Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  15 secs ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  20 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 K-L:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 sibbi:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 16 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  6 hrs 43 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  7 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A "Have It Out" thread?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
_Steve_ 
Re: A "Have It Out" thread?
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 21:19:31
#61 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@sundown

I am not really sure about it. AWN used to delete threads, ban users and do some weird things in the past. On the other hand what happened to AWN in last 10 years is the same what happened to #amigaworld.

This comes across almost as one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" affairs. It seems that when moderations takes place, you are berated for it, and when you are more lenient over the same infractions, you are berated again.

In all fairness, I personally think the staff have done a great job of maintaining a semblance of order on here over the years, more so with the number of active staff members we currently have.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 22:09:55
#62 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
AWN used to delete threads, ban users and do some weird things in the past.

Always a judgment call & some posters crossed the line big time & got banned. There is another forum that has zero mods for those who can't stand any control, but it's a joke because of that fact.

Kicko 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 23:25:12
#63 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

Seems you are not following os4 threads much when you say all get along but not os4 users as they have a snobbish way. There is snobbish from different camps. Always the same, blame hyperion, os4, overpricey hardware and also how bad os4 system parts are and how great others are etc. Its more bashing in os4 threads then in others like for example mos threads. I and i know many others congratulate when theres new mos updates, new owb for mos, filesystem update etc. But as soon a os4 thread theres bashing and specially non os4 users. Ofcourse some people are bashing in mos and other threads but not as much as on os4 threads. Some people just love to do that.

So its not like hey all others are going well together except os4 users. I do read alot of threads here, but sometimes i just get so tired at the antios4 so i just dont check some threads for some time even if i would like to.

Just because im an os4 users doesnt mean i praise everything that is os4. For example i would like to have poseidon for os4, i hated the wait for usb2 drivers. I have it now but i got so tired waiting so i use more my windows laptop today. I have owb-mui and im thankfull for the cooperation between os4 and mos coders.

And yes im gonna get X1000, thats normal as i have used my A1G4XE for a long time now and an upgrade would be nice so i get busy trying out what works, what not etc. I like betatesting 3rd party apps.

I also read mos/aros/68k threads of the ones interesting for me. I have winua and aros installed. I use hd-rec both under os4 and on winuae. Winuae is good when im on summervacation. Easier to bring with me laptop then a big machine. Thats why im happy mos users would get laptop support with mos3 :)

If os4 wasnt made i would be a mos user today.

Its ok to make critics but its so boring when some people do it over and over and over.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 23:57:00
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:

@HenryCase

Yeah Bloodline pointed that out to me a wee while back but it really can't do much when you consider the amount of years they've spent on it...

It exists... but not in any real usable format...

the work on 68k port of aros was undertaken only last year, by two most skilled programmers, toni willen, the author of winuae, which speaks for itself, and jason mcmullan an extremly motivated newcomer (who would expect something like that on amiga today?). looking back, the amount of work done in this time by just these both guys is overhelming. i was supporting the aros68k idea all along long before, but have not seen much chance for this, as there was no dedicated devs. seeing how much work it was is stunning me today. im nor seeing this is the "only" future for amiga, but it has definitely not the worst cards atm, even though i would become very concerned if jason quit for some reason (i cannot even imagine where he gets his time and energy to work and commit so much)

itix 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 0:08:41
#65 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_ & sundown

If you really were using this forum ~10 years ago you would know what I am talking about. Just mentioning anything non-OS4 was reason to edit posts and delete threads. Since then all old mods and that old community is gone thankfully. On the other hand it was lot of fun to read AWN back then.

zerohero 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 0:26:33
#66 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:
Since then all old mods and that old community is gone thankfully.

A lot of hard work has been put into changing AmigaWorld.Net from that time. Not everyone appreciates it, but at least it caters for more people today. Sadly the old scars haven't healed yet, we're still fighting the old wars.

To me it's just strange that if I say that AmigaOS 4.x is the real continuation of the old AmigaOS it's somehow implied I think both AROS and MorphOS is bad. Why is that? AROS and MorphOS are both strong enough to stand on their own, and as I said in another post, I would have thought both of those would be happy they were never tied to Amiga Inc. I'm pretty sure MorphOS would have had all kinds of problems, as Hyperion have had, if they had been chosen as OS4 instead. Not saying I think Hyperion is completely free of blame, but we all know the lawsuit took it's toll. I hardly think Ralph Schmidt would have let go of MorphOS sources just like that?

sundown 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 1:10:31
#67 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
If you really were using this forum ~10 years ago you would know what I am talking about.

Ok, I wasn't here that far back, was probably still on Amiga.org back then. After geting an µA1 in early 2005, I switched over to AW as my main site because A.org became anti os4.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 2:47:52
#68 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Maybe you need a break or something. Nigh on every post you make these days seems tainted with a touch of aggression.

And the idea, as I pointed out, was to try to draw arguements away from other places.

HenryCase 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 3:49:19
#69 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
fishy_fis wrote:
@zerohero
Maybe you need a break or something. Nigh on every post you make these days seems tainted with a touch of aggression.

And the idea, as I pointed out, was to try to draw arguements away from other places.

The interesting question for me is, will it ever end?

All threads run their course eventually, but that's not quite what I mean. What I mean is, will this thread allow us all to 'get it out of our system', all the negativity, bitchiness, etc... that goes on here?

I'm not convinced we'll reach such a conclusion, but perhaps it's worth a try.

@All mods
You can move individual posts out of a thread, right? How about this: every time you see an nonconstructive argument developing, move the posts to this thread and send the users each a PM so they know this has happened.

That way you're using a moderate approach; in-between full on deleting posts, and a relaxed approach letting discussions impact the mood of the site. It'll probably be a fair amount of work at first, but users will get the message eventually.

zerohero 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:07:33
#70 ]
Team Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

Good, then people at least should know I am annoyed with their behavior.

Quote:

I know you have good intentions, and that you're not a troublemaker, but this has been done before. First in 2005 I think, and been suggested several times after that. I has never worked. As number6 explained in post #11, it's all about ego.

Hondo 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:14:06
#71 ]

I couldn't care less about MorphOS and AROS - for me they are the same as Linux and MacOS...just not interesting. I want the real official continuation of AmigaOS and I only get that with yeah you guessed it....AMIGA OS!

Furthermore I think that a small bunch of diehard trolls have been deliberately destroying aw.net for years now. And the worst part is they get away with it because of the site's lack of an admin/mod with a backbone.

To sit back and watch a truely nice site as Amigaworld.net being destroyed for years by some trollish AOS haters, is absolutely unforgiveable. I think the administration of this site should be proud of them selves, yihaa - no aos follower feels happy here anymore, and all the important devs don't post here anymore.

It's sad and the only hope we have is that someday someone sees it, and kicks out those lousy scumbags troll haters for ever, or put them in their right place, once and for all.

Sad thing is I don't see it happen anytime soon, but zerohero is finally showing some agression towards them

THERE....I've had it out

Last edited by Hondo on 15-Oct-2011 at 08:14 AM.

HenryCase 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:14:16
#72 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero
Quote:
zerohero wrote:
First in 2005 I think, and been suggested several times after that. I has never worked. As number6 explained in post #11, it's all about ego.

Then don't hide it from the top posts on the home page this time. Problem solved.

zerohero 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:14:19
#73 ]
Team Member

@HenryCase

Quote:
You can move individual posts out of a thread, right?

No, not like that. To my knowledge we can only delete posts, and in doing so deleting every reply to that particular post. We could copy their post and post a reply in another thread, but way to much work for very little gain.

In the end I think we need stricter moderation, at least for now. Many users seem unable to cope with the freedom we have been trying to let them have. This is not something I want, but as it is I see no other choice. If we could let the past be the past, we would be so much better off.

HenryCase 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:17:56
#74 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo
Quote:
Hondo wrote:
To sit back and watch a truely nice site as Amigaworld.net being destroyed for years by some trollish AOS haters, is absolutely unforgiveable.

You could equally say 'destroyed for years by some trollish MOS haters' or 'destroyed for years by some trollish AROS haters'. The point is, it's the behavior that's the issue, not the topic being discussed.

HenryCase 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:25:24
#75 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero
Quote:
zerohero wrote:
No, not like that. To my knowledge we can only delete posts, and in doing so deleting every reply to that particular post. We could copy their post and post a reply in another thread, but way to much work for very little gain.

Ah, in that case it won't be a workable solution.

Quote:
zerohero wrote:
In the end I think we need stricter moderation, at least for now. Many users seem unable to cope with the freedom we have been trying to let them have. This is not something I want, but as it is I see no other choice. If we could let the past be the past, we would be so much better off.

I agree that a change in approach is worth exploring.

The issue with moderation is that it's hard to get the balance right. Reading through posts by the vast majority on this site it seems that the level of moderation is acceptable, simply because these individuals respect the other camps, even if they don't choose to use their OS.

What does tend to happen is you get a few users in each camp whom don't have that respect, and wind the more moderate members up. If you ban those members from the site then you'll see a dramatic decrease in ugly arguments, I guarantee it.

zerohero 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:30:04
#76 ]
Team Member

@HenryCase

Quote:
What does tend to happen is you get a few users in each camp whom don't have that respect, and wind the more moderate members up. If you ban those members from the site then you'll see a dramatic decrease in ugly arguments, I guarantee it.

I agree fully agree with this, and there will be some kind of change.

Hondo 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:34:45
#77 ]

@HenryCase

Quote:
You could equally say 'destroyed for years by some trollish MOS haters' or 'destroyed for years by some trollish AROS haters

No you couldn't because this site started out as a AmigaOS centric site, and everything were happy for quite a long time. Then suddenly the doors opened up for MOS and AROS and then the trouble began with several new users only writing negative FUD and trollish comments against AOS. They use the sick and cowardly apology of AOS4 fans hating them, so they can promote their sick agenda which is to totally destroy anything AmigaOS.

You have never ever seen this behaviour towards MOS and AROS from AOS fans, atleast not in such an intense and long going form. I think all AOS fans wants is to be left alone, and to see MOS and AROS standing on their own feet somewhere else. They don't want to see it die.

Try and have a look now when this post is posted. Then they will come agressively and defend themselves with the excuse they we're once banned on aw.net and for that they surely have earned the right to remind everybody forever of the bad people aos fans is.

sigh...

vox 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 8:44:39
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
They don't want to see it die.

Well either no one should have problem to be informed about someone elses progress.
If its for the peace and enjoyement that will bring many AW.net users back "lets smoke the pipe" and have peace.

From my side, I must admit being quite agressive and trollish to CUSA threads as response to their bashing of AmigaOS4 and partially AROS and MOS.

Won`t do that, if the peace will do better. Admins allow it, and have to live with it.
Don`t want no more abuse reports, so will not make no reason for it.

Each one of us could think of how atmospehere could improve,
and not only to blame someone else.

HenryCase 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 9:10:30
#79 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero
Quote:
zerohero wrote:
I agree fully agree with this, and there will be some kind of change.

Thank you.

@Hondo
Quote:
Hondo wrote:
@HenryCase

Quote:
You could equally say 'destroyed for years by some trollish MOS haters' or 'destroyed for years by some trollish AROS haters

No you couldn't because this site started out as a AmigaOS centric site, and everything were happy for quite a long time.

Move with the times, AW.net hasn't been OS4-centric for a long time. If you want that kind of environment, then you've got Amigans.net. The point I was making is that OS4 isn't the issue, what is the issue is the trolling. The trolling attacks all camps, therefore my previous comment is valid.

Quote:
Hondo wrote:
You have never ever seen this behaviour towards MOS and AROS from AOS fans, atleast not in such an intense and long going form.

I could point out plenty of examples of this happening. Would you like me to do so?

@vox
Quote:
vox wrote:
From my side, I must admit being quite agressive and trollish to CUSA threads as response to their bashing of AmigaOS4 and partially AROS and MOS.

I think you've raised an important point vox. CUSA bashing is fairly commonplace, it's an easy target, and there isn't much reason to support them. However, this will need to change if we want to improve the standard of discussion in the Amiga community.

The reason is, if we accept bashing CUSA for their flaws, then we accept bashing the other Amiga camps for their flaws, of which they all have. It's not the content being discussed that should change, but instead our attitude towards it. If, like me, you have no time for CUSA, then simply don't waste time posting about them.

Peace isn't achieved through everyone thinking exactly the same as you, its achieved from respecting that others think differently from you. If you don't respect others then you shouldn't expect respect back.

I'm sure it'll take a while before we lose our bad habits, but the effort is worthwhile.

vox, perhaps you could start things off by removing the 'lame CUSA' part from your sig?

Last edited by HenryCase on 15-Oct-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 9:26:26
#80 ]

@HenryCase

All I want is the same as you man, that Aw.net become troll free, and that the site stays free of them. Then we can start gathering the camps in on big group hug

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle