Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 40 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MichaelMerkel:  8 mins ago
 zipper:  46 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 MarcioD:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] Amiga Branded PC
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Poll : Amiga Banded PC thoughts?
Excellent my next PC can be an Amiga!
Well at least I can get Amiga branded case/products!
I just hope no damage is made to the Amiga name
Amiga PC is only going to cause confusion
Nooooo!!! a PC branded Amiga, is wrong!
I dont care about the Amiga name any more!
PANCAKES!!!!

PosterThread
Dandy 
Re: [Poll] Amiga Branded PC
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 7:32:16
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Dandy

And what exactly do you think makes a x86 machine running Darwin an Apple Macintosh?

Nothing.
Don't know where you got this idea from - the only "Darwin" I know is Charles Darwin.

Did not know up to now you can run Charles Darwin on an x86 nowadays.
Did someone recently convert his remains into an executable x86-program?

Furthermore I have never touched an Apple Macintosh, nor ever claimed an x86 was an Apple Macintosh.

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 7:35:38
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects

---

Apple Macintosh has changed it's CPU ISA from 68K to PowerPC to X86, yet it's still a Macintosh.

Last edited by Hammer on 02-Sep-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 8:24:46
#123 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Dandy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects

---

Apple Macintosh has changed it's CPU ISA from 68K to PowerPC to X86, yet it's still a Macintosh.

Thanks for clearing this up and providing the link - interesting read.

Dandy

polka. 
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 10:31:33
#124 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:
And any x86 is not an Apple computer

So this is not an Apple computer? Is this what you are telling us?

number6 
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 22:03:45
#125 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Newish link from a few hours ago:

PCWorld

toRus 
Posted on 2-Sep-2010 22:19:32
#126 ]

Crap.

Wodenhelm 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 1:38:07
#127 ]

"Commodore USA" = scam.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 2:11:48
#128 ]

@Wodenhelm

Are you sure?

If they secured these 2 trademarks(and are going for a third) why would they be interested in scamming? IMHO, they obviously invested serious money(lawyers, documentation + trademark rights) and time just to scam us? I don't get it...

Sure, for now it's vapourware but that doesn't mean they are scamming anyone... It's their money to lose, afterall

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 2:46:03
#129 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Are you sure?

If they secured these 2 trademarks(and are going for a third) why would they be interested in scamming? IMHO, they obviously invested serious money(lawyers, documentation + trademark rights) and time just to scam us? I don't get it...

Sure, for now it's vapourware but that doesn't mean they are scamming anyone... It's their money to lose, afterall

truthfully, no one knows at this point. for now we can only take it at face value. but the behavior up until now has been questionable. for example, take barry's claim about constructing and designing NOCs for people like viacom, the UN, MTV, etc.

try and google the companies he listed: "cabletech satellite systems, inc., US cable technology, inc., cabletech satellite network, and united broadcasting company." anyone want to guess what comes up with those companies and barry's name? nothing. well, except where his commodore press releases have been quoted.

so that's strike one.

then try looking into his corporate past, for example. cabletech did exist, we know that. it was dissolved in 1997. then apparently it reopened as a delaware corporation with a florida address. dissolved by the state after paperwork wasn't filed in 2001.

then he got into 'corporate executive recruitment' with two companies with variants on the name of 'corporate search, intl.' one of the companies had its status revoked by florida in 2003, again failure to file proper paperwork. no problem, reopened under a similar name. dissolved in 2005.

barry was also was vice president of harmony services (the president was one harold altman, a frequent business partner) for a while. that was dissolved in 2004.

then the furniture empire blossomed. manager of international home furnishings, along with harold again; the company dissolved in 2004. around which time homecraft, LLC, was born and operates out of the same house where commodore USA operates.

now. all of these companies were probably perfectly legitimate. and firms closing and reopening later isn't terribly rare. but it's the same pattern, again and again. we can't seem to find anything to verify his claims on his industry experience whatever -- and all of these other companies opening, running for a while with relatives as employees, closing, reopening, etc., etc.

just doing due diligence here, guys. check it out for yourself, come to your own conclusions. i don't think barry is a scammer. i think what we've seen with commodore USA so far, combined with past history, suggests a guy trying hard but just out of his depths. at least, that's the only conclusion i'm willing to draw just yet.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:50 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 2:57:40
#130 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
i think what we've seen with commodore USA so far, combined with past history, suggests a guy trying hard but just out of his depths. at least, that's the only conclusion i'm willing to draw just yet.

well, my conclusion is that at least he has succeeded in getting 2 brands together and while doing that also made the right decision of going x86 which makes him, IMHO, officially the smartest guy who invested in official amiga hardware in many years.

Also it means he probably has a solid financial background, which is, IMO, the single most important thing if he wants to pull it off since he got the basics right.

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 3:01:58
#131 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
well, my conclusion is that at least he has succeeded in getting 2 brands together and while doing that also made the right decision of going x86 which makes him, IMHO, officially the smartest guy who invested in official amiga hardware in many years.

Also it means he probably has a solid financial background, which is, IMO, the single most important thing if he wants to pull it off since he got the basics right.

agreed. as can be divined from my posts on the subject over the past few days, i'm not real pleased with his business, er, tactics to date. but the idea is certainly sound and a potential money-maker. i don't know if he does have a solid financial background, actually, but it doesn't matter. he's struck nostalgia gold here. if he/they can pull himself/themselves together, get a decent site, a decent product, decent PR people, and a decent sales infrastructure he could go far.

the only thing that can stop him is mickey mouse antics like plagiarism of other people's works and IP.

who knows, in a year, even i might have bought a new 'commodore.' i doubt it, but it's possible.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:02 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 3:06:58
#132 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
but the idea is certainly sound and a potential money-maker

If they get it right, a certain money maker.

IMHO, the biggest plus in all of this is that he showed that it is possible to unite these 2 brands again and have a viable business plan(I'm talking about hardware, not his style or background). Even if he fails for one reason or another, there's no reason somebody couldn't just buy him off and continue...

persia 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 4:55:16
#133 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Not necessarily a money maker if he intends to stick with only retro styling. The retro market is not huge and it's fragmented. He needs some more practical machines for the non-retro crowd.

persia 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 4:55:31
#134 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Not necessarily a money maker if he intends to stick with only retro styling. The retro market is not huge and it's fragmented. He needs some more practical machines for the non-retro crowd.

dIGIMAN 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 7:37:40
#135 ]

If it would be a preinstalled AROS Machine,
i might be ok but i think they never would do that.

Commodore always showed up with strange Hardware after their death in 94.

Lets see if this is not just another vapor product.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for a Pegasos 2? I am selling one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160476113031&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

clusteruk 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 7:47:49
#136 ]

Just imagine what Pascal and I could do with the Commodore Amiga brand, (goes into dream land)

Hats off to C=USA for getting these brands, but right now what is needed is an imaginative design for an x86 based PC and not these AIO computers. Am I correct in assuming they only have the brands for AIO computers.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 8:09:26
#137 ]

@clusteruk

AIO still covers a lot of ground... tablets, netbooks, laptops, retroboxes, possibly something like iMac. Mobile market is the fastest growing one right one. If they could tap into it they could sell a nice number of machines.

clusteruk 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 8:31:33
#138 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

All they need are the drivers I guess to make all of this happen. Looking forward to see their development of these drivers start and for allowing all to use.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 8:43:19
#139 ]

@clusteruk

What they need the drivers for? You mean for AROS?

Well, I have to be honest. I'm not a hard core amiga or commodore user. My first computer was C64 and my second a A500. After that, I went the PC way because they were getting better then amiga. Frankly, I don't see much value in AROS or any other Amiga related OS(Syllable, DragonFly BSD, Haiku OS, MorphOS). They all seem pretty much the same to me, that is, no users and nowhere to go. I mean, if I want to run amiga software on my PC why go thru all the trouble of supporting a different OS when I can just install an emulator?

If they want to go the AROS route, it's their money to burn... Frankly, I'd just stick with linux and, if sales permit, do a linux distribution and Commodore-only applications.

Theavenger 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 12:41:11
#140 ]

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:
And any x86 is not an Apple computer

So this is not an Apple computer? Is this what you are telling us?

That is a Mac but this is not. You know now the difference?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle