Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  2 mins ago
 michalsc:  9 mins ago
 matthey:  15 mins ago
 klx300r:  32 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 maseghir:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 ggw:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Sony PS3 vs MS XBox 360
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 Next Page )
Poll : Sony PS3 vs Microsoft XBox 360 - christmas 2007 - Which will \\\\\\\"win\\\\\\\"?
Sony Playstation 3
Microsoft XBox 360

PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: [Poll] Sony PS3 vs Microsoft XBox 360 - christmas 2007 Which will "win"?
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 19:58:18
#581 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

I already said this. IMO the PS3 holds the most potential for AmigaOS4.x, it's very powerful hardware and IMO a lot cooler than many people want to portray it to be.

The platform is multi-functional and if this platform would at some point also function as a PPC Amiga platform this would really make my day. I believe the PS3 will have the best games next year, a powerful Linux OS offering some crucial software, great hardware features, etc. Everything I would like an Amiga to be in 2007.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 20:05:36
#582 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I already said this. IMO the PS3 holds the most potential for AmigaOS4.x,
Being AOS4.0 was recently released and they said more hardware is coming in 07 if we don't see the PS3 on the list in 07 I'm highly doubtful you'll ever see it.

I think you'll have to be satisfied with UAE within Linux on your PS3.

treqie 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 20:35:58
#583 ]

Sony PS3 vs Microsoft XBox 360 - christmas 2007 Which will "win"?

Last time I checked, there are three players in the industry. And this christmas, I don't think either 360 or PS3 "won".

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 20:44:14
#584 ]

Ernest Adams:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061222/adams_01.shtml

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 20:57:11
#585 ]
Elite Member

@treqie

Quote:
Last time I checked, there are three players in the industry. And this christmas, I don't think either 360 or PS3 "won".

There are 3 players and undoubtably the winner this Christmas was the Nintendo DS Lite.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 21:54:48
#586 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

And of the non-handheld consoles most likely the Nintendo Wii and overall for the year the Playstation 2.

Hammer 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 22:47:15
#587 ]
Elite Member

@treqie

According to
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/27/nintendo_wii_sales

In nextgen non-handheld consoles,
1. XBOX 360,
2. Wii
3. PS3.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 23:31:32
#588 ]
Elite Member

I am not the only one who doesn't miss rumble. Only as a machine gun it's kind of cool for me, but more often I thought it was annoying. IMO even 'Gears of War' uses it a bit too much so it becomes distracting, the shooting 'rumble' is nice though.

I was suprized a majority replied 'no' to the following question: "PS3 owners - Are you missing Rumble yet?"

Examples:

- "overall, as far as basic feedback stuff, I'm not missing it. If you really miss feeling the explosions in Resistance, I suggest you get a sound system with a subwoofer"
-"So far ... not really."
- "Not really. Not in Resistance and not in Gran Turismo HD concept. Playing Motorstorm w/ tilt Motorstorm is pretty awesome, though!"
- "It feels funny jumping on the road in GT HD and not having any rumble but honestly, I don't really miss it. I do have Rumble on the 360 but I don't really notice it either."
- "No, and it saves me from having to go in and turn it off every time I start a game"
- "Surprisingly, no."
- "I don't like sexual vibrations on my hands"
- "Not at all. It's kind of a non-issue."
- "Miss rumble? Nope. Not in the slightest. I always found the feature more annoying than useful so I say good riddance to rumble. It's a battery sucking nuisance."
- "rumble is so overhyped. I have been playing pc games for years without any force feedback and I really didn't miss it all."
- "force feedback is hard to play without once you've experienced it.. rumble? thats just a buzzing in your controller"
- "Maybe I am not the best person to opiniate on it since I feel rumble is more of a distraction than an immersive feature but yeah I easily forget about it not being there."
- "I think rumble on my mouse would have a negative effect on my FPS PC gaming."
- "Not at all. It seems like rumble is a nice feature to have when you have it but you don't notice it when you don't. I was playing GT HD and I didn't miss it at all."
- "I thought I would, but it honestly hasn't mattered to me at all. Even when playing Resistance, I don't even think about it, which is weird because first-person shooting is what I loved the most about rumble."
- "Why do I look at my hands when my controller rumbles? Same reason someone would turn around if they are tapped in the shoulder. It's a distraction to the game you are concentrating on. If you expect it, then by definition you are not immersed in the game."
- "never cared for rumble. always turned it off. overrated. won't be missed. good riddance etc..."

So, at least I am not alone.

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 0:05:54
#589 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

Sometimes, it gives you information you cannot receive from the screen or soundsystem in a non-obstructive way, like, for instance, having one tire burst in a racing game, usually, you get vibrations from that side of the controller.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 0:13:52
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:

You're not even alone on here.

A couple of friends of mine (who are platform agnostic and buy all new consoles as they come out) tried out a PS3 and they sorely missed it in several games, though.

In Ridge Racer 7 it was hard to feel when you were getting too close to the edge of the road and consequently you could crash unless you played it safe. They said it was pretty but sterile and did little to differentiate itself to previous offerings.

In Resistance FoM one of them was annoyed about the lack of rumble while the other was more concerned about whether it will be able to differentiate itself on the FPS market. They summed it up as a capable FPS with mid-range graphics which may find a life extension through the online component.

They generally thought Formula One was nice, but neither one of them cared much about the genre as such.

In Motorstorm one of them really missed the rumble function while the other didn't care. They weren't entirely sure about what to think about it yet, but look forward to getting a closer look at a later date.

Lair was pretty good in the air and while airborne the tilt controls worked really well, but control on the ground was clumsy and the game seems "disappointingly generic".

Now, bear in mind that these guys have all Sony platforms so far (as well as most other recent machines) and one of them is always willing to meet you blade to blade if you dare criticize his beloved PlayStation in a discussion. He's been a gamer for more than 27 years btw.

They're optimistic about the machine's eventual potential but neither one of them is particularly blown away by any of the launch titles.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 0:34:09
#591 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
They summed it up as a capable FPS with mid-range graphics which may find a life extension through the online component.

Resistance is quite a large game, the start may be a bit easy and not that much is going on, but when you get deeper into the game you notice more and more nice things and the game starts to set itself apart from the other FPS games out there.

Lair and Motorstorm are on my top 5 wishlist, I think the finished versions will be well polished for the European launch. I expect people to be blown away by Killzone...

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 1:13:06
#592 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Regarding the GTHD demo:

Nice touch, look at the spectators in the side view mirror!

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2686/photo122706001wl5.jpg

Camera man:

http://generationdreamteam.free.fr/imagesjeux/gtferrariblue1.jpg

Better quality TV shots:

Replays (BTW, you can fastfoward them at 60 FPS):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Dazzyman/GT%20HD%20inside/GT%20replays/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Dazzyman/GT%20HD%20inside/GT%20replays/000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Dazzyman/GT%20HD%20inside/GT%20replays/t1.jpg

First person gameplay:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Dazzyman/GT%20HD%20inside/9.jpg

3rd person gameplay:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/Dazzyman/GT%20HD%20inside/12A.jpg

Looks tons better than GT4 IMO.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 1:34:39
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Nice touch, look at the spectators in the side view mirror!

Good ol' PGR 3 had several layers of rendering going on at once. Inside the car you'd see reflections from above and behind the car (including opponents' headlights behind you), shadows from the car itself on the car, rear view mirror as well as side mirrors (depending on the car model of course), damage on external mirrors if you hit the walls and all that.

Quote:
Looks tons better than GT4 IMO.

It looks better for sure. It's just not *really* impressive. I went to check out more screenshots at IGN today and it just smells a whole lot like PS2 - especially in the texture and jaggies department.

It's a nice little snack while waiting for GT5, which I suspect will blow GT HD clear out of the water (it better!).

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 4:19:23
#594 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
And of the non-handheld consoles most likely the Nintendo Wii and overall for the year the Playstation 2.
The question appears to be next generation as such the PS2, last gen, is out of the running.

The 360 had all year and is approaching 10M. Clearly the Wii has shipped less consoles this year and the PS3 even less.

Next year will prove interesting in sales. Will the PS3 sell 1M/month for every month? Can Sony produce that many? They'll need to, to overtake the 360. The PS2 does but the price point of the PS3 is 4x as much. It'll be interesting to see if users will bite at the same rate of the PS2. I doubt it, but am willing to be surprised.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 4:29:08
#595 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Something to mention, I hear the X-Box 360 is getting a new cooler CPU very soon that should prevent failures..

360 Gets a new Cooler CPU

Also Microsoft just extended the warranty of current 360's to a YEAR of free repair..

I got this email from them:

Xbox 360(tm) brings you top quality customer service

Effective December 22, 2006, the Xbox 360 console warranty has been
extended to one year from the date of purchase. The extended warranty
applies to new customers and existing Xbox 360 owners. If you experience
hardware issues with your Xbox 360 console within one year of purchase,
your console will be repaired at no cost*.

Now, that's a holiday gift, indeed. Play with confidence and enjoy the
best of next generation gaming. Celebrate the holiday season with a
catalog of over 160 high-definition games, the freedom of wireless
accessories, and the online entertainment you can experience with your
friends on Xbox Live(r).

Now that was a nice Holiday Gift!

-Don

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 9:11:10
#596 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Good ol' PGR 3 had several layers of rendering going on at once. Inside the car you'd see reflections from

Some reactions from people who played both:

- "EVERYTHING casts shadows on and in the car (not just rear mirror but any edge that comes out more than a couple of inces ). It's self-shadowing hell."
- "pgr3 comes no where near this demo. please stop it"
- "This ####s all over PGR3. The even compare them two is insulting to Grand Turismo."
- "PGR3, at 1024x600/30fps, shouldn't be compared to GTHD's 1920x1080/60fps output. Or even the replays @ 1080p/30fps. If the game truly looks like that screen with the red F599... sheeeit."
- "Theres no comparison to be made - and even at that insane resolution/framerate GT:HD still trumps PGR3 visually."

Regarding damage, Yamauchi-san plans for real-time damage models to feature in Gran Turismo 5, not only visual damage but a model that affects the performance of your vehicle realistically.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 9:21:21
#597 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
The question appears to be next generation as such the PS2, last gen, is out of the running.

No, my question regarded only XBox 360 vs PS3 for next year's christmas.

@ Trezzer

Quote:
Resistance is quite a large game, the start may be a bit easy and not that much is going on, but when you get deeper into the game you notice more and more nice things and the game starts to set itself apart from the other FPS games out there.

"Initially, this game felt like Call of Duty, but as I progressed through the game, I found that there was substantially more. The game plays it by the numbers in many ways but its very polished and fun. The multiplayer will keep you occupied for months. Any PS3 owner will do themselves a disservice by not picking up this game."

http://www.411mania.com/games/reviews/48976

Last edited by MikeB on 29-Dec-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 12:34:35
# ]

@MikeB

Funny quotes. But just that: funny.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 13:57:29
#599 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

Quote:
Something to mention, I hear the X-Box 360 is getting a new cooler CPU very soon that should prevent failures..
Xbox360 failures are much down from the issues the first shipment experienced. Not to say there hasn't been issues but they've been much improved. The 1 year warranty is nice -- in addition if anyone has paid to have their 360 repaired they are refunding your money. No need to contact them they're using the database of payments to write refund checks from. Very nice indeed.

As for the new 65nm CPU it is coming. Digitimes is reporting Q1 07 with consoles on the shelves close to the end of the first half of 07. Undoubtably many current console owners will buy them. This will mean some first gen console availability on Ebay . This will give people who'd like the console but can't justify $400 for any gaming machine.

I'm hoping, likely against the odds, that next summer/fall a HD-DVD included in a single unit will come with the 65nm processor. If they were going to do such a beast it'd make good sense to make all the changes at once.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Dec-2006 14:20:54
# ]

@BrianK

Quote:
Xbox360 failures are much down from the issues the first shipment experienced. Not to say there hasn't been issues but they've been much improved. T

Heh, yeah. My first one actually died. I had it for a week and it had the three red lights of death. I went to the store, got a brand new 360 and we just swapped the drive. Actually I got to keep all of the extra stuff so I got two controllers, extra set of video cables etc. - a game was stuck in there that I'd bought second hand somewhere else, and they gave me a brand new copy of it. Now that's good customer service

My 360 total downtime was around 2 hours including testing and the drive back and forth.

Here the warranty extension doesn't really matter much, since we automatically have 2 years of warranty against manufacturing faults.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle