Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 65 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  23 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  26 mins ago
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  50 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 portarinos:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  I wrote this 10 years ago, still a valid point?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
eniacfoa 
Re: I wrote this 10 years ago, still a valid point?
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 17:29:01
#21 ]

@BrandonLee

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:
@ChrisH

To add to that, the Linux threat makes it even more risky for MS to make such an aggressive move.

is linux really a big threat? there has been plenty of development time and its not even near being as user friendly as win/osx.

and it will never compete unless it is.

http://ozconspiracyhouse.myfastforum.org

Profile     Report this post  
BrandonLee 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 17:53:17
#22 ]

@eniacfoa

Maybe not a BIG threat, but a threat nonetheless, especially if Windows tries to go a different way with their OS (ie bypassing backwards compatibility).
I don't think they will do it, though. It's "easier" to keep adding stuff, bulking up the OS and taking advantage of faster hardware to cover it up.

Microsoft has too big a share of the market to worry about really improving its OS, not just in terms of features, but particularly in terms of streamlining it, making it lighter.

I'm not a Windows user, so my opinions will most probably be far from reality, but that is my view on the MS OSes I've came across over the years.

Tigger 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 19:11:09
#23 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

This was 10 years ago, I used an A1200 with a Blizzard 68030/50mhz 8mb of ram and a 120 mb harddrive, compared AOS 3.0 with Windows 95 on the pc's with Pentium cpu's.

Is this still a valid point today, 10 years later?
Most of todays programs on the pc-side would not even fit on that 120 mb harddrive.

In 1995 I wrote a rather infamous article. Lightwave 4.0 had been announced and shipped in May for windows, I sold one of my Amiga 4000 toaster systems for $4000 and bought a P100 with 32MB of memory and a 17 " moniter and paid almost $800 for lightwave for the PC. It was almost an even swap, and though I hated losing one of my amigas, it was probably the best computer deal I ever did. Lightwave ran 10X faster on the P100 then on my 25Mhz 68040 A4000, and that gorgeous 17 monitor was so much better then the 1950. At that point, writing the article about Lightwave running on Windows, I realized that how fast I could format a floppy and how much better Amiga multitasked wasnt going to win. Because something that the computer spent days doing was 10X faster on the windows system (and was over 11X faster on the 120Mhz that just came out), my current laptop runs that benchmark over 2000x faster then the 68040 Amiga while I'm surfing the internet wireless, its hard to say the Amiga does it better when the amiga does it that much slower.
-Tig

simplex 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 19:45:33
#24 ]
Cult Member

@eniacfoa

Linux is a big enough threat that Microsoft has been spreading FUD about it for years. Latley they've even put their managers to work writing "security blogs" that are supposed to reveal how much more dangerous it is to run Linux than Microsoft. These things work in the real world of IT morons^H^H^H^H^H^H^H er, managers.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Dec-2007 10:12:30
#25 ]
Elite Member

@eniacfoa Quote:
is linux really a big threat? there has been plenty of development time and its not even near being as user friendly as win/osx.

I'm not so sure that is true any more - Ubuntu makes Linux pretty friendly IMHO, and actually easier in some ways. Sure some of the prefs programs are lacking, but most users never even look at that (unlike us), and those will surely be fixed eventually - especially if they copy Mandriva's good prefs programs.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle