Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 michalsc:  14 mins ago
 Hypex:  57 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 maseghir:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 ggw:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 redfox:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  RadeonHD Picasso96 Driver
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trixie 
Re: RadeonHD Picasso96 Driver
Posted on 3-May-2009 8:46:40
#21 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Trev

Quote:
I'm surprised compositing on the R5xx is winning in your pool.

Surprise for me also! Well, Hans can always disregard the results of the poll and do things his way

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Profile     Report this post  
HKvalhe 
Posted on 3-May-2009 14:59:19
#22 ]

@Hans

Like you said on your latest posts, take one step at the time. Better to have a fully working product than a half-working product. Use your time at the best and when you have reached a level of perfection, then you should be ready..

Great work after all, and well worth it! Don't give up! You are already halfway to the goal!

This truly deserves a banana party!

Tomppeli 
Posted on 3-May-2009 15:00:46
#23 ]

@Hans

Quote:
I was surprised with this too. My thoughts were that people would jump at the latest and greatest that they can plug into their machines. I do understand that people would want something to be fully usable sooner rather than later.

I didn't know how to answer in that poll. But I think I voted to finish X1550 drivers first. But if those cards are going to be obsolete and hard to find already maybe you should forget those cards completely and develop HD2400/R6xx only. HD2400 has video accelerator too. I thought first it's better to finish something first but ... like I said. I tried to find PCI versions of those two cards from resellers in my home country but couldn't find any. Only AGP 4x/8x and PCIe. So PCI versions of such cards are not available everywhere. But is it already time to try to find such cards or are those drivers too far away still ? And will everybody who wants have chance to beta test them ?

Keep up the good work !

I second with nanas:

Last edited by Tomppeli on 03-May-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Trixie 
Posted on 3-May-2009 15:56:39
#24 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@HKvalhe

Quote:
Better to have a fully working product than a half-working product.

That sounds logical but means Hans will spend his time adding a not-so-crucial feature to a product that will soon became hard to get. As developer time has become extremely valuable in Amigaland, I'd rather focus on a more modern piece of hardware, to extend the range of supported cards.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

wegster 
Posted on 3-May-2009 15:57:28
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Trev

Quote:

Trev wrote:
@Hans

I'm surprised compositing on the R5xx is winning in your pool. I guess Amiga geeks just can't get enough of their obsolete hardware. Personally, I'd take the work you've completed and move forward. Split the compositing bits into a separate project, with a focus on the R6xx hardware. Once both are completed, backport (or whatever) the compositing bits to earlier devices, assuming there's still a demand.

I was surprised with this too. My thoughts were that people would jump at the latest and greatest that they can plug into their machines. I do understand that people would want something to be fully usable sooner rather than later.

I hope that people realize that hardware compositing != 3D support. Compositing uses the 3D capabilities, but it's no Warp3D/OpenGL driver. 3D drivers are planned, of course, but things need to be taken one step at a time.

Hans

One more 'I'm surprised.' Compositing in it's current form simply does little besides eye-candy that I disabled immediately, would much rather other cards and features are developed, such as 3d acceleration, etc.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 3-May-2009 17:37:01
#26 ]

@Trixie

I only hope everything will work out, and we need this kind of development. I guess there is a critical time for everybody and we simply have to do the best with what is still available...

Hans 
Posted on 3-May-2009 23:14:30
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

I didn't know how to answer in that poll. But I think I voted to finish X1550 drivers first. But if those cards are going to be obsolete and hard to find already maybe you should forget those cards completely and develop HD2400/R6xx only. HD2400 has video accelerator too. I thought first it's better to finish something first but ... like I said. I tried to find PCI versions of those two cards from resellers in my home country but couldn't find any. Only AGP 4x/8x and PCIe. So PCI versions of such cards are not available everywhere. But is it already time to try to find such cards or are those drivers too far away still ? And will everybody who wants have chance to beta test them ?

I have a few issues that I want to sort out first, but I am planning to ask for beta testers fairly soon. OS4 beta testers already have access, but not enough people have one of these graphics cards.

Hans

Treke 
Posted on 4-May-2009 6:13:38
#28 ]

@Trixie

hello
I voted for the same option - to finish the compositing on the R5xx. Maybe the poll is a surprise so here it is why I did so..

@Hans
i do not have an OS 4.1 capable machine yet (i'll get one when I get a sustainable job) so you can remove one vote for r5xx if you wish.
The reason I voted for the R5xx, even if it becomes obsolete is (obviously) to have something running. The second reason is the maintainance(which affects delivery time). If you would develop both at the same time, it would mean to maintain 2 codebases, or a common codebase for 2 cousin projects (fixing bugs in the codes, maintaining 2 live projects, one already published). With the R5xx finished and polished, you could concentrate solely on the R6xx without synchronizing back to R5xx, once it is in a solid shape. I guess the approach can buy some speed in mid-term.
So maybe my reasoning is not too sensible, but I voted for finishing r5xx _because_ it is obsolete.
Sometimes is easier to build a small bridge first, then the big bridge, than building the big one from the scratch. Especially when you have never built _complete_ bridges before. Just an option...

Hans 
Posted on 5-May-2009 5:59:09
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Wegster

Quote:
One more 'I'm surprised.' Compositing in it's current form simply does little besides eye-candy that I disabled immediately, would much rather other cards and features are developed, such as 3d acceleration, etc.

Personally, I like the compositing, as it means proper transparency, and I like the new look. I'd like to see the SDL port make use of it so that blitting with alpha channels is also hardware accelerated. Having said that, 2D blitter is enough to make the card usable.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 5-May-2009 6:06:00
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Treke

Quote:

Treke wrote:
@Trixie

hello
I voted for the same option - to finish the compositing on the R5xx. Maybe the poll is a surprise so here it is why I did so..

@Hans
i do not have an OS 4.1 capable machine yet (i'll get one when I get a sustainable job) so you can remove one vote for r5xx if you wish.
The reason I voted for the R5xx, even if it becomes obsolete is (obviously) to have something running. The second reason is the maintainance(which affects delivery time). If you would develop both at the same time, it would mean to maintain 2 codebases, or a common codebase for 2 cousin projects (fixing bugs in the codes, maintaining 2 live projects, one already published). With the R5xx finished and polished, you could concentrate solely on the R6xx without synchronizing back to R5xx, once it is in a solid shape. I guess the approach can buy some speed in mid-term.
So maybe my reasoning is not too sensible, but I voted for finishing r5xx _because_ it is obsolete.
Sometimes is easier to build a small bridge first, then the big bridge, than building the big one from the scratch. Especially when you have never built _complete_ bridges before. Just an option...

I'm not too worried that R5xx cards are going to disappear on us, after all, Radeon 9000 cards are still available. Amiga vendors are likely to stock these cards when they're usable, making it easier for people to get a hold of. Having said that, if I were buying a new card, I'd want the best one that I could get for a reasonable price.

On to your reasoning. There is only one driver, and it will handle R5xx cards, R6xx cards, and higher. The framebuffer code is common to all cards, but the hardware acceleration is not. Apart from the initialization code which picks which set of driver functions are used (i.e., the R5xx functions, or the R6xx ones), there is no interaction between the R5xx acceleration code and the R6xx code.

It's all a matter of timing. The R5xx code is up and running whereas the R6xx is not, so adding compositing should take much less time than getting 2D blitter working on the R6xx.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 05-May-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Treke 
Posted on 5-May-2009 6:30:45
#31 ]

@Hans

Thx for the reply.
Out of curiosity: How big chunk of the driver is the hw acceleration code for R5xx (adding the estimated size of the compositing code) ?
Oh and I forgot: Keep it up! You're doing a good job
:)
Ed

Restore2003 
Posted on 5-May-2009 7:19:22
#32 ]

@Hans

Keep up the good work! You have the whole community behind you:)
Hope the donations will flourish:)

Last edited by Restore2003 on 05-May-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 6-May-2009 1:07:02
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Treke

Quote:

Treke wrote:
@Hans

Thx for the reply.
Out of curiosity: How big chunk of the driver is the hw acceleration code for R5xx (adding the estimated size of the compositing code) ?
Oh and I forgot: Keep it up! You're doing a good job
:)
Ed

I never really bothered looking at the code size of any part. I think that the framebuffer stuff is much bigger than the blitter stuff (there's a whole AtomBIOS interpreter in there). Regardless, there's still too much in common between the different cards to warrant making a separate driver.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 16-May-2009 0:47:35
#34 ]
Elite Member

The poll is closed, R5xx compositing it is.

Thank you to all those who voted. I had hoped that the number of votes would pass the 200 mark, but 151 votes does show a reasonable level of interest.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 31-May-2009 6:30:37
#35 ]
Elite Member

I am now looking for beta testers. If you have the right hardware and are interested in testing the driver, then visit this page.

Hans

Ruud 
Posted on 31-May-2009 9:49:57
#36 ]

@Hans

I would like to be a beta tester but I only have a PegII to use which from what you say on your website it doesn't sound like it would be any good :(

Hans 
Posted on 31-May-2009 10:34:17
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Ruud

Quote:

Ruud wrote:
@Hans

I would like to be a beta tester but I only have a PegII to use which from what you say on your website it doesn't sound like it would be any good :(

It's unconfirmed if the Peg II firmware is the issue. I'd still like to have someone test these cards with the Peg II. However, I don't want to see someone buy a graphics card specifically for a machine that might not be able to use it.

BTW, is there someone who could update the firmware, if it were confirmed that it wasn't checking for devices behind a PCI to PCI bridge?

Hans

Ruud 
Posted on 31-May-2009 15:11:43
#38 ]

@Hans

The card that was tried in a PegII was a pci? Are agp versions any good with your driver?

Derfs 
Posted on 31-May-2009 15:22:12
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Ruud

Quote:

Ruud wrote:
@Hans

The card that was tried in a PegII was a pci? Are agp versions any good with your driver?

repeating what i wrote over on amigans;

essentially its a radeon card of the radeon X1xxx or radeon HD2xxx series with a PCI interface.

to see a rundown of what cards have PCI in these series use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units

basically, its the exact same cards Hans uses to test the driver, namely the Radeon HD 2400 Pro, Radeon X1550 or Radeon X1300.

hope that helps.

Kicko 
Posted on 31-May-2009 15:39:09
#40 ]
Elite Member

Would be nice to see a short list on only the cards that we can use (pci) to betatest.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle