Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 65 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  21 mins ago
 RobertB:  31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  40 mins ago
 Lou:  40 mins ago
 michalsc:  47 mins ago
 matthey:  49 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Dave73:  2 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Some new announcements required
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: Some new announcements required
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 17:42:22
#41 ]
Elite Member

@stew

Quote:
Thanks for clairifing the the "bury everthing" part. I didn't want you be part of a coverup and loose all of your credability.

Thank you for the implied trust

Quote:
Why not put this news on the front page of every Amiga news forum? It is the best news to hit in a long time.

I guess the developers (rightly) want to do their job and their business without external interference and to avoid the mess and the pressure the AAA/AAS/ASS can cause

saimo

Profile     Report this post  
saimo 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 17:45:22
#42 ]
Elite Member

@stew

Quote:
Instead of being so critical how about a proper translation that is accurate and professionl. Either you should step up or shut up! False hopes seem to all there has been for awhile.

You misunderstood elwood's intentions. He did what he could, i.e. tried to correct a mistake without spreading further news, obeying the request by the developers themselves.
As for a translation, a good one came out later anyway, and it's the one reported above.

saimo

Hans 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 17:47:14
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Yabba

Quote:

Yabba wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
What surprises me is that ExecSG needed to be recompiled. I thought that with the exception of using altivec, PowerPC code should run on all PowerPC variants. Or at least, PowerPC code for older processors should run on the newer ones without a problem.

User level code, ie all apps, most os components etc. yes. But things like cache controllers, mmu etc. are different. These parts have to be ported. Not a huge task, but it still has to be done.

rgds,
Stefan

Ah right, because cache controllers, MMU, etc. are not part of the core processor specification.

Hans

jorkany 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:00:36
#44 ]
Cult Member

@Hans
Quote:

What surprises me is that ExecSG needed to be recompiled. I thought that with the exception of using altivec, PowerPC code should run on all PowerPC variants. Or at least, PowerPC code for older processors should run on the newer ones without a problem.

Given the problems with the AmigaOne, it's very likely there is machine specific code in ExecSG. Or, maybe there are optimizations they wished to take advantage of. We'll never know.

Yabba 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:02:04
#45 ]

@Hans

Quote:
Ah right, because cache controllers, MMU, etc. are not part of the core processor specification.

Correct. Or should I say, part of the common PPC standard. (It has a fancy name which I have forgotten)

The same goes for the 68k series CPU where interrupt stacks etc. looked different between different architectures. But user level code still looked the same or had extensions that didn't affect older programs.

rgds
Stefan

ironfist 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:45:01
#46 ]
Cult Member

Yabba:
I think you mean the CHRP and PReP standards?

stew 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:47:07
#47 ]

@saimo

"obeying the request by the developers themselves."

The developers put the news out on a very public forum that discusses all sorts of OSes and don't want the word to get out? OK I guess I am lost on that point. My apologies to elwood.

from the thread translation "a good one came out later":
"I know how much it took to run ExecSG on Moana, and I had the sources and help from the two clones"

Can the Friedens give sources and help to the other hardware developers that don't yet have a license?

All this is very exciting but without an answer to the ownership question I see disappointment on the horizon yet again. I hate to be pessimistic but the Amiga history leads to this. In a perfect world someone with money (that all in the Amiga community respects) would step up and produce a functional upto date hardware, with a reasonable price, obtain license from all parties with ownership, pay for porting, and get the developers paid.
Sounds like a miracle is needed.

Hans 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 19:31:24
#48 ]
Elite Member

@stew

Quote:

stew wrote:
from the thread translation "a good one came out later":
"I know how much it took to run ExecSG on Moana, and I had the sources and help from the two clones"

Can the Friedens give sources and help to the other hardware developers that don't yet have a license?

I have no idea what the situation is, but I know that Adam (from ACK Controls) is an OS4 developer and hence probably has access to the ExecSG code. The guy responsible for getting ExecSG to run on the Moana test board could also be a developer that already has access. The help was probably in response to questions sent by email. I doubt that the Friedens would go round giving the sources to everyone that asked.

Hans

saimo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 1:01:02
#49 ]
Elite Member

@stew

Quote:
The developers put the news out on a very public forum that discusses all sorts of OSes and don't want the word to get out? OK I guess I am lost on that point.

Yes, it sounds weird, but that's what happened.
In fact, when Andrea Vallinotto made that statement my immediate reaction was: "Andrea!!! Ma ti rendi conto di quanto hai appena detto? Sei autorizzato? Possiamo diffondere? " = "Andrea!!! Do you realize [how serious is] what you have just said? Are you authorized [to say that]? Can we spread [the news]?"

Quote:

Andrea Vallinotto is not Mr Anybody and ACube is not Anycompany, Inc.
Andrea Vallinotto is an AOS4 developer (heh, his name even pops up at boot time, as he is responsible for the Second Level Bootloader) and ACube has contacts with AInc as regards AOS4 licenses (although, as of today, there is no license for Moana).

Quote:
All this is very exciting but without an answer to the ownership question I see disappointment on the horizon yet again.

My advice: don't bother guessing about the ownership matter. Only (maybe outdated) fragments of information have hit the news, so every reasoning about it, as smart as it can be, boils down to speculation.

saimo

saimo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 1:02:04
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
The guy responsible for getting ExecSG to run on the Moana test board could also be a developer that already has access.

Yes, he is (see my previous post).

saimo

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 10:44:01
#51 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist
Thanks for the accurate translation. This is a moderately big news! Even if it was an accidental leak. It at least means that the Samantha board isn't (completely) non-functional, compared to the speculation about ACK's & Troika's efforts. As to how long it'll take them to produce a completely functional Samantha and/or fully port OS4...

hatschi 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:04:40
#52 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

I think you mean "Moana", not "Samantha".

ironfist 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:18:30
#53 ]
Cult Member

ChrisH:
Yes! These are news of enormous value to the Amiga Community!

Leo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:29:48
#54 ]

Quote:

(although, as of today, there is no license for Moana).

Ok, so... BBRV speaks of making OS4 run on the Efika and is "evil"...
Now someone says he has ported OS4 on a new board without the required licence and there's no one to complain ?
Where is the objectivity ?

Insanity 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:39:28
#55 ]

@Leo

Nobody has ported os4 to anything.

A developer in cooperation with the Friedens (as I understood it), has made ExecSG run on the moana as a proof of concept mainly.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

adiaux 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:45:57
#56 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

(although, as of today, there is no license for Moana).

It's not only talk. They can do it, and I think they will (provided that what I write below works out).

Quote:
Now someone says he has ported OS4 on a new board without the required licence and there's no one to complain ?

Good question!

And while the porting process itself sure has similarities on both motherboards, there are one major thing that may differ after the porting is done - the ability to distribute and run OS4 for the hardware in a *legal* fashion. Acube would need a license (which I think they will not get, given the current state of affairs), but Genesi will handle that problem in a different way.

saimo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:14:03
#57 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Thanks for the accurate translation.

Just a little correction: credit goes to guruman, an Italian iksnet user.

Quote:
This is a moderately big news! Even if it was an accidental leak. It at least means that the Samantha board isn't (completely) non-functional, compared to the speculation about ACK's & Troika's efforts. As to how long it'll take them to produce a completely functional Samantha and/or fully port OS4...

As hatschi pointed out, you may be mistaking Samantha for Moana.
If you are not, well then it should be made clear that the leaked news does not give any information as regards SAM. At most it proves that ACube is capable of designing and producing a board good enough to run ExecSG on, which, on its turn, indicates that they should be capable of producing a fully functional board on which AOS4 can run. In practice, this indirectly gives hope as for the SAM board too.

saimo

saimo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:37:12
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Leo & takemehomegrandma

Quote:
Quote:
Good question!

Now, if you can't see the difference between this case and Genesi's case, you are either blind, or want to be blind, or have an agenda of your own.
The fact that:

leaves little doubt about whether you two are interested in the answer. It is rather obvious indeed, that you purpose is spreading FUD, cause troubles and defend Genesi (especially as regards takemehomegrandma, who openly and continuosly shows his worship of Genesi).

saimo

Edit: Fixed broken link

Last edited by Moxee on 28-Jan-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 28-Jan-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:50:41
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:

No one says they have ported OS4 to new hardware. An OS4 developer has ported ExegSG (which belongs to the Frieden brothers) to proposed hardware from a company that Amiga Inc are willing to work with.

The Owner/s of Genesi, a company which doesn't want to do business with Amiga Inc (we don't know Ainc's side of the story), has proposed an illegal hack in order to get OS4 working on their hardware in order to by-pass negotiations and licences with Amiga Inc and Hyperion.

If you can't see the difference then I'm sorry for you.

saimo 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:52:45
#60 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
And while the porting process itself sure has similarities on both motherboards, there are one major thing that may differ after the porting is done - the ability to distribute and run OS4 for the hardware in a *legal* fashion. Acube would need a license (which I think they will not get, given the current state of affairs), but Genesi will handle that problem in a different way.

Which, put in clear words, means "Genesi does not license to distribute AOS4 legally". This is on par with BBRV statements, and makes you just as arrogant, unrespectful and liar.
Do you want to start another thread like this? Surely it seems so. And, anyway, to me it is clear that you have no consideration whatsoever of what people, with patience and resoned explanations, tell you. Please stop polluting these forums with propaganda.

saimo

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle