Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Torque:  13 mins ago
 kiFla:  45 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 kriz:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 Rassilon:  4 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  OS4.1 for Pegasos II
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
guruman 
Re: OS4.1 for Pegasos II
Posted on 3-Feb-2009 22:45:00
#101 ]

@ChrisH
Quote:
ChrisH wrote:
@COBRA
Yeah. If MorphOS fans really wanted to help MorphOS, they would try to find what Gebrochen did wrong (*) (which caused all his problems), and then find a way to prevent other users having the same problem. It could be as easy as better documentation...

(* this assumes he DID do something wrong - but perhaps MorphOS 2.0 has problems with certain hardware/software set-ups that hasn't been noticed/fixed yet? Remember he said MorphOS 1.x booted from CD fine, but 2.0 did not - on his set-up.)

First of all, he is blaming on MorphOS for some OpenFirmware limitations. It is the OF the "shell" he has been referring to... Clearly OF is not something in the hands of the MorphOS team, nor can give hints about the value of the OS.
For instance, it is not MorphOS that needs an FFS partition for the boot.img: it is the old OF of PegasosI that can only boot from FFS, while it is suggested to put everything else in SFS partitions that work just better in MorphOS. On Peg2 you can put everything on a single SFS partition.
Knowing this, well, there is quite a lot of documentation about OF online, and it might be useful to print it before powering the system up. My PegasosII came with documentation in English and German explaining all the commands I needed to boot and setup the system anyway.
He has been given assistance online via IRC when he had problems (as explained on this or the other thread about AOS4.1 vs MorphOS on Peg, I don't remember). Quite a lot of time was lost because he was asked to type `ls`at the OF prompt, and according to him it didn't work. Turned out he kept typing `is` instead. Clearly a case of "Error between keyboard and chair", I'd say, so, yes, I'd assume he DID something wrong

Finally, he said that MorphOS does not even have an editor, so he is clearly referring to old versions of the system, since nowadays MorphOS ships with a native MUIfied `Ed`.

Not wanting to put all the blame on him, just to clarify things a bit.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 3-Feb-2009 22:56:45
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Stephen_Robinson

Quote:

Well there is nothing in the pref folder, which is the, sorry, hte Amiga way, they've but put into 4 options on the pull down menu.

If you miss Prefs drawer so much you can always populate it with script icons which simply start preferred preferences editor. Try this:

CD MOSSYS:Prefs
Preferences MPrefs/Audio.mprefs

and you have got good old classic Amiga prefs.

Even better when you update MorphOS to newer version your icons stay there untouched.

Quote:

Whether that's a good thing or not, is a bit on subjective side, as if you like the Mac Rip,err insipred Preferances panel.

At least MorphOS is not Amiga rip off

Gebrochen 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 2:34:38
#103 ]

@guruman

Wake up FATIGUE KIlls.

I DID NOT SAY IT DID NOT HAVE AN EDITOR.

That was HYPEX.

Please stop inferior pathetic human finger pointing the moment you read thigns from other peoples posts, and placing them into your arguments against me.

ANOTHER NOTE:

You will soon find that I am NOT AGAINST MOS, AROS, LINUX, MAC at all, only AGAINST WINDOWS.

If you are wondeirng why all the CAPS, I was in the hope you would not mis read my posting this time.

ALso, others have pointed out their viewpoints regarding MOS versus AOS. And they clearly have more than 4 months experience with the os4 onwards and os2 onwards versions here.

Kindest Regards

Gebrochen

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

COBRA 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 10:09:26
#104 ]

@guruman

Quote:
First of all, he is blaming on MorphOS for some OpenFirmware limitations. It is the OF the "shell" he has been referring to... Clearly OF is not something in the hands of the MorphOS team, nor can give hints about the value of the OS.
For instance, it is not MorphOS that needs an FFS partition for the boot.img: it is the old OF of PegasosI that can only boot from FFS, while it is suggested to put everything else in SFS partitions that work just better in MorphOS. On Peg2 you can put everything on a single SFS partition.

Isn't OpenFirmware an open-source project like UBoot? If so, then I don't see why they couldn't make improvements to it if they wanted to. I mean Hyperion spent a considerable amount of effort on UBoot, such as adding a menu so that the users could change settings without the need to type in hard-to-remember commands and options, and also fixing some bugs/issues. There have been a lot of updates to the UBoot firmware for AmigaOne.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 10:16:49
#105 ]

@COBRA

I mean Hyperion spent a considerable amount of effort on UBoot, such as adding a menu so that the users could change settings without the need to type in hard-to-remember commands and options, and also fixing some bugs/issues.
END QUOTE

Finally, someone that can place my thoughts into words. Thanks Cobra

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 11:26:45
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen
OK, seems like your MorphOS 2 problem mainly arose from OpenFirmware issues on the Pegasos 1.

As far as UBoot on Sam440 goes, I never had to type any commands into it to install OS4.1. (I *did* have to type a couple of UBoot commands to enable DMA permanently, but that is kind of optional, and can at least be left to later.)

COBRA 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 12:19:53
#107 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
As far as UBoot on Sam440 goes, I never had to type any commands into it to install OS4.1. (I *did* have to type a couple of UBoot commands to enable DMA permanently, but that is kind of optional, and can at least be left to later.)

On the AmigaOne at least, you can do that under UBoot prefs in a GUI. On a Sam, you have to do it by typing a command, either in UBoot, or under OS4 using the NVSetVar command, but hopefully UBoot prefs will be adapted to work on the Sam too.

Zylesea 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 12:28:19
#108 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Peg1 is abandonware. pegII firmeare supports sfs. there was an upgrade path from Peg1 to PegII. That was the kind of offeed support. Why put effort into a abandoned, sub optimal hardware, when there is a replacement hardware.
Those who obtained a peg1 should know it is inferior to teh PegII.
Plus, it isn't that hard to create a small ffs partitition to put the boot.img file on. It is recommeded anyway.

itix 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 12:39:05
#109 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Pegasos 2 firmware supports SFS, it just isnt available for Pegasos 1. It is up to bPlan/Genesi to make updates: it is their HW after all and they are getting money from HW sales.

To put it simply: bPlan does the hardware, the MorphOS team does the software.

Last edited by itix on 04-Feb-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Last edited by itix on 04-Feb-2009 at 12:40 PM.

fryguy 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 12:43:35
#110 ]
Cult Member

But... isn't this thread supposed to be about OS4.1 for Peg II ? ;)

EDIT: Seems like i killed this thread now :)

Last edited by fryguy on 04-Feb-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 13:15:00
#111 ]

I was wondering why couldn't bPlan and Genesi start making Pegasos III with 7448 1.7GHz CPU and some fast bridge chip. Or maybe using 8641/8641D.

Geri 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 13:41:19
#112 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Quote:
COBRA wrote:
@guruman

Isn't OpenFirmware an open-source project like UBoot?

OpenFirmware itself is only a specification! Although most of the firmwares that follow the OpenFirmware standard are now available under a BSD license. But that doesn't mean that an OF firmware implementation must be freely available.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 13:45:01
#113 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
I think you are just being silly On my other Amiga (which runs the official AmigaOS) there is only one app to handle it all. It is called Preferences just like it is called Preferences in MorphOS.

No I'm just stating my initial impressions as well. On AmigaOS 3.x and up I have never seen a Preferences program. I have seen a Preferences drawer. Which contains all the Prefs programs.

Now, on MorphOS I found no drawer, so was a bit lost as to how to change settings. Until I found out where. Had I not been expecting it to work exactly like AmigaOS I would have searched around more. But I was not used to it and and thinking AmigaOS "blinded" me at first.

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 13:47:55
#114 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

Quote:
Finally, he said that MorphOS does not even have an editor, so he is clearly referring to old versions of the system, since nowadays MorphOS ships with a native MUIfied `Ed`.

No, that was me! Yes, it was an old version.

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:01:09
#115 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA
Hmmm, OK, I tested NVSetVar, and it seems to survive a reboot (as "NonVolatile" would suggest), contrary to my previous understanding.

But why then is UBoot prefs GUI not available for Sam440? I thought it was because changing the UBoot prefs for Sam440 was very different from how it was done on A1, and that no-one had spent the considerable time to implement it. But NVSetVar seems to disprove that...

rzookol 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:34:06
#116 ]

@Hypex

There is no editor on morphos CDrom but everyone could download MorphED from MDC and MorphED is far better than any editor included in Amigaos.

fryguy 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:53:40
#117 ]
Cult Member

The only thing i found a little confusing with MOS was that the installer "hid" the Amiga file systems as default.

billt 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:54:58
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:
I was wondering why couldn't bPlan and Genesi start making Pegasos III with 7448 1.7GHz CPU and some fast bridge chip. Or maybe using 8641/8641D.

The 7448 could have been a new CPU card for Peg2. But I think they were concerned that it sucked too much electricity for their needs so they dropped those plans. Then there was talk of the 8641(D), not sure what happened about that. More recently they were talking about 8610 and 5121e, but seems those may be falling through the cracks as well. They talk about these things on powerdeveloper.org

COBRA 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:55:00
#119 ]

@itix

Quote:
Pegasos 2 firmware supports SFS, it just isnt available for Pegasos 1. It is up to bPlan/Genesi to make updates: it is their HW after all and they are getting money from HW sales.

So, as far as I understand it, the MOS dev team does not have access to the Pegasos OF sources?

I don't think that bPlan/Genesi would be interested in making updates, after all we're talking about discontinued products, neither the pegasos1 or the pegasos2 are being sold anymore, so they wouldn't have any income from making firmware updates available.

COBRA 
Posted on 4-Feb-2009 14:57:03
#120 ]

@ChrisH

OS4 for the Sam440 is beta, so not everything is 100%. And yes, the EEPROM is completely different to that on the AmigaOne, and UBoot prefs was not yet adapted for the Sam.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle