Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  6 mins ago
 Massi:  6 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 V8:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 utukku:  3 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  News on the X1000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Amiga_3k 
Re: News on the X1000
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 21:24:25
#221 ]
Cult Member

Ah well... THE most important thing is, the X1000 is going to be available, at a price not everyone is willing / capable to pay. The ones capable and willing for sure will have something special on their desk and maybe... just a tiny maybe... less expensive X1000 compatibles follow...

Off Topic: The RX7 was / is indeed a nice little, different car.

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 21:29:05
#222 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:
Chick an egg paradigma. How the hell do you want the software support hardware if hardware is not avaliable. You need a SMP motherboard first for the software to support it

How important the SMP support for OS4 really is?
Hyperion could have bought a few dual CPU boards and develop a SMP capable kernel if really needed or wanted.
I think resources spent on X1000, both on hardware and software side, were maybe more needed on the software side - i.e. USB 2/3 support, Wi-Fi, Office Suite, 3D support... hell, maybe even some deeper changes and updates to the OS itself.

persia 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 21:32:12
#223 ]

@pavlor

Well the don't just sit there do something approach is fraught with it's own perils. A north of ₤1500 machine that has specs of X86 machines far less that a fifth the price and then can't even use those specs may not be following the best wisdom.

A nice ₤300 netbook (and there were and are such PPC machines) could bring some people back. The days of one computer per household are long past, I've lost count of the tablets, netbooks, laptops and desktops I have around the house. A machine for those of us who LIKE AmigaOS rather than one for those who have lust in their hearts for one.

I want to buy an OS 4 machine, but nostalgia has to compete with all the cutting edge stuff out there for my money. I'm willing to pay an AmigaOS premium but but the X1000 far exceeds any reasonable premium I am willing to pay.

realize 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 21:44:58
#224 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
How important the SMP support for OS4 really is?

Os4 doenst even have usb2 yet and you guys expect SMP on amiga system?

wawa 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 22:35:04
#225 ]
Elite Member

@Daniel
Quote:

@wawa

Quote:

@Daniel

of course. only the comparison doesnt fit.

Please elaborate.

i have already elaborated it enough. please search my posts above and read them. im tired to troll.

Antique 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 22:51:50
#226 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

This and the sam460 gave os4 pci-e support for once. And they wanted dual core amiga,so they can make smp support for it. Since practically all new hw comes as dual core,it would be nice to use them or???

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 23:03:41
#227 ]

@Antique

Yes, much of the new CPUs are multicore.
But I stand by my point. It really isn't a force multiplier for OS4. It doesn't really matter how many cores it can run if there are no apps that would benefit from it. I would also add that things like USB 2/3 support, Wi-Fi and Gallium 3D are much more needed then AMP/SMP.

OS4 is light and fast and will run OK on much slower and cheaper HW without the need for multiple core CPUs.

We'll see what plays out. Up until now I was more then unimpressed with the speed of updates and new features appearing on OS4. If this "speed" continues in the future, I see no need for X1000 because too much time will pass between the X1000 launch and OS4 supporting X1000-specific features.

The key is not so much the hardware but the software and software support for the hardware. Things like USB 2.0, new shell, Wi-Fi, modern 3D support should have been out ages ago. But they're not. This makes me rather sceptical of the X1000 chances.

AliveMOon 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 23:10:26
#228 ]

So should you, or it should be.

X86 machine should not be prepared.
For everyone have!

AmigaOne X1000, to develop OS4!
Software can be prepared to exists hardware!

Please stop the flame, is meaningless.
Then he says, if you know build cheaper hardware for AmigaOS4

I'm here I want to read about the X1000!

Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Things I want to buy:
An accelerator card for my A2000

sundown 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 23:46:03
#229 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
It doesn't really matter how many cores it can run if there are no apps that would benefit from it.

Blender...

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-Mar-2011 23:49:47
#230 ]

@sundown

So, one app... that would run xx% faster on a dual core system(depending whether AMP or SMP, in some cases depends on the apps themselves). Is it worth it since OS4 was never and will never be the weapon of choice for animation/graphics industry? I guess it's both yes or no depending on where your position is, whether your OS4 machine is your only PC or not.

djrikki 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 0:26:01
#231 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Please stop trolling every thread with your nonsense.

realize 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 1:16:45
#232 ]

@djrikki

Hmm i dont consider what wolf is saying as trolling when its all basically true what he says.

AliveMOon 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 1:19:11
#233 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

I think this machine will be taken not only Amigans.
This is a perfect addition to XMos and Linux developers, and Easy ways to get to know AmigaOS4.

Only Windows is not running on it
All other have for AmigaOS or Linux.

Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Things I want to buy:
An accelerator card for my A2000

tommywright 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 1:55:46
#234 ]

@persia

Quote:
I want to buy an OS 4 machine, but nostalgia has to compete with all the cutting edge stuff out there for my money. I'm willing to pay an AmigaOS premium but but the X1000 far exceeds any reasonable premium I am willing to pay.

It's funny that when I started looking at this forum a year ago, I used to think Persia was just a hater... but now I agree with most everything he says. I had no idea these computers (when they were announced) were going to cost this much.

At a time I thought, well I'm not paying that for the x1000 so I'll look at the sam460. The motherboard alone on that thing cost over $1000. To put it in comparison, the highest end gaming board you can buy today cost less than half that.... and the 460 is the "low end" solution? Too rich for my blood boys.

BCP 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 1:56:27
#235 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

"SAMs are not really something I'd call cheap. Maybe in Amiga terms, but not generally. Sam460 is expensive by any measure, 1000+ euros for a complete system with that specs."

So? A good quality X86 desktop and especially a good quality notebook can easily cost that much or more. My last 3 notebooks have each been over a $1000 U.S. dollars. The Sam boards apparently are will made and presumably the X1000 will be also. If AmigaOS4.1 and later versions "feel" faster than Vista & Windows 7 on a 2ghz i7 for everyday tasks than I really don't care if Amiga compatable hardware is lower speced. Also, taking inflation into account the Sam 460 and the X1000 are still much cheaper than a new A3000 or A4000 were.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

T-J 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 2:58:22
#236 ]
Cult Member

@realize

Quote:
Hmm i dont consider what wolf is saying as trolling when its all basically true what he says.

Multiprocessing is a waste of effort? Really?

I'm not entirely sure what WTTM means by 'deeper changes and updates to the OS itself', if he doesn't mean that sort of thing. Multicore processing sounds like a good excuse to give the deepest levels of the OS an overhaul to me. And of course, his other suggestions? Perhaps he means that some effort should be put towards something like MESA 3D, or perhaps a Firefox and OpenOffice port?

kindergip 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 3:52:13
#237 ]

@persia

You write:

"I want to buy an OS 4 machine, but nostalgia has to compete with all the cutting edge stuff out there for my money. I'm willing to pay an AmigaOS premium but but the X1000 far exceeds any reasonable premium I am willing to pay."

The X1000 is the high end Amiga. Back in the day that would have been a kitted out A2000, A3000T or an A4000T. Ya, a PicassoIV, Warp Engine with 128M or a CSPPC 128M/scsi3/CVPPC, no one could afford those back then either. But people did, even though there were 486's, PIII's and then P4's.

First off, OS4 can run on the AmigaOne's and Micro's. I know I payed $1100 for my micro and loved it to death for four years, I sold it at half price to a friend rather than recovering almost the original price at auction.

I bought an AmigaOneXE so that I could run OS4 with 2G of RAM and a 128M 9250 when it was updated. Again, even used it was $1000 + RAM and GFX card.

Then there is the ACube 440 flex if you want your nostalgia or you could bump up to the 460EX when it is released.

But if you want to be there for the move to SMP in a uniquely Amiga way along with a little weirdness there is indeed a high premium. No amount of cajoling, whinging or pleading is going to change that fact. No cost reductions are in sight. This is a hobby project by enthusiasts who are putting their money where their desires are. They are willing to pay a premium to receive a premium level machine. It's a one off. The next successor will be based on yet another chip.

And I can't say this often enough, reread what Alan Redhouse said when he and Eyetech left off after trying to make a go of the AmigaOne and Micro.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2339

Anyone who says it should match economies of scale with cloneland is simply trolling.

Anyone who says it should match current levels of technology with multicores is also just trolling. Look how long it has taken Windows to do it right.

Anyone who thinks it should be done their way needs to persuade some VC to fund that and then try and make real world schedules while demonstrating their unique business acumen to take over an Apple sized portion of the market.

I joined a team I have confidence in. I can wait. I can also pay and afford to lose what I pay. This in a world where a 16G quad core costs $800 to put together and yet here I am anteing up to play this round of Amiga history.

sundown 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 5:27:00
#238 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
So, one app...

Other apps will come...

Please be aware that what I like to do & on what platform is not & never will be the same as yours. Contrary to what others think, os4 users are not dumb & most have a windows pc on the side. You & others get labeled trolls here because you keep shoving your choices down our throats instead of letting us enjoy our choice. We're all well aware there are other options & our choice carries a high price, but quit telling us we should be driving a Ford because you do.

No intent to flame you, but you & others need to stop with the x86 vs ppc crap, its getting old & its off topic.

Last edited by sundown on 12-Mar-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:34:56
#239 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@sundown

+1

I for one am sick of these Morons. Most of us are not interested in their personal opinions or reasons but they still keep spamming them on our topics in an attempt to kill off the buzz surrounding any OS4 related subject.

Stop whining, if you don’t like the hardware keep it to yourself, DON'T POST IN THE FORUMS ABOUT IT AND CONSTANTLY SPAM YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT IT it is off topic and annoying.

I can't wait for the X1000 to be released, it will have pride of place alongside my PC, one day perhaps it might even replace it. (Before you scoff at that naysayers, that statement is relevant to ME and what I do with computers, It had NOTHING to do with YOU or what YOUR irrelevant opinions are)

BillE 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:35:13
#240 ]

@realize

Quote:

I do.

Basically he has made it clear that he is not interested in buying an X1000. Fair enough, his decision. So why doesn't he buy a PC, install Windows and be happy with it.

What I do not understand is why he and others like him have to keep butting into threads that are obviously of no interest to them.

They are obviously happy with x86 hardware so why don't they pollute some Windows forums instead. See how long they last there !

Basically these people just come to wind folk up, nothing else, and the moderators for some inexplicable reason allow it

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle