Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  15 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  17 mins ago
 Matt3k:  55 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Torque:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 bendito:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga X1000 mentioned on Bit-Tech website
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Amiga X1000 mentioned on Bit-Tech website
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 15:54:35
#61 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
RunInUae: I have my expanded A2000 sitting just below my Sam (or better I placed my Sam on top of it )

Hehe.

Quote:
Let me tell you, compared with Sam+RunInUae the A2000 is 100% more of an hassle, and many times less compatible!!! It probably has to do with the Kickstart, the DKB custom Agnus and so on, but that's the truth, and I no longer use it for games.

Really? It's probaly that 040. That'll kill 'em,.

But your Sam runs hardware banging games better than a real Amiga? Amazing! My OS4 emulated Amiga is pretty much crap!

Quote:
As for that "authentic" feel (very dear to me) I have opened this thread a while ago

Yes I remember it. But hard to do if you have an LCD. That's won't like to go above 60Hz. Plasma TV may fair better. What are they now, 200Hz? Ridiculous! How can we see that fast? Are they stil made for humans?

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 16:25:56
#62 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
How many AmigaOnes and SAM boards have been sold, all together, in the last 8 years? 1000? 2000?

I'd say more. We had the short lived SE. A1-XE about 1,000. The µA1 followed it. Then the Sams. But I think the overall figure would be less than 5,000.

Quote:
Anyway, a platform which sells products in order of a few hundreds per year gets completely ignored by the mainstream.

Of course, but by the time the A1 came around we weren't in the mainstream aymore. Infact even with the Pegasos and Amitlhon before it we were still out of it.

Quote:
I was also told a big company like Adobe, long ago, denied an AmigaOS 4.x port of Photoshop because it needed al least a userbase of 100,000 people.

That's quite a small figure. We could have met that once easy. They should have contacted them sooner.

Quote:
So please get real: Amiga NEVER had a re-launch, but just few little companies selling low-profile, low-tirature products at out-of-the-market high prices, to a little crowd of people still asking for them. Nothing that can go outside the hobby market. Nothing that counts, even for newspapers.

I was being REAL. The AmigaOne may not have been big, but it's what we got! The reality is the Amiga was left too late to save as a mainstream platform. What we ended up with was no real hardware to save the Amiga; that ideas was pretty much dumped. Instead what they saved of the Amiga was the OS. And that's mostly what we got.

And yes, I would LOVE a proper re-lauch of the Amiga. But it's not going to happen. The Amiga brought features into the home that nobody else had. Once PCs got multitasking, 24-but graphics and multi-channel sound the Amiga really had nothing else to offer. It surpassed in these multimedia functions, but even barely 5 years after being launched, it wasn't looking as flash and glossy anynmore.

The reality is. It's too hard to relaunch the Amiga. Can we really do better than real 32-bit graphics, real 24-bit sound, SMP and a 64-bit CPU. To really be another real Amiga again the next Amiga would need to have: A 128-bit multicore CPU. Onboard graphics with 32-bis per GUN to satisfy the Amiga API which supported this in the early 90's! (Are you keeping up with the Commodore? The Commodore has kept past you for 15 years!) Apart from 128-bit ARGB it would need multi-layer 3d playfields with realtime hardware rendering. Super sprites. Super copper. Super blitter. Super Zorro with real Amiga cards and onboard ROM for plug-n-play drivers again. I guess 128-bit integer or FP multichannel audio with realtime hardware effects. And apart from anything else that would be a PC killer or PC catcher a 3d engine that can render about ten times as polygons at ten times the spped of the current offerings!!

Now, that would be worth the price of two X1000's.

Sadly, the reality is, that would never happen. But such a machine would be worthy to earn the Amiga name!

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 16:27:50
#63 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
It only asks *the first time* you run something.

Ahh I see. Thanks. I'ver never really tested it on my own machine. Should give it a shot.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 17:30:58
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex
Yeah you need a CRT monitor capable of 320x256@150hz (3x the original refresh), LCDs are a no go for more than frequency issues.
But CRTs are cheap off ebay and well worth it if you care for authentic looking games (it works for Neo Geo and Megadrive games too!).
As for performance the native full screen resolution (320x256) without any scaling/filtering and RunInUae settings + that version of UAE recompiled for Sam by Mx3 (link on that thread page) allow for smooth scrolling on several great games such as Disposable Heroes and Chuck Rock (1:1 on a higher end Sam) and many lesser ones.
Yes heavy stuff like Jim Power and Lion Heart are a no go on my Sam, but they should behave well on the X1000

On that machine I would like to have a dual monitor set up, I already have a big 21" (Silicon Graphics branded, made by Sony) but I would like to re-get a monitor I used to have, which was a 17" from Nokia (ahh Nokia's monitors were the best!) that would take a little less space.

I guess I should be able to simply use a splitter that sends the signal to both monitors simultaneously, in this case when the 320x256@150 gets sent to both, the CRT should take it and the other should say "out of scan range", or maybe mount two graphics cards, UAE's full screen is sent to its own screen anyway (but I would prefer to save a PCI slot for other stuff).

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:43:14
#65 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
LCDs are a no go

They seem to follow the PC way of using one resolution. They are not made for machines like the Amiga where multiple resolutions are used.

Which makes it strange how they are the basis for digital TV where a mess of standards exist for resolutions!

Quote:
But CRTs are cheap off ebay and well worth it.

I have two myself, 14" and 17". One for my PC and A4000. Another unused under the house.

Quote:
UAE recompiled for Sam by Mx3

Must check that out. Should test it on my A1.

Quote:
On that machine I would like to have a dual monitor set up

Whoa. CRT dream machine.

Quote:
17" from Nokia

The only Nokia screens I know of are around two inches wide.

Quote:
I guess I should be able to simply use a splitter that sends the signal to both monitors simultaneously

Yes. And possibly even multiple output such as VGA and DVI. But having dual graphic card would be nice.

djrikki 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:51:05
#66 ]
Elite Member

On the subject of monitors is there any particular monitor manufacturers I should avoid when it comes to shopping for one for my Amiga X1000 or do Hyperion have monitor-support covered?

DAX 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:51:49
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex
I had a Nokia 17" CRT monitor, maybe they didn't export them to Australia? (Nokia was quati a popular CRT Monitor maker back in the day).

The MX3 recompile uses the IBM libraries for the 440 series, basically some math operation is moved to the 440's DSP, I don't think it's compatible with the A1.
On the other hand A1s generally have faster processors that should make up for it pretty well, what CPu do you have?

P.S.
Have you checked if your 17" takes a non double scanned 320x256 at 120Hz (at least, 150hz is even better)? If it does, then it would be ideal for RunInUae on AOS4.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle