Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 52 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

A1200

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  45 secs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 Beajar:  26 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 redfox:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Poll : Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Because I need the brand name to use the product.
Because it does not have the OS feel I want.
Because I'd rather continue the melodrama on this AOS 4 centric website.
Because open source is for wimps!
Because I naturally just like to complain.
Whats's AROS?
I'm so used to nothing Amiga being easy, why change now?

PosterThread
Gleng 
Re: [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 10:49:01
#121 ]

@paolone

Haha, brilliant. I was going to ask you how the apps added via ADD_PROGRAM work, but you've already answered my questions. I'll try again when I get home and see if I can get it going.

Profile     Report this post  
hardwired 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 11:10:18
#122 ]

@paolone

Quote:
one of the enhancements I considered for AmiBridge was the option to choose either a exe or a script, and modify the user-startup launch line accordingly. But before doing that I have still to look at ClusterUK's approach, which seems to be better than mine. The next step would also be the option to add an Amiga application by simply double clicking on it.

But this will require time and knowledges I'm slowly learning.

It's possible to do that since AROS is able to recognize Amiga68K executable files with datatype (It's probably onof the aproaches that O1I will take in his Janus E-UAE integration project) - but script files are text files for AROS, and setting the S flag would made it possible for Wanderer to recognize as Script file but it wouldn't be able to tell the diference between AROS script file and Amiga script file and would execute as AROS one...

paolone 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 13:21:02
#123 ]

@hardwired

That option would only work for applications.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 17:39:40
#124 ]

Quote:
Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?

... Because Sam440-flex-800MHz is out !

@paolone
Late answer. Ok, I forgot there were so many issues with Sam. But it is a beta product. Installing AmigaOS4.1 to my A1 was clicking "next" a couple of times, 5 minutes of waiting and then everything worked out of the box. Also AmigaOS SLB can boot my Debian without problems.

Icaros is not working on my x86 computer (from the HD, I mean) but you got Sam and AOS4.1 to work in the end. I don't know how to setup Grub to make it work, I don't know if I have to move some files to some directory to make it to work, I don't know should Icaros work natively or do I need that emulator running on a host OS and I don't know if Grub version, which is delivered with Ubuntu, can read FFS and SFS at all. Your manual warns not to install AROS on the same HD with other OS'es because it's unreliable but you gave me instructions to do so. Do AROS boot anywhere else than master 0 IDE device ? I don't want to break my other OS installations and I don't want to remove my main HD to make AROS work on a single empty HD. And so on...

So which Grub version I should use and where I can get it which should be also compatible with Ubuntu ? Ubuntu Grub uses /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Do Icaros use menu.lst or some other config method and if so do both config methods work together without problems ? Do I need to run Icaros on an emulator or does it work "directly"/natively ? Can I trust it enough so I can install it on a HD with other OS'es without losing them ? Does it boot from an extended partition or only from a master partition ?

Testing AROS sometimes I'm disappointed to its speed. It feels sluggish on a multigigahertz "superior" x86 when AmigaOS4 feels fast on my 600MHz G3. Somebody might say AROS is fast on 2-4 core 3-4 GHz machine but so does Winblows (Visva/7beta). And if you have to run it on an emulator/host OS...

Maybe it will be more mature some day in future.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 03-Apr-2009 at 05:40 PM.

billt 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 18:14:36
#125 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
where is the option that sasys cause I hate X86 & would prefer alternatives!!

This is also known as "I prefer expensive", "I prefer not always possible to buy at all", "I prefer to be tied to my desk and not take it with me", "I prefer lack of variety", "I prefer to order from long ways away instead of buy from convenient local store"

paolone 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 21:12:42
#126 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:
Icaros is not working on my x86 computer (from the HD, I mean) but you got Sam and AOS4.1 to work in the end.

You got AmigaOS 4.1 easily working on your A1, where ALL A1s are hydentical each others. You have problems running Icaros on YOUR PC, which can be totally different from every other on the planet. Can you see the little difference?

In the manual I write only the safest option, because I don't want Icaros being source of problems of any kind. Here I can tell you there are actually other options you can test, at your own risk, to make Icaros work. Icaros uses Grub2, while - from your description - your Ubuntu uses the old version (Grub 1 or Legacy). So you won't use menu.lst for loading Icaros, but you actually can use Icaros' grub.cfg in /boot/grub to add options to load Ubuntu. I won't help you doing this, though, because I am not able to do so. AROS can also boot from other devices, but due to some limitations in current code, you'd better set temporarily in BIOS the second device as primary boot device, installing AROS onto it, and then restore your original settings. Generally new computers have an early boot option you can use to decide what to boot, even without entering the BIOS. Use that and you'll be fine. Unluckily, if you want to boot AROS, you have to use AROS' grub2.

And, well, to load from hard drive you should do nothing more than using the emergency mode kernel, or use the 'nodma' trick I repeated many and many times in these topics.

paolone 
Posted on 4-Apr-2009 23:39:24
#127 ]

Frash news from the AROS mailing list:

Quote:

Author: neil
Date: 2009-04-04 22:09:28 +0200 (Sat, 04 Apr 2009)
New Revision: 31075

Modified:
trunk/AROS/workbench/c/Install-grub2-i386-pc.c
Log:
- GRUB 2 can now be installed on other disks besides the first one.
- Improved autodoc.

This should resolve the issue with AROS being installed on different discs than Master 0. It will be included in Icaros 1.1.1.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle