Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  9 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  35 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:59:18
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

It's seems that CUSA have more followers than Amigworld/Amigans. At this moment there 170 online @CUSA, while only 98 here. Every time i check CUSA the number of online visitors is greater than Amigaworld, Amigans, Amiga.org. Are we underestimate the retrocomputers feeling of the users?

Profile     Report this post  
CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:02:49
#142 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

I wouldn't use that counter as a good base. From what I have seen it is delayed as to when people log off. So the number actually online could be less than what is stated by the counter.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:16:48
#143 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Still We have 173 guests and 5 members online.

Every time i check the web site the online people numbers are greater than AW. There is a lot of interest in retrocompunting. See the various FPGA projects around to rebring old computers to life.

Spirantho 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:16:53
#144 ]

@CritAnime

plus I bet the number includes spiders and bots, and they had a LOT of publicity.

Forget the amount of unregistered people online, it's meaningless. Look at the registered users and the actual amount of posts. You'll see it's much quieter than it is on the genuine Amiga sites.

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:22:56
#145 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@CritAnime

Still We have 173 guests and 5 members online.

Every time i check the web site the online people numbers are greater than AW. There is a lot of interest in retrocompunting. See the various FPGA projects around to rebring old computers to life.

Don't forget all the other folk who go there just to laugh at the amazing sycophantic & fawning statements some of the posters come out with and to see what Jackanory's CUSA are gibbering about...

I do it all the time and I'm a member of staff there...

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:25:03
#146 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

yeah how did you manage that one. It always perplexed me.

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 9:27:53
#147 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@Franko

yeah how did you manage that one. It always perplexed me.

Think Barry's got a crush on me...

Hmmm... or was that he wanted to crush me... can't remember we were both drunk at the time...

Hammer 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 10:13:36
#148 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@Daytona675x

It's seems that CUSA have more followers than Amigworld/Amigans. At this moment there 170 online @CUSA, while only 98 here. Every time i check CUSA the number of online visitors is greater than Amigaworld, Amigans, Amiga.org. Are we underestimate the retrocomputers feeling of the users?

Well, it's an X86 PC.

Hammer 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 10:19:52
#149 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:

But, that "Commodore" USA is neither real Commodore or Amiga, that is fact.

So are the PowerPC based "neo-Amigas".

Both camps has the "Amiga" names.

1. One camp has the official 68K AmigaOS source code and "AmigaOne" name.

2. One camp has "Commodore-Amiga" name.

Please note that the real Commodore sold Wintel PCs.

Quote:

That why there was a need for COS, which again is modded existing Linux.

Commodore-Amiga 3000UX says Hi.

Last edited by Hammer on 11-Nov-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 11-Nov-2011 at 10:21 AM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 10:29:23
#150 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

that sounds like it could be a night best left forgotton Franko.

On that note I am off to bed. Done a 15 hour night shift so my brain is now mashed.

Laters.

Last edited by CritAnime on 11-Nov-2011 at 10:34 AM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 11:47:20
#151 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Why not consider the possibility of a partership with CUSA? They have money to invest, they have grant the rigths to use the Amiga name and Commodore name. There could be some possibilities.

Edit: We have 198 guests and 7 members online - I don't think that are all bot

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 11-Nov-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Seblam 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:23:00
#152 ]

For sure any of the current amiga incarnation have nothing to do with
Commodore original brand and team. Ok OS4 is based on original source code. For me what a mistake to base a OS for modern computer using 1985 kernel technology. Why do you think SMP or memory protection is so hard to achieve on OS4? MorphOS team understand that when creating the qbox but they stop development.

I like COS because it is what could have been a sort of "AmigaOSX" if Commodore have survived.
And why it would be heretic to base a new Amiga spirit OS on Linux?

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:32:14
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

And why would anyone be interested to start develop for it and pay a higher price? (compared to a standard-linux-package f.e.). Just because there is a "Amiga"-sticker on it?

Daytona675x 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:39:45
#154 ]

@Seblam
Quote:
I like COS because it is what could have been a sort of "AmigaOSX" if Commodore have survived.

You may like what you want, of course, but the COS / OSX comparism is flawed. The one is a Linux with a skin, the other is a real proprietary OS based on a, again proprietary modifed, Unix kernel. That's quite a difference...

Quote:
And why it would be heretic to base a new Amiga spirit OS on Linux?

It is not. As long as it is done the OSX way and not just a skin.

Spirantho 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:40:52
#155 ]

@Seblam

but it's not based on Linux, it IS Linux.....

andres 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:45:24
#156 ]

Quote:
Forget the amount of unregistered people online, it's meaningless. Look at the registered users and the actual amount of posts. You'll see it's much quieter than it is on the genuine Amiga sites.

agree, that number is meaningless. And it can be easily changed to any value, if you want.

Last edited by andres on 11-Nov-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Home Recording Audio

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 12:46:21
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

there is a Aros-solution that is based on a Linux-kernel (or Mac OS X). As far as I know CommodoreOS is just a modified Linux-solution. That is nothing new or special with it (of course much easier to do). The only difference to a standard-solution is the "Amiga" on it and the price (higher). So why buying it?

vox 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 13:04:51
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Seen all those "fake x86 Amiga" arguments

Quote:

Quote:
Commodore-Amiga 3000UX says Hi.Quote:
So are the PowerPC based "neo-Amigas". Both camps has the "Amiga" names. 1. One camp has the official 68K AmigaOS source code and "AmigaOne" name. 2. One camp has "Commodore-Amiga" name.

Where is the OS, simply there is a spirit (AmigaOne, AmigaOS brand). One has got it through years of work to develop OS, other has it simply by weakening of the licencess so it was affordable to get the Commodore and Amiga rights. Quite big difference. And everyone that knows Commodore Amiga history, knows it`s no more (CUSA is kind of zombie)

Quote:
Please note that the real Commodore sold Wintel PCs.

Shortly and without success.

Also, there were both soft and hard x86 emulators for big Classic Amigas (sidecar Zorro cards, PC Task) but ideas were to make Wintel software avail on Amigas, not to kill AmigaOS. Indeed such cheap PCI AMD card for SAMs or X1000 would be a win win too ...

CBM was ment to go either PA RISC or PPC flow with Phase5 cards. In reality, AmigaOS was ment to go PowerPC with PPC support in OS 3.5,OS 3.9 and PPC
OS 4.1 port was "normal and expected way to go". It was only quite late due to Hyperon and Amiga Inc lack of financing, problems on the way, short life of original AmigaOne ... it was only late. If it was done 2000/2001 as promised, it would be much advanced today (or if it started from MOS). But we are here where we are.

To summarize, there were ways that CUSA could be our friend, but they turned it away:
a) AROS friend: If it was in alliance or similar as AresOne as they promised, and showed triple boot with Phoenix
b) Next gen AOS: If they really wanted to fund MOS or OS4 transition to x86 to something better (or both). With money they claim to have, they could just buy Hyperion and MOS. But they don`t want much investment, but big return
c) Linux geek: If they dropped much Commodore/Amiga association and tried to make cheap and affordable Ubuntu / their Linux systems for everyone, including 3rd world

Note that while they wanted to make AROS machines, was fully for them. Proposed them to use AmiKit and AmigaForever. My idea was that AROS will finally have a benefactor like bPlan/Genesi was for MOS and that it will grow much faster. Asked them just to include a little info that MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 exist in some kind of (real) Commodore Amiga history with the machines, not to negate history and present like they do on the website. As more animosity they have shown to the community and its efforts, more dislike them. And don`t understand "pro Amigans" for them: there is nothing new they offer (AmigaForever is already here) but $350 C64x case with not so great cooling.

Generally, their approach is to make most of their licence. And its likely you fund infamous Amiga Inc by buying their products.

Its nice their community will shape up COS, but much of community ideas seen on fake Commodore fake Amiga forum was not included in COS 1.x. From there they can mostly mod it, so not much way to go. They wanted to have a difference, we`ll see how efficient, since we are all called to try and use it.

To me, it looked like a wanna be solution "how to have an OS and not invest much", completely in line with previous "Commodore" USA plans and ideas.

And that is about it, now go test the OS if avail for download (no link provided as of today).

Quote:

Shortly, only with one server model. Has nothing to do with Commodore USA as all the Commodore and Amiga history doesn`t. Their "revival" and showing old models as their own should be considered as fake adevertising.

Really, why not saying that there is a Linux for 68k Amigas, APUS for 68k Amigas with PPC cards, and Debian for all PPC borads that can run MOS and OS4.

Last edited by vox on 11-Nov-2011 at 01:06 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 13:25:42
#159 ]
Elite Member

@vox

there is a sad tradition in the amiga world to ignore/negate the other OSs/Variants. Look at the new amigaos.net page f.e. (the same certainly on other pages). To build a common marketing and technical platform would be better (for all) but that is propably just a dream.

Everyone creating his own standards, thus not only wasting resources but also making support difficult (Warp3D, CybergraphX, different MUI-Implementations, different standards for USB, PCI to name a few). If there would be common standards and cooperation, it would be easier to create drivers-support, have more applications and speed up development etc. and to make marketing and win new users and developers. But again as long everyone just look at his own small isle that will not happen.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Nov-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Nov-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Daytona675x 
Re: It's only 1 more day
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 14:17:46
#160 ]

@digitex
Hm, 11:11:11 GMT passed a few hours ago. Where's the download link?
I thought it was meant to be available for public download?! At least you say so:
Quote:
Commodore OS Vision will be available for free download by the general public shortly.

Or did you mean p.m. ???

Last edited by Daytona675x on 11-Nov-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle