Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 MarcioD:  29 mins ago
 Gunnar:  34 mins ago
 kolla:  38 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs ago
 agami:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  7 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
kolinhar 
OS4
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 21:28:17
#1 ]

I have been try to contact Hyperion to get some more information about the status of OS 4 as I am getting back into using the Amiga. I am professional software developer with over 21 years in the software development environment and would like to contribute some of my knowledge to the development of OS4.

I would like to know where to start.

Many thanks

Kolinhar

Many thanks for the replies to my initial posting. First things first can anyone suggest where to get a hold of a machine with OS4 on. I live in Newport South Wales, so I am prepared to pick it up if necessary and it is a reasonable price.

As one of the suggestion put forward is to produce a word document view, which make sense, then followed by software (plugin to write a standard word document). Is there any one out there who has knowledge of the format of word documents.

Does any one know if there is going to be a database for the new operating system, if there isn't if there is any opensource for one which could be ported to the amiga. Or having something like ODBC connectivity.

I did see an Amiga One (just the mother board, initially) for sale one ebay. But the person wasn't wonting to sell the motherboard with the OS4 or the harddrive. It was priced at £600.

Kolinhar (date 17/09/06)

Last edited by kolinhar on 27-Sep-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Last edited by kolinhar on 27-Sep-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
tomazkid 
Re: OS4
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 21:35:26
#2 ]
Team Member

@kolinhar

to aw.net

We have a lot of OS4-developers here on aw.net, so you've come to the right place.

One project that does need help is this.

spotUP 
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 21:47:31
#3 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

good idea to point him in that direction. firefox is just as important as the os itself these days.
here's a link to the amizilla mailinglist join in!
all the help we can get is needed at this point!

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

Akiko 
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 21:53:44
#4 ]
Cult Member

OS4 developers site http://utilitybase.com/

CD32/ FMV Module

Rob 
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 23:05:05
#5 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

Presumably you'll have read the latest new release and have a rough idea about the status of OS4. If you need specific details it's worth posting questions here as other members of this site will probably know a bit more.

If you want to start developing you can download the Amiga OS4 SDK here and follow the tutorials on Utility Base to build a cross compiler for your current OS.

corto 
Posted on 26-Sep-2006 23:50:12
#6 ]

@kolinhar

Welcome onboard ! Nice to see a new developer in our community.

First, you need to get a machine with OS4 and the SDK. Then, the site UtilityBase is great and you can also use IRC on #amigadev.

What kind of projects do you use to make ? Low level, games, database, Unix stuff, ... ?
What would you like to do ?

There are many things to do ! We also need realistic people with experience to avoid some project management errors. Amiga programming is so great ! I hope you'll feel good with us.

AmigaClyde 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 0:09:14
#7 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

to Amigaworld.
I'm sure you'll find all the tools on this site.

µA1-C 750GX@800 using OS4.1

Rudei 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 8:59:34
#8 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

Rude!

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 10:38:45
#9 ]
Cult Member

@kolinhar

Welcome to AW.net, if you want to make a more formal introduction you can do it here New member introductions.

FuZion 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 10:57:33
#10 ]

Judging from kolinhars' post, he appears to want to contribute to the development OF OS4, as opposed to FOR OS4.

Unless I'm reading that wrong.

FuZion.

AmiGame 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 14:31:04
#11 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar
Welcome to AmigaWorld !

@FuZion
In this case, I would think Drivers could be a first step ?
Also close IMHO to the OS itself could be something like a Theme and ScreenBlanker Manager, a nice File Manager like Dopus, an app to read M$Office documents,... Or even little Commands which could be integrated to the OS like "WhoAmI" or "finger"...

Jerry

- A1XE-G4 up and runing with:
512MB Ram / 200GB and 80GB HardDisks on Sii0680.
AOS4 Final Update / AmiZilla 0.1 Alpha

Amiboy 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 19:21:20
#12 ]

@kolinhar

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

Toaks 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 19:29:33
#13 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

, you can PM Rogue or enthilza here on AW if you need to contact hyperion as they are some of hyperion's core developers.

Enjoy your stay.

corto 
Posted on 27-Sep-2006 19:40:44
#14 ]

@FuZion

It seems you are right but helping on OS development can concern many topics : GUI for some tools, drivers, firmware for new machines, datatypes, port of Linux apps (other filesystems, CUPS, ...) to include in the system, new Workbench (and a new shell !!), OpenGL library, ...

The best thing to know is waiting for he gives us more details.

@AmiGame

About a tool to read Word documents, I hope the work I am doing on my PowerPoint viewer (if you miss the news here 2 days ago : http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3334) will help supporting the Word format.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 16:24:16
#15 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

I'd say skip the AmigaOne, they had bad northbridge chips and the software team had to write a buch of patches to get it to work. The Sam440 is in the latest news but not in mass-production yet. There is another company looking to produce a higher-end board that will be announced soon.

This thread on Utilitybase.com has comments regarding SQLite if that interests you. There aren't many databases on AmigaOS right at the moment but if you wanted to port them from open-source I'm sure somebody would welcome them. I think MySQL got ported to the classic Amigas but not AOS 4.0. That might help as well.

BTW, It is hard to see when you've replied to other people's posts when you just edit an old one. On some bulletin boards there is a time limit on the "edit" function so try using the "reply" function instead.

Last edited by Samurai_Crow on 28-Sep-2006 at 04:26 PM.

elwood 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 16:45:18
#16 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar

A MySQL database would make me happy !

Amiga Translator Organisation

Argo 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 16:56:43
#17 ]

@tomazkid

There is also the Amiga OpenOffice project.

Curty 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 17:06:58
#18 ]

@kolinhar

Mad, your from newport!!!
I live in Pontypool so Im not far from you, its a small world!!!!
I promise you once you get involved with using and programming for OS4 you'll get hooked!

number6 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 17:30:22
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
I'd say skip the AmigaOne, they had bad northbridge chips and the software team had to write a buch of patches to get it to work.

Let's not confine all this to ArticiaS, though. Remember when George Breese
of VIA responded to Wegster in an email posted on this site?

Quote:
Good grief, there's a VIA VT82C686B sitting on the AmigaOne XE motherboard! What silly person put THAT there? :)

Disclaimer time... I never had tools to debug these issues properly. VIA claimed to fix the problem in late-2001 editions of the VT82C686B. It's been four years since I was hip-deep in the problem. So, take everything here with a grain of salt, as they say.

There is a major issue with the VT82C686B where, if both of its IDE channels are busy, it will continue touching the PCI bus after the PCI controller has removed GRANT. The theory was that the SoundBlaster Live brought out the problem because it frequently demanded access to the bus, forcing the PCI controller to constantly take GRANT away from the IDE controller while the IDE controller was requesting more time on the bus.

The popular workaround was to increase the duration of the PCI controller's arbitration timer. The timer's default was 32 cycles, but the corruption stopped if the timer was increased to 96 clocks. This lengthened the time between the SoundBlaster Live's REQuest starting, and the IDE controller's GRANT stopping. But this workaround was specific to the behavior of VIA's PCI controller chip. Other PCI controllers didn't cause the problem, and the design of their PCI arbitration circuitry was undoubtedly the reason. Oh, and a timer over 64 cycles in length can cause problems if an ISA bus is also present on the motherboard.

FYI, using PCI's Master Read Caching feature was also toxic, but this could have been a bad implementation of the feature on VIA chipsets. I remember being able to freeze the PCI bus by combining this feature with IDE activity and other sound cards, such as those using Aureal Vortex chips.

There were plenty of other issues with VIA. The SoundBlaster Live card would crackle if it couldn't receive its sounds through the PCI bus in a timely fashion; having an idle Athlon processor "go to sleep" would trigger this handily. This was also reproducible on motherboards that didn't use any VIA chips.

If you have access to the PCI controller of the AmigaOne motherboard, you can try tweaking the bus features and timings. I won't be able to help you gain access to the PCI controller, but someone should have a way to do it. Unfortunately, I can't contribute any time to the project.

-- George

Other issues discussed when Ian Stedman was asked to look at the issues in April:
in post #184

ssolie 
Posted on 28-Sep-2006 18:18:34
#20 ]
Elite Member

@kolinhar
I have 3 AmigaOne machines myself and they all work great for general purpose development and already run OS4 and the SDK so you can get to work immediately.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle