Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  OlafS25,  OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  55 secs ago
 BigD:  3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 mins ago
 Lou:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 Jose:  41 mins ago
 zipper:  43 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Community Hardware Specification
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Interesting 
Re: Amiga Community Hardware Specification
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 16:28:50
#61 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
It would also be possible to drop the slots and make very tiny, custom shaped motherboards out of this two-chip solution, possibly even smaller than the Efika. I'm thinking in the line of Lime PC kind of products, or a laptop, or whatever.

now take your meds before you go off half-cocked with excitement grandma

the CPU of the LimePC still has bugs, and issues to be worked out. I'm sure you read Freescale Design News: TMHG. . The MPC5121 is still being developed similar to the process of the MPC8313E PowerQUICC II Pro Integrated Host Processor Device Errata, pdf

As for your interest in the MPC 8610, thats also a new product. Many in the Amiga community will tell you that Freescale runs late on "new Product".

so take your meds grandma,

Last edited by Interesting on 26-Jan-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
kgrach 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 22:14:19
#62 ]
Cult Member

@All

X86 idea is dead and dumb you can't make money programing on the PC. Just look at the PC game sales to put to bed any ideas on that. GAMES OF THE YEAR ON THE PC SELL UNDER 100,000 copies . The only games that sell in the millions are subscription based games where piracy can't exist and those sell into the millions. standalone programs are pirated to death. That was proved beyond all shadows of a doubt this year.

The only people who want OS4 X86 would not purchase OS4 just pirate it so all that massive work would only result in a few OS sales. Same goes for Peg boards I have yet to see any MOS systems that don't contain some stolen software. Yea grandma will say they were stolen by commodore so they don't count as stolen. How that makes any sense is beyond me.

PS3 sales would be viable as it is a stable platform and has plenty of antiPiracy measures implemented. So a reasonable amount of copies of OS4 can be sold paying for any porting costs and even some profit might be had.

A PCI based PPC expansion board would be reasonable as cost would be low.
it could be marketed as an PPC board for the classics and therefore OS4 for classic could be ported and sold with it. As a PCI based expansion PCI backplanes could be purchased a so new standalone system could be made in a standard ATX or BTX case.

That right now would be best as you could sell it without a new license since it is already covered under the existing agreements. So who ever if ever wins the court case sales could continue from now till then and beyond.

kgrach

wegster 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:03:23
#63 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@Interesting

I believe in my project, I just don't believe in the µA1

And none of the other mini-ITX "amigas" have surfaced, so...

Thanks for the response RE: the PCIE bridge. I thought someone had said you'd had it working.

And yeah, I can understand 'not believing in the u-A1,' but it would have made some owners quite happy. Did you determine anything probable regarding the issue with the micro's PCI slot and GFX cards?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:21:37
#64 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
@codesmith

Who said anything about PCI-X? I didn't?

http://olegil.amigaos.se/970_floorplan.jpg

Picture, thousand words, blah blah

Hammer 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:24:42
#65 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/digital-distribution-virtual-item-sales-key-to-online-game-market-growth/70475/?biz=1

"Worldwide online game revenue is expected to increase from $4.5 billion in 2006 to $13.1 billion in 2012, a 192% increase. The PC is the leading platform for online game revenue"
PC MMOG is basically killing normal PC games.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:35:37
#66 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Except there was never a PPC Amiga, regardless of what Eyetech told you about the rebadged Teron mobos. Unless your going to go with a fully custom (even C= didn't go with customized CPU) gfx, snd, nic, south/north bridge chipsets with coldfire as the CPU, your not going to reproduce an Amiga.

Thing is, no-one does fully custom any more - even if someone were nutty enough to buy a semiconductor firm and have it crank out GPUs and northbridges exclusively to fit on new Amigas, they'd still get their butts handed to them in terms of performance and price by Intel, AMD and Nvidia. The last one to do anything even close to this was Apple with their exclusive deal for PPC Northbridge chips from IBM, and now they're just using Intel's off the shelf parts.

By your measure, even if Jack Tramiel got out of retirement and hired the entire set of ex-CBM engineers to produce a computer, it still wouldn't be an Amiga - because those engineers are smart enough to realize that custom silicon just isn't competitive for desktop computers in 2008.

Also, what's the deal with needing coldfire? That's like saying that unless it's got propellers, it's not a real airplane...

Last edited by CodeSmith on 25-Jan-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Last edited by CodeSmith on 25-Jan-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Manu 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:42:22
#67 ]

@kgrach

Quote:

kgrach wrote:
@All

The only people who want OS4 X86 would not purchase OS4 just pirate it so all that massive work would only result in a few OS sales.

And the only people who want OS4 to stay on PPC is those that want to keep it for them selves among a chosen group of followers.

See I can generalize too.

PS. Not that I want OS4 on x86 not anymore. For me OS4 doesn't exist.
It's not within reach, plain and simple. Yes, you can buy it and put it on the bookshelf
but that's about it.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 23:48:00
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Actually, those who were saying that AmigaOS on x86 would just get pirated have been proved to be on the right track by the popularity of the OSX86 project, and the number of copies of "fixed" OSX that I've seen on BitTorrent and eMule. Of course, it's not *proof* that AmigaOS would have been "fixed" to run on any beige box, but given how quickly it happened to OSX, it's quite reasonable to assume the same thing would have happened to OS4.

Hammer 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 1:01:07
#69 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

MacAir uses Penryn's SFF package but with Merom core.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3201&p=2

Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jan-2008 at 01:03 AM.

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 1:20:44
#70 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
The only people who want OS4 X86 would not purchase OS4 just pirate it so all that massive work would only result in a few OS sales.

That's ok, if OS4 comes out for miniMacs, it'll just get pirated as well.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 2:27:28
#71 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

That's just custom packaging. The CPU die is still the off-the-shelf part.

wegster 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 2:55:39
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
It would also be possible to drop the slots and make very tiny, custom shaped motherboards out of this two-chip solution, possibly even smaller than the Efika. I'm thinking in the line of Lime PC kind of products, or a laptop, or whatever.

the CPU of the LimePC still has bugs, and issues to be worked out. I'm sure you read Freescale Design News: Volume 8, Issue 3.
MPC8313E PowerQUICC II Pro Integrated Host Processor Device Errata, pdf

As for your interest in the MPC 8610, thats also a new product. Many in the Amiga community will tell you that Freescale runs late on "new Product".

Play nice, lest we discuss other non-delivering products. Seriously, that wasn't really called for.

olegil 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 2:55:50
#73 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

That was based on the design of the 970 eval board, and it quickly grew into a "must be the hottest desktop AND the best server AND be cheap AND have every feature ever concieved soldered on AND must be done yesterday kinda specification. Which is why I told the other guys to stuff it and went back to my own project...

Me personally, I would like to ditch everything except PCIe, GbE, serial port (for debugging), Flash and RAM. Everything else can be placed in PCIe ports.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 3:25:27
#74 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I see

I agree with you about keeping the board simple, but why not take advantage of anything else a SoC might offer? (or is that what you mean, keep only the devices on the SoC?)

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 4:43:07
#75 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:
Thing is, no-one does fully custom any more - even if someone were nutty enough to buy a semiconductor firm and have it crank out GPUs and northbridges exclusively to fit on new Amigas, they'd still get their butts handed to them in terms of performance and price by Intel, AMD and Nvidia. The last one to do anything even close to this was Apple with their exclusive deal for PPC Northbridge chips from IBM, and now they're just using Intel's off the shelf parts.

Oh, in the REAL world, I completely agree with you 100%. Hardware is a commodity, useful in a given arch for a specific purpose. There are places where ARM would be best, some would be PPC and x86/x86_64.

Quote:
By your measure, even if Jack Tramiel got out of retirement and hired the entire set of ex-CBM engineers to produce a computer, it still wouldn't be an Amiga - because those engineers are smart enough to realize that custom silicon just isn't competitive for desktop computers in 2008.

Correct, Amiga was hardware:software combination that made it so impressive and eventually it's own tomb. But that is what made the Amiga; regardless of the attempted rebadging that goes on wanttabe systems. Now Minimig is damn close, but it was intended to be as close as possible to the A500.

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with needing coldfire? That's like saying that unless it's got propellers, it's not a real airplane...

To be a true amiga, it would need to follow along the 68K line. None of this third party PPC accelerators.

Dammy

CodeSmith 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 5:30:31
#76 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

I have to disagree with you here. You're basically saying that amiga's not allowed to be anything but what it was in the early 90s when CBM died. In the meantime, Apple went from 68K to PPC and then on to x86. Are you seriously saying that a MacBook Pro is not a real Mac because it's not running System 6 on a 68000?

Manu 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 7:12:21
#77 ]

@CodeSmith

Yes some would pirate it, but it would be available to more people that could
decide if they want to buy it or not. If they don't like it they could just continue
use their OS, be it windows or linux.

I'm confident that it would result in more OS4 copies sold than ever will be sold
on home brewn hardware.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 9:13:27
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Considering there is no homebrewn hardware, I believe you're right!

adiaux 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 9:20:04
#79 ]

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:
@Interesting

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

[quote]It would also be possible to drop the slots and make very tiny, custom shaped motherboards out of this two-chip solution, possibly even smaller than the Efika. I'm thinking in the line of Lime PC kind of products, or a laptop, or whatever.

the CPU of the LimePC still has bugs, and issues to be worked out. I'm sure you read Freescale Design News: Volume 8, Issue 3.
MPC8313E PowerQUICC II Pro Integrated Host Processor Device Errata, pdf

Play nice, lest we discuss other non-delivering products. Seriously, that wasn't really called for.

[/quote]

Thank you!

I guess someone is taking a kind of medication that makes him read things that weren't even there in the first place and writes comments on that...

olegil 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 10:32:16
#80 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Also, I don't get why he's talking about the 8313e? I thought the limepc would be using the 5121e?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle