Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  9 mins ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 sibbi:  44 mins ago
 Hammer:  53 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 saimo:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 lionstorm:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 utri007:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 zipper:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
danwood 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 0:17:01
#41 ]

@Arko

Quote:
The sad thing about Amiga is that "a bog-standard IBM-Clone PC running Ubuntu or Windows 7" will give customers a higher value than most solutions offered as Amiga succsessor by others.

Compared with the number of left over Amigaoid users, a good produced and marketed "Amiga succsessor" basing on "a bog-standard IBM-Clone PC running Ubuntu or Windows 7" migh sell out all AmigaOS4, MorphOS and Amithlon machines ever built.

Of course it would, not denying that, but it's sod all to do with the Amiga platform, nor is it any kind of sucessor, the machines they sell have been available for years (In fact it predates the Amiga!), the platform is known as an IBM PC Compatible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

You can trace the lineage of the machines they want to sell back to the IBM PC in the 80s, not the Amiga line in any way, shape or form.

As I've said in the past, you'd be foolish to try and make money or a commercial product based on the Amiga these days (OS4, MOS and AROS are hobbyist platforms, not commercially viable), so I don't begrudge anyone selling X86 Wintel hardware, that's about the only market you can make a decent profit in these days, but what gets up my nose is CUSA pretending they're selling something special/different and latching onto the Amiga name/memories/reputation when literally they're selling nothing that Dell or HP haven't been selling (cheaper) for decades.

Call a spade a spade, they sell bog standard IBM PC compatibles, same as a hundred OEMs around the world, they have zero to do with the Amiga platform other than licencing it's name, like iContain or that Chinese company who want to sell "Amiga TVs". They just paid a few quid to licence a long dead brand name and slap it on some generic PC you could buy from any other OEM.

Slapping an Amiga sticker on a Dell PC doth not an Amiga make.

Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 1:58:25
#42 ]

I don't hold any kind of grudge against the people at CommodoreUSA, I don't know them personally. I hope they can be successful but they do tend to amuse me with everything they come out with. Everything they have done so far except for actually getting the C64x into production (despite it having major design faults) looks like the work of an amature, the web site should be the most important thing for any company today especially a technology company but theirs is a joke, the continued posting on internet forums makes them look foolish, the continually changing product line up that never appears (although I have no doubt that something will eventually) is confusing and that CommodoreOS video looks like something created by a fan with very little skill not an official production designed to attract positive attention.

I just hope for their sake that CommodoreOS turns out to be something more than just a slightly modified linux distro with a commodore theme (and that any theme isn't created by whoever designed the web site and that video). I have a feeling that the world outside this little community is watching and they will laugh harder than us if it turns out CommodoreOS is nothing more than a commodore theme on Mint with some emulators and no claims that it's in beta will change that.

I would give them a small tip though, bundling every app you can think of doesn't make your OS greater, Linux Mint already has a very easy way for people to download and install what ever they want so forcing them to download it as part of your distro will put people off, better to ship a bare OS so that the initial download is minimal and allow people to only install what they want, also shipping a machine with so much installed is irritating to most people, when they buy a new computer they usually uninstall a lot of what's on there.

"No other system comes with as much functionality out of the box." in reality means no machine needs you to uninstall so much stuff you don't need.

CritAnime 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 2:12:30
#43 ]
Cult Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

I agree about un-installing useless rubbish on machines. Every new Windows machines that has tried to pack stuff on, such as macafe, I instantly get rid of. I also agree that stuff it full of things is going to put most people off. I wouldn't like to think I was spending several hours, and lots of my bandwidth allowance if I was on a capped service, downloading an OS just to uninstall all the useless crap.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

number6 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 2:30:33
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

In the U.S. 11/11/11 shall be Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day.

Not that there's any connection I am aware of.

TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 2:37:36
#45 ]

@number6

Quote:
In the U.S. 11/11/11 shall be Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day. Not that there's any connection I am aware of

I didn't know that but i'm sure they do. I hope they don't try to claim some kind of connection with commodore being a veteran and remembering when computers were fun with Commodore linux or something along those lines.

Something like that would insult many people so I hope that's not the plan (I assume they have more sense and it's just a coincidence).

CritAnime 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 2:48:34
#46 ]
Cult Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

Yup so what do we have coming on the 11.11.11

Poppy day
SKYRIM
Immortals

Anything else they could potentially be trying to sideload themselves onto?

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

cheesegrate 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 8:03:36
#47 ]

@CritAnime

its independence day in poland

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Nimrod 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 11:25:59
#48 ]

@number6

Quote:
In the U.S. 11/11/11 shall be Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day.

Same thing here. The main feature of the remembrance is the two minute silence, and that is what I for one would like to hear from Barry et. al.

Silence.

Franko 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 11:41:48
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I don't think even CUSA would be daft enough to try and tie in the release of an OS with Armistice Day (least I hope not)...

Armistice day this year anyway is Sunday the 13th (Armistice Day/ Remembrance Sunday is always held on the Sunday closest to the 11th day of the 11 month on the 11 hour)...

I know myself I would personally be very offended if they attempted to do such a crass thing and there are quite a number of active armed service personnel who are Amiga users on these very sites who would also take great offence if they were to do such a thing...

I guess we will find out on Friday...

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 12:23:42
#50 ]
Elite Member

@danwood
Quote:

danwood wrote:
@Arko

Quote:
The sad thing about Amiga is that "a bog-standard IBM-Clone PC running Ubuntu or Windows 7" will give customers a higher value than most solutions offered as Amiga succsessor by others.

Compared with the number of left over Amigaoid users, a good produced and marketed "Amiga succsessor" basing on "a bog-standard IBM-Clone PC running Ubuntu or Windows 7" migh sell out all AmigaOS4, MorphOS and Amithlon machines ever built.

Of course it would, not denying that, but it's sod all to do with the Amiga platform, nor is it any kind of sucessor, the machines they sell have been available for years (In fact it predates the Amiga!), the platform is known as an IBM PC Compatible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

You can trace the lineage of the machines they want to sell back to the IBM PC in the 80s, not the Amiga line in any way, shape or form.
(SNIP)

AMD's K7 EV6 bus has more in common with Alpha's EV6 bus architecture.

AMD's K8 Hypertransport has more in common with Alpha's EV7 interconnect architecture.

Modern X86 processors emulates X86 ISA in hardware i.e. translates variable lenght instructions (CISC) to fix lenght instructions (RISC).

AMD Bobcat and Intel Atom CPUs has about 89 percent of X86 ISA to be 1 CISC instruction :1 RISC instruction.

PC GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA continues the tradition of custom instruction set i.e. not an open standard like STI's SPE or PPC's VMX/Altivec.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 12:25:43
#51 ]
Elite Member

double post. delete this post.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:26 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 12:30:06
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

yes almost every bigger producer in the pc-market outsells all flavors combined. But still it has nothing to do with Amiga...

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 12:50:39
#53 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:

danwood wrote:
"Remember when computing was fun".. hmmn sure Hyperion used that one 10 years ago.

Nice video though, snaps of an A500 and Workbench 1.3... shame it doesn't show the truth and a photo of a bog-standard IBM-Clone PC running Ubuntu or Windows 7 at the end.

Sod all to do with the Amiga, this is a new "IBM PC clone" not an Amiga. Barry needs to learn his platforms.

For a $30K system you'd think they could afford better production values for their videos too, my 14 year old sister could knock that up in Windows Movie Maker in 10 mins.

MS Windows NT 4.0 running on PPC based PC looks and feel like any MS Windows NT 4.0 edition.

MS Windows NT 4.0 running on PPC based IBM Thinkpad laptop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxJIA8hscI

MS Windows 8 beta running on ARM Cortex A9 (Nvidia Kal-El) based tablet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOOefm_rwo&feature=player_detailpage#t=109s

MS Windows 8 beta running on AMD Bobcat APU based tablets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbPMuYbZ1A

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:05:35
#54 ]

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:

Yup so what do we have coming on the 11.11.11

Poppy day
SKYRIM
Immortals

Anything else they could potentially be trying to sideload themselves onto?

At 11am on 11/11/11, Ireland will get a new president inaugurated... Far more interesting news for me anyway

Daedalus 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:05:51
#55 ]

Sorry, double post...

Last edited by Daedalus on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:06 PM.

danwood 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:11:31
#56 ]

@Hammer

Not really sure what point you're trying to prove? That PCs are not PCs? The platform has evolved and developed over the years, but anyone who knows anything about computers is aware that the modern day "PC" is a development of the "IBM clones" of the 80s, this is just common sense.

Being pedantic doesn't change that fact, and they still have nothing to do with the Amiga or its heritage.

In the 80s you had IBM PC clones, Macs, Amigas, Atari STs etc. all different platforms, the CUSA products are the IBM PC platform, not Amigas.

Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by danwood on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:12 PM.

itix 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:42:43
#57 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

True Amigas don't exist anymore. Current Amigas was it Efika or AmigaOne Netbook have nothing to do with the original Amiga hardware.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:50:41
#58 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@danwood

True Amigas don't exist anymore.
Yet

Last edited by ErikBauer on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Last edited by ErikBauer on 09-Nov-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Franko 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 13:58:28
#59 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@danwood

True Amigas don't exist anymore. Current Amigas was it Efika or AmigaOne Netbook have nothing to do with the original Amiga hardware.

So all my A1200's are imaginary...

I must have a real good imagination as I'm currently writing some assembler code on one right now... or perhaps me meds are causing side effects not mentioned on the bottle...

ErikBauer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 14:08:53
#60 ]

@Franko

Quote:

Franko wrote:
@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@danwood

So all my A1200's are imaginary...

I must have a real good imagination as I'm currently writing some assembler code on one right now... or perhaps me meds are causing side effects not mentioned on the bottle...

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle