Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  16 mins ago
 21stcentury:  23 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
klx300r 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 16:49:54
#121 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

...if people want cheap stuff then go use an windows based machine with uae on it, a soul less setup which would never be enough for the Amiga users who buy the X1k.

thats the whole point!.

+ 1, yes sir that IS the whole point

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Profile     Report this post  
Arko 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 23:04:35
#122 ]

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

From the very beginning it was stated that the X1000 is not for the "normal end user", but for developers and geeks instead and so is no mass product.

1500 AOS4 Users and if 10% are developers you would only need 150 A1X1Ks .. IMHO my calculation is very optimistic.

Quote:

They stated that they'd break even if they sold roughly 250 units (first batch).

Please give us a link that proofs this statement.

I knew the number 250 only from this interview:
http://www.ppa.pl/publicystyka/trevor-dickinson-june-2010.html

And somehow it did not seems as if the first batch of "first contact systmes" where 250 units and Trevor did not claim a break even with 250 units.

Quote:

They were overwhelmed by the demand (despite the price) and decided to have a 2nd production run.

According to some claims of A-Eon this now must be the 3rd or 4th production run.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 6:48:34
#123 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

Quote:

Phantom wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@sundown

[quote]
sundown wrote:
@_ThEcRoW

Those who are good managing their money do find the x1000 "cheap". I paid more for a fully loaded A4000T back in "95".

1+!
Couldn't agree more!

Well, although I plan to buy an X1000 to support the effort, your comment is actually not true. You paid more as you say for a fully loaded A4000T back in 95,

[/quote]

Drop the "back in 95", as I bought & assembled mine in 1997/98 (with one of the first CSPPC)...

Quote:

Phantom wrote:

but I'm sure that you had almost unlimited software products to try out, from office tools (word processors, spreadsheets, databases etc) to games to thousands of hardware cards for your favourite taste.

Hmmmm - well - the part with the software is still valid today. I still have my (not so small) collection of commercial Amiga software. If my A1X1k arrives, the situation is similar like back in 1997/98 - I can run all my old software - and that at an decent speed.

But I won't have any software initially that e.g. could utilise both PA-Semi cores or the XENA chip - just like I didn't have software initially that was able to utilise the PPC on my CSPPC when I got my A4kPPC.

Quote:

Phantom wrote:

If I list every commercial product probably the WWW will fall down.

Nah - I don't think there ever were so much commercial Amiga titles that listing them would break down the www...

B.T.W. :
www = world wide waiting...

Quote:

Phantom wrote:

So, unfortunately it's not the same with X1000. Apart from let's say 10-15 excellent native Amiga programs, all the others are simply ports from Linux etc.

Hmmm - not if you're a long time Amigan and started to buy and collect software for the Amiga when everything was still available...

Quote:

Phantom wrote:

But on the other hand, there are some people that they do excellent ports.

Yes. I don't mind ports - for example I love DynaCadd - the best (real 3d) CAD program on the Amiga ever.

Quote:

Phantom wrote:

My opinion is that X1000 should be launched with Timberwolf, and at least a modern office suite.

There is no doubt about the need of the Amiga platform for such productvity apps. They should be native and modeern - but who is going to fund such commercial apps? I would definitely immediately buy a native Amiga, decent and modern office suite with a word processor complying to the latest German spelling rules.

My old Amiga word processors are all from the time BEFORE we had our spelling reform here in Germany...

Last edited by Dandy on 03-Jul-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 03-Jul-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 9:28:54
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

From the very beginning it was stated that the X1000 is not for the "normal end user", but for developers and geeks instead and so is no mass product.

1500 AOS4 Users and if 10% are developers you would only need 150 A1X1Ks .. IMHO my calculation is very optimistic.

Apparently your optimistic calculation is wrong.

Quote:

Arko wrote:

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

They stated that they'd break even if they sold roughly 250 units (first batch).

Please give us a link that proofs this statement.

Sorry - I just can tell you that I read it somewhere on the www in an interview with Trevor Dickinson/A-Eon shortly after the "What is "X""-campaign.
I cannot remember the URL after all this time passed - sorry.
Maybe Trevor reads this and can confirm - or someone else here has a link to it...

Quote:

Arko wrote:

I knew the number 250 only from this interview:
http://www.ppa.pl/publicystyka/trevor-dickinson-june-2010.html

And somehow it did not seems as if the first batch of "first contact systmes" where 250 units and Trevor did not claim a break even with 250 units.

They were overwhelmed by the demand (despite the price) and decided to have a another production run. At least that was what I understood from what was reported on several Amiga pages.

Trevor stated in one of his early interviews, that his friend and co-director of A-Eon, Tony Moorley (a non Amiga-fanatic), will hopefully keep him grounded. In this context he mentioned that he was hoping to break even and perhaps make a small bargain for future developments if the production run will be completely sold.
It was similar to this interview on the Obligement website:
"...
Personally I would be happy if we just recovered our original investment but, in reality we will also need to generate some profit in order to re-invest in new hardware development and possibly attract additional funding if we are to see the AmigaOne product line continue to flourish in the future.
"

Quote:

Arko wrote:

According to some claims of A-Eon this now must be the 3rd or 4th production run.

If you count in the production run of the evaluation boards and the production run of the beta test boards you might be correct...
But is knowing the correct number of production runs relevant at all?

Last edited by Dandy on 04-Jul-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 03-Jul-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Dandy

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 11:45:14
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

Quote:
Well, although I plan to buy an X1000 to support the effort,

sounds really generous, if i was your girlfriend id kill you.

terminills 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 13:31:31
#126 ]
AROS Core Developer

@sundown

Quote:
Those who are good managing their money do find the x1000 "cheap". I paid more for a fully loaded A4000T back in "95

I manage my money fine. The x1000 is not cheap and in 95 you couldn't buy a more powerful PC for $300.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

itix 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 14:13:12
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

They were overwhelmed by the demand (despite the price) and decided to have a another production run. At least that was what I understood from what was reported on several Amiga pages.

It is a sign of small capital and small demand. There isnt enough demand and capital to order next batch until previous batch and shipped and sold. It is very typical phenomenon in an Amiga micro market.

damocles 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 14:38:18
#128 ]

@terminills

Quote:
I manage my money fine. The x1000 is not cheap and in 95 you couldn't buy a more powerful PC for $300.

In 1995, I would have thought you were mad if you told me the CPU(s) power of mobile phone like the Galaxy SIII.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 15:20:49
#129 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You don't buy computers to impress other, you buy computers because you like to use them, who cares if AmigaONE-X1000 is not a big success takes over the world, I wont one that is that, so I'm going to buy one, stop worry about scale of the Amiga market, instead enjoy what we have live in the moment if you have the money way the hell not use its, no fun having it sitting unused in the bank account.

Ferrari is not the most sold car or the cheapest, or most practical of cars, but people do buy them, even whit all Ferraris limitations and problems as family car.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 03:22 PM.

opi 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 15:31:50
#130 ]
Team Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
stop worry about scale of the Amiga market

Well, you should worry at least a bit; there may be time where ACube and A-Eon will not build new hardware due lack of people in the market.

Quote:
Ferrari is not the most sold car or the cheapest, or most practical of cars, but people do buy them, even whit all Ferraris limitations and problems as family car.

Except X1000 is not a Ferrari of computing. It's a custom-made car with a huge diamond on top of gear stick.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 16:41:38
#131 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Common, A1200/A4000 stooped production back in 1994 yet peaple are using this computers way? When there is not produced anything new? Well because they like classic A1200 and A4000 computers, or nostalgia, AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS is a dieing raise, when we die there won't be anyone out there gives a crap about Amiga history or anything.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 16:59:25
#132 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga
Quote:

people buy ferraris to show off i guess. simple minded, but reach, not knowing what to spend the money on otherwise. still a car like that provides them with what they need, namely useless power, as subtitute for apparently complexed ego that needs something unnecessary but huge to occupy the space they couldnt claim alone by themselves.

i hope x1k doesnt fit in this cathegory, but where does it fit? likely just as a rare collectable to keep in a vitrine. would be difficult to show off with it today, as it was perhaps possible with a genuine amiga back in the time when it was a ferrari of home computers, still being even practical for everyday tasks, mind you. or would you go to custom cars meeting with a hotrod equipped with a moped engine?

Seiya 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:00:50
#133 ]

A1X1000 is a fiat 500 paid like 10 ferrari.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:12:02
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya
well its rather like this ugly new remakes of fiat 500 or beetle, or chrysler cars that try to look retro, but come over kitchy. but if they made them in small batches by hand, they would be as expensive as ferraris i guess.

now i think the only thing x1k can be yet compared in most aspects is art.
(it being useless, expensive, mostly not worth the price asked, pretentious, but still a small chance it contains something significant, that the vaste majority will anyway overlook for coming centuries)

Last edited by wawa on 03-Jul-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Comi 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:32:23
#135 ]
Cult Member

What I think is that small number of people work in Amigakit...
If boards are produced ( 500 untill 1.7.2012.) and they have them and also have 500 interested people, July and Avgust is more then enough to ship them all.
If they have people to test boards/systems, to send e mails, pack and ship.
They must speed up things a bit.
But more realistic is that they will send them ono by one, day by day until Amiwest or New Year.

Arko 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:37:12
#136 ]

@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

if people want cheap stuff then go use an windows based machine with uae on it, a soul less setup which would never be enough for the Amiga users who buy the X1k.

And if people want to have an Amiga they could get it from CUSA a machine capable to run the most advanced desktop OSes.

SCNR.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:55:15
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

please, lets not beat that again. cusa's amiga is not more an "amiga" than x1k except by its name. its functionality will not resemble an amiga im used to, im certain. x1k might achieve some part of that although i rather doubt.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 17:55:27
#138 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
And if people want to have an Amiga they could get it from CUSA a machine capable to run the most advanced desktop OSes.

I don't think most Amiga users expectations is a little different then re branded Linux distribution installed and in re branded computer case, and I don't think most Amiga users wont to support or indirectly support Amiga Inc.

Anyway if you wont OS and a PC, that have all you need then a ultra sheep, then you can buy a Raspberry Pi, it has every thing you need for $25 USD, and if you put a Amiga sticker on it I'm shore you can call it a Amiga, as long as you don't sell it whit a Amiga sticker, in that case I don't think Amiga Inc is going to be too happy if did not pay for license fee for using the brand name Amiga.

And if feel like won't stay whit Amiga you can rent a room at Hotel Amiga.

http://www.lifeinkorea.com/hotels/korea/1054

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jul-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Darrin 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 18:02:45
#139 ]
Team Member

@Arko

This is about the AmigaOne X1000 and those who wish to purchase one or are just interested in following the progress. Your post is just plain trolling.

This is your first and last warning on this subject. Please refrain from turning this thread into a nuclear meltdown. I'm hoping for a quite day.

Last edited by Darrin on 03-Jul-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Darrin 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 18:10:11
#140 ]
Team Member

@Seiya

And what others want to spend their money on is their business (which is why I'm surrounded by 70s and 80s computers).

Feel free to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COMMODORE-128D-vintage-computer-and-keyboard-RARE-/260973919535?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3cc341fd2f

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle