Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

thinkchip

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 thinkchip:  2 secs ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 graff:  13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  23 mins ago
 Gunnar:  36 mins ago
 utri007:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Poll : Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Amiga Inc
Hyperion

PosterThread
mbilla 
Re: [Poll] Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:31:36
#41 ]

@all

Who is Amiga Inc?

So I voted for Hyperion!

Actually without them my A1 would run Linux

and your PDAs and laptops ...
Psion 5mx Pro - Psion NetBook - Apple iPhone - MacBook Pro

Profile     Report this post  
Jeffshepherd 
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:41:52
#42 ]

@AmigaBlitter

The only option I would vote for is 'Both' as we need a dose of common sense in this dispute.

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:46:38
#43 ]
Elite Member

@mbilla

I wrote on my ballot "FSF"

Darth_X 
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:49:17
#44 ]
Elite Member

I voted for Amigainc to win the lawsuit.. eh, what was the question?

AlexC 
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:53:30
#45 ]

No vote from me, there's no side to take on something like that.

The fact is that we need both companies for the Amiga platform to continue to exist and grow. (at least until someone else buys AInc. AND does things better)

If AInc wins the lawsuit, the few parts of the OS that they'd be legally entitled to wouldn't suffice to boot any HW, and if they lose the lawsuit, Hyperion still wouldn't be able to legally sell the OS as AInc would make sure no HW gets a license.

Conclusion, they HAVE to work it out, settle out of court, or there's little hope left for the future.

And the best way we can help is by encouraging both sides to cooperate rather than wedge our preference in the middle...

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

nzv58l 
Posted on 11-May-2007 21:01:34
#46 ]

@linnar

Quote:
Is it a crime to have no money?

I don't have as much as they do, and I still bought an A1 when I had the chance.

It doesn't cost much to stay in touch with the community these days. Also, it doesn't make it right to swindle just because you can' t afford to do what is right. Seems also funny that all of a sudden they have loads of money for lawyers fees when they couldn' t even acknowledge the existence of OS4 on their web site. They also couldn't even liscense some hardware to run OS4 on even though they would actulally make money off of this. Instead, while Windows is busy fragmenting their OS with so many flavors of their OS, we are sitting on courts that never move quickly with anything. Why all of a sudden is there interest in OS4 since they have never been interested in it before. They were always too busy promoting their Windows application (Amiga Dead End) to be bothered with us who want a complete desktop to get away from the need for Windows.

I equate their actions as sticking a big knife in the back of Hyperion, not the other way around as they would have you believe. Had AInc cared, they could have helped OS4 by liscensing Hardware for it. Instead they did not allow Hyperion to make any money off of the sale of OS4 which was supposed to be the intention of the contract. In one way, it is too bad that Hyperion did not read the fine print, but on the other hand, at least we have something tangable (OS4) which we would never have had if they would have avoided the trap set for them by the vultures.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 11-May-2007 21:47:11
#47 ]
Team Member

@nzv58l

Quote:

nzv58l wrote:

It doesn't cost much to stay in touch with the community these days. Also, it doesn't make it right to swindle just because you can' t afford to do what is right. Seems also funny that all of a sudden they have loads of money for lawyers fees when they couldn' t even acknowledge the existence of OS4 on their web site.

Not to mention the millions for the Amiga Center in Kent, WA. Which probably makes the lawyer fees look like chump change.

Hell why are they not just buying Hyperion out lock, stock, and barrell with all this money?

Quote:

I equate their actions as sticking a big knife in the back of Hyperion, not the other way around as they would have you believe. Had AInc cared, they could have helped OS4 by liscensing Hardware for it.

Exactly, what it so hard about coming to an agreement with Acube to license SAM? The community wants it, and its better to make some money rather than none, let alone the lost money for lawyers.

I think we make a critical mistake as a community trying to apply reason to the actions of Amiga, Inc. Do we know that the people running things are sane, reasonable people? Simply put, no we don't. In fact if anything I think things point to where we should assume they aren't, at least if they are seeking to engage our very extremely limited market legitimately.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 11-May-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Amiga 1200

debrun 
Posted on 11-May-2007 23:22:19
#48 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Voted: Hyperion (or anybody else that can move faster than a crippled snail)
-------->So I guess my Official Vote is: OTHER

I'M READY FOR REGIME CHANGE, or product-no bull-right NOW! Tired of the games...

Live: Amongst the great PEOPLE of the United States of America (fark the politicians).

Last edited by debrun on 11-May-2007 at 11:26 PM.

debrun 
Posted on 11-May-2007 23:33:54
#49 ]

@nzv58l

Quote:
Seems also funny that all of a sudden they have loads of money for lawyers fees when they couldn' t even acknowledge the existence of OS4 on their web site.

Sigh... we'll find out if this all BS soon enough I suppose.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 12-May-2007 0:37:14
#50 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

1 - Sudden Money= Investors. They make the world go around. As a startup, when you have them, things go well, when you don't you can't do diddly.

2 - Giving Licenses for OS4. Why should they? Hyperion did not comply with what they were contracted to do. Should Amiga just say "Oh well, that's okay. Here, we'll just give whoever a license and let you keep the OS code that we paid you for, but you are refusing to return".

3 - About no interest in OS4. Clearly if you have read the court documents where they have been trying to get the code back ever since paying the buy back money, you would see that they DID have interest in it. Not speaking about it in public when they had problems with Hyperion does not mean they didn't have a plan for it, nor does it make Amiga "bad" for not producing or giving us anything. According to the documents filed, Hyperion have in essence been holding the OS4 code hostage for a higher ransom, and I cannot believe how many of you are rushing to their defense. I guess it would be different if you were the legal owner of the Amiga IP and it was your money that Hyperion had taken without returning what they agreed to.

4 - About fine print. So how do we know what Hyperion read and what they didn't? And how can you say it was a trap? It was a contract drawn up with very clear definitions of what was to be completed, and under what terms the code was to be returned. How is that a trap?! I can't believe some of the reasoning people are using to support Hyperion.

Let me ask you this, (and we'll use the auto shop again). If you took your car to the shop and asked for a tuneup. Paid the amount that was due, then the mechanic told you:

"We saw that you needed new brakes, so we installed them. We put in a new transmission, gave you new interiors and sent it to the paint shop next door for a new paint job. You owe the shop next door for that. Oh, and by the way, we've installed locks on the hood, trunk and wheels and we'll be keeping the keys so that we can do the maintenance for you. Now, you can get your auto back as soon as we've been paid for all of the services rendered. If not, then we'll keep your car and drive it ourself."

I bet you and others wouldn't be feeling so liberal with who was right and who was wrong then.

I'm not claiming either side, but with the evidence presented so far, I have a really hard time understanding anyone pledging undying love for Hyperion.

wolfe 
Posted on 12-May-2007 0:48:59
#51 ]

No vote from me . . .

I want the Amiga community to come together, and voting on this is like voting a split. Both sides have made mistakes in reguards to the contract.

I want the Amiga to survive . . .

This mess defies common sense. So, my guess would be their is no future. Well, not until I can buy a new AMIGA anyway.

For now, its dead . . .

utri007 
Posted on 12-May-2007 0:53:16
#52 ]

This is idiocrazy

NathanH 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:06:59
#53 ]

@alx

Exactly my opinion. Let them work it out. I want no more schisms so
did/will not vote.

Nathan

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:07:07
#54 ]
Team Member

@herewegoagain

Quote:

herewegoagain wrote:

2 - Giving Licenses for OS4. Why should they? Hyperion did not comply with what they were contracted to do. Should Amiga just say "Oh well, that's okay. Here, we'll just give whoever a license and let you keep the OS code that we paid you for, but you are refusing to return".

3 - About no interest in OS4. Clearly if you have read the court documents where they have been trying to get the code back ever since paying the buy back money, you would see that they DID have interest in it. Not speaking about it in public when they had problems with Hyperion does not mean they didn't have a plan for it, nor does it make Amiga "bad" for not producing or giving us anything. According to the documents filed, Hyperion have in essence been holding the OS4 code hostage for a higher ransom, and I cannot believe how many of you are rushing to their defense. I guess it would be different if you were the legal owner of the Amiga IP and it was your money that Hyperion had taken without returning what they agreed to.

Lets start with #3. Interest in it for what the community wants is quite possibly a different reason than why Amiga wants it. Them fighting for the code does not mean they are fighting in our interests to produce product that we can buy. Again, applying logic to what Amiga does is probably a mistake. If anything their history proves that we should not try to explain their actions with logic.

As for #2, if they really want to sell the desktop OS they should license somebody. Problem is its not necessarily obvious they want to sell OS4 to anyone. And how hard can it really be to negotiate for a product for a userbase of max, a couple of thousand users worldwide. We aren't talking big money here.

Quote:

I'm not claiming either side, but with the evidence presented so far, I have a really hard time understanding anyone pledging undying love for Hyperion.

With not all the evidence in why side with anyone then?

That aside even if Hyperion looks like they are not totally in the right (which I am not sure on) there are going to be people who still will like them more since they actually made a product we care about. People spout about Microsoft sucking, they can say the same about Amiga if they like. Loyalty is going to be based at least in part on the perception of what either party has done for the community.

Amiga 1200

firbodi 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:16:41
#55 ]

@herewegoagain

Quote:

Let me ask you this, (and we'll use the auto shop again). If you took your car to the shop and asked for a tuneup. Paid the amount that was due, then the mechanic told you:

"We saw that you needed new brakes, so we installed them. We put in a new transmission, gave you new interiors and sent it to the paint shop next door for a new paint job. You owe the shop next door for that. Oh, and by the way, we've installed locks on the hood, trunk and wheels and we'll be keeping the keys so that we can do the maintenance for you. Now, you can get your auto back as soon as we've been paid for all of the services rendered. If not, then we'll keep your car and drive it ourself."

I bet you and others wouldn't be feeling so liberal with who was right and who was wrong then.

If I had given away my car thinking it was impossible to get it running anyways, and after a while saw how good it looked with upgrades and repairs, would have I been right to pay a dime and want my car back?

Firbodi

Last edited by firbodi on 12-May-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Smurfen 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:26:51
#56 ]

@AmigaBlitter

I think you left out one option, both!

Naz 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:27:51
#57 ]

@AmigaBlitter

today as today, Amiga Inc. They have the power, IP, trademarks, .....

I live in Europe ;)

Zardoz 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:31:42
#58 ]
Team Member

@nzv58l

Quote:
I equate their actions as sticking a big knife in the back of Hyperion, not the other way around as they would have you believe. Had AInc cared, they could have helped OS4 by liscensing Hardware for it. Instead they did not allow Hyperion to make any money off of the sale of OS4 which was supposed to be the intention of the contract. In one way, it is too bad that Hyperion did not read the fine print, but on the other hand, at least we have something tangable (OS4) which we would never have had if they would have avoided the trap set for them by the vultures.

I hardly believe that Ben Hermans would trap himself, since he'd co-written the contract. Basically, what I think has happened was that the contract was signed thinking that Amiga Inc. would go under and Hyperion would be left with the OS. That's not quite what happened.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-May-2007 1:38:14
#59 ]

Quote:
The blind love for hyperion is sickening and rather pathetic when it looks like they are infact the baddies trying to steal Amiga Inc`s property.
Quote:
but its ok to steal from Amiga Inc as they have done to others?.

So I guess the question is did Hyperion use/need any of the previous sources to make AOS4? AOS4 is 100% PPC now correct? So, is it at least a fact that there are no binaries from previous versions of AmigaOS in it correct?

So is AOS4 just a "rewrite" like AROS in peoples minds or something else?

Amiga Inc certainly had nothing to do with the programing so what is it that people think Hyerpion stole from then? I'm interested in calm and reasoned responses, not flames. But, what did they steal? It's such a strange situation to me.

I voted Hyperion BTW...

Smurfen 
Posted on 12-May-2007 2:02:33
#60 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
So I guess the question is did Hyperion use/need any of the previous sources to make AOS4?

-Ofcourse
Quote:
AOS4 is 100% PPC now correct?

-No
Quote:
So, is it at least a fact that there are no binaries from previous versions of AmigaOS in it correct?

-No
Quote:
So is AOS4 just a "rewrite" like AROS in peoples minds or something else?

-No, AROS is a reengineering of the OS API, while OS4 is a continuation of OS3.
Quote:
Amiga Inc certainly had nothing to do with the programing so what is it that people think Hyerpion stole from then?

IP rights and the OS that AmigaInc contracted developement to Hyperion for.

Calm and reason.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle