Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 amigang:  18 mins ago
 surgeped:  18 mins ago
 sarakonomi:  18 mins ago
 jap:  18 mins ago
 Ande:  18 mins ago
 Framiga:  18 mins ago
 striggs:  18 mins ago
 Schlissel:  18 mins ago
 mattson62:  18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Community Hardware Specification
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
wegster 
Re: Amiga Community Hardware Specification
Posted on 23-Jan-2008 22:41:59
#41 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@Pleng

Quote:
ATA can be added via expresscard, as can USB, ethernet, firewire. But expresscards are very expensive compared to PCI-Express equivalents.

That, and you probably only get to choose one of these, looking at laptops in the stores today. That would also make it awkward to get SATA wires up to an internal HDD and CD drive on a laptop. Basically I'd go but a laptop, throw out the motherboard, put in a PPC motherboard that was made to the same shape and connectors palcement, so all the laptop shell items like keyboard, touchpad, HDD, CD, etc. fit and work as they did with the original motherboard. And I'd want everything to fit in the laptop, not carry around a suitcase full of dongles to plug on the outside, that really ruins the whole purpose of a laptop/notebook computer. If the only thing inside is the CPU and memory, then it's not a good laptop.

I know you REALLY want to see a laptop board, and I'd love to see one as well, but really, what hope is there for that? Short of a port to an existing (aging Mac power/I-books) laptop, who is making a laptop sized board? Those things are seriously built to fit the casing more times than not, at least looking at the last few I've taken apart- oddly shaped, and they fit a lot of components, leading to a higher layer board, while Olegil wants a lower layer count PCB.

Maybe at some point, a small enough SoC based system might be able to be stripped and put into a laptop case (LimePC-like, maybe?) but I'm just not seeing this as a likelihood, even disregarding the 'ownership/legal issues' with OS4...sadly.

Profile     Report this post  
billt 
Posted on 23-Jan-2008 22:52:44
#42 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

I've got an idea as to how. I lack time, motivation, assistance and of course money. No, a new PPC laptop is not likely these days, I'm just sharing some of the specs I'd go for if I was building something. I'd happily support a port to an iBook. I like my iBook quite a bit. It'd be great to see OS4 on it.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jan-2008 22:55:22
#43 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Yeah, a port to my iBook would be ideal! Good call

AliveMOon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2008 16:53:02
#44 ]

Would like?

Last edited by AliveMOon on 24-Jan-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Things I want to buy:
An accelerator card for my A2000

Samwel 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 0:04:06
#45 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I agree with you as a whole. But aren't some parts "not desirable" to have on PCI
cards? I mean 133MB/s (teoretically) shared with all PCI slots. It can slow down the
system.

Graphics & sound, of course on external cards. Onboard graphics & sound sucks
anyway. Gbit network, USB2 & SATA however would be better onboard. Aren't most
of these features on southbridges anyway?
Also all legacy stuff could be removed. Who needs parallel, PS2 and serial today?
Well I guess some still use serial, but there are ways of getting this without having
a legacy port/chip.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

AliveMOon 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 9:19:33
#46 ]

@Samwel

I started it recently PCIe to the search of documentations and to his examination, the essence of his that the physical layer is a serial contaction with big velocity, the units than they would be sovereign machines. According to me to modeling, MiniMig I catch it basis to have bought and try an a network like that to develop what is multi-channel dual simplex contaction they communicate.

But I am skilled at the programming if somebody else could publish an so cell.
If there are not many bones in the meat! You are me first afterwards according to me I accomplish it.

Last edited by AliveMOon on 25-Jan-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 25-Jan-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Things I want to buy:
An accelerator card for my A2000

damocles 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 10:00:26
#47 ]

@Sneaky

Quote:
u forgot the "it has to be cheaper than for free"-attitude that always pops up when products get done in reality and prices surface.u forgot the "it has to be cheaper than for free"-attitude that always pops up when products get done in reality and prices surface.

Everything is compared to x86 bulkware and if its not cheaper everybody cries "Ripoff! Don't buy it. They steal your money and eat your kids!" as seen on the MiniMig Threads when ACubes prices were announced.

Everything is compared to x86 bulkware and if its not cheaper everybody cries "Ripoff! Don't buy it. They steal your money and eat your kids!" as seen on the MiniMig Threads when ACubes prices were announced.

Your forgetting what made Amiga sales, it was bang:buck ratio. $500 for a A500 vs nothing really close on the PC end in either capability or price. What didn't sell very well was the big box Amigas, because it was too expensive. Same laws of economics come into play yet again regardless if your like it or not.

Quote:
I don't understand people with this atitude. If you want cheap HW go buy PCs. Who could imagine people in a Ferrari Fan Forum ranting about Ferarris being to expensive?
It's so rediculous

Except for your money, your not getting a Ferarri your getting a Scion. That is what your asking people to do, pay a huge premium price for something that should be on the bottom of the pricing scale that isn't. I'm sure Acube would love to be able to use scale of economics, but they can't because the market is not there for it. I hope they sell out of their production run, but I have a ugly feeling they won't because of the pricing.

Dammy

damocles 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 10:17:12
#48 ]

@newlight

Quote:
As for the Hardware the best choice for me is PowerPC because is better than x86 and keep the machines as Amigas.

Except there was never a PPC Amiga, regardless of what Eyetech told you about the rebadged Teron mobos. Unless your going to go with a fully custom (even C= didn't go with customized CPU) gfx, snd, nic, south/north bridge chipsets with coldfire as the CPU, your not going to reproduce an Amiga. Your best bet is go Minimg and be happy. If you want modern hardware, your going to be forced into using industry produced hardware to stay with in pricing levels. No one is going to spend tens of millions of dollards to produce custom hardware for Amiga because the OS and applications are far too out of date for a few thousand buyers. Sad but oh so true.

Dammy

olegil 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 11:17:07
#49 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

The market for the PCI+PCIe riser I was designing was the µA1, which cannot use a graphics card in the PCI slot

@codesmith

Who said anything about PCI-X? I didn't?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 11:18:56
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Earthling

Ì need someone to write a driver for a USB floppy drive based on a PC floppy drive and an AVR USB microcontroller, handling all the Paula stuff in software.

A USB Catweasel, if you will. But I can't write device drivers, I'm only good on the AVR side...

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 11:22:08
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

You don't understand. No matter how many things you solder onto the motherboard, they are still connected to the same PCI bus as if they were a plug-in card. Soldering something doesn't change the bus type.

If your CPU has 2 PCI ports (like the 8349E), one would go to graphics and the rest to everything else. Soldered or socketed, no difference for the driver or the performance. Unless some nitwit plugs a non-66MHz card into a 66MHz bus, but then it's the user being an idiot, which can be cured with cyanide capsules

Samwel 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 11:34:46
#52 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Yeah I know those smaller "crappy" SoC's have smaller amount of PCI ports..
But a modern PCI handler has enough PCI ports to have each unit on its own port.
Atleast the most demanding devices. Thus not slowing down anything.

Do you mean doing a PPC970 board with only a northbridge and alot of PCI(e) sockets?
Completely bare board with no netword, firewire, sound or USB?
That could work.. Wasn't that what Adam was supposed to do a while back?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Pleng 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 12:49:00
#53 ]

@damocles

Quote:

Your forgetting what made Amiga sales, it was bang:buck ratio. $500 for a A500 vs nothing really close on the PC end in either capability or price.

The Amiga 500 was generally bought as a games machine where it would have been competing against Sega Megadrives and Super Nintendos.

The Amiga was the most expensive but best specced of the lot, giving it desirability.

It was more of a rich kids toy.

damocles 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 13:00:18
#54 ]

@Pleng

Quote:
The Amiga 500 was generally bought as a games machine where it would have been competing against Sega Megadrives and Super Nintendos.

No doubt it was a very nice game machine that could be expanded far beyond what C= had intended. Yet it was still cheaper then buying a under performing PC. I remember a friend of my brother buying a $95 gaming audio card that made some aweful sound vs the A500's stereo.

Quote:
The Amiga was the most expensive but best specced of the lot, giving it desirability.

Hrm, no. A500s were still cheaper then the nasty Tandy PCs at Radio S@$% plus it didn't have Windows. Now the A2K were indeed expensive and that is the reason why A500 (and later A1200) sold in the millions vs tens of thousands like the big boxes.

Last edited by damocles on 25-Jan-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Pleng 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 14:28:57
#55 ]

Quote:

Quote:

Hrm, no. A500s were still cheaper then the nasty Tandy PCs at Radio S@$% plus it didn't have Windows.

@damocles

What a system CAN be used for and what it is GENERALLY bought for are not always the same thing.

You said that the Amiga 500 sold because it was better than PCs and cheaper, whereas my argument is that it was generally purchased as a GAMES machine and therefore was much more expensive than the competition

damocles 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 14:35:46
#56 ]

@Pleng

Quote:
What a system CAN be used for and what it is GENERALLY bought for are not always the same thing.What a system CAN be used for and what it is GENERALLY bought for are not always the same thing.

You said that the Amiga 500 sold because it was better than PCs and cheaper, whereas my argument is that it was generally purchased as a GAMES machine and therefore was much more expensive than the competition

So where does that leave expensive odd ball hardware that is certainly far behind the current tech curve? If the hardware is needed for a specific need, that's fine and dandy, but for general desktop...

adiaux 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 16:03:29
#57 ]

@AliveMOon

I would combine a Freescale MPC8610 with a ULI M1575:

From the CPU:

• Up to 1333MHz G4 core with Altivec
  • DDR/DDR2 SDRAM Memory Controller with ECC (up to 533 MHz/1066 DDR)
  • Integrated graphics, SXGA 1280 x 1024 resolution @ 24bpp
  • Two PCI Express® Interfaces
    - one with 1x/2x/4x/8x lanes for optionally connecting a GFX card (8 lanes routed to a standard 16 lane slot) for those not happy with the integrated graphics
    - the other one routed to the ULI southbridge
  • "Traditional" PCI 2.2 Interface at 32-bits and 66 MHz
  • etc, etc...

From the ULI M1575:
  • 4x SATA-II, 3Gbps (RAID)
  • 2x PATA (also RAID)
  • 8x USB ports (2x USB2 and 6x USB1.1 if I read things correctly)
  • 1x 10/100 Mb/s Fast Ethernet
  • HD Audio
  • etc, etc...

I would put it on a Micro-ATX form factor motherboard and call it "Pegasos 2.5" or something similary catchy! It would essentially be a Pegasos 2 but with improved performance and specs (tightly integrated on-chip controllers, DDR1066, USB2, SATA-II, better audio, the AGP slot replaced with a x16 PCI-Express slot, etc).

It would also be possible to drop the slots and make very tiny, custom shaped motherboards out of this two-chip solution, possibly even smaller than the Efika. I'm thinking in the line of Lime PC kind of products, or a laptop, or whatever.

Interesting 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 16:10:20
#58 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@olegil

Quote:
The market for the PCI+PCIe riser I was designing was the µA1, which cannot use a graphics card in the PCI slot

that's a long lasting bug that you might try and fix. I if you believe in your project then don't give up on it.

Interesting 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 16:14:18
#59 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Samwel

Quote:
Do you mean doing a PPC970 board with only a northbridge and alot of PCI(e) sockets?
That could work.. Wasn't that what Adam was supposed to do a while back?

could be, but I thought Ack had a PA-Semi board ready?

olegil 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 16:27:34
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

I believe in my project, I just don't believe in the µA1

And none of the other mini-ITX "amigas" have surfaced, so...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle