Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  30 mins ago
 matthey:  44 mins ago
 Torque:  48 mins ago
 zipper:  57 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 bendito:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Efika as a chance for amiga-related systems to create a sustainable market
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheMagicM 
Re: Opportunities for developers!
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 19:30:48
#121 ]

@takemehomegrandma

oh oh oh!! thats me!! LOL.

Its time the OS4 Dev Team ported their OS to the EFIKA.

Profile     Report this post  
Akiko 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 20:26:08
#122 ]
Cult Member

@TheMagicM

I think I'm wright in saying that even if they wanted too it's beyond their control.

I hope AInc have learned something from this hardware disaster and the vacuum it's created.

EFIKA doesn't really appeal to me personally unless no better hardware arrives. Even if they agreed and start the ball rolling tomorrow, by the time license's and the port was completed there should already be much more powerful and interesting alternatives available.

Last edited by Akiko on 28-Nov-2006 at 08:31 PM.

CD32/ FMV Module

Srbin 
Re: Efika as a chance for amiga-related systems to create a basic market
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 20:54:35
#123 ]

@IonMane

Quote:

Oh damn, I just went and fed the trolls.

and give us to make it better :)

TheMagicM 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 21:08:28
#124 ]

@Akiko

Everybody needs to eat/live sooner or later. OS4 sitting on the Friedens desk doesnt make any money for them. Its a smart move to get it done on the EFIKA board.

As for better hardware..Genesi always has something up their sleeve... EFIKA for me is a small footprint mobo for a small footprint OS (MOS). For the price you cant beat it. You can always get a EFIKA and run MOS. When OS4 jumps onboard switch back over. :)

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/8641d.php
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/tetrapower.php

Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 21:14:13
#125 ]
Team Member

@TheMagicM

Quote:
When OS4 jumps onboard switch back over. :)

You know full well that this isn't gonna happen...

TheMagicM 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 21:23:11
#126 ]

@AMiGR

I'm hoping thats not the case otherwise there will be quite a few OS4 folks without any promise of a update to their OS. :- /

Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 21:32:27
#127 ]
Team Member

@TheMagicM

Politics will stop it from happening, just like they stopped an AmigaOS4 port to the Pegasos, Amiga Inc. "loves" Genesi and will never give out a licence for them...

In my opinion, this is putting emotions before business, which is almost always a fatal mistake, but it's their business and they can do what they like with it.

Akiko 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 21:49:45
#128 ]
Cult Member

@TheMagicM

"Everybody needs to eat/live sooner or later"

Yes but how long would it take to draw up the necessary licensing and have it working with OS4? I suspect longer that whatever hardware their currently working on.
Also the small problem that AInc wouldn't ever authorize such a license
or Genesi request one for that matter.

"Genesi always has something up their sleeve"

Yes usually they do, and another reason why I'd rather give my hard earned cash to new hardware developers such as Sam or anyone else that has a hope in hell of geting a licence that runs OS4.

Last edited by Akiko on 28-Nov-2006 at 09:55 PM.

CD32/ FMV Module

adiaux 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:13:15
#129 ]

@AMiGR

Actually, I don't think politics has as much to do with it as many seems to think ...

Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:14:48
#130 ]
Team Member

@takemehomegrandma

Well, no licence, no port and Amiga Inc will not grant a licence for it. So, how exactly does it not have to do with politics?

Legion 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:23:30
#131 ]
Cult Member

@takemehomegrandma

Lol... In that case, please explain.

IonMane 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:42:57
#132 ]
Cult Member

@IGN and other recent posters

Once again I have noticed my suggestion ignored. COnsidering the UNLIKELYHOOD that any Genesi hardware will EVER get an license, court cases ignored for the moment, would it not be MUCH much much much simpler to port MOS to the Amiga hardware when\if it comes out?

@Akiko
To be fair the port would probably not take that long, but the production of the CD;s etc and that side of it would probably take some time yes.

@srbin

I brew me own :)

@MagicM
Quote:
I'm hoping thats not the case otherwise there will be quite a few OS4 folks without any promise of a update to their OS. :- /

Thats just FUD and you know it. You cannot possibley make that claim with any authority whatsoever.

@TMHG
I am beginning to think you are a clone of BB!
If you have something to say, please say it. A link to a post somewhere else says nothing with the exception of someone asking for said link. So, I am with Legion and AMiGR on this one...wanna explain that?

adiaux 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:50:52
#133 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Well, no licence, no port and Amiga Inc will not grant a licence for it. So, how exactly does it not have to do with politics?

Well, maybe because Amiga Inc is broken (in several ways) and is not in a position (or interested in) to enter long-term binding deals regarding this? Maybe they especially can't enter deals concerning IP they don't own, or may not even have simple decision-rights over in the end? Maybe their (the VC's) business was all about the Amiga Anywhere anyway? Maybe they were never even interested in OS4 at all, and that was merely a knee-jerk reaction from Fleecy at the brink of corporate collapse (and it cost them nothing!) in order to do something to keep them "3000 content developers" around (they have probably accounted this as some kind of IP value in their books). Anyway, my point is that I don't think *anyone* will be getting an OS4 license, and that if Amiga Inc would have seen a business opportunity with having their IP running on the Efika (and had they been in a state where they could actually care about it), I think they would have gladly put all "politics" aside, since business is about money, not politics.

Anyway, all this is in my humble opinion only, of course ...

Gleng 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 22:55:26
#134 ]

@takemehomegrandma
Quote:
Anyway, my point is that I don't think *anyone* will be getting an OS4 license

As sad as it sounds, I think you're absolutely right. I really hope we're wrong though.

adiaux 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 23:02:04
#135 ]

@IonMane

Quote:
would it not be MUCH much much much simpler to port MOS to the Amiga hardware when\if it comes out?

Technically, it doubt it would be difficult to port MOS to other PPC hardware, especially if the hardware runs the Genesi HAL/OF. Question is if the MorphOS Team would find it worthwhile? Bring out the hardware, and you may find out! Until that hardware is out, everything is only speculations anyway ...

Quote:
I am beginning to think you are a clone of BB!

Ah, you are flattering me!

adiaux 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 23:03:22
#136 ]

@Gleng

Quote:

Gleng wrote:
@takemehomegrandma
Quote:

As sad as it sounds, I think you're absolutely right. I really hope we're wrong though.

As strange as it may sound (to some at least), I hope I am wrong too! Make no mistake about that!

Akiko 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 23:08:32
#137 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

I think if this was the case you would have heard Hyperion vent their fury and anger before now.

CD32/ FMV Module

IonMane 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 23:14:22
#138 ]
Cult Member

@takemehomegrandma

Thats and AWEFUL lot of maybe's. Do you have anything to back any of this?
Of course you are entitled to this opnion, but if it's just about money, Genesi could have paid the license fee straight up at the start and all of this could have been avoided. Or was it Thendic back then?

Or perhaps maybe they can make long term deal considering thie IP? The fact they have done so with Eyetech, Hyperion and a number of more recent companies is just an elaborate hoax perhaps?
Just think of it, hyperion working thier ass off all these years on an OS thats nothing more than a cover so Amiga Inc. can pull a fast one on us all.

This is all just complete FUD

In my opinion that is.

@all
I dunno, which opinion seems more likely to you?

Quote:
Technically, it doubt it would be difficult to port MOS to other PPC hardware, especially if the hardware runs the Genesi HAL/OF. Question is if the MorphOS Team would find it worthwhile? Bring out the hardware, and you may find out! Until that hardware is out, everything is only speculations anyway ...

Apparently this has already been done with the A1, no reason it couldnot have been done then.The other side of the coin is also true, would hyperion find it worthwhile.....only reason to consider it atm is the fact there is no vailable hardware, but hyperion seems very confident there will be in the not too distant future.

Last edited by IonMane on 28-Nov-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Last edited by IonMane on 28-Nov-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 0:02:56
#139 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
You know full well that this isn't gonna happen...

Do any of us know?

Rogue and Entzila haven't posted here in nearly a fortnight (If they keep this up they will be challenging Bill and Fleecy for their record!
Entzilla logged in fairly recently - I imagine there are things going on we don't know about.

bty - not only have we seen the Freidens go quiet, we also didn't get an update from bbrv on the subject of their communications with Amiga Inc.

I am guessing no news is good news in both cases - but then I'm just a hopeless optimist!

TheMagicM 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 2:48:39
#140 ]

when you folks reply to me dont flame me, I'm just posting my view of the scenario. I love the Amiga but I'm also a realist.

@Akiko:
Quote:

Yes but how long would it take to draw up the necessary licensing and have it working with OS4? I suspect longer that whatever hardware their currently working on.
Also the small problem that AInc wouldn't ever authorize such a license
or Genesi request one for that matter.

I dunno how long it would take, I'm just making a comment. As for getting a license..doesnt Genesi already have that contract? It seems as though they have it but AI interprets their language in the contract differently just to spite BBRV & Genesi. How many would jump on the bandwagon if the Friedens port OS4 to whatever solution Genesi has? I'm willing to bet the house on it that it'll be quite a few.
In all honesty, Genesi is the company with the hardware, no denying that. The logical choice is to move your software over to thier platform. There were other boards like the Sam or whatever other one.. I havent read up on it to see what its status is or whatnot. I'm just here for whats real and its sitting on my desk next to a 1541-II which will be gutted to house it. (EFIKA).

Quote:

Yes usually they do, and another reason why I'd rather give my hard earned cash to new hardware developers such as Sam or anyone else that has a hope in hell of geting a licence that runs OS4.

ok.

@takemehomegrandma:
Quote:
Actually, I don't think politics has as much to do with it as many seems to think ...

you'd be surprised as to how much politics plays into it.

@Ionmane:

Quote:
Once again I have noticed my suggestion ignored. COnsidering the UNLIKELYHOOD that any Genesi hardware will EVER get an license, court cases ignored for the moment, would it not be MUCH much much much simpler to port MOS to the Amiga hardware when\if it comes out?

Would you port your operating system to a motherboard that doesnt have the same corporate backing like Genesi's hardware? That is the current scenario OS4 is in.

Quote:
Thats just FUD and you know it. You cannot possibley make that claim with any authority whatsoever.

I'm just calling it like I see it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle