Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  40 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 maseghir:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs ago
 clint:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 gryfon:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 Frank:  4 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 3:24:35
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen
I am talking about the minority of MOS users here.. The typical user who hangs around at moobunny just to spread fud and lies and come here just to #### all over the latest OS4.x hardware.
First it was the original amigaone, then acube and now x1000. They oddly enough shut up about acube boards when os4.1 was ported to pegasos but started again when we finally got news about new hardware that is more powerful than their beloved pegasos and mac mini.

I have nothing against people have different opinions or constructive criticism, but there are still trolls who only come here to #### on the latest OS4.x projects.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 3:26:21
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Well you say ... we have more or less the same software and games, there is no big difference between AmigaOS and MorphOS in term of software, what i'd like to see on OS4 is OWB-MUI but maybe also ShowGirls and 1 or 2 other more software, but maybe for example certain MorphOS user would be happy to see iODBC (http://www.amigasoft.net/pages/odbc/odbc.asp) or Audio Evolution and so on ...

The Fact is that we need to take over our stupid war religion and try to work together when is possible, almost to unify the majority of games/utilities port/projects, we are a small community, we can't lost other times, mainstream OS are too far ...

@Fab
Quote:
MorphOS is quite older and has actually more software you can think

Bu that programs often are now quite old, programs such Frogger or Voyager are useless today, the same on MooVid or IBrowse on OS4

Last edited by samo79 on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Last edited by samo79 on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Last edited by samo79 on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:39 AM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 3:41:27
#23 ]

@samo79

Quote:

Well you say ... we have more or less the same software and games, there is no big difference between AmigaOS and MorphOS in term of software, what i'd like to see on OS4 is OWB-MUI but maybe also ShowGirls and 1 or 2 other more software, but maybe for example certain MorphOS user would be happy to see iODBC (http://www.amigasoft.net/pages/odbc/odbc.asp) or Audio Evolution and so on ...

Sure, i guess we can globally agree on that (Audio Evolution is being ported to MorphOS and AROS AFAIK, btw), though i have diverging feelings regarding the quality/stability/speed of some ports.

But this whole discussion was somehow brought by gebrochen in the first place, so i just replied and emphasized on the "quality" of software, because it's easy to straight-compile/ upload any random opensource program or game, but in the end, it doesn't have any sense, if it's done without discernment (and this applies to MorphOS too, once again :)).

Gebrochen 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 3:46:34
#24 ]

@Zylesea

True that, power is a good thing, I never denied this. And yes, I can start to see a trend to need mor epower across the board, be it MOS or AOS when it comes for video and other processing needs, perhaps like rendering, etc.

You say comparable software, but when I go to OS4depot, or Aminet, there are still more OS4 things out there it seems, unless I am missing some part of the picture here.

Yes I agree, not all the software I use on OS4 can be called OS4 software, so I made a mistake here, but many 68k software just simply work on my OS4 machine, perhaps I overlooked the fact that MOS can also have many 68k programs working too. So effectively it may be relatively equal atm whereby AOS has something MOS doesnt, and ofcourse Vice versa, MOS has something AOS doesnt, software wise.

Sooooooooo,

All in all, both operating systems still seem to need more power, and so x1000 is for AOS while the old PPC macs are being done for MOS.

I understand all this, was just curious on some answers what MOS may need the raw power for, and it seems to be similar needs for power as for perhaps AOS users. Give or take some uses yes.

Thank you for your time, and FAB your time also on the topic, appreciated.

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

samo79 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 3:55:07
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Ya I see your point Fab, but sometimes it looks like an urban legend that all OS4 software are just a "quick port" or isn't optimized, take xMame for example, it use SDL but it's fast enough on an AmigaOne and you can play "recent" games at 40 and more FPS, it's not that bad ... I can say the same on many other "not optimized" software ...

But lately (since latest 2 years) the majority of the software are well developed, i have a relative slow machine (as you can read on my sign) and I can assure you that generally we are quite happy in term of performance

Last edited by samo79 on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:57 AM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 4:04:36
#26 ]

@samo79

Small digression about MAME then. :)

I'm really annoyed when a game doesn't run at nominal speed in MAME. And with MAME being always slower, i'm more and more annoyed, since games that ran at 120fps 6 years ago now difficultly reach 60fps, which forces to find new ways to optimize it. I ported MAME 0.130, 0.135 and 0.138 recently, and i don't think i'll release any of them, because their changes to SH2 emulation made any game using SH2 10 times slower (yes, 10!) than it was in MAME 0.120, for instance (the only way to make it reasonably fast again would be to write a PPC JIT backend for MAME, which is really significantly more work, and i'd prefer MAME authors to do it themselves :)).

Anything below 60fps is not perfect. That's easily noticable, and frameskipping doesn't even help if the CPU emulation is really too slow.

But there are also cases where optimizing a few parts (like blitting) is enough to make the difference between a game running at 45fps (because of slow SDL rendering method) and 60fps (when optimizing a bit).

Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 5:26:44
#27 ]

@Tomas

Sorry, I misunderstood as that being a direct attack against me for stating my feelings for the three Amiga type OS'es, inclusive of OS4.x ofcourse.

Yes you are right, people like that annoy me also,

And sorry, had no idea you werent actually meaning me,

I personally was not aiming to get you annoyed at me, I was talking in general also.

Cheers

AmiKit 12

Gebrochen 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 5:41:17
#28 ]

@samo79

No Harm Meant :
Hey samo, hehehehe, accidental stir of the cooking pot here " Amiga OS Forever "

Back To Reality :
Anyway, I personally think last I looked on the internet, there was more software / games available for OS4 users then MOS users, but maybe I wasnt looking at all the right places?

Cheers

@Fab :

Can you give me all possible Links and sources for MOS software please, inclusive of games. If the list is too big, then PM me.

I am interested now to have a look into this topic further.

Thanks

Last edited by Gebrochen on 26-Jul-2010 at 05:58 AM.

AmiKit 12

BigC 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 6:25:55
#29 ]

@Zylesea

G5 prices are falling as users are being forced by company policy or software updates(or lack thereof) to move to Windows ......

MorphOS on a G5 should fly!

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 6:50:20
#30 ]

@Gebrochen

There are actually several places that list MorphOS software, and while they certainly have a good part in common, they also list "exclusive" links.

- quite new and "official" repository: http://morphos-files.net/ It doesn't try to host/link every possible MorphOS program, but rather tested and meaningful programs.
- a database that Luky maintained nicely since several years: http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/en/ which is more exhaustive.
-The first historical dedicated MorphOS repository, which is unfortunately not maintained anymore, but might still link things the others don't: http://morphos-news.de/software.php?lg=en
- aminet, of course (but not everyone uploads to it (probably laziness, at least in my case).

And this link also lists some of the sites of developers who released something for MorphOS:
http://www.meta-morphos.org/modules.php?ModStart=links&ModPath=links&op=viewlink&cid=12

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 8:55:44
#31 ]

Quote:

The Fact is that we need to take over our stupid war religion and try to work together when is possible, almost to unify the majority of games/utilities port/projects

How can you stop that since the team leaders are the ones that are responsible for that ?
Look, I have nothing against each other, but they just can't bear each other... If both teams were working together, there wouldn't be two incompatible OS implementing the very same APIs, rewriting the same drivers, porting the same apps, over, and over...

Saying "I prefer OS4" is like saying "I prefer the real MS/DOS over DR-DOS or Free-DOS". There are just the same, with a different skin and different code base. They implement the same level of functionnalities, run on the same hardware, execute the same legacy apps, and so on...

Quote:

we are a small community, we can't lost other times, mainstream OS are too far ...

We are losing time, each day since the community has split up...

Last edited by Leo on 26-Jul-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Last edited by Leo on 26-Jul-2010 at 09:02 AM.

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 9:36:33
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Fab
Nobody accused Morph of anything it was you stating "crappy SDL ports" as the reason why AmigaOS has a SW total count superior to MOS (stating quality is more important).
Samo79 simply wanted to point out that as of late SW is done the right way and is mighty usable even on the slowest 533Mhz Sam models (most of the time).

As for the 970 I heard it's quite a difficult beast to tame, could very well take forever to have a final/stable version of MOS running on Apple's most famous vacuum cleaner (VC "noise wise" I mean ), but I certainly agree with you and Zylesea that processing power would be a good thing for both AOS and MOS regardless of the current SW situation.

Last edited by DAX on 26-Jul-2010 at 09:39 AM.

hunk 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 9:54:46
#33 ]

MorphOS guys doing it right. Long live MorphOS.

The number of MorphOS users and developers will explode in the next months and years.

but...

Amiga & AmigaOS: DOING IT WRONG - SINCE 1994

For me it looks like some Amiga people were ex-managers of Commodore. They DO NOT UNDERSTAND YET that the world has changed. Not a single commercial OS except Win & MacOSX has a bit of a chance on todays market. A market where you can have everything for free and computers cost some 100 $/¤.
They are holding a Royal Flush in their hands AND HAVE NO IDEA how to make something of it.

THAT really SUCKS.

AMIGA means: 3 people making computers for 3 people.

Manu 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 10:18:11
#34 ]

Quote:

hunk wrote:
MorphOS guys doing it right. Long live MorphOS.

@hunk

I'm about to agree with you on that one but it depends on if they are planning a shift to another hardware platform or not. I buy the idea to use Mac PPC hardware for the moment but that's IMHO no solution to future problems.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 10:36:59
# ]

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Zylesea

Hope the wait will be not that long as for PowerBook port.

I'm guessing they won't until it supports the hardware fully - meaning ACPI/power management and Wi-fi.

if they're working on those, it would be well worth the wait!

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 10:44:52
# ]

@Manu

I agree, on finding a migration plan. I don't think it's urgent - the Amiga survived for years on mutant A1200s in tower cases, so I reckon they have a year or two to do things the right way.

Chris

Report this post  
DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 10:54:53
#37 ]
Elite Member

@hunk
Explode?
This is a niche for a bunch of happy geeks no flavor is about to explode.
Don't think there is all these people behind the corner waiting to spend 150 to install a slower OS (more on this below) on their 2.7Ghz Powermac where OSX Leopard is already installed. I see much more appeal in rejuvinating a MacMini where MOS runs faster than Leopard, not where it runs slower due to lack of SMP and weaker 3D drivers.

MOS is a small community like all other Amiga communities, these developments are of much interest only to existing users, I could tell you that actually AOS due to the brandname recognition and stronger identity has far more chances to attract those in search of an exotic system (I for one, am very interested in buy a fully boxed/branded and original personal computer, au contrair, running an AmigaOS clone on a Apple macintosh doesn't exite me one bit) but let's not get delusional shall we?

cha05e90 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 10:58:24
#38 ]

@hunk

Quote:
The number of MorphOS users and developers will explode in the next months and years.

Might be. Or not. Mostly already existing MorphOS owners will buy stonger hw - and some people might buy their used equipment (like me - so I got my third hand PegasosII ). I don't think ANY "Amiga"-OS flavour is going to "explode".

EDIT: Dax was faster ...

Last edited by cha05e90 on 26-Jul-2010 at 10:59 AM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 11:05:12
#39 ]

@hunk
Quote:

They DO NOT UNDERSTAND YET that the world has changed.

Yes, the world has changed. Apple is not producing PPC Mac machines anymore. Even Mac fans are ranting about the lack of PPC support. Fedora 13 and SONY drop PowerPCs too.

While MorphOS users are dancing that yet another discontinued Mac line is supported, the Amiga enthusiasts are taking a different approach with new machines.

AmigaOne X1000, Sam 440, Sam 460, Minimig and Natami are new developments done with AmigaOS in mind.

I prefer AmigaOS on Amiga machine than another OS on another machine.
The fact that Amiga hardware ages much slower than PC and Mac hardware is another good reason.

I think new PPC accelerators for classic Amgias will generate more interest than MorphOS for YADM (Yet Another Discontinued Mac).

opi 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 11:09:45
#40 ]
Team Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
I think new PPC accelerators for classic Amgias will generate more interest than MorphOS for YADM (Yet Another Discontinued Mac).

Can I play a guessing game, too? YADM will sell more OS licenses than X1000.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle