche. MorphOS has been separate from Genesi for quite a while now, and I'm sure there's no reason why bbrv would go out of their way to try to win AOS4 users over to it. Was it in this thread that people were reminded again not to equate bbrv with MorphOS?

What I was told before, about the reasons bbrv post at Amigaworld.net, is that they want to build momentum at power.org. This makes sense since AOS4 is a PPC OS. The benefit for Genesi would only be indirect, as far as I can tell, but might help in the long run (or might help get to the long run at least). Actual sales to this market by Genesi aren't a factor, according to what they told me.

On the other hand, I don't know who you mean by "genesi employees" or "his troops" but every individual has his own ideas and preferences and is free to speak them. There isn't any Big Plan regarding AmigaOS, so nothing is upset if they do.

-- gary_c

Samwel 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 4:59:54
#196 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

I wouldn't worry about BBRV really. Why would he want to make a loss buying any
rights for AmigaOS? Just for fun? Wouldn't think so. That would be stupid.
One thing we shouldn't call them is stupid IMO.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 5:31:39
#197 ]
Elite Member

Wow, so many replies... didn't you guys see the "tinfoil hat" part? it wasn't supposed to be serious!

CodeSmith 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 5:35:51
#198 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:
The difference between MorphZone and Amigaworld is that if someone were to make a post mentioning OS4 in the subject line at MorphZone, that post wouldn't be censored and would rarely get trolled. Could you say the same for a post here at amigaworld?

Stuff here normally only gets "censored" when the trolls show up.

You mention that MorphZone rarely gets trolled, while implying that trolling does go on here at AW.net. Red trolls would not show up here to stir up trouble, because it's a pro-red site. Are you implying that most trolls are blue?

Oh, and I'm not that Fabian Nunez. I prefer petty website politics to the real thing

Last edited by CodeSmith on 05-Sep-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 6:19:40
#199 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@Darth_X

Quote:

Stuff here normally only gets "censored" when the trolls show up.

You mention that MorphZone rarely gets trolled, while implying that trolling does go on here at AW.net. Red trolls would not show up here to stir up trouble, because it's a pro-red site. Are you implying that most trolls are blue?

Oh, and I'm not that Fabian Nunez. I prefer petty website politics to the real thing

I'm against separating people into red and blue factions.

Simply put:
Amiga Community = Yes!
red vs blue factions = No!

Isn't calling oneself 'pro-red' like admitting to being a troll?

And its a shame that's not you, you can't get me Arnold's autograph!

Samwel 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 6:54:09
#200 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Aren't all "pro-red" trolling fanboys? We're all stupid people who got sucked by Amiga Inc
and Hyperion.. That's the idea I got from surfing other "Amiga" sites.
The thing is that OS4 users never say that about MorphOS users. It's simply their choice.

Everything got better after OS4 prerelease got out but has gone bad again when no
hardware has been available for a while.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle