Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 bhabbott:  18 mins ago
 michalsc:  27 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Any such thing as a SII0680 + wi-fi PCI card?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
scabit 
Re: Any such thing as a SII0680 + wi-fi PCI card?
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 0:59:17
#21 ]

@swoodall

So USB 2.0 is operational as well as the Sata controller on one card? This is great news. Do you suppose it will work in the micro A1? Which update of OS4.1 are you running?

Scott

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 1:19:30
#22 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
So USB 2.0 is operational as well as the Sata controller on one card? This is great news. Do you suppose it will work in the micro A1?

Last best info I can find is still:

here

Translation: USB2.0 card works in Micro, but USB2 itself...no.
Maybe @whose can bring us up to date on that.

other source

I'd bookmark the threads for reference, in case anyone updates those threads.

scabit 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 1:32:01
#23 ]

@swoodall

Would a card like this work in an AmigaOne? It is a 7 in 1 controller - SATA/USB2.0/IDE.

http://www.dealsishop.com/satausbide.html

Or how about this IDE + SATA + USB card?

http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T-PCA-540__pci-to-4-ports-usb-2-0-sata-ide.html

Hopefully USB 2.0 will be enabled and fixed in the micro A1 with an upcoming release of OS4.1?

Just curious....

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:03 AM.

swoodall 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 2:51:03
#24 ]

@scabit

Well, I'm not giving a flawless recommendation, as you heard it may have some side effects still on the PCI bus. Maybe the presence of 2 FDs on the same card explain why the next slot is ignored? It does worry me, since the other card shows up on the PCI list at uboot but not in OS4 now. Caveat Emptor. I'm on 4.1upd3 on a fixed A1XE.

But, yes both the USB2 and SATA are working. I only connected an eSATA disk to test it, but it formatted and worked as expected. I tried some speed checks on the USB2 to make sure it wasn't falling back to UHCI, and it seems ok.

Large file MD5SUM from old thumbdrive:: USB1: 291 sec USB2: 95 sec

"scsispeed" buf=64k on new thumbdrive:: USB1: 0.933mb/sec USB2: 9.857mb/sec

It seems likely that the XEs, Micros, and SAMs have different firmware behavior which can lead to varying usability of the PCI slots. There isn't a PCI bridge on this card, so it's just multiple devices and not a secondary bus. It would be the sort of card I would look for if I had a micro with just 1 slot, but my impression from discussions is that the inclusion of the onboard graphics and changes to uboot may have made the one slot less flexible than those on the XE. I have no firsthand knowledge. Also, don't forget you have only one PCI33 slot bandwidth to use no matter how many devices they pack in there.

Problem correction:
I went back and checked again, and now the adjacent ethernet card is not showing up even in the uboot PCI list, so that list is consistent with what OS4 ranger/pciscan sees and all that is as expected. Maybe the card is not seated well, or maybe uboot doesn't like something now. I'll probably open up and check tomorrow.

Last edited by swoodall on 13-Nov-2011 at 03:09 AM.

swoodall 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 4:48:21
#25 ]

@scabit

If you really want to get something to experiment with, my recommendation is you carefully focus on specific _chipsets_ you know will work.

I read in some threads here or on Hyp. forums that the NEC USB2 chips worked, and I knew that the SiI3512 SATA was supported, so I searched out a card I knew for sure had those on it. It can be quite hard to find exactly what chips are on different cards (because most users don't care). Look for user reviews which mention it, or which include 'lspci' or similar output, or sometimes photos close enough to recognize the mfrs.

I would look for clarity on the micro-specific questions first, though.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:24:09
#26 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I don't have a link sorry but I fixed up a friends A1SE by sticking a USB card in. He bought an NEC USB2 card. An A1SE USB is whacked. But USB on a Micro is fine right?

USB2 cards can even work on an A1XE which made the big Update 3 usable with USB2.

Hey I tested a Spider USB2 card in my A1 and it works prefectly! Hehe.

number6 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:42:06
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
A1SE USB is whacked.

One or two SE users have indicated they have had some success with USB1.1 and have posted their experiences.

Quote:
But USB on a Micro is fine right?

The 2 threads I linked to are the most up to date discussions. Any positive result is from using a card but having to revert to USB1.1. The post from @whose should indicate that.

scabit 
Posted on 14-Nov-2011 13:23:35
#28 ]

@number6

From the thread referred to earlier, it looks like it is people with XEs that are testing the multiple and USB cards mostly. I would think due to the limitations in a micro with having only 1 slot that AmigaOne micro owners would be trying the combo cards.
Anyone out there with a micro AmigaOne tried to use multiple cards such as those I've linked to above? I may give one a try just to see whay happens - hopefully not a fried AmigaOne!

Scott

scabit 
Re: Any such thing as a SIL0680 + wi-fi PCI card?
Posted on 15-Nov-2011 21:31:08
#29 ]

@ZeroG

Just ordered the WNCE2001 - refurbished - from Amazon for about $30 with shipping. I hope it works okay!

Thanks,

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 23:42:49
#30 ]

@ZeroG

Okay, I got a Netgear WNCE2001 for my micro AmigaOne.

Is there any way to have it connect to my ad-hoc wireless network on my XP laptop?

I set up the XP laptop using the SSID name Scotts_Laptop, enter a 10 digit WEP - all seems okay on the PC.

Then I plug in the Netgear to my AmigaOne LAN, using the USB able to power it and then power up the AmigaOne.

I go to preferences, internet and set up the device NETGEAR and enter the MAC from the label on the bottom of the netgear box and put it in as the DHCP. I save and a shell opens showing me it is turning off the network then turning it back on. I get something that says my time will expire at such and such a time.
I go and open up MUIOWB and see the Netgear config screen.
I choose English - then pick the network it sees Scotts_Laptop at 100%.
It then ask me for the WEP, I enter the same 10 digit WEP I entered on the XP laptop.
It tells me it will connect and it will take 2 minutes. 2 minutes go by - it shows from 0 to 100% and comes back and says it cannot connect and to see some entry in the manual that I do not have (probably on the netgear web site).

What am I doing wrong?

Scott

olegil 
Posted on 20-Nov-2011 9:55:46
#31 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

What you are doing wrong is that the device you're using doesn't support ad-hoc networks at all.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=62953

You need an access point.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

ZeroG 
Posted on 20-Nov-2011 10:15:56
#32 ]
Cult Member

@scabit
Quote:

Is there any way to have it connect to my ad-hoc wireless network on my XP laptop?

I don't know - i never used an ad-hoc wlan.

Quote:

What am I doing wrong?

1. setup the adaptor using it's config screen (this part should be ok if i understand your description)

2. Open Sys:Prefs/Internet and click on Interfaces on the left side. Delete any Interfaces on the right side and click "New...". Enter some Name for the interface, set the Device driver to DEVS:Networks/eth3com.device (that should be the onboard ethernetport). Set "Unit/Port" to 0, disable "Use static IP address" and enable "Try dynamic configuration", enter nothing for "Hostname" and set the "Default" checkmark. click "Use" then "Save". Now it's time to reset your A1.

scabit 
Posted on 23-Nov-2011 3:51:55
#33 ]

@ZeroG

Well, I've gotten a Verizon wireless MiFi from a friend to try with my Amiga. I am having some problems though getting it to work smoothly with my Netgear WNCE2001 plugged into my micro Amiga One.

Here's what I do and what happens:

The Verizon Mifi is working - verified with my PC netbook.

I plug the netgear WNCE2001 into the Amiga LAN port and USB port (for power) and turn on the AmigaOne.
After the Amiga powers up, I go to Internet prefs and set up the 3com device, setting hostname blank, being sure I am using DHCP and automatic IP address and give it a name of Netgear, with "default" checked. I save this and get a shell window with a message that the network will shut down...it comes back up and gives me some timestamp and message about when it will reconfigure.
I go to MUIOWB and get the netgear configpage, where I see the verizon mifi2200 at 100% and then I put in the proper code for the mifi and then after 2 minutes connect. I have to close muiowb then open it again to be able to access the internet.
All seems well. Until I reboot the amigaone. Then, the machine comes up and I wait for a couple of minutes to see if I will get internet access.
Yes, I have the addnetinterfaces line in my startup-sequence.
But no, by default I have no internet access.
In order to establish internet access, I have to go and change something in prefs/internet for the netgear 3com device settings I had set up, change it back, and SAVE. The network is shut down then reestablished, then usually I seem to get internet access.
Should I take out the addnetinterfaces line from my startup-sequence and do it maually after I am fully booted up?

So what am I doing wrong here?

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 23-Nov-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Crumb 
Posted on 23-Nov-2011 18:24:25
#34 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

I use a cheap Asus router to access WiFi networks with my miggies.

If I had a uA1 I would probably try to fit a better graphic card but if you prefer to have SATA perhaps you could use a SATA+USB2.0 card to get USB2.0 in your uA1 too. Dealextreme sells some cheap SATA+PATA+USB2.0 PCI cards.

ZeroG 
Posted on 23-Nov-2011 19:31:45
#35 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

I don't know what's wrong, the adaptor is working here. i have tested it with my A1XE, SAM440ep, PS3, TV and Notebook and i don't even have to touch the config of all these devices or the adaptor.

scabit 
Posted on 24-Nov-2011 13:09:45
#36 ]

@ZeroG

Quote:
I don't know what's wrong, the adaptor is working here. i have tested it with my A1XE, SAM440ep, PS3, TV and Notebook and i do

Okay, here's what I have....if I change the addnetinterface line in s:startup-sequence to run > ram:t/interface.log addnetinterface..... then it seems to work much better. In fact, I am almost always getting a connection by the time I go to launch MUIOWB.
Not sure why that would make a diference in establishing the conection, but all is working well now.

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 11-Sep-2012 3:09:41
#37 ]

@number6

Quote:
USB2.0 card works in Micro, but USB2 itself...no.

So, has this changed at all with update 5 for OS4.1? Does USB 2.0 work on a micro A1?

Scott

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle