Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  13 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 Karlos:  44 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  49 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  to BigBentheAussie
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: to BigBentheAussie
Posted on 30-Oct-2010 23:21:40
#81 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

My Dell Studio XPS 1645 (Q2 2010) and Sony Vaio VGN-FW45 laptops (back in 2008) are not cheap.

Mainstream PC owners are willing to spend $$$, only if it delivers the features they want i.e. performance and mobility.

Luckily, I still have my old ASUS G1SN (2007, Intel Merom/SantaRosa, NVIDIA Geforce 9500M GS (G84M)) laptop with for IcAROS. NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver seems to be working...

Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 30-Oct-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
eniacfoa 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 17:41:15
#82 ]

@phoenixkonsole

In the not too distant future, MAYBE with next version of windows from what ive read, there is technology coming that will allow windows to boot in about 5 - 7 seconds. Im sure MAC OS will be using the same tech...I cant remember the exact details, but I think it was something intel is adding to mobo's in the near future.

Raving on about how quick AROS or AOS can boot is just futile because it doesnt mean much to users, I can wait 30 secs for a better OS thanks. I also barely turn my pc off...so its always on and always ready anyway. Its just a silly stat to say - 'oh look! we have something better than MS or apple!' and it reeeeeks of desperation.

I want AROS to succeed like you, but its moving pretty slow in a fragmented amiga community many whom would rather pay over 3000 USD for a PPC machine that doesnt even equate to a $273 USD i3 - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEL-CUSTOM-DUAL-i3-530-CUSTOM-BAREBONE-NEW-/350406674108?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5195dd86bc#ht_9122wt_1139 to run an OS that cant even use the full potential of that outrageously over priced system. It is utter insanity. Pay OVER 10 times more to get way less...Only in amiga land lol...

http://ozconspiracyhouse.myfastforum.org

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 17:55:01
#83 ]

@eniacfoa
Well what about this:
vesalia

Trust me, buy the Geforce and you have a perfect AROS system. While others have problem with SATA or Sound, Lan, Gallium.... this works.

The Ares2 is also developed with connections to AMD embedded....
The concept is easy:

+

Also the Ares2 will have AROS in its ROM so it is available by just pressing "power on".

You can do it now too...
http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
At least if your Mainboard is supported and you buy a larger ROM.

BTW:
AROS is not missing much and most of this is coming.
Printing
Writing (docX)
DTP (Pagestream)
Presentations
Recording, watching DVB
Video-Editing

Every bit brings new user and with the app-broawer appstore we can attract more developers too.

The CDTV remake (inofficial) placed as what Pandora is for handhelds will bring also some talented people to code/port things to AROS.

2009 we had a big snow ball call AROS, 2010 we had nearly an avalanche...
2011 we will have a monster of an avalanche.
Call me just enthusiastic but i now more than you ; ) (regarding what is happening!)

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 31-Oct-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 31-Oct-2010 at 06:00 PM.

eniacfoa 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 18:03:41
#84 ]

To Big Ben...

Im a bit surprised you guys didnt want to cough up a measly 1K for drivers...then claim it was being held ransom...

I was one of the guys defending you saying, let it play out before you crucify CUSA.

I know your a startup and everything...but uhh...its just not a lot of money, ransoms are usually a lot more mate...you really did shoot yourself in the foot this time in the amiga community. Now even x86 supporters are walking...

IF your going to use the amiga name - then you should have plans to incorporate something amigan into your product. Im all for x86 amiga's - if you at least have plans for helping to developing AROS in the future...you obviously dont...

1 measly little K big ben...un-bloody-believable...how do you sleep at night?

kolla 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 18:05:25
#85 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Hopefully a spell checker is in the plans as well?

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 18:09:07
#86 ]

@kolla
LOL
Well we are working in germany and talk just german, everything is fine ; )
But hey i am not too bad! You should talk with chinese partners... a nightmare, even for me.

eniacfoa 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 18:42:03
#87 ]

@phoenixkonsole

looks ok and everything, But I personally prefer to just put together an AROS system myself since I know what im doing in that regard. Maybe if I was in germany...im betting shipping to australia is not cheap...but I like what your doing.
CUSA could have and should have done something similar...

Last edited by eniacfoa on 31-Oct-2010 at 06:50 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 18:53:05
#88 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

eniacfoa wrote:
To Big Ben...

Im a bit surprised you guys didnt want to cough up a measly 1K for drivers...then claim it was being held ransom...

I was one of the guys defending you saying, let it play out before you crucify CUSA.

I know your a startup and everything...but uhh...its just not a lot of money, ransoms are usually a lot more mate...you really did shoot yourself in the foot this time in the amiga community. Now even x86 supporters are walking...

IF your going to use the amiga name - then you should have plans to incorporate something amigan into your product. Im all for x86 amiga's - if you at least have plans for helping to developing AROS in the future...you obviously dont...

1 measly little K big ben...un-bloody-believable...how do you sleep at night?

+ 1...I hate to see AROS give even a penny to AI but CUSA can at least help out AROS ..I mean honestly people that will pay money to have Amiga on the case should at least be exposed to an Amiga inspired OS included with the system !

CUSA...working together with AROS can only be a good thing for you in the eyes of the 'community'

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

clusteruk 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 19:46:52
#89 ]

Can I say, regardless of the issues that have been raised, I want C=USA to be a success even if they do include Windows on there new Commodore Amiga products.

This is because the owners who remember the brand will be looking for an OS to at least dual boot and Aros is closing the gap to be a full user experience regardless what some people think.

All I hope is that they have ION chips to give an amazing Amiga experience with Aros.

I hope we can move on from this and Commodore USA can find a way to support the Amiga brand rebuilding which all of the Amiga flavours are constantly involved in and now Commodore USA can put in another the part of the jigsaw with maybe some marketing money.

Steve

Nimrod 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 21:15:41
#90 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:

I hope we can move on from this and Commodore USA can find a way to support the Amiga brand rebuilding which all of the Amiga flavours are constantly involved in and now Commodore USA can put in another the part of the jigsaw with maybe some marketing money.

Steve

Having read the posts from BBtA and Barry, it looks to me as if the only way AROS will ever get on to a new CommodeUSA machine is if Micro$oft bundle it with Windows8. Assuming, of course that CommodeUSA product changes from photoshop artwork to functional hardware.

Arko 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 22:17:23
#91 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
Can I say, regardless of the issues that have been raised, I want C=USA to be a success even if they do include Windows on there new Commodore Amiga products.

I don't know if C=USA has an exclusive license. Some other companies may get the idea to sell Amiga branded PCs. Maybe there are some people with more honest ideas about AROS and AmigaOID OSes, it could bring some money new hardware and even new developers and users to the Amiga community. (/optimistic)

Now something different:

ClusterUK, Phoenixconsole:

Why not asking Amiga Inc. for a name license ? If C=USA doesn't have an exclusive license you could get this license too, maybe it will be cheaper if you only ask for a license for a brand name with an additional word: Amiga86, AmigaROS , AROSAmiga, OpenAmiga, ... as long as you don't ask for AmigaONE it should not be a problem.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

zerohero 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 22:59:41
#92 ]
Team Member

@phoenixkonsole

I think this thread has run its course, no? Start another thread with a more appropriate topic to continue.

Locking this one and forgetting it ever existed.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle