Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  29 secs ago
 Rob:  3 mins ago
 utri007:  15 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  54 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 thinkchip:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Compositing + ActivateWindow + Task pri <0 = Lockup
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Compositing + ActivateWindow + Task pri <0 = Lockup
Posted on 24-Jan-2009 9:10:30
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Dwyloc
Not only do you need compositing on, but you need inactive windows to be slightly transparent (the default).

While the program freezes (after a few seconds) if it's priority is below 0, you may not get any lock-ups unless you interact with the windows.

Profile     Report this post  
Deniil715 
Re: Compositing + ActivateWindow + 68k + Task pri <0 = Lockup
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 17:23:14
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

I checked last night if I had any programs running with low priority. I had AmiDock priority set to -1. (I think I messed with these priorities when I was trying to find reason to slow booting. The reason for slow booting in the end was I had some big files unnecessarily in envarc. I set everything to 0 pri.

Big files in ENVARC: should not slow down booting on OS4 because ENVARC: is never copied on OS4 (unless you have modified your startup-sequence and added "Copy ENVARC: ENV: Quiet" which would be a mistake on OS4).

Set the Start Priority in the icon in WBStartUp instead of changing the program priority to make some programs start in a different order from WBStartup!

Tomppeli 
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 19:23:38
#23 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
Big files in ENVARC: should not slow down booting on OS4 because ENVARC: is never copied on OS4

That's what I've believed so myself too and I've not changed S-S. (That's why I asked in Amigans.net if they've changed that in 4.1.) I found my old notes but they weren't clear enough in that part. But I think removing those big files from envarc: made booting time quite better (maybe 10-20 secs). Moving also from FFS2 to SFS and making a new OS4.1 installation dropped cold boot time 35 secs, from 67 secs to 32 secs. (Soft boot changed from 47 secs to 11 secs.) (That part is clear in my notes.)

Quote:
Set the Start Priority in the icon in WBStartUp instead of changing the program priority to make some programs start in a different order from WBStartup!

That was the idea when I was messing with those. Finnish translation of WB is confusing me a little bit.

Edit: Unfortunately I had to reboot to change language of the system. (I thought it should be possible to change any settings on Amiga without rebooting. Needing to reboot is shame.) It was Finnish translation which confused me. "Start priority" is translated to "Suoritusprioriteetti" which is more like "execution/runtime priority". "Käynnistysprioriteetti" would be much better. So you were right and I was wrong, it was actually Start priority which had negative value in my case and not runtime priority as I thought.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 25-Jan-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Last edited by Tomppeli on 25-Jan-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Last edited by Tomppeli on 25-Jan-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Xenic 
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 22:33:32
#24 ]

@Deniil715
Quote:
Big files in ENVARC: should not slow down booting on OS4 because ENVARC: is never copied on OS4 (unless you have modified your startup-sequence and added "Copy ENVARC: ENV: Quiet" which would be a mistake on OS4).

Not necessarily true. Individual files in ENVARC: and ENVARC:sys are not copied during booting but all of the other ENVARC: subdirectories appear to be copied on my system. Take a look at ENV: after a reboot with the shell "list ALL" command. Other than avoiding copying all the default icons to ENV: on boot, using a device for ENV: instead of copying all of the ENVARC: files like OS3 is somewhat useless in my view. They could have redesigned DefIcons to keep requested icons buffered in it's own memory area and skipped the ENV device. Some programs like SView5 & MUI want to keep all their configuration and prefs files in an ENVARC: sub-directory which results in a lot of file copying at boot time.

tonyw 
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 22:56:03
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Sorry, I misunderstood your response to Deniil. Forget I spoke.

Last edited by tonyw on 25-Jan-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Deniil715 
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 23:11:44
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

That's what I've believed so myself too and I've not changed S-S. (That's why I asked in Amigans.net if they've changed that in 4.1.) I found my old notes but they weren't clear enough in that part. But I think removing those big files from envarc: made booting time quite better (maybe 10-20 secs). Moving also from FFS2 to SFS and making a new OS4.1 installation dropped cold boot time 35 secs, from 67 secs to 32 secs. (Soft boot changed from 47 secs to 11 secs.) (That part is clear in my notes.)

That's a lot! I have used SFS for a long time and I have about the same figures as you now 32/11.

Where those big files loaded by any program? How big were they?

FFSs becomes extremely slow when more than one program is loading, or loading files because FFS tries to swap between the different processes at the speed of exec task switching. SFS OTOH always finishes what it started and never switches to server another process until it has server one IO requeset completely. That is one thing which makes SFS so much faster than FFS.

Quote:

That was the idea when I was messing with those. Finnish translation of WB is confusing me a little bit.

Edit: Unfortunately I had to reboot to change language of the system. (I thought it should be possible to change any settings on Amiga without rebooting. Needing to reboot is shame.)

You shouldn't need to. What you might need is to free up so that WB can reset itself. That can prove difficult sometimes...

Quote:

It was Finnish translation which confused me. "Start priority" is translated to "Suoritusprioriteetti" which is more like "execution/runtime priority". "Käynnistysprioriteetti" would be much better. So you were right and I was wrong, it was actually Start priority which had negative value in my case and not runtime priority as I thought.

Ok

FFS can really stall when WB is launching WBStartup apps since so much is happening at the same time. SFS is faster, but I have actually made a script for a number of apps so that the start with a small delay in between to releave the multi-swapping on the disk so much :)

Deniil715 
Posted on 25-Jan-2009 23:14:50
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Quote:

Not necessarily true. Individual files in ENVARC: and ENVARC:sys are not copied during booting but all of the other ENVARC: subdirectories appear to be copied on my system.

That appears to be true! How strange? Why is it doing that? That's no point in that? Ok to create the directories, but not copy the files in them. Why not read them on demand as those in the root of ENVARC:????

Can any OS4 dev answer this, please?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle