Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  1 min ago
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 Hypex:  23 mins ago
 agami:  31 mins ago
 Matt3k:  57 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 amigasociety:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 billt:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A "Have It Out" thread?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
fishy_fis 
A "Have It Out" thread?
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 11:46:10
#1 ]
Elite Member

While there's aspects of Amigaworld.net I enjoy, I must admit it has become a sites I dont use nearly as often as I once did for the sole reason it's become pretty much the site to go to if youre interested in mudslinging between people who favor one particular "amiga" flavor to another.

Having no active parent companies for so long gives a person time to become fairly heavily invested in the route theyve taken to further thier interest. I personally believe this plays a big part in why people cant let these things go. We (amigans of all flavors) are a platform unto ourselves, a very flexible core (prone to people personalising it anyway), with many branches. The routes people have taken is the best option for them, and typically someone isnt going to be swayed by advantages another option has for someone else. This coupled with time gives a person time to become sometimes irrationally invested.

Anyway, amatuer analysis aside, how about a thread where people are allowed to just let it out and argue until theyre blue in the face? (within site conditions of course). This has a few advantages in that it gives people inclined to do so enough rope to hang themselves, and gets some of the off topic arguing out of other threads. Not to mention it could be entertaining in a strange sort of way :) If people start arguing in another thread they can have it suggested to "take it to the 'Have It Out' thread".

Hopefully such a thread would make those predisposition to be arguementative or antagonistic an opportunity to get it out of thier systems and get bored with it too :)

Probably a bit unpractical in practice (when ppl want to rant they'll just rant), but not a teriible idea in my opinion, and potentially quite entertaining :)

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Re: A "Have It Out" thread?
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 11:50:10
#2 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

nice idea, but I fear when they have heated up in this thread they will change to other threads and continue. Perhaps we should make a peace conference or smoke like the indians

Slayer 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:07:29
#3 ]

What this site needs is a name change then people will gradually leave of there own accord...

There is no point having PC and freedom of speech values in a "themed" forum board... either protect AmigaOS or just change the name to computerworld.net for example and I'll be the first to actually leave for good...

Not that I post much anyway... LOL

For some crazy reason the older Amiga forums are no longer run by people loyal to AmigaOS... that makes no sense to me, no sense whatsoever...

Ideally ALL Amiga sites should protect AmigaOS period...

MorphOS and AROS should have there own sites and that's it...

This would be too easy wouldn't it? You certainly wouldn't see me on MorphOS sites saying this OS is #### or on an AROS site saying there custom hardware is too expensive...

I just want peace and positive energy like the old days... not this BS of imitation factions fighting for some piece of the pie they gave up when they followed a different path... we know it, they know it and the bloody admins know it too... but the admins LOVE traffic... until all the Amiga boards wake up to these simple common sense guidelines ALOT OF YOU PEOPLE are going to continue WASTING your time on these sites... because that is what you are doing, wasting your time... amen

There, that'll get a few people going LOL

Last edited by Slayer on 14-Oct-2011 at 12:12 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:14:55
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Slayer

See, that's the spirit, random rambling by those inclined to do so :P

Seriously though, both AROS and MOS do have thier own sites, much like OS4. Others like Amigaworld cover he whole spectrum .

Slayer 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:24:32
#5 ]

@fishy_fis

But that's the whole thing, there ISN'T a spectrum... that is a stupid urban myth created by those wanting to use the Amiga vehicle to gather interest in there efforts...

completely understandable but not honourable that is for sure

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:50:19
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Slayer

To each his own and whatnot, but to me there's nothing dishonorable about amiga fans wanting to further thier OSes when there was no sight of any official successor. Amiga fans willing to put in the time and effort to further thier hobby, nothing more, nothing less.

All share common apis, for the most part software (much sharing back and forward between platforms), each would be in a weaker position software wise if it wasnt for the others. Yes, its true there's no commercial tie between them (besides those few multi "amiga" commercial products), but there's absolutely strong ties, which is why some sites cater to all flavors. The 68k Commodore Amiga systems are the common denominator, so I personally think it's quite apt for the word amiga to have become generic word used in a similar way to unix.

AmigaOS.org, or AmigaOSWorld.net and so on, then sure, I'd agree with your perspective, but I guess it comes down to what a person believes "amiga" is.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:53:48
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Slayer
Quote:
But that's the whole thing, there ISN'T a spectrum...

Sorry, but there is...

-Sam- 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 12:59:30
#8 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Anyway, amatuer analysis aside, how about a thread where people are allowed to just let it out and argue until theyre blue in the face?

What? You mean a 'MooBunny' thread?

I don't think it would work as such a thread needs the freedom that MooBunny offers to work.

rebraist 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:04:57
#9 ]

@Slayer

What interests? amiga is a little community and if you sum together os4, morphos and aros (today) users you have not 2000 people.
Over the years, in post commodore era, some products have been sold with amiga name or amiga related.How much have sold? Near nothing.
There's no "interest".
Aros is totally free.
Morphos is sold at 110 eur but you can use it free for half an hour.
Os4 has a price about 100 eur.
If our market would be important should have been bought by someone big.
It's here dying instead and we're here buying old macs, overpriced ppcs board or old realtek wifi-g cards for aros.

The spectrum: i've always found this site has a beautiful name: amiga world. There's a spectrum and there's an amiga world indeed.
This world is made by the true amigas (the classic), the ainc amigaones compatible boards, pegasos, aros and (absurd) the mac ppc hware.
In the eyes of every user its machine is the "true amiga". But the only machine named amiga that is a true amiga were the classic ones.
The other are surely not amiga. First of all they've no custom chips. And in honesty i surely remember in the 80s when i rwad an amiga magazine about a new chipset i jumped on my chair dreaming about the future...
The otheres are amiga one (at their best), pcs or mac...
Let's look at the os.
Os4 is the official re-incarnation of commodore workbench (lately amiga os).
But it's truly totally not amiga: os4 runs on apple mac mini natively... moana. And os4 running on a mac to me is something strange. Morphos too (i'm a morphos user too) and in fact morphos isn't totally amiga.
But... Apple.
When apple passed to ppc they sold osx instead of system9.
They're both "apple os" but surely you can call system9==osx or even similar.
They're totally two different things.
What they share? The spirit.
The old apple users found the spirit of the old apple os in osx.
Let's return to amiga...
The old amiga users found the spirit of commodore amiga os in the new hyperion amiga os.
And os4 is much more close to os3 than osx to system 9.
But the focus is the spirit.
When aaros diguilla started to write aros he wanted to make an opensource os3 clone.
And aros users say that in aros there's the amiga spirit. In fact you can take an os3 c src, compile it and you'll almost surely will find a working program.
Morphos creators inspired their creation to commodore os3 too.
And in fact morphos users find morphos experience something that is amiga.
The spectrum, the amiga world, the flavour is something consistent.
All of them are an evolution in a way or another of the original, the only true amiga.

Franko 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:07:25
#10 ]
Elite Member

None of these sites we're talking about should have the name Amiga in the title if we're really being honest about it...

Amiga.org should be renamed "Apple iThis & Apple iThat.org" or "I aint got a sense of humour or an Amiga.org"

Amigworld.net should be renamed "OS4worrld.net" or "Don't talk to me about anything Amiga unless it's OS4.net"

EAB should be renamed on two counts as there is nothing "English" about it and it's really only about games to something like "ThePolish&EasternEuropeanAmigaPirates&GamePlayers.net"

Moobunny... no need to change that as there's nothing Amiga in it's title and the name quite accurately reflects the spaced out folk who post their...

Like others have said I wouldn't join a MorphOS or AROS site just to go there and tell them I don't like or use their systems but here the website is called "Amigaworld.net" not "OS4world.net" so there's no point in complaining when I want to talk about Amigas and not OS4...

Methinks the Trades Description Act laws should be enforced on all these sites immediately and the names changed to more accurately reflect their content...

number6 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:10:22
#11 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
If people start arguing in another thread they can have it suggested to "take it to the 'Have It Out' thread".

We created such a thread in 2005. It still exists.
Here is what happens in -every- case where we have sent people TO that thread...

Not one...not ONE time has anyone pointed TO that thread ever posted IN that thread.

Can you guess why?
The thread is not shown on the front page. Once they realize their ego won't be satisfied by being center of attention anymore...they stop arguing.

Franko 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:14:22
#12 ]
Elite Member

@rebraist

Quote:

rebraist wrote:
@Slayer

What interests? amiga is a little community and if you sum together os4, morphos and aros (today) users you have not 2000 people.0

I have to laugh when someone comes up with figures like that (gawd knows where you get them from)...

There are far more than 2000 active Amiga users worldwide more like 10,000 would be more accurate. I said it before don't judge the size of active Amiga users by the number of people who post or are active members of these forums.

The vast majority of still active Amiga users don't post or even visit these sites and as such these sites only reflect a tiny part of the active Amiga users still out there worldwide...

Just go to some of the European language Amiga sites or get to know active Amiga users on YouTube for example and you'll soon realise there are far more of us still around than you seem to realise...

cheesegrate 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:16:04
#13 ]

@Franko

if amigaworld is called os4world what would you call amigans.net?

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

cheesegrate 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:16:53
#14 ]

Oh i got it .

mikeyc'sdeadsplintersite.net :)

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Franko 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:19:17
#15 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

Dunno... cos I've never looked at Amigans.net...

I'll take a quick peek now and let you know either here or on Moobunny if my reply is X rated...

Slayer 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:20:41
#16 ]

@fishy_fis

Most people speak with little or no authority at all when declaring what they think 'amiga' means

The silliest but widely accepted arguement is that the older Amigas had custom chips and the blitter and was wildly revolutionary for its time... but we all know chips evolve and benchmarks are eventually caught up and if Amigas had kept being produced they would have moved to whatever chip suited the job and there would be systems available with similair strengths

I have many older machines and 5 new PPC ones and my interest spans to present from 1985 and I've never owned anything else, why the hell should I care what some people believe 'amiga' means to them?

The new movement is exactly what alot of people wanted, so it took its time getting here, did you really believe it wouldn't happen? Get on board and enjoy the ride, it's a bloody good one, or for godsakes go away and spend your time enjoying something that you do enjoy... AmigaOS4.x doesn't deserve to be constantly hammered by uncontrolled negative or realistic insight... the people involved like myself ARENT interested in what it can't do... we just want to make it do what it can do!

Last edited by Slayer on 14-Oct-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:23:57
#17 ]
Elite Member

I hate everbody and everyone

Slayer 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:26:22
#18 ]

@Kicko

LOL

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:26:27
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Slayer

then do it... who is hindering you? And accept different opinions.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 13:27:08
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

yourself too?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle