Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  54 secs ago
 t0lkien:  36 mins ago
 Templario:  46 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  54 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 roar:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 22:36:47
#521 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I can understand it made you laugh. However, it was not my intention to write anything comical... it just felt so hopeless, so bad, so sad

saimo

Profile     Report this post  
Seer 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 22:51:34
#522 ]
Team Member

@bbrv

You do realize that you just gave (a) certain member(s) a heart attack, not to mention loss of sleep for months to come ?

(Wonder if anybody knows who I'm refering to )

quenthal 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 22:56:05
#523 ]

@saimo

Ok, fair enough - I understand that hope, trust etc. cannot be based on a lie or joke. However, I don't think that it needs to be based on "dead serious" dialog, which I felt you were with your post.

saimo 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 23:04:01
#524 ]
Elite Member

@quenthal

Quote:
However, I don't think that it needs to be based on "dead serious" dialog, which I felt you were with your post.

Sorry, I don't quite get you. Can you explain with a different wording, please?

saimo

quenthal 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 23:31:26
#525 ]

@saimo

Well, now after I read my own post I can understand that - it really turned out nonsense. Sometimes when I write my messages quickly they turn out like that. Hope this message turns out more sensible - english isn't (obviously) my native language

What I tried to write and what I meant was that we do not need to take these issues too seriously. When discussing possible products for Amiga users it is ofcourse good if the product/producer itself can be taken seriously, ie. it is real. But the discussion about it doesn't need to be.

When I first commented your post about gaining trust back step by step etc. with BB and all that - I felt you were taking this too serious and were concentrating on smaller issues. But at the same time your posts make this thread much more intresting to read since they are not without arguments.

EDIT: replaced massage with message

EDIT2: seems that there is quite a lot of drama (as MagicM put it) going elsewhere too... Not quite sure what to think about all this.

Last edited by quenthal on 18-Sep-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Last edited by quenthal on 18-Sep-2006 at 11:32 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 0:07:24
#526 ]
Elite Member

@quenthal

Quote:

Well, now after I read my own post I can understand that - it really turned out nonsense. Sometimes when I write my messages quickly they turn out like that. Hope this message turns out more sensible - english isn't (obviously) my native language

That's OK. I contribute my share of horrors as well

Quote:
What I tried to write and what I meant was that we do not need to take these issues too seriously. When discussing possible products for Amiga users it is ofcourse good if the product/producer itself can be taken seriously, ie. it is real. But the discussion about it doesn't need to be.

Well, I don't agree. First of all, the fact that a forum certainly is a friendly and informal place does not justify cheap shots and offences by anybody. Moreover, BBRV in the Amiga community has a much more relevant role than 99.9% of the people posting here and given what he aims to, his words have a certain weight. He should be very careful about what he writes. A friendly relationship is most welcome, an arrogant, insulting and sly one is not, under any shape or form, especially from somebody as important as he is. Moreover, the first to be damaged by a bad behaviour is... himself and the community he has built!
(I have already covered this issue in a few earlier posts in this thread, so forgive me if I won't go deeper than this.)

Quote:
When I first commented your post about gaining trust back step by step etc. with BB and all that - I felt you were taking this too serious and were concentrating on smaller issues.

See, the childish joke on me is definitely a minor issue - I did not even get offended by it -, but in the whole context it gets a certain relevance. Not because my person is involved, but because *his* person is involved!

Quote:
But at the same time your posts make this thread much more intresting to read since they are not without arguments.

saimo

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 2:53:41
# ]

Quote:
Kronos wrote:

@Atheist

OEM-deals are allmost allways done at a price-level way lower than retail, and $4.50 for a product that will probraly sell in the 10th of million over the next years (either that or it flops in a dramatic way) doesn't sound so bad. Actually IF Sony licences an outofhouse-OS it's more likely to be a big chunk upfront and some ct (yes some ct) per unit.

The idea that Sony would pay 0.5 billion $ (50$ per unit and 10,000,000 units) is just to insane, even for you.

But more important, there is NO hardware that needs OS4 (maybe except of few garage-incs), but OS$ surely needs HW. Thats something which needs to sink deep into the brains of those responsible before OS4 even has a change to become a "serious" OS.

Hi Kronos,

Business 101, according to Kronos:

No HW needs AOS4.x.... No HW needs AOS.... No HW needs AN OS... therefore, never, ever, ever WRITE an OS, thinking that you can earn money.... Be a charity instead, write OS's and give them away at Christmas time; wwwhhheeeeeee!!!!! (Like all those AOL discs. )

BUT, reading the last paragraph of Business 101, acording to Kronos: It gets WORSE, seems that you as an OS developer should PAY others to use your OS.... Need my spleen too?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 3:34:23
# ]

Quote:
bbrv wrote:
@all

NEWS FLASH!!!

We have had an answer. We have just ask if we can post it here. The first indications are *very* positive!

R&B

Gggaakkgdgndvklpdbfdaakakkkkk.........

(Reference post #522.)

On a more serious note, from post #435:
Quote:
Atheist wrote:

Let's see, the bigger amount is 50, * 52 weeks == 2600

Now, if Hyperion Entertainment HAD ported AOS4.0 to peg2, how many copies of AOS4.0 would have been in users hands?
50, * 52 weeks == BIG FAT zero!
Equating to BIG FAT zero $!

Boy, that would make for happy programmers. NOT!

AND, just how much has this benefitted MorphOS1.4?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 3:34:58
# ]

Quote:
bbrv wrote:
@all

NEWS FLASH!!!

We have had an answer. We have just ask if we can post it here. The first indications are *very* positive!

R&B

Gggaakkgdgndvklpdbfdaakakkkkk.........

(Reference post #522.)

On a more serious note, from post #435:
Quote:
Atheist wrote:

Let's see, the bigger amount is 50, * 52 weeks == 2600

Now, if Hyperion Entertainment HAD ported AOS4.0 to peg2, how many copies of AOS4.0 would have been in users hands?
50, * 52 weeks == BIG FAT zero!
Equating to BIG FAT zero $!

Boy, that would make for happy programmers. NOT!

AND, just how much has this benefitted MorphOS1.4?

Report this post  
tomazkid 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 3:56:27
#530 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

You almost got a heart-attack didn't you?

Seems you recovered

Referring to your double post

Last edited by tomazkid on 19-Sep-2006 at 04:07 AM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 19-Sep-2006 at 03:56 AM.

poweramiga2002 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 4:03:58
#531 ]

@tomazkid

i could only imagine how much steam was coming from his ears :)

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 4:36:30
# ]

Hi tomazkid, poweramiga2002,

!

I pressed "submit" and Firefox didn't react*, so about half a minute later, I did it again.

Silly me.

* Don't blame windows; have RC5-72 running in the background, and many tabs open. Wow, is it really "Atheist" saying this? Hehehe!

Report this post  
Samwel 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 5:08:01
#533 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Come on! Why can't BBRV make a harmless joke? He just continued on Polka's
joke anyway. Why not jump on Polka also???

Just because it's him we don't have to behave like those *?!#@ people on MooBunny.
Would you have jumped on Rogue, EntilZha, HyperionM or any other associated with OS4?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 5:11:40
#534 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

I think you misunderstand Kronos because his harsh language.

You can't expect a company like Sony to pay several dollars per unit. OS4 is a
start up product anyway so making demands is not in their position. They'll have
to sell it as cheap as possible (without making a loss) just to get into the market.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

polka. 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 7:06:48
#535 ]

@Samwel

Quote:
Why not jump on Polka also???

Is this a call for site abuse?

saimo 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 7:51:37
#536 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
Come on! Why can't BBRV make a harmless joke? He just continued on Polka's
joke anyway. Why not jump on Polka also???

polka. said: "Are you sure? *Cueing dr_hirudo & Doodoohead & Atheist*".
BBRV said: "Please, one Doodoohead at a time".
He *selected* a precise name, and look which one happened to be (BTW: let me remark that, to continue the joke, "Please, one at a time", would have sufficed).
That said, I have already fully explained that I'm not offended by such a childish "joke"; but I find it unacceptable and I've already explained why. And, besides that, it was also most stupid moment to do it.

Quote:
Just because it's him we don't have to behave like those *?!#@ people on MooBunny.

I have no idea of what people on MooBunny says - I never go there. Regardless of that, it's a shame that BBRV gets that low.

Quote:
Would you have jumped on Rogue, EntilZha, HyperionM or any other associated with OS4?

Except that I've never seen any of them getting as low, yes, I'd find unacceptable.

saimo

polka. 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 7:55:56
#537 ]

@saimo

Quote:
He *selected* a precise name, and look which one happened to be (BTW: let me remark that, to continue the joke, "Please, one at a time", would have sufficed).

But then the joke wouldn't have "worked". Doh. But please continue with your in-depth analysis of every word that people said. I hope I can have a printed version of your thesis when it's finished.

gary_c 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 8:08:15
#538 ]
Cult Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Now, are you saying that all people on Moobunny are *?!#@ people or do you mean, of the people on Moobunny, the subset that are *?!#@ ? (As a Moobunny frequenter, I'm personally interested in the answer here. )

Please notice that this exactly parallels the infamous "morons in that thread" comment that bbrv once made and immediately got them branded as labeling everyone at Amigaworld.net a moron.

I always thought they meant the moronic subset -- which exists in varying sizes in just about every human gathering -- but never actually knew for sure. It's easy to see how wording that isn't extremely careful can be, and will be, interpreted by readers to best suit their own purposes.

-- gary_c

saimo 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 8:13:04
#539 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:

Quote:

But then the joke wouldn't have "worked".

Oh, yes, it would. And would have been consistent, even. In fact, your joke translates as "Don't be so sure, there are more left (f.ex. dr_Hirudo, DoodooHead, Atheist)", so the natural continuation - the one I suggested - would have been the equivalent of "OK, lemme face 'em one at a time and I'll sort the situation out". BBRV's "joke" is a continuation of "Don't be so sure, there are more DoodooHeads left", which is much different from what you said.
In a nutshell: BBRV intentionally used "DoodooHead" to qualify those who have a different view. Bad choice, really.

saimo

gary_c 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 8:35:16
#540 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

I guess you laugh easily at mundane things. "Please, one at a time" must be a milestone in dry humor -- I'm sure it'd work as a punchline in the right context, but it lacks the needed buildup here, IMO.

My view is that the joke hinges entirely on the fact that DoodooHead's name is used. That's because it provides the layers of meaning that are at the heart of many jokes. It has meaning both literally (DoodooHead the actual person) and figuratively (the next in the line of "DoodooHeads" -- aka dummies). He could have used another individual's name, but DoodooHead's name has the required context resonance for a little smile.

-- gary_c

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle