Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  5 mins ago
 saimon69:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Gnu 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 21:27:25
#21 ]

@MikeB
This link may have been posted before. It's an interesting compilation of PS3 troubles.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543&page=0

Regards

Gnu

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 21:54:18
#22 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

"The new version, due to be available at European PS3 launch on March 23, will include two new maps based on new environments, a new character and a number of exclusive co-operative challenges.

"Because the solo campaign already forms a whole, we thought it was more relevant to focus on the multiplayer additional content," producer Mathieu Hector explained, in an interview with Eurogamer.

The title is also expected to make use of the controller's tilt functionality."

Lou 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 22:04:38
#23 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

ROTFLMAO!

You quote me the limited availability of an online branch of a store that specializes in brick and mortar sales then contradict it with a poll that say almost 2/3 stores have plenty in stock.

You live in the Netherlands.
I live in the US.

I can walk into the Walmart down the street and buy one NOW and since the week before Christams when I bought 2 and resold them because some people still perceive they were unavailable.

Ask any American on this forum if they can go out and come home with a PS3 this very night provided they could pay for it.

Infact, Paypal gameparts@josephbiron.com $824USD and I'll have a 60GB version shipped to your doorstep by the middle of next week. Ad $80 per game, I got a mortgage to pay.

Fransexy 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 22:26:01
#24 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@MikeB

Wii rocks!!

Nintendo is more like the Amiga, takes the best with less powerful hardware, it focuses in fun and innovate instead of being the top of the range powerful tech at the cost of the fun like $ony and Micro$oft

Oh, it seems you have changed your opinion about the merits and the "Amiga-ness" of the PS3 then.

Oops! how you controlled me even the first comment that you linked, I not remember it already

Tigger 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 22:41:32
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

Just my prediction. No flames. You'll see them on the shelves like the rest of the world (NTSC) is seeing them.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but as far as I can tell there isnt a single one in town available for sale. Best Buy's new units the first week in January were gone in 30 minutes. There may be some sitting on shelves somewhere, but I havent seen any here. The Wii on the other hand I could have bought at Best Buy last week and I think Target still had some of them when I was there yesterday. Now part of that is there are more Wii's shipping. But if you really have seen PS3s on a shelf at a store, I think you are in the minority.
-Tig

hatschi 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 22:43:25
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
Oops! how you controlled me even the first comment that you linked, I not remember it already

Secret agent hatschi is observing you. So better watch yourself.

Hehe...

Lou 
Posted on 25-Jan-2007 22:50:15
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

For a small fee, I will ship you one.

Also, Wii's are still selling on Ebay for $65 over retail so, I'd pick those up with a quickness unless you are the type that wouldn't pick up a $20 bill off the ground with no one around to claim it.

Last edited by Lou on 25-Jan-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 0:35:10
#28 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Ask any American on this forum if they can go out and come home with a PS3 this very night provided they could pay for it.

So ? And what's so bad about it ? You can do that with a 360 as well. Might not sell well, then.

I bought mine at BestBuy. And I checked the stock. True, there were some available, and didn't sell thru within days. Guess it took them a week or so.

I sure agree that at this price point it is tough. But OTHO to sell with a new product - with not a lot launch titles - is also an achievement, even though I believe Sony's expectations are to high.

Who cares. If you look at the lineup for 2007, that's pretty impressive. As an addition you have the full PS2 product range. I bought ATV 4 before Christmas, all PS2 emu troubles seem to be fixed. What now ? So I scrap my old library ?

BTW, you quoted several states have PS3s in stock. I take it, you travel a lot, since you report directly, don't you ?

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 0:39:05
#29 ]
Elite Member

PS3s are still selling, I know Future Shop has increased their price 40 Canadian dollars for the 60GB model and still managed to sell 20 online during the last 2 and a half hours. If shops aren't selling, maybe it's not their marketing priority.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 12:51 AM.

vision 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 1:59:04
#30 ]

@all

http://www.vgcharts.org

PS3 is NOT selling as expected. This is happening right now. This is the real truth, and not other stories and tales.

It will not be a flop in the future: IT IS ALREADY A FLOP.

PS3 is NOT an Amiga and will never be.

This kind of posts and polls should not be here and repeating again and again. They are only allowed because the poster is a member of the AW team. Any other user following the same attitude would be considered sick, and the posts, deleted.

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 3:25:11
#31 ]
Cult Member

@vision

Whatever, vision. See, we are both happy then. Me, because I have one, and you, because you don't. Works for me.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

jiyong 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 4:09:15
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

You are making a very wrong assumption here.

Yes, I lived in the Netherlands a month ago (actually, I still have a house there), but currently I live on Manhattan. OK, I'm too lazy to update my profile, but I might be gone in another 5 months.

Oh, and before you claim I'm making this up, please check here: NY

For me it isn't easy to walk out and buy a PS3. So far I wouldn't have been able to. Perhaps I missed a shop here and there, but if the PS3 really was selling so bad, why is it that the count wasn't 100%? And where in the article did it say that 58% had PLENTY in stock? It only said 58% had at least one. That's it, don't turn the article into your own fantasy. That means that more than 1/3 was sold out, or never had one. All I was trying to do was to put the claims that the PS3 is piling up in stores into perspective. But I guess I was too subtle for you.

You read things the way you want to. There was nothing contradicting about the store stock percentage. Why would I pay $824 for just a PS3? OK, I don't have a mortgage to pay, but this is plain silly. Let's face it, when Best Buy and Amazon aren't shipping them for $599, it's not that easy for ALL AMERICANS to get a PS3 at a normal price and I would like to include foreigners on Manhattan.

And who is contradicting himself here? You say you resold a couple of PS3's, because you think some other AMERICANS only perceived it was unavailable. Perhaps you need to think again. And you have read the post from Tigger (who is in the US), so you are the one that needs to retract his claim.

Last edited by jiyong on 26-Jan-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Last edited by jiyong on 26-Jan-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Last edited by jiyong on 26-Jan-2007 at 04:28 AM.

mwoof 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 6:10:43
#33 ]

Playstation is supposed to be a games console, why turn it to a computer?

Maybe Sony wants to be the new MicroInsult...

I'll insist on PS2 myself. Its price has already drooped a lot, and same goes for the games...

Also it doesn't demand a High Definition screen to make the best of it! I'm not that obsessed with quality anyway.

AmigaOne G3-SE, OS4 Final (July 2007 update), Debian Sarge, 512 MB RAM, 20 + 80 GB hard disks, NEC 3540 DVD writer, LG DVD reader, Radeon 9250, SB Live, Intracom Netfaster router, PCI USB card (NEC - OHCI/EHCI)

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 9:04:46
#34 ]
Elite Member

PS3 sales figures 'not good'

PS3 sales dropping in Japan

PlayStation 3 sales tanking in Japan?

Possibly because there are no games for PS3 and some game projects are behind schedule:

thus far few PS3 exclusives are on the horizon for 2007 seems troubling, with the prospect of a new Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid or Gran Turismo slipping into 2008 as potentially crimping hardware sales.

Source: Analyst: Lagging PS3 Sales 'Troubling'

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 10:02:28
#35 ]
Elite Member

@itix

The sales are going better and worse than some may have hoped for, the US press are known for overly negative PS3 reporting. Despite a higher price tag and still only one game available considered to be a "must-have" system seller the PS3 is probably ahead compared to the XBox 360 comparing the same period of availability in the US, in Japan they are clearly far ahead of total sales already.

IMO there needs to be more 60GB in stock for the US and Canada to properly meet demand. There seems to be little interest in the cheaper 20 GB model. Even total outsiders know that sales will be slower after the holiday season and launch window, at least until more unique "must have" titles are available. We know there are enough of them planned fo the PS3.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 10:05 AM.

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 10:43:18
#36 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

The sales are going better and worse than some may have hoped for, the US press are known for overly negative PS3 reporting. Despite a higher price tag and only one fame available considered to be a "must-have" system seller the PS3 is probably ahead compared to the XBox 360 comparing the same period of availability in the US, in Japan they are far ahead of total sales already.

Who cares about XBox 360? Wii is the best selling console in Japan.

Flawless Victory For Nintendo Consoles In Japanese Charts (15. January 2007)

Wii Tops Software And Hardware Charts In Japan (19. January 2007)

Nintendo DS has not been the best selling console of the week - with improved supply allowing the Wii to succeed it with a total of 93,708 units sold. By comparison the PlayStation 3 saw a sharp drop off in sales to 25,531 units, despite anecdotal evidence suggesting little or no supply problems.

Quote:

IMO there needs to be more 60GB stock available in the US to meet demand. There seems to be little interest in the cheaper 20 GB model. Even total outsiders know that sales will be slower after the holiday season and launch window, at least until more unique titles are available.

Maybe Sony rushed PS3 out too early. They have a product but no games.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:16:27
#37 ]
Elite Member

Some of you just like to live in denial.

It's not that the PS3 is not selling...it's that it's not selling anywhere near the levels that the Sony hype machine expected it to.

You 2 see through rose-tinted glasses.

You know, I can walk into a random NEW car dealership that sells Pontiacs and ask for a Solstice, but 8 out of 10 of them probably won't have it on the lot. The 2 that doe probably have atleast 2 because they focus more on bling bling. When Sony says they shipped a million and the NPD says they sold 650K - that means you can find them sitting on the shelves easily. If store X doesn't have them, store Y probably will.

Also, the US is the biggest market in the world for Sony. If they has 1,000,000 here and sold 650k and they launch in Europe with 1,000,000 untis, how many do you think they will sell?

Let me re-iterate:

My prediction 350k followed by the trickle like Japan. For Christ's sake they can't even sell out in there home territory.

Here's why:
1) price
2) no distinction that makes it more compelling than a much cheaper 360
3) no game catalog that put it leaps and bounds ahead of 360's and the continue to lose exclusitivity
4) motion controls at a loss of rumble are sub-par to the Wii's controls

Also, AROS could see a PS3 release before OS4. The only reason Sony "allows" linux to be installed is because they won't lose any software revenue from that as the linux market's software generally produces no revenue anyway. It would get hacked eventually as it is. And the REAL REASON - TO AVOID PAYING TAXES in Europe as a game machine because "computer" imports pay less tax.

Anyway, since AROS is free, there would be no reason to block it. OS4 is a commercial product and you can bet they would want there cut is someone was to profit from it.

You may now return to wonderland.

vision 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:26:16
#38 ]

@Jorge

Yeah, sure!

If you are happy, why are you both so desesperate to talk about the subject AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN... ?

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:28:42
#39 ]
Cult Member

I think that the nintendo Wii is the winner in the new launched consoles. Also it has innovation and fun, reason why i bought mine whet it was available. now i'm enjoying zelda a lot!

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:29:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
They have a product but no games.

Well no games that get me excited anyway I was really looking forward to Warhawk (Sixaxis tilt control, cool war on air and land, etc). However it's delayed now and seems to have hit some development problems

Warhawk Not Cancelled

Smeg!!

Bit sick of generic 1st person shooters! Black on PS2 rocks though

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle