Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  29 mins ago
 Karlos:  41 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  54 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  59 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Sick of it..... Realy !
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
hotrod 
Re: Sick of it..... Realy !
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 4:45:08
#61 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

To be fair AROS are behanind both AOS 4 and MOS. I've used it and it doesn't do it for me, not yet anyway.

I don't look at Hyperion or AEON that way. They make something at a cost, add on money to make something from whatever they sell like any other business on this planet. That's how it works and that is why it's commersial. It's just that the Amiga situation is that bad, the reason for high prices. Not many enough are buying it. And so on... it's all been talked about here and at other places before.

But if you look at what you get from the X1000 for the price (whatever it will be but probably expensive) it will cost I don't think that it will be worth it either if you're short on money. For me it's like this, I will get a computer that runs AOS 4 faster than it does on my A1. It will have Gaillium 3D which I guess will come during the 4.2 lifetime. I will be able to watch fullhd movies through a HDMI port on the graphicscard which is something that I want to be able to do. It will do all this through AOS 4 which is very nice if you like Amigas.

Will that be enough? No, not to me. Not unless I got lots of money and can buy anything I want but if I have to choose, it won't be.

On the other hand it might offer more than we know right now. There might come an Office package. They might port CUPS and support tons of printers and allow network printing. There might be an awesome game released. Timberwolf might be great and so on...

You don't really know. So... it's best to relax, watch, wait and if you get excited, save up some the money and buy one . If not buy whatever suits you instead.

Last edited by hotrod on 03-Sep-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Last edited by hotrod on 03-Sep-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Last edited by hotrod on 03-Sep-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
djrikki 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 5:01:45
#62 ]
Elite Member

@metalheart

I sympathise with you dude - it certainly seems that way, download this, download that, a CLI program and a separate GUI program - what not stick the blasted things in the same archive all annoying stuff. I still have font issues with OWB-MUI myself grrrrr.

In regard to Jack, it has come to my attention after numerous emails from folks that I heard from is that Jack definitely relies on AISS objects from v4.11. And guess what - 4.11 is only available on Masons site! I've kindly asked Martin if he can upload it to OS4Depot.net - I wasn't aware that 4.6 was the latest version available on OS4Depot.

So if Jack crashes saying it can't find an icon when trying to open the File Manager or other component I suggest you download AISS from www.masonicons.de and/or pester Martin to update 4.6 on OS4Depot.

Last edited by djrikki on 03-Sep-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Moxee 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 5:32:38
#63 ]
Team Member

@Metalheart

Quote:
I even blew my X1000 money on a new car.

I hear you! I blew my X1000 money on an old pickup truck.

BUT, my X1000 fund is growing again.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Moxee 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 5:40:09
#64 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:

I do find the problem of programs asking for libs that weren't installed annoying though. I recommend that all developers get others (non-developers) to test their apps before releasing, and even to have a clean install partition to test their installers on. It's not hard to make sure that all of the required libs are included.

One would think that they shouldn't have to be prodded into doing that. It should come as natural to them. According to my way of thinking as least.

Moxee 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 6:22:42
#65 ]
Team Member

@ferrels

Quote:

And I do think that AEON and Hyperion are taking advantage of loyal enthusiasts simply because they can.

Boy, you sound like a very bitter person! You must have more issues going on than just this one.

HenryCase 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 9:28:42
#66 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:
ferrels wrote:
I realize that this is a site for Amiga fans, but the current state of Amiga won't improve until all the cheerleading stops and constructive criticism is allowed to be heard.

That's one point of view, here's another: OS4 development is only as fast as it can be with the resources available to Hyperion.

To increase their resources, and therefore speed up development, they need to attract a wider audience. To attract a wider audience, they need to have a product that appeals to a wider audience. Building a product that appeals to a wider audience takes time. To get this time they need people who enjoy the product for what it is today, 'loyalists' if you will.

So you see, the people you attack are the people keeping the game going. Constructive criticism is all well and good, but part of the requirements for criticism to be constructive is an understanding of what better options are available. It's obvious to most people that Hyperion are not a company with massive resources, so they adjust their expectations on development speed accordingly.

If OS4 isn't ready for you now, learn to be patient, find other ways to enjoy being an Amigan (AROS for example), no need to waste your time with negativity if it isn't helping make things better. HTH.

Last edited by HenryCase on 03-Sep-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Last edited by HenryCase on 03-Sep-2011 at 09:29 AM.

vox 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 9:35:08
#67 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

While your points of downsides of OS4 are valid and well known (beside USB 2.0 which works fine now) it doesn`t mean situation is not improving, slowly, but yes, OS grows and is quite much more then 2006 or previous versions.

With the apps - well at least you are able to take joy of each new piece of software and games and watch it improve. Its not yet for high productivity apps, but that was the state of Amiga software companies that just died meanwhile and solely Hyperion can`t pull all the horses. Bright examples of difference are Hoolywood and Page Stream.

You may joke on Hyperion skills, but boot AmigaOS 3.1 in WinUAE and see from how plain wilderness they have started, and real porting started somewhere 2002 to 2004.

OS price is at Windows range, hardware is overpriced, but its so small volumes factory that it`s needed to keep things running and developed - if there was no quite high SAM 440 prices there would be no SAM 460 etc.

Yes, from everyday consumer point of view., not much, but from Amiga side of history, biggest developments so far. SAMs are now availiable for longer time then AmigaOnes were (hardware to buy), AmigaOS is developed faster and with more nodern features and there should be even more hardware coming. Timberwolf will bring modern and comparable browsing, at least.

There should be some realistic criticism, but then should take Amiga developments into account also.

Once X1000 is out, serious thing should be good software.

vox 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 9:38:00
#68 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@hotrod

I agree with you totally. I'm also still an Amiga fan, believe it or not, just not a wealthy one.

And I do think that AEON and Hyperion are taking advantage of loyal enthusiasts simply because they can. It's a shame really, and ultimately Hyperion and AEON will paint themselves into a corner. The number of users will continue to shrink due to high prices, which will only drive the price of new hardware and OS versions higher as well. It's a death spiral and I hate to see the Amiga go down this way.

Also not a wealthy user, but will stick corners not to buy tablets, new smartphones, seven cores PC etc. to support Amiga software and hardware, since its the only way for it to go forward.

Don`t see how Hyperion / A-EON are taking advantage of users. If someone is doing that - might be Microsoft with constant demand for more horsepower. As you can see, latest AmigaOS 4.1.3 works fine on oldest PPC board - first AmigaOne models, even on lower speed SAMs and Classics with proper horsepower (PPC card, RAM, GFX)

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 9:41:37
#69 ]
Elite Member

Did I mention I also couldn't get Samba to work and gave up on it.
On my PC it just worked..... sjjeeeeesssss......

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 9:45:11
#70 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki

Jack now seems to work. Thanks ! apart from that "DH1" is missing message... What is THAT about ?

See what I mean ? sigh...

I'll test more later.

Martin

ps, oh, I wasnt drunk last night, just very tired

gtmooya 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 10:22:25
#71 ]

@Metalheart

MUI OWB is still beta and unfinished so bound to be problematic for some.

Although I've not had quite the same experience, I can see why you are frustrated and why the idea that it is a 'fun' OS would seem like a cruel joke.

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 10:33:35
#72 ]
Elite Member

@gtmooya

How do I get Simplemail to use MUIOWB for HTML mails ?

It used to work with OWB.

@all

Thanks for your understanding, thats one thing about the Amigaworld I realy like. Readyness to help out

Cheers

edit:
Downloaded getvideo 0.30 and now Clipdown works again. (I thought I already had done that.....anyway)

Last edited by Metalheart on 03-Sep-2011 at 10:43 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 10:42:46
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart

Samba sucks on Linux and MacOSX too.
Its slow does not integrate whit cooperate networks, and it’s a hell to configure.

USE FTP OR HTTP!!

We need to do something about file sharing, and it should be possible to make it an integrated part of AmigaOS.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Sep-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 10:50:51
#74 ]

@Metalheart

What do you mean it just worked on the PC? What OS is on the PC? You do know it's built into Windows, right? Samba on any platform is tricky to get working - I don't bother and just use SMBFS to mount network shares on the Amiga.

Of course, there are known issues with Samba and Windows Vista / 7, so maybe that's part of your problem?

I have to echo what many others are saying though... I've had next to no issues with my A1XE and OS4.1 in years. Downloaded update 3 last night, it just worked. Downloaded the new MUI OWB right after, it just worked too. Mind you, I did read the readme file with both, as any dependencies would be listed there... As others have said, are you sure you don't have a hardware issue? Some dodgy RAM or something? That sort of stability on any OS would prompt me to do a reinstall, and if it's still unstable, to look at hardware. AOS, MorphOS, MacOS, Windows, it doesn't matter.

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 10:52:20
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

No, I meant networking just worked on WindowsXP, and my Popcorn mediabox.. Not Samba on PC !

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 11:08:27
#76 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Metalheart

Sorry to hear from the troubles you experience with OS_4.1.

Have you noticed in the threads around here that those guys with absolutely clean OS-partitions experience the least problems, if any at all? Believe it or not, it is the key to a fine experience. If I had time and you living not to far off, I would gladly drop by and help you out.

Maybe it is now the right time to set the whole thing up clean and proper once and for all.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 11:21:00
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Amiga_3k

Quote:
Sometimes, with all OS-es about, it just is needed to do a clean, fresh from scratch re-install. That's computing.
This may be true with mainstreet OS-es, only one springs to mind however, but as we are dealing here with Amiga we should be exempted from such behaviour. Keeping your bootpartition(s) religiously clean from any 3rd parties stuff, and with any I really mean *ANY*, is a tremendous help in achieving this. Another one is to replace prefs and settingsfiles with softlinks. Now you can Lock your OS-partion(s) and NEVER, EVER allow any modification ((((unless you know what you are doing and what is going on)))). This surely helps in keeping your sanity (or what is left of it).

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 11:28:10
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
In fact, my A1-XE is still working reliably despite its reputation as being flaky.
I think a big part of the problems encountered are due to the flaky nature of the A1's in general. The later SAM's are less prone to 'strange and unexpected' behaviour.

My µA1 has an annoying habbit to lock up solid during compilation (and use of OWB 3.nn), requiring a reboot. Sometimes twice a day, sometimes 3 times in five minutes, sometimes not at all... Welcome in the wonderous world of flaky hardware.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 11:29:07
#79 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
Wow! Cars are expensive these days
That one reaaly made my day! Gorgeous, man.

OldFArt

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 11:32:57
#80 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
Snoopy (and SnoopDOS before that) seem to be forgotten these days. Not many bugreports with Snoopy logs attached. Plenty of ho

A tutorial on Snoopy might come in handy. Especially about what all the output means and how it is to be interpreted. A have taken a look at that output and ressembled a monky peeking into a rusty old watch.

OldFart

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle