Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  18 mins ago
 bhabbott:  49 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 danwood:  5 hrs 18 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Amiga OS 4 on Mac
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
Insanity 
Re: Amiga OS 4 on Mac
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 13:03:04
#121 ]

@Richi

Quote:
@vision

your posts seem always so rude to me.

I couldn't agree more.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

Profile     Report this post  
umisef 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 14:09:24
#122 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:
What is strange is that nobody has written an emulator of the blizzardPPC jet

What, honestly, would be the point? And don't say "running OS4", because only the select few have OS4 for the Classic, and *they* are probably neither allowed nor motivated to try getting it to run on some emulation.

For the rest of the world, the Classic PPC extensions have as much useful software as, say, a BeBox.

Skunkfish 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 15:06:59
#123 ]

@Tomas

Apple may not be producing PowerPC Mac's anymore but that doesn't change the fact that there are literally MILLIONS of them out there. That's quite a market for Hyperion to aim OS4 at, even if only 0.1% of PowerPC Mac owners were to purchase OS4 that'd still be significantly more sales that its had so far. Also a 1.42GHz G4 Mac Mini can be picked up for little over £200 on ebay, definitely a reasonable price for the spec of the hardware and more powerful than any Amiga hardware currently released.

Skunkfish

pixie 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 16:36:53
#124 ]
Elite Member

@abalaban
Quote:
How would you justify you are selling a commercial product that works only in an emulator ? Do you really think it's a wise choice for a company ?

Have you ever seen AROS in hosted mode?

Tomas 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 17:16:39
#125 ]
Elite Member

@abalaban

Quote:
In fact you are right I already own OS4 running on an A1XE, but that don't change anything, say by example I own a Renault car and I don't like the speed regulator, whereas I find the BMW one more to my taste, I don't nag every day long BMW because I want them to adapt their speed regulator to a Renault...

Again it seems like you missunderstood me. As i have already said, i would be perfectly happy with a amigaone running OS4, but the fact is that these boards are not produced anymore and it is near impossible to even buy one second hand these days.
I just want hardware and i dont care if it is called ibm, amigaone, pegasos or mac.

Fransexy 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 17:16:52
#126 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:
And don't say "running OS4",

"running MorphOS"

Quote:
For the rest of the world, the Classic PPC extensions have as much useful software as, say, a BeBox

If BeOS never would have ported to x86 sure there would have been a Bebox emulator.And the software and games for a lot of very very old consoles and computers are not "useful" anymore and there are emulators of it.And finally there are a lot of people that write emulators only for the fun of it and/or for learning

Note that i want OS4 on their own hardware and not emulated.I´m only discussing about the fact that nobody has tried to emulate it and why

Last edited by Fransexy on 04-Oct-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 4-Oct-2006 17:22:26
#127 ]

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@Insanity

Quote:
So if it after this initiative is still deemed impossible, maybe then less people will bring this up?

Hopefully, but knowing us we'll still be arguing about it another 20 years from now...

Well to be honest I'm now starting to list this as being one of the reasons for the failure (yes, past tense) of OS4.

Spirantho 
Posted on 6-Oct-2006 11:10:23
#128 ]

Hi,

@abalaban
Quote:

abalaban wrote:
How would you justify you are selling a commercial product that works only in an emulator ? Do you really think it's a wise choice for a company ?
How many company still write and sell programs for Thomson MO5, ZX80, pretexting that emulators are everywhere ?

Nope, that's not what I'm suggesting... don't think that because I'm suggesting that as a way to run OS4 I'm suggesting it should be the only way.

I think there definitely should be new hardware to run OS4 on and any such classic PPC-Amiga emulation wouldn't replace that, far too much hassle for a main OS. But it would enable eager coders to get their hands dirty while we can't actually get new hardware, and maybe help to tempt other PPC-platform users to try out the OS.

At the moment projects like OpenOffice.org and Mozilla porting efforts are suffering greatly just because many talented developers don't have the hardware to help, and this is damaging the Amiga market more and more every day.

I don't see the harm in selling OS4 as emulator-compatible, but the primary product will always be decicated hardware as it'll always be far preferable for mainstream usage.

abalaban 
Posted on 6-Oct-2006 15:52:35
#129 ]

@Spirantho

Quote:
At the moment projects like OpenOffice.org and Mozilla porting efforts are suffering greatly just because many talented developers don't have the hardware to help

You must be joking, aren't you ? The challenge isn't even at this level for this porting efforts : if only we had, let's say an OS2.x compatible, compilable version of this projects it would be a start and then you could focus on optimizing for such or such platform (OS3.x/68k, WOS/PPC, OS4/PPC, MOS/PPC) but fact is that we are not at this point yet and those "many" talented developpers wanting to help can very well have "their hands dirty" using cross-compiling on MacOS/Linux/Windows and testing using UAE.

Quote:
I don't see the harm in selling OS4 as emulator-compatible,

If I were a company manager I ould say the cost involved in the port compared to the invest return ?

EDIT: typo

Last edited by abalaban on 06-Oct-2006 at 04:24 PM.

ian-uk 
Posted on 15-Oct-2006 23:00:23
#130 ]

Didn't expect this much response. Maybe if Os 5 is mutli-format this will solve the problem.

1 TB HD
+ AROS

ian-uk 
Posted on 1-Nov-2009 5:00:17
#131 ]

I've bought a Mac Mini now and just installed MorphOS (amazing), still hope AmigaOS is released for Mac hardware, but for now i've turned blue.

1 TB HD
+ AROS

Leo 
Posted on 1-Nov-2009 10:59:24
#132 ]

Quote:

If BeOS never would have ported to x86 sure there would have been a Bebox emulator.And the software and games for a lot of very very old consoles and computers are not "useful" anymore and there are emulators of it.And finally there are a lot of people that write emulators only for the fun of it and/or for learning

Well, the difference is that all these old emulators and consoles have software people want to run, and can't run anywhere else...

You can already run BlizzardPPC software on MacMini, Pegasos, Sam, whatever... with OS4 or MorphOS.

There is no software at all that is specific to BlizzardPPC... Not to mention most software/games released were direct recompilation of PC games (Doom, Quake, bla...) or Amiga games.

redfox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2009 15:05:28
#133 ]
Elite Member

@ian-uk

I suddenly realized this thread was started 3 years ago.

I hope all goes well with your Mac Mini and MorphOS.

I would also like to see AmigaOS on Mac Mini equipment, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. Rogue and Hyperion have already said they would not do the port. At that time they were constrained by licensing and legal matters with Amiga Inc.

Maybe now they will go for a newer system, like the ones built into the LCD monitor with a separate keyboard and mouse or a laptop or notebook style system. (Sorry, I don't know what Apple calls these systems.)

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 01-Nov-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 01-Nov-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 1-Nov-2009 17:22:34
#134 ]

Quote:

Maybe now they will go for a newer system, like the ones built into the LCD monitor with a separate keyboard and mouse or a laptop or notebook style system.

These are iMac machines and come with a G5... So it's a totally different beast.

agami 
Posted on 2-Nov-2009 3:47:07
#135 ]

So we haven't achieved much in 3 years.

It might be upsetting that the Amiga Community keep harping on about Amiga OS4 on PPC Macs, but this is in no way as upsetting as some of the overly regurgitated dismissing remarks made by members of the very same community.

No documentation. Apple doesn’t allow it. Hardware not produced anymore. It is too difficult. Having multiple Linux distributions running on them isn’t any help.

Do y’all work for ACube? We’re not idiots.

Now I’m pretty sure that most members of the Amiga Community are not advocating that Hyperion’s entire strategy for business success is to use a limited, though large compared to anything else we’ve got, pool of hardware.

The reality is that pretty much all of the G4 and G5 PPC Macs are put together from off-the-shelf components. No custom chipsets. The component OEM will provide documentation on their parts, you don’t even need to be able to speak Mandarin or Cantonese. (Please don’t post anecdotal evidence of how some guy tried contacting some firm and got nowhere, the OEMs Apple deals with are not small fry).

Why do we repeatedly bring-up the topic of OS4 for PPC Macs? Because we either have or can get entire ready-made systems for well under US$1000.00. I got a Dual G5 1.8GHz for under AU$600.00 on eBay earlier this year. This makes it very hard to spend more money on lesser hardware.

Hyperion has an OS ready to sell. They have an audience ready to buy. The stumbling block is reasonable hardware at reasonable prices. We would all like shiny new hardware to run OS4 on but when and at what price/performance?

Porting OS4 to run on PPC Macs would require some work, no one is denying this, but Morphos has shown that it can be done. It is not the future of OS4.x, but it can be the 'Now'. Plus it would make sure that whatever hardware someone is working on ends up being better than the PPC Macs we’d all be running.

aperezbios 
Posted on 2-Nov-2009 5:00:48
#136 ]

@agami

Amen to all the sane and salient points you've made above. The previous three years of idiotic comments in this thread are truly disappointing.

To all those who say "what's the point", you need to realize that Mac G4s are inexpensive and plentiful. Maybe not where you live, but in a LOT of other places, they are. I have several G4 PowerMacs (towers) and have investigated the feasability of completely replacing the broken OpenFirmware implementation with coreboot, which can carry as a payload, an open source OF clone, or alternatively, U-Boot.

Think about it rationally...what makes a G4 Macintosh a mac, once you strip it of its firmware?

I have great accessibility to used G4 mac hardware here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and if I could get this off the ground, I would seriously be willing to act as a VAR, acquiring mac hardware and reselling re-flashed boxes.

Last edited by aperezbios on 02-Nov-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Last edited by aperezbios on 02-Nov-2009 at 05:03 AM.

d0pefish 
Posted on 2-Nov-2009 9:48:14
#137 ]

Great points guys, +1 from me.

I've already mentioned in another thread I'd pay for a Mac port of OS4 port any day.
MOS absolutely flies on the Mac Mini and it'd be truly awesome to see OS4 alongside it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle