Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  9 secs ago
 amigang:  8 mins ago
 eliyahu:  10 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  16 mins ago
 billt:  22 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 saimon69:  59 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OK.. So X1000 Beta Boards out Where is the Screenshots/PICS????
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: OK.. So X1000 Beta Boards out Where is the Screenshots/PICS????
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 17:06:39
#141 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

And here I was thinking this community was all about the bickering now?

community perhaps not, but certainly this site is.
if we are going to lock the thread because of it, you could most likely close the site as well.

Profile     Report this post  
Spectre660 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 17:10:46
#142 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Some one answer these questions for me please

(1) Does OS 4.1 (up to update 3) run on the X1000 ? (I think yes)
(2) Will the x1000 ship with OS 4.1 or OS 4.2 ? (Announced as OS 4.2)
(3) What would the core developers be working on now ? ( I think OS 4.2)
(4) Will there be another batch of X1000 after the Beta tester batch but before OS 4.2 is ready ? (I think no)

zerohero 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 17:37:54
#143 ]
Team Member

@wawa

Quote:
community perhaps not, but certainly this site is.

I haven't seen much else, where people were able to chose for themselves.

vox 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 17:41:58
#144 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

You think well. Based on what we know:

(1) Likely yes (since its publicly presented with OS 4.1.2), but see 2
(2) Yes, it will be shipped with OS 4.2 (which can mean more waiting)
which will use RadeoHD, dual core etc. unlikely for OS 4.1
(3) Seems OS 4.1.3 needs just to be compiled and realised, so development is shifting towards OS 4.2
(4) No, goal of beta testing is to get 4.1.3 and 4.2 (AmigaOS anyway) running
stable on X1000 before release, Linux kernel is already ported and tested

So more waiting, but also more pleasure, and what is most important
advancement in OS so it will look better with high end machine

Since serious updates are promised on previous AmiWest (what we assume OS 4.2 will have: 3D in RadeonHD via Gallium, SMP ...) would not hope for X1000 public realise
before late automn or even Xmas.

Major question unresolved with OS 4.1.3. are will RadeonHD
support 3D and will audio driver for SAM 460

HenryCase 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 17:45:46
#145 ]
Cult Member

@realize
Quote:
realize wrote:
You were quite insulting and rude with the "advice"

I would have thought you'd have developed a thicker skin by now, considering the amount of vitriol you seem happy to spew out (can't take what you give out it seems). However, if you're saying that you're a little more delicate than I gave you credit for then I'll bear that in mind when discussing things with you in the future.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 18:05:45
#146 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

I haven't seen much else, where people were able to chose for themselves.

why? utilitybase was cool to visit as long it lasted, pity there is no such place anymore. aorg may consists of *****ing to certain extent, though it even may be entertaining, the rest is sane discussion. eab is good site if 68k biased. amigans is where os4 users have their peace... plenty else to name. for me its news on aros dev ml, as im following aros68k, and mostly private mails otherwise. why would i ever write or read mails that consist of insults?? its only attention issue, i suppose.

Last edited by wawa on 23-Aug-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 18:10:27
#147 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Indeed it is important not to over hype the X1000 in the early days but to bring back the wizardry and awe of the Amiga at shipping time.

Toaks 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 18:33:35
#148 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Also just because so called 'beta testers" are getting boards (though not one person has claimed to have one yet) that does not mean it will be avail as a normal user product any time soon. [/quote]

i really loved this comment, a very nice way of trolling.

anyway here goes, everyday i hear about people who say they have one (they don't).
See what i did there?

which part of NDA don't you understand?

The NDA from hyperion and the X1k is pretty strict and they should be too as others have mentioned.

I feel sorry for people who are beeing left in the dark atm, but things will be shown and announced when its time for sure.

The only NDA that i have ever signed where i was actually allowed to tell people that i was a part of the team was the first contract on Playstation 3, they altered the NDA pretty fast for several reasons.

Beta testers in real world are sometimes paid indeed, you're absolutely right about that but for instance small companies on the ps3 for instance doesn't pay theyre betatesters for that job per se as they use the Q&A service that Sony provides.
OS4 , AROS and morphos testers would all be paid money if it possible to recoup it somehow.

other than that, this is the best thread you've done on here and while there is bickering from both you and various others i still think its quite calm and most here (including you) have valid points that should be addressed in one way or another, but, only when the time is right (amiwest?, etc).

Mechanic 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 18:45:04
#149 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

anyway here goes, everyday i hear about people who say they have one (they don't).
See what i did there?

The NDA that I have allows me to say that I don't have one, but I............

wawa 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 19:04:26
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

Quote:

which part of NDA don't you understand?

if you were asking me, id say, i dont understand neither N, nor D.
the only reason i can think of that would explain this kind of restriction would be some deal or agreement between vasys/a-eon/hyperion which would make a project like x1k possible in first place. i think it is likely, and if this applies it is likely that there will be no statements nor explanations, so all we can do is shut up and wait.

Quote:

Beta testers in real world are sometimes paid indeed, you're absolutely right about that but for instance small companies on the ps3 for instance doesn't pay theyre betatesters for that job per se as they use the Q&A service that Sony provides.
OS4 , AROS and morphos testers would all be paid money if it possible to recoup it somehow.

still, demanding payment *from-a-betatester* is quite unique, isnt it?
even though i actually understand it was neccessary to fund the project.
nevertheless i regard the project that is based on funds like that as pretty risky. and btw, let me assure, testing aros doesnt require any payments, you can test it on hardware you own anyway (in my case- my amigas), similar would apply to morphos i suppose.

the problem is, whatever reason for nda, the silence around the project creates a vacuum that just asks to be filled with some content. the curiosity met by ignorance lets people to grasp whatever means they may see available to provoke an answer/reaction, whatever. so it leads to threads like this, eventually spreading misconception even further. i dont know if this is good politics, but obviously none of us can do anything about it.

hotrod 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 19:26:46
#151 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Who do you think that you're helping? Who do you think are feeling helped by anything that you write?

Hahahahaha, reading this topic is such a waste of time.

Mechanic 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 19:31:22
#152 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:

So, if you were doing this project, you would simply send motherboards
to whoever, from wherever, at no cost to them and with no document to
protect your unreleased product nor your company's now or future
reputation.

You must have some very good people in low places.

Quote:

even though i actually understand it was neccessary to fund the project.

Who gave you that official information?

P.S. If A-eon had sent the boards to Underwriters Laboratories
for testing they would have indeed paid. Dearly.

Toaks 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 19:46:44
#153 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Toaks

i will answer just this sentence right now but i'll return later for the rest of your post.

i really don't know where you got that information from, i mean, it's not unique at all really, yes on PC it's not like that for the normal crowd etc.

i'll bring expertise in from the console area, the devkit's made for older hardware (and new actually) costs insane amounts of money, the devkits are always beta and even alpha stuff for the first years (look at PS3 for instance, it took nearly 3 years (after the release of the starter devkits and sdk) before it wasn't a beta anymore.
Even today they push out new kits.
But yes indeed, devkits on consoles etc can be recouped pretty fast unless its some real shoddy product that youre pushing out.

other than that, i thought World of warcraft was paying beta customers?, i might be wrong...

wawa 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:18:44
#154 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

okay guys, let me recapitalize:
if you have developed a new technical device or product of whatever sort, it is a common practice to ask potential testers for a payment or deposit in advance to be accepted as tester? okay. i didnt know that.

let me repeat that i actually understand aeon/hyperion asking for a deposit here, since it is at least neccessary to check for real interest, and especially in this small "market" developing and producing an _estimated_ number of expensive hardware in hope that somene might possibly buy it all would be pure lunacy.

btw, im certain developers currently getting natami boards do refund thomas for his costs. i cannot imagine how it could be handled differently. but i dont think these guys are to sign any confidential papers, if they did it would surely be answered with a burst of laughter, as when playing shop in sandbox your friend would ask you for real money.

Framiga 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:30:01
#155 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

without this kind of scheme, do you know how many " iwannabe betatester" would have jumped to that wagon?

IMHO in this way only who's truly interested/selected and up to the job, joined (and i think accepted) to this particular beta scheme.

and then ... whats about the first AmigaOne/Teron production? weren't the customers all "betatesters"?

vox 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:46:16
#156 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@vox

Indeed it is important not to over hype the X1000 in the early days but to bring back the wizardry and awe of the Amiga at shipping time.

Even with all the delays and craze, Amiga(One) brand could be known as "All good things take time" (especially when developed by small players in globalized world).

However, beside uniqueness of PA Semi first and last desktop board and first board to go with programmable CPU (XMOS) and possibility to add more, certainly good thing is decision to go with oS 4.2

Imagine how many complains would be if it was shipped by now with OS 4.1.2 and all its inablities to use 3D on RadeonHD, no OpenGL, single core, USB 1.0 ...

wawa 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:47:58
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Framiga
Quote:

without this kind of scheme, do you know how many " iwannabe betatester" would have jumped to that wagon?

IMHO in this way only who's truly interested/selected and up to the job, joined (and i think accepted) to this particular beta scheme.

and then ... whats about the first AmigaOne/Teron production? weren't the customers all "betatesters"?

right, probably about everybody here would volunteer. perhaps its really better today that its only the people with enough money to spend who carry all the risk.

vox 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:49:48
#158 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Toaks

okay guys, let me recapitalize:
if you have developed a new technical device or product of whatever sort, it is a common practice to ask potential testers for a payment or deposit in advance to be accepted as tester? okay. i didnt know that.

Well, yes, this might be unique, but don`t forget that people will get the board and OS about half price with ability to contribute to development of AmigaOS 4.2 for it ...

In a small market, seems that was only way to go and at the same time get beta testing and also, don`t forget, base of future developers and demonstrators.

Its a good bargain, and believe many people would wish if such offer was extended beyond 200 or so ...

Those who did made a deposit don`t seem to be complaining.

Framiga 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 20:56:56
#159 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Framiga
Quote:

right, probably about everybody here would volunteer. perhaps its really better today that its only the people with enough money to spend who carry all the risk.

i really hope with adeguate skills and some (if not a lot) spare time other than money!

amigang 
Posted on 23-Aug-2011 21:20:40
#160 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

Its little things like this that annoy me, they didn't demand anything, people made their choice and where told of the costs and what they where signing up to. I didn't want to be a beta tester due to the fact firstly I wouldn't be a very good one any way, will be much more of an end user, plus I didn't like the fact of a NDA or customer rights protection wouldn't apply so I decided to not even apply for it, as it wasn't for me, obviously it is for people who can really help with bugs tracking, coding and believe in the project and are ok with such policies. I really hope they will be enjoying their machine soon and can iron out all them bugs for us end users.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle