Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 zipper:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  40 mins ago
 vox:  41 mins ago
 Gunnar:  46 mins ago
 Karlos:  58 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 1 min ago
 danwood:  1 hr 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  What if AmigaOS4 and MorphOS stopped fighting please
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmiDelf2 
What if AmigaOS4 and MorphOS stopped fighting please
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 9:30:45
#1 ]

I am a MorphOS user, a AmigaOS 3.1 user and I love using them tougether. Only reason for not getting AmigaOS4 is infact its hardware prices. Way to high. Maybe Samantha can change this, I hope.

Well, I see the sides arguing from top to down about how the future should be. Maybe you should really think about what the Amiga community needs? If I were new, I would really be confused because of all this fight as it is seen on sites like osnews etc. What to choose, the red or blue side. The never ending story goes on and on.

What if all could think of getting things done instead of arguing? Isn`t Amiga about creativity in first place? Isn`t that what drives you? Shouldn`t Amiga community focus on telling what its got instead of smashing its sides down without any good reasons. Because this is a active community, things will allways happend ways. Like AmigaOS users desktops, all have their own heart, mind and design. That what makes Amiga users special. They show creativity no other community shows that good. I am a proud Amiga user because of the difference and how great the community is.

We should all focus on promoting what we have. Either its MorphOS or AmigaOS4 or the another way arround. We should focus on beeing the alternative creative community. In the end its just choices of what you want to use and what you are comfortable with.

AmigaOS4 gives you functions and your personal GUI and enviroment which you like and MorphOS does the same thing. The differences between AmigaOS4 and MorphOS arent big and we should focus on that. Create AMIGA now, with help from all of us which are part of it. Get AmigaOS4 onto Pegasos platform, get MorphOS onto Samantha. Let these systems be available for any AmigaPPC related hardware and call it all for "the creative community".

Because we are unique. We hold on something that many looks at as not alive anymore. We have proven that Amiga and MorphOS is something. We have proven that we have different goals and arguments, we have proven that we are active!.. and thats something we should move on with!

I hope that Amiga can be a name as PC is PC for others. Amiga could be name of creativity! Because without you creative Amiga users out there, Amiga wouldnt be alive today. I thank you all for beeing alive in 2006, because without you my heart wouldnt be the same. Amiga is something special, which touches everyones hearts and thats something which we all should keep thinking of. Go for goals tougether and promote so that new interested people have the chance to come and be a part of this superb community. Let it live I say!

Regards,
Michal, editor of Amitopia, www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net

Profile     Report this post  
Mangaclub 
Re: What if AmigaOS4 and MorphOS stopped fighting please
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:03:05
#2 ]

@AmiDelf2

The fight will never be over. Atleast we are all humans (more or less).
That means its war aslong humans have different opinions or arent smart enougth to tollerate the opinion of the other.
For the most of the humans its more fun to be not smart.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:08:51
#3 ]

@AmiDelf2
Wise words, young Jedy, wise words...
We are few and not as strong as Mac or PC, and we are dividing our strengths in name of... of a name...

Please, before flaming my answer, spend a moment to think what would happen if Amiga Inc, Hyperion, Mos, Amiga Anywhere, AROS, UAE and the people behind them join their strength for one single purpose: bring back an informatic dream to his righteous position in the world...

*Casting Protection from flame 100 posts radius on self*

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Fransexy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:18:09
#4 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDelf2

Quote:
What if AmigaOS4 and MorphOS stopped fighting please

What if X86 lovers and PowerPC fan boys stopped fighting please

Last edited by Fransexy on 27-Oct-2006 at 10:19 AM.

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:19:58
#5 ]

@ErikBauer

Thats exactly what I am thinking of. Amiga needs to set goals and we saw flaws of Commodore, Escom, Gateway etc.. The only way now is up :) The community level is now stable at the "underground" life of computing. Now the goal is up, and thats up.

Mac have a community, the same with Amiga. Lets show what we have instead of showing something different than the real truth. Its as if we are affraid of showing how good Amiga is.

Regards,
Michal, editor of Amitopia, www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:24:11
#6 ]

@Fransexy

I dont think that the real amigan wants to go x86. I think Amiga home is 68k/ColdFire and PPC. Amige should be different, targetting other platforms than x86 which gives less competition. Get AmigaOS4 to cell or how about Power5 from IBM? I dont think that x86 is any good idea. Atleast not now,.. Amiga needs to gain strength. I dont want to see another BeOS fatality for Amiga, so going x86 now would be not wise.

Regards,
Michal, editor of Amitopia , www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net

T_Bone 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:44:47
#7 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDelf2

Quote:

AmiDelf2 wrote:
@Fransexy

I dont think that the real amigan wants to go x86. I think Amiga home is 68k/ColdFire and PPC. Amige should be different, targetting other platforms than x86 which gives less competition.

That doesn't give less competition.
The choices are "AmigaOS" or "Windows (linux/etc)", regardless what CPU AmigaOS uses.

PPC just makes AmigaOS less competitive against the competition.

Fransexy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:51:00
#8 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

The only thing that makes you competitive in the IT industry is being different, if you are another one like thousand more why people will choose you instead of other of the thousand that offer the same like you?

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:51:10
#9 ]

@T_Bone

No. Your so wrong!

PPC is another architecture, its made by IBM and its something different than x86. With x86 AmigaOS4 will just swallowup. AROS is doing fine on x86 btw.. why another AmigaOS on x86? There is Amithlon, AROS allready on x86 side. AmigaOS4 and MorphOS is something different and I like the Intel Outside way which Amiga users created and should stand by, rather than just follow the stream. Amiga wont sell in millions just because it comes for x86. It wont. People are fed up with paying for Windows etc.

Economicly wise, OS4 should stay on PPC or if released for x86 released for free as x86 isnt good commercially.. and especially for such small os as AmigaOS4 is today. Just look at how it went with BeOS etc.

jkirk 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:01:37
#10 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDelf2

you can still be intel outside and go AMD

besides t_bone is correct powerpc lost the war al ong time ago for the desktop to ignore the winner to be different is not a smart thing. that does not mean exclusively x86 tho.

i am reminded of an old monty python skit

the black knight saying "it's only a flesh wound" when he only has one leg leftand no arms.

Last edited by jkirk on 27-Oct-2006 at 11:03 AM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Crumb 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:19:36
#11 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

mmm I don't think so. The main problem with x86 is that it is little endian so running 680x0/PPC apps transparently wouldn't be possible without making x86 native apps run much more slowly.

I wouldn't be against an x86 OS4 version but big endian versions shouldn't be dropped!

BTW, G5 cpus are cheaper that similar Opterons.

The main problem for AmigaOS4 is not lack of hardware, it is Amiga Inc, a company that eats their own children. The stupid license issue only has caused that we haven't seen a competitive motherboard for OS4 in 4 years.

Last edited by Crumb on 27-Oct-2006 at 11:22 AM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:24:00
#12 ]

@Crumb

Could not agree more.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:37:47
#13 ]

@AmiDelf2

Well said. Never understod why there had to ba a fight between the users.
If there where no AmigaOS4 every one would have been using MOS and would be happy with it. And if OS4 had come before MOS then MOS wouldn't have been made.

Both fill / filled the need for a PPC native AmigaOS.

GW 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 13:33:33
#14 ]

@Crumb

Quote:
BTW, G5 cpus are cheaper that similar Opterons.

But where can I find motherboards for G5 CPU's?

Last edited by GW on 27-Oct-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Foody 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 13:51:44
#15 ]

@AmiDelf2

Look what you have started another post with 700 pages and in the end NO result what so ever. We are chickens aren't we, buck, buck, buck, caaaack! Is what we do all day but zero actions.

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 14:06:18
#16 ]

@WOSPUPOS4

I agree with you. I got myself PegasosII+MorphOS in february 2004. And the reason was that MorphOS 1.4 was out, AmigaOS4 werent out and thats it. Also price was a important reason.

It is wrong to say that PPC isnt massmarked for desktop users. The new Nintendo Wii got PPC, XBOX360 got cell, same with Playstation 3. PegasosII got PPC, Samantha, Troika etc... Its just that Apple and IBM couldnt get along, which is a bit sad.

Before mac went x86, I actually bought this PowerBook 12" because it got PPC. Lots of friends did the same. Mac people were PPC fanatics all of them, until the day Steve announced partnership with Intel. Then it all suddendly didnt matter. As if what all had said just flew out of the window.

I am a part of the Amiga community and I feel it right to fight for what is the best thing for it. I dont want it to end up like BeOS and thats why I want both AmigaOS4 and MorphOS to stick to PPC now. Its commercial adviseable. Maybe in 5-10 years when Amiga have got ennough users, that it can jump but for now no. And if Amiga sticks to PPC it shows that it is something different. It is cool, great. We as users just need to tell the world whats happening and what this community is all about.

When Amiga becomes more popular, I wish for:
- Amiga mice
- Amiga keyboard PS/2 or USB (92 keys)
- Promote for its alternative power

These are goals which could easily be reached. But then we need to talk now and I bet you do it allready but to discuss about Amiga go x86 is not good. And you know why if you just think!

ironfist 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 14:10:00
#17 ]
Cult Member

AmiDelf2:
There is no Cell in XBOX 360.

jkirk 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 14:13:03
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Foody

then don't post

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 14:18:44
#19 ]

@ironfist

oki, sorry then

The Xbox 360 takes a new approach to hardware compared to its predecessor. The CPU, named Xenon, is a custom triple-core PowerPC-based design by IBM. The CPU emphasizes high floating point performance through multiple FPU and SIMD vector processing units in each core.

ronaldst 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 14:21:56
#20 ]

@AmiDelf2

It will all end when AROS is advanced enough to be usable daily. Until then, enjoy the rivalry.

All beer tastes bad.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle