Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 K-L:  37 mins ago
 Prober:  43 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New hardware clue number 1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )
PosterThread
billt 
Re: New hardware clue number 1
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 21:41:41
#301 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Anything shown at Pianeta will be a low-spec solution (anything less than 1GHz is slow by todays standards), and my PC (an AMD64) will run rings about it. Heck, an old candy iMac would run rings around it.

It's a matter of perspective. You're comparing certain things that can't necessarily be compared here. Why can't they? Well, whatever might get announced at Pianeta should run OS4. Your AMD64 cannot do that at all, no matter how fast it is. That old iMac cannot do this at all, no matter how fast it is. If OS4 was ported to a PIC microcontroller running at 1MHz, it would be able to run OS4 much better than the AMD or iMac which cannot run OS4 at all. (No, I don't think OS4 will ever port to PIC, it's just an absurd example)

If all I want to do is run OS4, do I pay the higher price for hardware capable of that, or do I buy a cheaper faster hardware which cannot at all run OS4 no matter how much I want it to? If the price is more than what I have available to pay, do I save more and wait until I have enough, or do I change what I want to do, and run Linux or Windows or MacOS isntead of OS4 on that cheaper hardware? There's a choice there. But looking at a Mac or AMD hardware with the intentions of running OS4 is currently an act of lunacy, and for that reason comparing something that cannot possibly run OS4 to something that can is also a bit like comparing a Ferrari to a cantalope. A Ferrari will do a fantastic job of changing your location at a high rate, but the cantelope is not capable of much of anything at all in that regard, so the comparison is nonsense. Of course the cantelope can fill my stomach in a more pleasant fashion then the Ferrari does...

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 21:46:14
#302 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Have you been licking that toad?

Only joking...it makes sense

Ami603 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 21:46:46
#303 ]
Cult Member

@billt

Quote:
...so the comparison is nonsense. Of course the cantelope can fill my stomach in a more pleasant fashion then the Ferrari does...

Are you saying you're going to eat the AmigaOS4???

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

billt 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 21:49:45
#304 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
From 1 to 2 dozen people would have to read your comments and then sit down
privately and ask themselves "what can we agree on as a whole?" in this regard.

You can't please all the people all of the time. But you can try to minimize the number that you annoy at any particular moment.

IMHO the community has shown that more of it is annoyed when partial news is given, teasers, mockups, good intentions, which are not yet ready just then to be proven absolutely true, than the number that is annoyed by silence.

billt 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 22:56:47
#305 ]
Elite Member

@Ami603

Quote:
Are you saying you're going to eat the AmigaOS4???

Nope. The cantelope is better suited for eating that Ferraris and AmigaOS4 are. Just like expensive low-performance small-market hardware is better suited for running OS4 than cheap and plentiful AMD or Mac hardware is. Or that a glass of water is better suited for quenching my thirst than a leather desk chair is.

No, I'm not licking the toad. It's a TV show. Too bad it's gone downhill since season 3. All glory to the hypnotoad.

number6 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 22:57:19
#306 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
You can't please all the people all of the time. But you can try to minimize the number that you annoy at any particular moment.

IMHO the community has shown that more of it is annoyed when partial news is given, teasers, mockups, good intentions, which are not yet ready just then to be proven absolutely true, than the number that is annoyed by silence.

I think you wish to express these thoughts to the developers themselves and not to me.
I feel your post, with its good intentions, will be overlooked here in this thread.
If someone wished to start a thread on communications in general and how we could
-all- work together to improve them, you would get no argument from me.
Thanks for the reply as always.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 22:57:48
#307 ]
Elite Member

@billt

I think you stopped reading before you got to the end of my post

billt 
Posted on 8-Sep-2006 3:31:50
#308 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I think you stopped reading before you got to the end of my post

Mmmm... Toad... :) I just took the opportunity to expand on my nonsensical nonsense. And tonight I'm also on paint fumes. Good stuff.

Last edited by billt on 08-Sep-2006 at 03:36 AM.

billt 
Posted on 8-Sep-2006 3:33:27
#309 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
I think you wish to express these thoughts to the developers themselves and not to me.
I feel your post, with its good intentions, will be overlooked here in this thread.

You can't win them all. And by you I mean me. Or I. Whichever is correct. Maybe both of us.

AmigaCori 
Posted on 9-Sep-2006 0:34:19
#310 ]

@billt

Quote:

It's a matter of perspective. You're comparing certain things that can't necessarily be compared here. Why can't they? Well, whatever might get announced at Pianeta should run OS4. Your AMD64 cannot do that at all, no matter how fast it is. That old iMac cannot do this at all, no matter how fast it is. If OS4 was ported to a PIC microcontroller running at 1MHz, it would be able to run OS4 much better than the AMD or iMac which cannot run OS4 at all. (No, I don't think OS4 will ever port to PIC, it's just an absurd example)...etc.

I absolute quote you.

...I'm quite worried....can you read on my mind?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle