Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  24 mins ago
 zipper:  39 mins ago
 Hypex:  56 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  CUSA POLL
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: CUSA POLL
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 3:18:16
#61 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
@babsimov

Whereas as I believe the opposite. Natami and FPGA are both stuck in the pre-OS4 era - waste of time - hardly a penny to be made in retro.

As I have said time and time again computer hardware for the masses peaked about 5 years ago. For games you buy a console these days (sad situation I know), for business you buy any computer with more than 1.2Ghz of processing power (regardless of architecture) and 2GB of RAM. Naturally if your a poor sad Windows user running Windows 7 you might require a little more clock cycles to run your poor excuse for an operating system.

Anything above that threshold is required for high intensive stuff like video editing (I don't mean iMovie which is more than fast enough at 2Ghz) , 3d rendering which 99.99% of potential consumers don't care less about.

Couldn't disagree with you more in saying there is hardly a penny to be made in retro !!!

Retro stuff and not just computers are very big markets these days with some major companies always cashing in on retro markets...

True they are not a long term solution but I personally see the NatAmi if it's produced in quantity and sold at a reasonable price as being a big hit, with both old & new users...

As the Amiga market is not aimed at business computing, there is not much point in going in that direction, it's a home computer and used by very few professional or business users...

Pre OS4 is not a waste of time as more folk still use OS 3.x than use OS4.x, so again it would make more sense to cater towards the 3.x market where you have more users and more folk looking for something retro too and OS 4.x just doesn't fit that bill for most...

Seems pointless in wanting an Amiga just to do the stuff PC's & Macs can do, when it's going to cost more and quite frankly never stand a chance of actually competing with todays PC's & Macs. Why spend a hell of a lot more on a computer that can do less than a PC or Mac can do for a far better price and can do it better with plenty of software already available for them...

Retro is the way for CUSA to start with and then they could use any profits made to for R&D and develop an Amiga that would at least have a chance of stealing a bit of the mainstream computer market, that's of course if CUSA are genuinely interested in the Amiga community & market...

Profile     Report this post  
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 3:26:07
#62 ]

@djrikki

A natami asic running at say 400 mhz with a 400mhz or faster PPC cpu on the SyncZorro bus would make a pretty nice machine and could run OS4, if it could be made into a portable machine like a portable games console that was also a pocket sized computer for a good price (no more than $300, more could be made selling mew apps and classic game packages by CUSA) it's possible something like this could attract a fair few ex amiga fans, retro gamers, homebrew coders 'etc and create its own niche it wouldn't be a huge market but it would be a whole lot bigger than the current OS4 market. This is one area that the retro pull of the commodore and amiga names could be used well.

I'm pretty sure something like that wouldn't be possible though due to the investment required to get an asic into production and the amount of time it would take the natami team to get to a production ready set of features and even then it probably wouldn't be possible to get the price down to an acceptable level, it's just the modern amiga I would love to have .

sundown 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 3:50:20
#63 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
What I meant by expand the user base is this.People are suggesting cards for classics....or cards or software for existing PPC systems...There are only a finite number of those.....so that does not expand the user base....It limits it to an existing user base....which keeps the situation as it is currently.

Then h/w ISN'T the answer, s/w is. The cost of h/w means nothing if no new & exciting apps are available to run on it & it must be unique to your h/w & no other.

sundown 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 4:05:14
#64 ]
Elite Member

@all

We just got AW to take cusa posts off the front page & we all cheered. Now we get suckered to start posts for them on the front page again.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the new cusa forum?

Bugala 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 5:05:09
#65 ]
Cult Member

@MetalHeart

I agree that we should first have brainstorming session (which this thread is).

My suggestions:

More expensive ones that I would be willing to pay from:
AOS3 or 4 basd Laptop
AOS3 or 4 Tablet

Cheaper Ones:
AOS3 or 4 based Cell Phone
AOS3 or 4 based Skype (or some other VoiP) dedicated cellphone
A1200 type All in one keyboard case for Sam/X1000, especially with possibility to plug into modern HDTV tvs.
Amystick (Amiga in a stick)
AOS3 or 4 based Blu-Ray/Multimedia player.
AOS3 or 4 based IPTV box.
AOS3 or 4 based some sort of notepad device.

Miscellaneous ideas that i throw to air:
CD64
Walker

Last edited by Bugala on 21-Dec-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 8:05:44
#66 ]

Suggestion for poll

Should CUSA and Hyperion/A-eon combine their strenghts and use AmigaOS 4.xx for a new line of computers called Commodore Amiga ?

Hondo 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 8:15:47
#67 ]

@redfox

Quote:
like the desktop cases from this picture

Yeah they are beutiful, Acube should hurry and introduce the AmigaOne 1200 within these beautys.

samo79 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 8:33:50
#68 ]
Elite Member

Mmm I am a bit skeptical aniway ..

Well a PowerPC notebook (1 Ghz or more for example) with (potentially) OS4 prenstalled should be very good, but all of that need a licence of course and an agreement with Hyperion and their developers

but if possible ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Franko 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 8:43:50
#69 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
What I meant by expand the user base is this.People are suggesting cards for classics....or cards or software for existing PPC systems...There are only a finite number of those.....so that does not expand the user base....It limits it to an existing user base....which keeps the situation as it is currently.

Then h/w ISN'T the answer, s/w is. The cost of h/w means nothing if no new & exciting apps are available to run on it & it must be unique to your h/w & no other.

The hardware is the answer just as much as software is, there would be no point in writing new & exciting apps if there was no hardware to run them on...

With this site currently being taken over by all things CUSA, it leaves me wondering if Amiga users really know what they want or are indeed talking about...

The vast majority of suggestions from folk basically describe just yet another PC that you can run the same stuff from Windows or a Mac on. What's the point... just buy a PC or Mac instead...

Any new Amiga that someone may wish to create would have to be just like the Amiga was in 85 ie: a custom built machine using custom designed chips with software that's unique to it, otherwise like I say, you may as well just use or buy a PC or Mac as there is nothing unique or indeed Amiga about most of the suggestions made in any of these CUSA thread...

PS: When's the site name being changed to CUSAworld.net...

ExiE 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 9:00:55
#70 ]

@Franko

Quote:
Any new Amiga that someone may wish to create would have to be just like the Amiga was in 85 ie: a custom built machine using custom designed chips with software that's unique to it, otherwise like I say, you may as well just use or buy a PC or Mac as there is nothing unique or indeed Amiga about most of the suggestions made in any of these CUSA thread...

custom designed chips etc will make it as expensive as for example X1000, ie not suitable for majority of Amigans and I am not mentioning people outside Amiga community.

AliveMOon 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 9:38:01
#71 ]

x86 hardware is more than star in the sky. No more.

I think there are already more than 500 people who plan to take NatAmi, me too.

They should help you be ready faster.

Last edited by AliveMOon on 21-Dec-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 21-Dec-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Last edited by AliveMOon on 21-Dec-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Things I want to buy:
An accelerator card for my A2000

wawa 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 9:41:54
#72 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

but we already have multiple fpga implementations, partly extending beyond the original idea. the project could be easily based on that work. however the enduser price must be a fraction of what os4 hardware costs today, otherwise no chance for mass market.

SHADES 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 10:37:20
#73 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

Quote:
Suggestion for poll Should CUSA and Hyperion/A-eon combine their strenghts and use AmigaOS 4.xx for a new line of computers called Commodore Amiga ?

Ooooh, I wasn't going to post here for a few days in case i rattled a few cages a little too harshly however, for me, this is really a very sensible and workable way forward with expansion galore, as long as it doesn't get restricted by an expensive buy-in weather that be a platform design, or just crap specs i.e. bang for buck.

I like your thinking Hondo.

There is still 1 other method for (Newer AMIGA OS LIKE/CLONE) new box on in-expensive hardware collaboration with funds to developers for more software ports being MOS

Just a suggestion that seemed overlooked.
I'd still prefer Hondo's option.

p.s. Commodore AMIGA. sounds kind of catchy. I wonder if it will ever take off......a 2nd time lol

I'd like to +1 for this in poll please. I mean Hondo option / idea.

Last edited by SHADES on 21-Dec-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 21-Dec-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 21-Dec-2011 at 10:39 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 10:49:26
#74 ]
Cult Member

@trans / ALL

God, this was really well thought out too. Trans's list on page 1.
Could we combine Hondo's idea in this somehow??

+1 for this type/kind of mapping idea

Last edited by SHADES on 21-Dec-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 11:24:53
#75 ]
Cult Member

@ trans

I'd remove the Cellphone, Wristwatch options BTW, and maybe add an AIO option (non-retro) on the case design section.

Of course any other architecture than PPC combined with AmigaOS 4.x would require a double effort in terms of investment (hardware + OS port), so to be realistic I'd skip non-PPC ISA options combined with OS4. Then if the majority votes for MorphOS or AROS or wathever they could be kept.

ExiE 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 11:27:16
#76 ]

@wawa

Quote:
but we already have multiple fpga implementations, partly extending beyond the original idea. the project could be easily based on that work. however the enduser price must be a fraction of what os4 hardware costs today, otherwise no chance for mass market.

Fully agree. But my previous comment pointed to other post
Quote:
Any new Amiga that someone may wish to create would have to be just like the Amiga was in 85

Such machine should be quite powerfull and with custom build chips would cost fortune and not possible to build and produce in 6 months.

Retro machines are quite different.

Last edited by ExiE on 21-Dec-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 11:37:23
#77 ]
Cult Member

My 4 cents:

Case-only Option: A retro-case for SAMs (or wathever mobo playing nicely with Amiga-like OSes). Should be relatively cheap.

HW Option: A Freescale QorIQ board, inside a nice nettop case, plus AOS 4.x port. Don't think it's realistic but one can always dream.

SW Option: Snapshot AROS and pay a dev Team to make it reach some serious milestones, come to an agreement with Hyperion and call it AmigaOS 5, create a cheap X86 machine around it with what's fully supported. IMHO this would make sense, with or without CUSA.

NEXT-NEXT GEN Option: Fork Andoid ICS and throw in some good ideas from the past (Workbench metaphor, draggable screens), keep the Android Market and add an "Amiga Classics" App with in-App purchases for licensed retro games. Call it Amiganoid or whatever you like, and bundle it with a nice Tegra3-based tablet.

danwood 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 11:56:53
#78 ]

I felt I had to comment on the Tablet suggestion that's been made every other post, personally I think OS4 would make a terrible tablet OS. It's not designed for it in the slightest, desktop OSes just don't work well on touch-screen tablets.

There's a lot more to making a tablet OS than just bundling some touch-screen drivers.

Last edited by danwood on 21-Dec-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 11:58:56
#79 ]
Cult Member

@danwood

Couldn't agree more!

Belxjander 
Posted on 21-Dec-2011 12:13:29
#80 ]
Cult Member

@trans

1 = Operating System,
personally I would like AmigaOS 4.x (PPC) or AROS (x86+amd64 option)

2 = Architecture,
PPC is preferable,
x86/amd64 (if they are just going to ship cheap ####)

3 = Case Design,
I would choose to built a Tablet style for at least the display... with wireless keyboard and mouse kit.
otherwise I would make the case itself more of a "Stackable Cube" for racking purposes.

4 = Price Range,
Using off the shelf parts for AROS release kit, and having AOS4.x on the higher end kit...
I would choose *two* price ranges here... $199-$399 for the AROS basic options
with the AOS4.x machines needing to be at least equally powered.

the only real difference between the two kit will be the processor and memory...
the expansion options (PCIe and PCI) really are the same and just need the driver support.

The development of the above choices is already clear and may have some controversy...
considering I am choosing both a "commercial"(AOS4.x) release path paired with a FLOSS path,
with AROS being supported for Personal or "general" usage and AOS4.x can be the flagship
as it generally has become now.

MorphOS and AmigaOS Classic are supportable if there is the option to introduce a proper
AmigaOS4.x "WarpOS.library" to support loading and running those materials.
(Petunia is already in use for Classic Applications and only needs some work to expand that maybe?)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle