Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  10 mins ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 sibbi:  44 mins ago
 Hammer:  54 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 saimo:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 lionstorm:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 utri007:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 zipper:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Daytona675x 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 14:52:43
#61 ]

@Franko
Quote:
Clicking on this wee flag brings up a list of options one of which is for "SPAM" when you highlight "SPAM" you then have the option to report a video as "Mass Advertising" which is against the TOS on YouTube... You should try it sometime... I did...

Yes, you're right. As internet citizens we have some responsability to keep this place clean. Thanks for the advice, I did my part

Profile     Report this post  
danwood 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 15:26:40
#62 ]

@itix

Quote:
True Amigas don't exist anymore. Current Amigas was it Efika or AmigaOne Netbook have nothing to do with the original Amiga ha

"True Amigas" might not, but Amiga compatibles do, same as the CUSA is an IBM PC compatible, the AmigaOne/Sam is an Amiga compatible.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 21:13:01
#63 ]
Cult Member

Perhaps Itix was meant to say no true Amigas are made nowadays. And that is true. The classics that still live could be dead the next one.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

amigang 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 21:30:19
#64 ]
Elite Member

Ran out of pop corn a while back, with CUSA,(meaning I dont really know what they are up to any more and dont really care that much), what is it with their web site it keeps changing, where has the high end HD DVD equipped 'Amiga' gone?

Tell the truth at the Replay event in Blackpool that I went to their was a C64x on display (infact just opposite the X1000 white case) and it did get quite a bit of attention, plus I have to admit they did do a good job on the case and keyboard but I can help but feel they should of gone the more low tech, low price way. Plus I cant forgive them for all the crap/stunts they have done and still do, I'm just pleased that its not named Workbench 5 I dont think that would of been good for anyone.

Last edited by amigang on 09-Nov-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 09-Nov-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 21:38:15
#65 ]
Elite Member

Seems there's a "real" & as equally unprofessional quality of the video to be seen on YouTube...

The REAL Commodore Vision...

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 22:10:27
#66 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:

Not really sure what point you're trying to prove? That PCs are not PCs? The platform has evolved and developed over the years, but anyone who knows anything about computers is aware that the modern day "PC" is a development of the "IBM clones" of the 80s, this is just common sense.

Anyone who knows computers in a technical aspect would know the assimulated technology with the modern ACPI** enabled PC.

**Recent Windows NT releases uses ACPI HAL (hardware abstraction layer) not "Standard PC" HAL. On x86-64 and Itanium platforms, there is just one possible HAL for each CPU architecture.

With NT's HAL example, it abstracts the responds to an interrupt which is quite different on a machine with an Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC) than on one without.

Quote:

Being pedantic doesn't change that fact, and they still have nothing to do with the Amiga or its heritage.

Funny that AmigaOne SE/XE's MAI chipset can support X86 CPU, sports PC VIA 686 southbridge and X86 emulator (for initializing PC VGA BIOS). X1000 even has AMD's PC southbridge (Hypertransport) and Intel's PCI/PCI-E technology.

Both camps has the "Amiga" name, while only one camp has the official 68K AmigaOS source code access.

PS; OpenGL originated from SGI.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 22:29:20
#67 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:

danwood wrote:
@itix

Quote:
True Amigas don't exist anymore. Current Amigas was it Efika or AmigaOne Netbook have nothing to do with the original Amiga ha

"True Amigas" might not, but Amiga compatibles do, same as the CUSA is an IBM PC compatible, the AmigaOne/Sam is an Amiga compatible.

With a certain PPC based Amigas, it's more like "AmigaOS4.x" compatible with "AmigaOne" name for hardware.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Nov-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 9-Nov-2011 23:15:11
#68 ]

@itix

Quote:

True Amigas don't exist anymore. Current Amigas was it Efika or AmigaOne Netbook have nothing to do with the original Amiga hardware.

Even the Minimig is not based on original Amiga hardware designs ...

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 2:42:01
#69 ]

@amigang

Quote:
Tell the truth at the Replay event in Blackpool that I went to their was a C64x on display (infact just opposite the X1000 white case) and it did get quite a bit of attention, plus I have to admit they did do a good job on the case and keyboard but I can help but feel they should of gone the more low tech, low price way. Plus I cant forgive them for all the crap/stunts they have done and still do, I'm just pleased that its not named Workbench 5 I dont think that would of been good for anyone.

I wish I could have got the the replay event in blackpool but couldn't afford the fuel, it looks like pretty good fun and wouldn't have minded seeing the C64x in the flesh (or plastic) I would have considered buying the bare case since it looked well made but after seeing the terrible cooling that was clearly designed by somebody with no knowledge of modern computers I decided not to bother (and since I no longer have a job I couldn't afford it anyway) I'll just stick to my original plans to put Mini itx motherboard in old C64 and Amiga 500 cases, it's more fun to modify them yourself anyway.

where in cheshire are you if you don't mind me asking, I'm in Chester. Maybe we could organise a North West meeting of some kind? there must be a fair few around the area who would consider meeting up and talking geek over a few drinks.

steril606 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 8:34:04
#70 ]

@Franko

It's the meds..

Quote:
So all my A1200's are imaginary... I must have a real good imagination as I'm currently writing some assembler code on one right now... or perhaps me meds are causing side effects not mentioned on the bottle...

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 8:51:37
#71 ]
Elite Member

@steril606

Quote:

steril606 wrote:
@Franko

It's the meds..

Hmmm... could well be, I gave some to the dog and now he thinks he's Liza Minnelli and wont stop singing songs from Caberet...

PS: It's not the singing that bothers me, it's the top hat and black suspenders he's wearing that's got me worried...

steril606 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 9:13:40
#72 ]

@Franko

Quote:
Hmmm... could well be, I gave some to the dog and now he thinks he's Liza Minnelli and wont stop singing songs from Caberet... PS: It's not the singing that bothers me, it's the top hat and black suspenders he's wearing that's got me worried...

Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

steril606 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 9:16:36
#73 ]

And on a more serious note, would you guys say the Natami will be a "real Amiga" then?

Daytona675x 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 10:29:58
#74 ]

@steril606
Quote:
And on a more serious note, would you guys say the Natami will be a "real Amiga" then?
Well, I'd say it comes closest to what probably would have been if Commodore didn't go down.

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 10:49:44
#75 ]
Elite Member

@steril606

Quote:

steril606 wrote:
@Franko

Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

Sigh... some people never believe anything they read on the net...

PS: To me the NatAmi (if it lives up to it claims) would be the closest thing ever to a new Amiga...

Last edited by Franko on 10-Nov-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 12:26:07
#76 ]

@Franko

Natami would have been maybe the Amiga of 1996/7 but if the original Commodore would have survive until now, you can be sure that it would have end up modernizing the OS by using Unix kernel (whatever it is, Linux, QNX...) and it would have follow as well Apple on x86 for obvious economical reasons. So, in the end 2011 CUSA Amigas will be very close to what would have been today Amigas from original Commodore. That's difficult to heard (I'm not CUSA fan and more a OS4 boy) but this is the reality!

drstrangelove 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 13:43:49
#77 ]

@Seblam

I completely agree with you.
CUSA is most similar to what would Amiga today
Nobody in their right mind would manufacture something other than the state of the art in computer architecture.
AmigaOS, at present, would have a unix-based kernel.
The old software would run under an emulator.
And of course, would still be the same workbench

TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 15:02:38
#78 ]

@Seblam

Quote:
Natami would have been maybe the Amiga of 1996/7 but if the original Commodore would have survive until now, you can be sure that it would have end up modernizing the OS by using Unix kernel (whatever it is, Linux, QNX...) and it would have follow as well Apple on x86 for obvious economical reasons. So, in the end 2011 CUSA Amigas will be very close to what would have been today Amigas from original Commodore. That's difficult to heard (I'm not CUSA fan and more a OS4 boy) but this is the reality!

I don't agree. If commodore was still around and had been developing the amiga for the last 17 years they may have switched to x86 but maybe not so ignoring CPU architecture they would probably be designing their own motherboards using standard components but with a custom BIOS/EFI replacement and probably using GPUs from Nvidia and ATI, Amiga OS would probably have been ported to HP PA-RISC as that was what they had planned for Hombre and possibly developed to a similar state to OS4 is now by about 2000 or so and would have been a competative system but I expect they would have made changes earlier to add SMP due to the markets in which the amiga was popular and it would have made sense to add other important features such as memory protection at the same time, seeing as this would probably be done in the mid to late 90s it's very unlikely they would have chosen Linux as the kernel but what ever path they chose for the kernal (BeOS would have been nice), I expect Workbench would have continued to be part of the OS and the look and feel would have been very similar.

So after that probably pointless rant, in conclusion I don't think there is any way on earth that if commodore had continued that modern amigas would be generic x86 boxes running Linux, X windows and Gnome but probably more like the AmigaOnes (still ignoring CPU architecture)running OS4.x but with a lot more money and resources behind them to make them truly competitive on price. performance and features than we currently, like now, all we would have left of the amiga's of old would be the OS but that would have developed far beyond what we have in AmigaOS 4.1 and thats why to me AmigaOS 4 is amiga just a little delayed (although I don't use it yet and will probably give MorphOS a try first)

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 15:09:45
#79 ]
Elite Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

Quote:
I don't agree. If commodore was still around and had been developing the amiga for the last 17 years they may have switched to x86

Commodore was alread an x86 manufacturer in his later years. Amiga would be evelvod with a Risc architecture.

Bwt, why don't ask Commodore for a collaboration? I don't really see the reason to fight one against each other. We have software producer, hardware producers and developers. United we can have more chance.

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 10-Nov-2011 at 03:10 PM.

number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 15:27:40
#80 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Bwt, why don't ask Commodore for a collaboration?

You're asking a user to start a dialog for a collaboration?

This is unfortunately the problem I saw at the beginning, which still remains to this day. There is no accessible listing for -whom- to contact about -what- topic from every Commodore and Amigalike group.
Until this happens, the wrong people are continually going to contact the wrong people. Sure, they can have a little friendly chat...but getting something done requires connecting the right people involved in each topic.
NO such infrastructure exists.

On AW this is as close to supplying any info as any group has done:
MOS developers and their account names here
If you were interested in discussing a particular topic though, this post assumes all readers would know what each dev works on. Such info needs to be expanded upon and kept up to date for all parties.

Last edited by number6 on 10-Nov-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle