Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  2 mins ago
 Hammer:  26 mins ago
 billt:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 29 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Market research for new PowerPC system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
minator 
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
Posted on 5-Oct-2009 21:13:02
#301 ]
Cult Member

@Frek

Quote:
Do you even read other posts

Yes...

Quote:
Exactly where do you see me state a specific ratio between the CPUs?

just here:

Quote:
the Core 2 is minimum about 4 times (3.78 times to be exact)

---

Quote:
And theoretically btw...

Intel Core 2 can complete up to 4 instructions per cycle (per core).
Intel Atom can complete up to 2 instructions per cycle (per core).

Optimally the Atom would be 50% slower per cycle, but due to lack of instruction reordering it's not even particularly likely to complete 2 instructions per cycle successfully..

Atom is hurt by being in-order but Core 2 has the problem that very little code can issue 4 instructions per cycle - and even if it could the memory system can't keep up.

Profile     Report this post  
Frek 
Posted on 5-Oct-2009 22:18:03
#302 ]

@minator

You even cut the line out of context!

It still says minimum however, which means out of the test I run there was no a single test where it performed any better- however the other side is clearly specified as flexible by the line you intentially left out here.

Sure I don't think anyone in their right mind believes the Core 2 retires/issues 4 instructions per cycle in any other circumstance but the absolute optimal case.
It is however significantly more likely it will issue more instructions per cycle than the Atom does; yet you claimed the Atom and Core 2 was sometimes head to head; but I guess you talk about instruction latency which is totally uninteresting for an out of order processor such as the Core 2.

Also why no word about the 16 stage pipeline on the Atom?
The Core 2 is just 14 stage- and has logic to minimize bubbles, and even if the Core 2 was inorder its pipeline system would fill 2 cycles faster than the Atom anyway.

number6 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 15:20:10
#303 ]
Elite Member

@all

I'm sure more than a few of you have wondered how the market research has been going on this project since @feanor's last posting here.

Posted just days ago:

Quote:
Karl wrote: Only 100 people would buy a PowerPC system?Hard to believe ...

feanor:
Quote:
Not exactly, only ~120 people sent email that they would be interested in buying a PowerPC system. I guess disbelief is hard to beat.

more here from @feanor

Today:
Quote:
I don't see it happening. I'll post details on my blog tomorrow as I promised, but so far response has been very small. I can't even convince myself to spend money on it with such numbers, let alone convince an investor.

Gleng 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 15:27:17
#304 ]

@number6

Honest, and fair enough.

Troels 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 15:43:57
#305 ]
Elite Member

@Gleng
Personally I would be interested (and did send an email) but I suspect most people needed proof that it was not a hoax and that Hyperion would be 100% sure to port AmigaOS4.x to whatever board was build.

No one knows if contact was ever established with Hyperion and I think most people just won't bother until they know it's serious stuff and not another joke like Troika/Iwin/Moana etc..

Gleng 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 15:49:18
#306 ]

@Troels

Yeah, I emailed my interest too, but if the numbers don't work for Feanor, then that's that. It's nice that he's honest enough to say it's not worth doing (rather than stringing people along).

feanor 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 16:04:35
#307 ]

@Gleng

Quote:

It's nice that he's honest enough to say it's not worth doing (rather than stringing people along).

I didn't say it's not worth doing, I still like the idea very much. But would you spend this amount with just 120 people in your list? Yes, I agree, people might just be sceptical, but that's a vicious circle, people won't send mails if they don't see something concrete, investors won't bother if they don't see interest, etc. I can't force people to send mail, but I also can't force the investors to spend money just because I think it's "a great idea"!

Anyway, I've not dismissed it entirely, but it would just make things soooo much easier if the number was eg 300-500.

Caveman 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 16:12:02
#308 ]
Cult Member

@feanor

I would be intererested,were do i send the email?

Gleng 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 16:19:18
#309 ]

@feanor

Quote:
I didn't say it's not worth doing, I still like the idea very much. But would you spend this amount with just 120 people in your list?

That's what I meant. Not worth spending lots of money on with regards to the low numbers.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 16:31:53
#310 ]
Team Member

@all

I do hope this makes some impact to people though about the actual state of things. This effort was advertised on multiple websites, *including ones for other operating system*s. And yet the number is 120. That says a lot. Some of that 120 is not even the Amiga community at all.

Amiga 1200

corto 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 17:07:15
#311 ]

@feanor : Too bad, this is very sad for me but I was prepared to this decision. You are right, the number of interested people is rather low ... even if some that didn't send an email asked for exotic hardware to be supported.

I keep hope to see this kind of project starting ... why not a strong argument could happen one day ... Don't know ...

I hope you will be involved in other PowerPC projects (software ones ?) because this architecture is great and deserves interest and involvement.

Thank you so much for your attempt !

abalaban 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 17:38:12
#312 ]

@feanor

I'm sad about this decision because you seemed to be wanting the same thing as many of us : a powerful PPC board whereas what we actually get is only mid spec'ed board sized for embedded market (I'm not bashing current Hardware manufacturers I understand they should also target other markets than only our Amiga (super) tiny niche market in order to survive).

@all
Personally I sent you an email saying I would be interested in buying the board *if* and only if AmigaOS 4 runs on it, I think many other on this site could have done the same, it's not misleading feanor (at least I don't think so) to say that we are only interested by this board if it can run AOS4 (or MOS). It's only an interest market research not a pre-order commitment. Come on guys show your interest we are a lot more than a few tens !

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 17:48:15
#313 ]
Team Member

@abalaban

Quote:
Come on guys show your interest we are a lot more than a few tens !

Sure, but some already have equipment, some didn't like the choices offered, etc. Even at a few hundreds (say 300) we barely make the cut feanor is looking for. It would also be a disservice to him if people emailed but really did not mean it when it came time to actually buy.

This just further makes me believe my suspicion that we are a very small community when it comes to paying types. Sure, a lot of folks hang around for nostalgia. Sure more would be paying types if the prices could approximate the PC market. But since thats not happening its probably smart for us to embrace the idea that we are a very, very small paying customer community given the small hobby market pricepoints that naturally come with very small production runs.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 30-Oct-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Amiga 1200

CodeSmith 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 17:55:32
#314 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

You may want to try asking again, now that we know that Amiga Inc isn't going to interfere. When you first started, there was the very real possibility hanging over our heads that Amiga Inc would win the court case, and order that Hyperion stop selling OS4. When I sent you my "count me in" email, it was very much with this thought in mind.

I agree with the poster above that said that if you can convince Hyperion to back you up with an official statement, you'd get a lot more positive responses.

Hammer 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 19:26:00
#315 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

feanor wrote:
@Frek

that one is easy, the spursengine is much more than a 3D GPU. It might lose on 3D by any 3D chipset, but it will decode/encode HD H264 video without a sweat, try that on a GPU.

Spursengine includes H.264 hardware. AMD CAL/NV CUDA GPUs also includes H.264 hardware(decode only). H.264 encoding is done by GPU's stream processors.

As for "much more than a 3D GPU", my NV CUDA/AMD CAL GPU smacks PS3's CELL in Fold@Home.

Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 19:36:49
#316 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:

minator wrote:
@Frek

Quote:
Do you even read other posts

Yes...

Quote:
Exactly where do you see me state a specific ratio between the CPUs?

just here:

Quote:
the Core 2 is minimum about 4 times (3.78 times to be exact)

---

Quote:
And theoretically btw...

Intel Core 2 can complete up to 4 instructions per cycle (per core).
Intel Atom can complete up to 2 instructions per cycle (per core).

Optimally the Atom would be 50% slower per cycle, but due to lack of instruction reordering it's not even particularly likely to complete 2 instructions per cycle successfully..

Atom is hurt by being in-order but Core 2 has the problem that very little code can issue 4 instructions per cycle - and even if it could the memory system can't keep up.

Core 2 doesn't have four symmetric processing units. With Core 2, four of those instructions can be two integers(general ALU) and two floating points. Atom only has 1 integer unit (general ALU).

Hammer 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 19:48:47
#317 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

Quote:

feanor wrote:
@Frek

For that matter, OpenCL could be easily ported to the Cell architecture as well.

Register count in GpGPUs kills CELL i.e. GpGPUs are optimised for matrices type math.

Hammer 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 20:12:46
#318 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:

minator wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:
Usually, modern CPUs includes a vector co-processor. ATI/NVIDIA (OpenGL3/OpenCL) GpGPU destroys any Freescale DSPs.

That rather depends on the problem. DSPs tend to have a somewhat different architecture so are more general purpose than GPUs. There are problems that will run fast on DSPs that might be rubbish on GPUs.

Refer to the desktop application context.

petrol 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 20:20:31
#319 ]

Too Bad!!

Petrol.

ne_one 
Posted on 30-Oct-2009 22:32:02
#320 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
This just further makes me believe my suspicion that we are a very small community when it comes to paying types.

But what exactly is the Amiga market? It's been obvious for many years that developing and supporting dedicated hardware is futile.

Perhaps someone should have polled existing, past and prospective users on if they would be willing to pay USD$150 for the operating system if it was available on a reasonably-priced general purpose platform. This would provide a good indication of the market from a business standpoint.

Beyond the hardware, the problem is compounded by fragmentation in the user base. At least some of these parties should have been cooperating years ago. Four AmigaOS variations is just plain silly.

So... anyone have any numbers on the size of the user bases for AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle