Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 danwood:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 33 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 Lou:  5 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Lou 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:36:55
#41 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

The word on other sites is that Warhawk, like GTHD is going to be a smaller (than originally planned) downloadable game, but not free, just not the major title it was originally positioned as.

There are rumors of Sony's internal development teams squabbling and people getting fired and having a new team take over and just getting it out the door in the form I mentioned above.

...but you didn't hear that from me, infact, I never wrote it...

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:53:18
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
not the major title it was originally positioned as.

Rubbish! No decent Sixaxis enabled games for launch. What do early adopters get - overinflated prices, Blu-Ray (can't afford new HDTV what's the point) & a controller without rumble and tilt not used. It's really worth the wait! NOT!!

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2007 at 12:55 PM.

spudmiga 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 12:59:39
#43 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@MikeB

Wii rocks!!

Nintendo is more like the Amiga, takes the best with less powerful hardware, it focuses in fun and innovate instead of being the top of the range powerful tech at the cost of the fun like $ony and Micro$oft

You have hit the nail right on the head there, I also feel Apple is more like Amiga in that respect compared to the Compaq's and Dell's of this world, I find Apple/OS X more fun, just like Amiga.

It is strange, I also felt this away about a mobile. I recently purchased a Sony Ericsson K800i, when it was top of the range (still is high-end), but I didn't find it fun. So I eventually sold it and opted for the LG Chocolate. Not as powerful, but tons more fun and nice and easy to use.

Night Operations

A1200 020/28MHz + 64Mb / 4Gb CF / OS 3.1.4.1 / 1438S
A500+ / 2Mb
A600

tbrminsanity 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 13:12:59
#44 ]

I think the PS3 will sell worldwide because of certain features:
1. For the Sony game fans out there: It plays all the PS games and is the logical next step in the PS line.
2. For movie fans: It is the cheapest Blueray player on the market (by 50-100 pounds).
3. For Open Source fans: With Linux as the standard OS and the ability to play kick @$$ games on the system, the PS3 is the ultimate Linux games machine. All you need to do is get an extra external HD, a USB hub, and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Now that being said I don't think the PS3 will beat the Wii in overall sales as Nintendo has produced their best games machine yet, a combination of good enough graphics (even if they are last gen level) and amazing game play (something that has been lacking from games for a long time) has propelled them into the #1 position of next gen game systems.

The XBox360 will have its following (mainly in the games department) and I think the Games for Windows initiative will help boost sales in the Xbox line but I think in the end the XBox will lose out in the next gen battle and be reserved as a niche market only.

Palm 3.5.3
Computers:
Cymru

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 13:14:40
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Earthling

Some slight flaws here I feel:

Quote:
Nintendo is more like the Amiga, takes the best with less powerful hardware

The Amiga 500 was the most powerful home computer for its cost when released in 1987.

Quote:
Apple is more like Amiga in that respect compared to the Compaq's and Dell's of this world,

Apple although fun is over-priced and over hyped for what you actually get.

The Amiga filled a niche requirement of being cutting edge, easy to use & affordable. I really don't think there is any modern equivalent

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 13:20:48
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Also, the US is the biggest market in the world for Sony. If they has 1,000,000

They shipped and sold 1 million units to North American retail in 2006, but that doesn't mean they were all on the shelves and not all within the United States.

Quote:
NPD says they sold 650K

780,500 for North America in 2006 of which 687,700 in the US (the XBox 360 sold around 607,343 for the equivalent period in the US and 674,500 for North America as a whole, Microsoft shipped 900K X360s to North America in 2005).

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 01:34 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 13:49:19
#47 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Warhawk Not Cancelled

David Jaffe of God of War fame:

"Guys (gals?), just be aware that MANY MANY MANY games- including 90% of the ones I have worked on- go thru growing pains. It's called the creative process. Sometimes those pains are so bad that you don't think you can go on (GOD OF WAR, in my case), sometimes they are not that bad. BUT just because you hear about a game that is (or WAS) struggling thru the process, doesn't mean ANYTHING. That is the process for much of the time. Hell, they KILLED the first draft of HALF LIFE and started again...how many times did they push back ZELDA (which ZELDA? Hell, how about MOST of them)...you REALLY think it was to 'give the game more polish and give gamers the game the deserve'? Well sure it was, but you also never stopped to think that the extra time was needed because the game didn't sail thru the dev. process like butter in the first place?

So just because some disgruntled ex-worker- who thought the game should have been made HIS way- is now getting his 15 minutes by spouting off to some news source, does not mean he is bringing any meat to the table in terms of valid information. It may be TRUE information in terms of a game having been down a tough road, but again- that is par for the course."

In a follow up post, Jaffe stated: "I think you guys will be happy when you play the game in question tho. Very happy.

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 13:59:44
#48 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

780,500 for North America in 2006 of which 687,700 in the US (the XBox 360 sold around 607,343 for the equivalent period in the US and 674,500 for North America as a whole, Microsoft shipped 900K X360s to North America in 2005).

As for empirical sales data for PlayStation 3 and Wii, the current North American statistics are the NPD charts for December, which revealed that the severely supply-constricted PlayStation 3 was found to have sold through 490,700 units for the period, with 687,300 units sold since its launch in November.

However, the Wii had sold 604,200 units for the month, putting its total North American number sold at 1.1 million units. Thus far, it's unclear whether the PS3 bottleneck has cleared, flooding more machines into the market than can be swiftly picked up by consumers, or whether the PS3 is simply less desired - a situation which will only be canonically explained by the January NPD results in early February.

Looks like Wii is winning. Source: Analyst: PS3 Readily Available, Wii Still Sold Out?

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:06:50
#49 ]
Elite Member

@vision

Maybe some food for thought, with regard to the statistical figures:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197000753

"Microsoft Cuts Xbox 360 Shipment Forecast

Microsoft cut its fiscal 2007 forecast for Xbox 360 video game console shipments, citing unsold inventories in stores."

Like I stated before, it is estimated that well over 1 and a half million XBox 360s of the 10.4 Million units shipped by Microsoft are still left unsold at retail. The XBox 360 did amazingly well in the US and UK, but not elsewhere in the world.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:28:25
#50 ]
Elite Member

@itix

IMO the PS3 did about as well as expected. The Nintendo Wii did a bit worse than I and certain analysts hoped for in the US for 2006. I view the Nintendo Wii as less than a direct competitor than the XBox 360. The Nintendo Wii introduced a new type of controller which isn't well suited for all types of games, albeit amazingly well suited for others. The console costs less than half of the popular 600 dollar PS3 model, they seem to aim at a different type of gamer (like PSP vs NDS), which IMO should be applauded and some want to own both types if they can afford this.

Regarding Nintendo for 2006:

"The company held firm to its previous forecast for consolidated worldwide shipments of 6 million Wii hardware systems by the end of the fiscal year. Nintendo manufactured 4 million Wii systems by the end of 2006 and during that time sold and delivered 3.19 million to its distributors and retail customers around the world."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/01/nintendo_financ.html

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 02:30 PM.

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:30:47
#51 ]
Elite Member

Seems Wii is the winner in Europe too.

Wii is Fastest Selling Console in UK Chart History

Word comes from Nintendo this morning telling SPOnG that Wii is the first HOME console in ChartTrack's history to sell over 100,000 units over the UK launch weekend, having shifted an impressive 105,000 units in the since Wii-E day on Friday.

Microsoft previously held the record for launch weekend sales, with 70,000 Xbox 360's being sold over the launch weekend this time last year.

And here is what Nintendo PR department says:

Wii also took Europe by storm when it launched on 8th December 2006 and became the fastest selling games console in European history after its first weekend. In a matter of days Wii was totally sold out across the continent. Since launch Nintendo has been continually shipping more stock to retail outlets to meet unprecedented demand from both gamers and non-gamers alike. Despite selling out faster than it could be restocked, over 700,000 Wii consoles were snapped up across Europe in December 2006.

Quoted from Europe: Nintendo Sells 1.7 Million DS's & 700k Wii's during December

While it is just press release (read: an advertisement) from a company things are looking good for Nintendo.

itix 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:46:40
#52 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

IMO the PS3 did about as well as expected. The Nintendo Wii did a bit worse than I and certain analysts hoped for in the US for 2006.

Did a bit worse than hoped? Well, they still won PS3 by good margin. Wii won PS3 in Japan and North America and in Europe where PS3 is not even available yet.

Quote:

The console costs less than half of the popular 600 dollar PS3 model, they seem to aim at a different type of gamer (like PSP vs NDS), which IMO should be applauded and some want to own both types if they can afford this.

Europeans tend to have less money to spend than crowd in North America or Japan and unless Sony does massive price cuts I dont see the future for PS3.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:49:06
#53 ]
Elite Member

@tbrminsanity

for #1, those Sony games are quickly dropping Sony exclusivity, soon Sony's platform will look like the Gamecube where you only bought it to play Nintendo 1st party games.

for #2, Standalone blue-ray players will come down in price quickly where as the PS3 will not, per Sony's own words

for #3, the PC is still a better option than a non-upgradeable system that will probably never have full access to the hardware for COMMERCIAL reasons imposed by Sony. It's a linux "toy" box in the long run. I can already build an Opteron-based PC with more power for less money.

As for 360 & Wii...I've read that the Wii's Hollywood gpu runs interanlly at 487.5 MHz, which is 3x faster than the GC's Flipper, whether it has more features than Nintendo has delivered to developers is a mystery, however, I believe the possibility exits the Wii to get patched (via system update) to allow for higher resolutions. Nintendo also improves the kit it gives to 3rd parties over time and that is generally why their games always seem to have a bit of an advantage over 3rd party software. That said, I can also see MS including motion sensing controllers (like Sony) that ALSO RUMBLE in a couple of years with the current 360 system.

So the footrace is going to be quite an interesting marathon, imho.

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:57:35
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I dont see them selling $65 over retail anymore. Several went for under $300 last night, so thats not going to make me much (any?) money buying at $250 + tax + Ebay fee + Paypal fee. I'd be better off working an hour of overtime, thats makes more money and is less hassle.
-Tig

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 14:58:52
#55 ]
Elite Member

Some interesting news from Beyond3D, as of a late January update to the SDK, horizontal scaling is now an option for developers, if developers wish games can now be patched for those who experienced scaling problems (few 1080i-only HDTVs lacking 720p support, thus defaulting to 480p).

Ripping off the veil: The mysterious PS3 hardware scaler exposed
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/

IMO the PS3 seems to be maturing quickly, I am looking forward to the European system software update!

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 15:22:22
#56 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
modern equivalent

Is there not ? "Designed as a gaming machine but evolved into a media centric general purpose computer" ? Doesn't sound familiar ?

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 15:46:21
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
"Designed as a gaming machine but evolved into a media centric general purpose computer" ? Doesn't sound familiar ?

If you mean the PS3 then all I have to say is "lets not count the chickens before they hatch." Yes its got media/computer elements, but if it'll ever have Open Office/Scala type presentation software/Programming tools which are usuable on the PS3 Linux surely is not 100% certain. Plus its not been marketed as a computer at all!

herewegoagain 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 15:47:19
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

Just my prediction. No flames. You'll see them on the shelves like the rest of the world (NTSC) is seeing them.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but as far as I can tell there isnt a single one in town available for sale. Best Buy's new units the first week in January were gone in 30 minutes. There may be some sitting on shelves somewhere, but I havent seen any here. The Wii on the other hand I could have bought at Best Buy last week and I think Target still had some of them when I was there yesterday. Now part of that is there are more Wii's shipping. But if you really have seen PS3s on a shelf at a store, I think you are in the minority.
-Tig

I agree. I have been to every Walmart, Game Stop, Target, and any other store that sells video game consoles and all have been sold out both before and after Christmas. I started checking from the launch date on. It was not until about two weeks ago that I saw the first PS3 available on the store shelf at Walmart. They had 3. And then you cannot just buy the unit, you have to purchase a bundle with two games and extra controller. Maybe that's why we couldn't find them down here, they sent all of them up north and they aren't buying them.

Fransexy 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 15:57:00
#59 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Jorge

Quote:
"Designed as a gaming machine but evolved into a media centric general purpose computer" ? Doesn't sound familiar ?

If you mean the PS3 then all I have to say is "lets not count the chickens before they hatch." Yes its got media/computer elements, but if it'll ever have Open Office/Scala type presentation software/Programming tools which are usuable on the PS3 Linux surely is not 100% certain. Plus its not been marketed as a computer at all!

I think that Sony has wanted to take the idea and spirit of the Amiga but has not known implement it

Last edited by Fransexy on 26-Jan-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 15:58:48
#60 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
but if it'll ever have Open Office/Scala type presentation software/Programming tools which are usuable on the PS3 Linux surely is not 100% certain.

Says who ? OO 2.x (incl. Impress) and Eclipse 3.1 (incl CELL SDK and JAVA runtime/sdk - I have yet to take a closer look at CDT) is part of YDL5/PS3. Both work fine. BTW: "The Gimp", too.

(you know, I tried that out).

Last edited by Jorge on 26-Jan-2007 at 04:00 PM.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle