Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 pixie:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  59 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Rassilon:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Efika as a chance for amiga-related systems to create a sustainable market
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
TheMagicM 
Re: Opportunities for developers!
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 2:59:49
#141 ]

@IonMane

Quote:

Technically, it doubt it would be difficult to port MOS to other PPC hardware, especially if the hardware runs the Genesi HAL/OF. Question is if the MorphOS Team would find it worthwhile? Bring out the hardware, and you may find out! Until that hardware is out, everything is only speculations anyway ...

Quote:

Apparently this has already been done with the A1, no reason it couldnot have been done then.The other side of the coin is also true, would hyperion find it worthwhile.....only reason to consider it atm is the fact there is no vailable hardware, but hyperion seems very confident there will be in the not too distant future.

MOS Devel folks are some brilliant coders. period. If they wanted to port MOS to run on a calculator they could (I kid, I kid..but they probably could.. LOL)
As for the Friedens..maybe their vision of viable hardware is porting OS4 to a Genesi solution? I dunno..just a comment and wishful thinking. All anyone can do is speculate since this whole thing is so secretive. :- /

Profile     Report this post  
gary_c 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 3:29:06
#142 ]
Cult Member

@IonMane
Quote:
Just think of it, hyperion working thier ass off all these years on an OS thats nothing more than a cover so Amiga Inc. can pull a fast one on us all. This is all just complete FUD

In my opinion that is.

@all I dunno, which opinion seems more likely to you?

I'm afraid my views are pretty close to what TMHG speculates about the Amiga, Inc.'s situation. Think about it: Amiga, Inc. has a very slim income flow, from all appearances, and yet apparent opportunities to make money in the PPC market aren't even responded to, let alone actively sought out. Imagine how AmigaOS could be promoted if Amiga, Inc./Hyperion worked as hard at it as Genesi does, making industry contacts, seeding projects, etc. No, back to reality -- not a peep out of Amiga, Inc. for months at a time, and then only marketing deals for a short list of Flash games that have nothing to do with this market, along with the very rare and semi-informed, semi-coherent lip service occasionally given to this community.

From this, isn't it obvious that whoever controls the Amiga, Inc. purse strings does not look at the AOS4 PPC computing market as a viable one for investment and promotion? If you think otherwise, I wonder on what basis? Far from FUD, it seems to me the skeptical view is the only realistic one.

As for Hyperion, one thing the Bill McEwen interview/Hyperion guys' reactions and the Garry Hare/Amiga, Inc. legal documents brought out was that there are sharp differences of opinion between the partners -- to put it mildly -- that seem critical enough to paralyze things indefinitely. Hyperion's work on AOS4 has been done in good faith, I think. But, really, I also think it's very possible Amiga, Inc. and/or the VC guys involved may have some dirty tricks ready to spring, or maybe already have begun to play them.

Quote:
....but hyperion seems very confident there will be in the not too distant future.

Well, that adds another dimension to the mystery. It's interesting to me that Bill McEwen went out of his way to diss Troika, while Hyperion seems to be working with Troika in some way. Maybe this reflects the apparent falling out between the two companies. And the AOS4 ownership also seems to be an issue. How a fully sanctioned product could emerge from this mess is quite a mystery to me, but strange things do happen sometimes, so we'll see.

-- gary_c

IonMane 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 4:08:00
#143 ]
Cult Member

@gary_c

Quote:
Think about it: Amiga, Inc. has a very slim income flow

The available evidence says otherwise. You dont logicaly buy out companies if you dont have much of an income flow. In fact, would not the buyout increase the income flow?Sorry, that whole section is nothing more than speculation at best. You do not know whats going on there unless you work there.You cannot claim to have any knowledge of the real amount of work, contact making or anything else they are doing.That they choose not to say anything to the community about it at this time is neither here no there, when they were they were critisized just as much or moreso than they are now.And do not discount flash or "casual games" That particular area is approaching $1billion in revenue and is only increasing.

Quote:
From this, isn't it obvious that whoever controls the Amiga, Inc. purse strings does not look at the AOS4 PPC computing market as a viable one for investment and promotion? If you think otherwise, I wonder on what basis? Far from FUD, it seems to me the skeptical view is the only realistic one.

No its not. All that is abvious is they want to keep what they are doing to themselves until such point as they are ready to reveal it....on recent track record that has been when a deal or product is done AND available.

Quote:
As for Hyperion, one thing the Bill McEwen interview/Hyperion guys' reactions and the Garry Hare/Amiga, Inc. legal documents brought out was that there are sharp differences of opinion between the partners -- to put it mildly -- that seem critical enough to paralyze things indefinitely. Hyperion's work on AOS4 has been done in good faith, I think. But, really, I also think it's very possible Amiga, Inc. and/or the VC guys involved may have some dirty tricks ready to spring, or maybe already have begun to play them.

Have not seen those documents so I cannot comment. If you have them then perhaps you could provide them and then we could talk about it.

Quote:
Well, that adds another dimension to the mystery. It's interesting to me that Bill McEwen went out of his way to diss Troika, while Hyperion seems to be working with Troika in some way. Maybe this reflects the apparent falling out between the two companies. And the AOS4 ownership also seems to be an issue. How a fully sanctioned product could emerge from this mess is quite a mystery to me, but strange things do happen sometimes, so we'll see.

This is a bit of a mystery, neverheless we dont know whats really going on so it is just more speculation.

There is a chance that this *could* be true but without that factual support I am sorry, but I simply cannot agree with you. I can only conern myself with what IS. The 25 questions IS, the followup interview IS, the announcement of SAM IS the buyout IS, the recent deal with various companies IS and so on.Everything you have concluded is based on speculation based on guesses based on a sceptical point of view, with no basis in fact (at least none in evidence in your post).

This produces the Fear that you are right, Uncertainty about the future and Doubt that anything positive is going to happen for the community.

FUD

Back it up with some hard indisputeable facts and I wil revist that opinon however.

Oh wow, I am a cult member now LOL

Last edited by IonMane on 29-Nov-2006 at 04:09 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 4:23:16
#144 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

AInc. "buying out companies" doesn't mean that they have any actual income, it just means that whoever pulls the strings from behind (read the investors) wanted those 2 companies to be in the same basket.

AInc's only real income (as in selling products) are those cell-phone-puzzle-games which didn't sell well back 3 years ago, and have allready fallen far behind what others offer.

The "they have to be silent about it" excuse has been used far to often to have any value. Remember it's now allmost 7 years with more or less the same guys at the helm, 7 years where they delievered little more than lies,scams and BS, 7 years where they didn't spare use with any possible idiocy possible.

IonMane 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 6:45:12
#145 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

Sorry but I think you a wrong. Amiga Inc. buying a company means
1. they have money
2.They have income from the company they just bought at the very least.

As for the "cell phone" games, do you have a copy of thier sales figures? Thier deal with MS produced a sell out of product.

Quote:
The "they have to be silent about it" excuse has been used far to often to have any value. Remember it's now allmost 7 years with more or less the same guys at the helm, 7 years where they delievered little more than lies,scams and BS, 7 years where they didn't spare use with any possible idiocy possible.

Well thats your opnion and you are entitled to it. However if they had not done what they have done there would be no updated Amiga OS and no NG hardware at all for developers to develop on.

So if that is your difinition of little *shrug*

Last edited by IonMane on 29-Nov-2006 at 06:51 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 15:58:44
#146 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Companies can be bought starting at 1$.... actually even less when it's done like the Siemens/BenQ deal were BenQ got millions for buying Siemens' cell-phone-department.

The deal with MS to sell AA-games in a media-market-chain (compuquick or something like that) was a flop, and the 1st batch of games sold out half a year later (and after being in the 10$-bin for months).

OS4 and A1 happened despite AInc's actions, not because. Just look up the history on it.

billt 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 16:38:13
#147 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Maybe been answered at some point but I can't find anything about it... What form-factor is Efika? Is it Mini-ITX, some other standard, or something new and unique? Just curious as to what cases it might be compatible with.

hatschi 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 16:45:45
#148 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
What form-factor is Efika? Is it Mini-ITX, some other standard, or something new and unique? Just curious as to what cases it might be compatible with.

It's a non-standard form factor (don't ask me why). For EFIKA-specs (including measurements), have a look at this site.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle