Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 Kronos:  28 mins ago
 Swisso:  40 mins ago
 bhabbott:  46 mins ago
 OneOfNine:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Hypex:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 Gebrochen:  5 hrs 11 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  6 hrs 49 mins ago
 matthey:  7 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:25:45
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:

Seblam wrote:

@Franko
No, I don't treat blind people, people that like original AmigaOS or custom chipset and who loved using their classics. Retro, whatever it is, Amiga, Atari is great.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant is that people who think that a modern Amiga should have kernel inherited from original, custom chipset are just not in phase with today technology.

Firstly there is no need to apologise, if you have a view on something there is nothing wrong in saying it...

You see I have no interest in being "in phase with today's technology", now that may sound strange coming from someone who jumped in right at the start of what we call home computing way back in 81 with my very first VIC 20...

Through the VIC 20, C64 and Amiga I found what I consider to be both enjoyable and the perfect level of technology when it comes to computing. Mainly the fact you have to write programmes that are so small and compact in comparison to today's computers in order to get the best out of this old technology, that's the kind of thing that I enjoy...

So the software is of course important but even more important to me is the challenge & fun of creating software that will run and do what you require from such "limited" old technology...

It's just like my SNES systems, to me they are the best games consoles ever made and even beat the Amiga when it comes to certain types of games (RPGs)...

I reckon the two iMacs I have could do some great things but I only use them to access the net as there is something about them that just doesn't appeal to me or make me interested in them...

Think I just like old stuff and when I find something I like and am happy with then that's enough for me...

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:30:08
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Mainly the fact you have to write programmes that are so small and compact in comparison to today's computers in order to get the best out of this old technology,

Efficient coding? You bet. The limitations were the best teacher.

Kicko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:32:18
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

I used to play amigagames on my xbox1 with xuae. Had a nice set with games. Today its collecting dust. I have euae installed on my A1 but im not much into games these days, not classic, not ps3 (collecting dust too).

I use os4 mostly for surfing, arteffect, trying to make music again etc. It was my main system until i got my laptop with windows7 (typing now). Since update3 arrived i got some interest again and use it more and more. Soon to order x1000 :) Got some spirit back lately

Last edited by Kicko on 10-Nov-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:41:41
#104 ]

@Franko

For sure, old school programs were very optimized because of the technology limitations and it was big challenges for coders. In those days, coders could make the difference.
Today, there is so much power, you don't need to optimize, there are less challenge on a coding point of view. But, this also means that you don't need anymore to be a talented coder to achieve what you want. Now, you can just be guided by your creativity without being limited by lack of coding know how. I think it's great, that's why the independant gaming scene is so good actually with lot of innovative concepts, because this is now a business of artists, not coder genious. And this I love.

@Kicko

I wil probably as well ordered a X1000

number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:51:05
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:
because this is now a business of artists, not coder genious.

Sounds like you put some value in Carl Sassenrath's idea of computers being an "enabler".

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:52:16
#106 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Franko

Efficient coding? You bet. The limitations were the best teacher.

VIC 20, C64 & Amiga... Taught myself how code in assembler on each one of them and it's a certainty as well as a necessity that you learn to become a very efficient programmer on these great machines...

Still write for all three of them today and have never lost interest in doing so...

Don't want to sound controversial but programming languages like C, E, Amos, Blitz etc... are to me the cissy way of doing things and the easy way out, gimme good old fashioned assembly language any day of the week...

number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:55:28
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

LDA understood.

-Sam- 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:56:08
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:
To answer to others, I still think that CUSA Amigas are the closest thing of what would have been a modern Amiga if Commodore had survived.

Well I guess we will never know. But I for one would be massively disappointed if that had happened. - Massively disappointed.

-Sam- 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:58:03
#109 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Commodore was alread an x86 manufacturer in his later years. Amiga would be evelvod with a Risc architecture.

Yes and as I understand it RISC has done rather well since then - most notably the little British company ARM.

What might have been eh?

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:58:19
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

I would never call a coder an artist nor a genius, to me that's just being pretentious. You get out of programming the effort you put into it, there's nothing fancy or clever about it....

Anyone can be a programmer, it's up to the individual to put the effort in and learn, nothing more nothing less...

When folk start calling themselves "artisans" and the like I immediately throw up all over me poor dog...

number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:02:36
#111 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
When folk start calling themselves "artisans" and the like I immediately throw up all over me poor dog...

Well, that's one less sale I see for Domino's new "artisan" pizzas.

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:04:40
#112 ]

@-Sam-

I also would prefer it not to be the case but it sounds the more realistic evolution when you look how the market evolved.
And I think lot of people would have follow anyway if the big developper names and softwares had followed as well. It would just have been a continuity, an evolution. Does Apple lost customers when going MacOSX and switching to X86? Maybe some of the most die hard PPC fans, so very few people in the end

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:06:10
#113 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Franko

Quote:

Well, that's one less sale I see for Domino's new "artisan" pizzas.

Don't like Domino's pizza's, the cheese is minging...

Much prefer a nice deep fried, grease soaked, artery chocking one from the local Chippy....

danwood 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:36:13
#114 ]

@Seblam

Quote:
Does Apple lost customers when going MacOSX and switching to X86? Maybe some of the most die hard PPC fans, so very few people in the end

There's a huge different between "going x86"' building a custom platform that happens to be based on the x86 platform but developing the AmigaOS, ethos, spirit and values the platform has, and just grabbing a bog-standard windows pc off the shelf and slapping Ubuntu with a theme/wallpaper and an Amiga sticker. Apple didn't just kill the mac and start selling windows/Linux boxes, they redeveloped their platform for the architecture.

The Amiga platform transitioning to x86 would be just another development in its life, like when we moved to PPC 10 years ago. The CUSA machines are a totally different platform though.

Last edited by danwood on 10-Nov-2011 at 11:39 PM.

danwood 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:43:30
#115 ]

@Seblam

Quote:
I'm a OS4 user but this CUSA thing looks interesting. At some point, I think that playing the new AlienBreed from Team17, the future Cannon Fodder 3 and editing some 3D graphics with Lightwave on a CUSA A500 replica with CommodoreOS could be more Amiga spirit than running a amateurich open source game ported from Linux on a X1000 with OS4.

Ok so you want to play PC games basically, nothing stopping you doing that already, just buy any old Pc, having an Amiga sticker on it won't make any difference.

Also games are unlikely to be developed for "CommodoreOS" (Linux) as it's struggled to get games for a long time, a small Florida based start up whacking a skin on an existing distro is not going to change that, you'd need to install Windows 7 on it to be a decent gaming platform, but again, this is the PC platform you are referring to, nothing to do with the Amiga.

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 23:57:22
#116 ]

@danwood

I'm not refering to any platform if you read my posts from begining, I refered to what give me the more Amiga feelings, this is different. And yes, again and again, playing the new AlienBreed from the original Team 17 on a PC makes me remember more my amiga days than the current AmigaOS4 whose dev team has nothing to do with original team.
Everybody has just it's own perception. Like for Natami for example, some people think this is the only thing close to Amiga. Guess what is my opinion
I think FPGA hardware emulation is like software emulation and add nothing more to UAE. This is my perception but I respect other people that have the perception the Natami will be like a native Amiga. If they enjoy it like that, that's the most important thing.
Passion is very subjective, people could argue x86 Mac are PC as they can run Windows, we could even interprete the early MacOSX days as a theme/wallpaper on NextStep...
For sure, Apple has gone more custom than CUSA does. But what CUSA did for the moment with a custom C64 replica case (A500 replica in the future) and a customised Linux could be a good start toward more and more customised stuffs.

djrikki 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 0:12:38
#117 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

I have only one thing to say on this thread....

djrikki 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 0:13:52
#118 ]
Elite Member

Heard it all before... its boring.. C=USA has 0.0000000001% to do with AmigaOS and even less to do with Amiga. Danwood is correct, a sticker is all it is.

zzzzz

MODERATOR NOTE
Edited out a lot of z's, they were breaking the page layout.

Last edited by zerohero on 11-Nov-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 0:32:40
#119 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
Heard it all before... its boring.. C=USA has 0.0000000001% to do with AmigaOS and even less to do with Amiga. Danwood is correct, a sticker is all it is.

zzzzz

MODERATOR NOTE
Edited out a lot of z's, they were breaking the page layout.

Agreed, and even though most of the posts have wandered off topic (just to distract from mentioning "them"), I will say this, they do attract a lot more posts than most other threads and liven things up a wee bit...

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 1:07:47
#120 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

A CUSA thread going off-topic.... Never seen such a thing ;)

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle