Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  10 mins ago
 Gunnar:  13 mins ago
 kriz:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  HD-REC on OS4.x on X1000 ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kicko 
HD-REC on OS4.x on X1000 ?
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:34:00
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi.

As i have A1G4XE and use hd-rec im wondering if HD-REC app is working on X1000. It can crash sometimes under my system but its usefull enough for me to make music. As i have in plan to replace my A1 with an X1000 i would like to continue to use HD-REC and Arteffect. Thats my minimum requiement.

Can anyone with a USB midiinterface try it out. Ofcourse if you dont have midi interface please also try how the app works, if the plugins works, softsynth, making music, recording audio etc. For those that have USB midiinterface please try if midi in/out works, with other words if you have HW synthesizers do some music (sequenceing).

Beware that it can easily crash if you play a tune and hold RMB. To not get crashes this way just enable "non blocking" in sys:prefs/GUI Preferences program. Go to menus and choose non blocking for Pull-down menues (thats in workbench and not in hd-rec). This makes apps dont block while you hold RMB. Forgot the "non blocking" for pop-up menus too.

Thanks for help

Last edited by Kicko on 26-Oct-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Re: HD-REC on OS4.x on X1000 ?
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:46:03
#2 ]

@Kicko

Quote:
As i have A1G4XE and use hd-rec im wondering if HD-REC app is working on X1000. It can crash sometimes under my system but its usefull enough for me to make music. As i have in plan to replace my A1 with an X1000 i would like to continue to use HD-REC and Arteffect. Thats my minimum requiement.

funnily enough i asked about HD-REC at amiwest myself. steve didn't know of anyone running it, per se, though, on their beta X1000 systems.

it works very well on my SAM and ESI juli@ combo, so i would think it would work just fine on the X1000 as well. when using it at the show i was impressed not only with the speed, but also the stability of our newest amiga NG. it looked like the video drivers were still in a state of flux with the occasional shadow artifact, but otherwise as rock solid an amiga as i have ever used.

in fact the only time i 'crashed' was when somebody leaned on the case and hit the power button!

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 26-Oct-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 19:53:24
#3 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

I have also ESI Juli@ and plan is to move it to X1000 later on. I use also USB midi interface from ESI (M4U). I hope that when all this 3D drivers etc is finished that they will do some updated/reworked audio system with multitrackrecording (record several audio at same time). That would be awesome. I can always dream.

Last edited by Kicko on 26-Oct-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Wanderer 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 22:35:51
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

If there are bugs in HD-Rec, please report so I can try to reproduce them, and thus I can fix them. On my setup, I havent run into crashes for ages now.
I assume the crashes you have are due to faulty USB and/or AHI drivers, no?
But the RMB Problem shouldnt be there. I will check that.

HD-Rec cannot do multitrack recording because AHI cannot do multitrack recording.
Someone needs to improve AHI first. (not a driver, I mean AHI itself)

Last edited by Wanderer on 26-Oct-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Homepage: http://www.hd-rec.de

eXec 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 23:13:20
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Wanderer

beside that, some decent fully VST plugin compatible DAW
is more than needed... There is not a single that supports
any serious VST plugin at all.

djrikki 
Posted on 26-Oct-2011 23:40:55
#6 ]
Elite Member

@OP

Talking of "RECs"... I'd like to know how well SRec performs on the X-1000 - thats the screen-recording tool on OS4Depot. I'd love to see some 'proper' videos posted on YouTube that don't involve pointing a camera at the screen - lol unless its a quality HD Camera like Danwood's (of Why you use an Amiga in 2011? fame).

EDIT: In fact I'd like to know how well SRec performs on a SAM460 or similar OS4 System because no-one seems to posting on YouTube with it!

Last edited by djrikki on 26-Oct-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 26-Oct-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 6:37:24
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Wanderer

For the multitrack yes i ment the audiosystem (AHI). I talked alot with you and DaveAE about this and also Martin Bloom. He has no time so at least AHI wouldnt be updated. I hope someone else takeover and do something new. Like the gfx system is updated i hope we get some new AHI in future. Or atleast if someone can improve it... if Martin would be sharing the source... I dont know. Making music is very important to bring back some old x-amigans :)

For the crashlogs i sent some as PM here in AW to you but havent got replys the 2 or times (except features i like). Maybe you didnt get them ? I did get new camd.library that puts out warning requesters if something goes mad etc. When i get crashes i dont get info about camd.library or ahi driver problems but then i cant be sure its hd-rec. Could be whatever, camd/ahi/os4 etc. The thing is i dont know much about coding but if i send you crashlogs and if you tell me its probably a bug in ahi driver or camd, please tell me and i can forward to the devs of this peaces. The only thing that grimreaper tells its some hd-rec parts. So i dont know more then to send to you.

How do you want me to contact you with crashlogs. PM here, the hd-rec list or one of your mails ? Did you get even features i would like. Just wondering if its problem with sending PMs.

Will you put up a new version on sourceforge or your page that i can install from scratch just to be sure i made everything right. I use the one from sourceforge. Installed from scratch before. Im always running the HD-REC_OS4 version. I dont mix old plugins either.

Last edited by Kicko on 27-Oct-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Toaks 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 6:46:43
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Wanderer

awesome to see youre still working on hdrec etc :)

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 8:28:11
#9 ]
Cult Member

@eXec

Hm.... lets imagine I would add the VST Interface to HD-Rec, what then?
Will you port the open-source plugins (are there at all?) to AmigaOS?
You know that the plugins usually use a lot of eye candy and platform specific stuff, they are not command line tools.
And the really good ones are usually commercial and closed source.

It would be possible for WinUAE though, because the plugins can run on the Windows side. But for AmigaOS directly? On a different CPU?

But because we use AmigaOS because of the fun and not because we have to, I'd rather implement a new softsynth since this is way more fun. I have actually plans for that in the future, but not right now. Any ideas are welcome.

steril606 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 8:43:53
#10 ]

@Wanderer
+1

...and nice that you are still working on HD-REC.

One of the best programs on Amiga OS, if you'd ask me.

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 8:52:55
#11 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

This is the "offical" Bugtracker:
http://www.amiforce.de/amiblitz/bugtracker/pm.php

But yes, I got your reports and they are highly appreciated. You are THE power user of HD-Rec

FYI: The crashlog always says the crash happend in HD-Rec because the libraries run in HD-Rec context. The means, if a CAMD or AHI call crashes, it will still say
"HD-Rec crashed". You can fiddle out later on that is was the camd.library looking at the hunk-offset.
The problematic part of your crashlogs was mostly, that I cannot reproduce it under WinUAE. I dont have OS4/MOS or Classic anymore.

AHI is open source, so technically everybody could fix it. But the problem is, that "everybody" is now such a small group of people, that noone does it. AHI is practically unmaintained nowadays. I reported a serious bug in ahi.device recording once (it actually doesnt really work), but nobody fixes it.
So, multitrack support is very unlikely to happen, ever, even though this would not be that hard. (maybe just exten the list of sample formats from mono, stereo to quadro and more...)

I will myself not look into AHI, since I hae bazillions of other things to do, and I am not a good candidate for this since I never had a look at AHI yet, I dont even have a proper GCC installed. People like David could do such fixes/improvements in a fraction of the time than I would do.

Imagine you would write a Windows software and the first thing you need to do is to annatomize DirectX and fix some bugs.
The Amiga developer situation is just disasterous. And last but not least, most of the (very few) drivers out there are written by amateurs and not tested in any other context than the developers own machine. I don't blame anyone for this, it's just the situation that there is too few people to keep AmigaOS alive, and too little money to do anything on a higher level than hobby.

Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:07:34
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Wanderer

BTW; I use HD-Rec almost every day at work. Not for making music, but for analyzing audio data. The latest improvments to HD-Rec are for annotation the audio data, but this is probably not for use to anybody else.

t0lkien 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:10:28
#13 ]

A good point to have in a audio prog in Amiga would be something like Jesusonic.

Its based on text and the gui it generate is only sliders, buttons and text...

You can program your own fx, instrument inside de DAW writing easy text.

One example of JesuSonic code:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/1st_Ever_Jesusonic_Tutorial

Gui created with JS code:

http://cernthskei.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/lorenz.png?w=468&h=192

I know it´s very difficult to do (no time, no resources) but we can dream cant we? :)

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:26:26
#14 ]
Cult Member

@t0lkien

Using HD-Rec plugin interface is almost as easy and way more efficient.

Doing a DSP effect for HD-Rec is actually relatively similar to this approach, only that you write C code (or Amiblitz, or [your favourite programming language] code) instead of "jesonic".
HD-Rec will then generate the DSP effects GUI.

Edit: ok, jesusonic code is of course much smaller and it can be changed on the fly. But porting jesusonic take probably more time than implementing natively all the DSP Effects that have been and will be written in jesusonic. Of course, the most important do already exist in HD-Rec.

BTW, you may take this thread as a whishlist for DSP Effects or Plugins for HD-Rec.
I just finished a very nice Denoiser that will make it into a new release soon.

Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 09:27 AM.

t0lkien 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 9:40:34
#15 ]

Very interesting! Sad that we cant make multitrack cos HDREC looks fantastic.

lucaricossa 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 10:22:51
#16 ]

@Kicko

I do multitracking recording in duplex with AudioEvolution, but it is no more mantained (migrated to Windows...)

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 10:42:19
#17 ]
Cult Member

@lucaricossa

Multitrack recording means, you can record multiple tracks at ONCE. What you are doing with AE is probably editing multiple tracks that have been recorded one after another, just like what you can do in HD-Rec. Correct me if I am wrong, because if so, AE has found a way to break the limits of AHI or doesnt use AHI at all and has some proprietary audio driver.

May I ask what kind of soundcard you are using? (how many input lines does it support?)

Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 10:44 AM.

eXec 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 10:48:35
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Wanderer

I was not aiming on your hdrec directly, but on all available daws on OS4.
VST with hd rec, yes. Ever heard for insert slots in chanel strips?
YOu can put gates, eqs, compressors, limiters and all kinds of
psychoacoustic vsts in those. And yes, there is a whole bunch of them
for free...

;)

Wanderer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 11:22:02
#19 ]
Cult Member

@eXec
HD-Rec has "insert" and "send" slots, and the most important audio effects (of course, importance is subjective).

> YOu can put gates, eqs, compressors, limiters and all kinds of
for free...
1. "for free" != "open source"
2. "open source" != "portable to AmigaOS with less effort than re-writing"
3. If you port at least one of them to AmigaOS that adds significant value to HD-Rec, I am willing to implement the interface on HD-Recs side. (given that is it simple enough for a single developer to master this in his lifetime).

Last edited by Wanderer on 27-Oct-2011 at 11:24 AM.

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 11:27:13
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@eXec

Quote:

was not aiming on your hdrec directly, but on all available daws on OS4.
VST with hd rec, yes. Ever heard for insert slots in chanel strips?
YOu can put gates, eqs, compressors, limiters and all kinds of
for free...

Have you actualy used AE4 or HD-Rec? Both of them can do effects inserts, AE4 is limited to 3 and HD-Rec is unlimited. (as far as I understand)

As to VST there are a few open source ones, but they are ot exactly earth shattering, the powerful ones are all closed source, so you would need to port WINE before you could use them.

I took a look at the sources for these open source VST's a little while back with the idea to port some, but have had no time.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle