Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  15 mins ago
 pavlor:  24 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 wakido:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 7 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 15 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 hrs 16 mins ago
 Matt3k:  8 hrs 33 mins ago
 RobertB:  8 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New Deluxe Paint for AmigaOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: New Deluxe Paint for AmigaOS
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 21:34:59
#101 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

it was bigd who first mentioned babylon and jurassic park in this context not me.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 0:19:20
#102 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Just testing you My mistake but the usage of DPaint in all major bitmap art in Amiga/Megadrive EA games made up until the late 90s mean it's heritage and hall of fame status is guaranteed. Not to mention Team17 used for their Amiga masterpieces.

Also, tell me the 2003 single "Move Your Feet" by Danish alternative dance duo Junior Senior could have been made using anything other than DPaint on an Amiga. Great fun and retro flavoured kookiness created entirely using the Amiga version of Deluxe Paint by the art collective Shynola.

By comparison Photoshop might as well be M$ Office it is such a dull utilitarian tool for professionals to doctor up super model's blemishes on magazines etc. It's not fun, it get updated far too regularly, with stupidly complex features for too much money! It's fine for professionals but is NOT a nice program for the home computer.

broadblues 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 0:43:03
#103 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Honestly I despair of the lot of you.

DPaint was great in it's time, but the world moved on there are more that 8bits in the modern digital artists palette.

You think DPaint is intuitive because you know how to use it. If you learn't with photoshop style modern apps you'd think the opposite. I find GIMP easier than Photoshop as that's what I learned on.

Sure that geeky retro animated video was easier to do DPaint, but so what?

Quote:

By comparison Photoshop might as well be M$ Office it is such a dull utilitarian tool for professionals to doctor up super model's blemishes on magazines etc. It's not fun, it get updated far too regularly, with stupidly complex features for too much money! It's fine for professionals but is NOT a nice program for the home computer.

Boring unimaginative photo shop in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufSXrH-Cp4

wawa 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 0:55:24
#104 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

planar low color gfx has somethin for itself i must admit. trying to design that theme for aros has convinced me it might have quite some sense to reduce yourself. not that this particular theme was any great but generally the attitude against overloaded gfx that actually should retreat into the background.

as i said grafx2 is agreat tool for the task.

now, ive just finished my first sketch in painter x3 test version so far and i must admit drawing with pressure sensitive stylus directly on screen has some advantages too;)

Last edited by wawa on 18-Nov-2013 at 12:56 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 0:59:59
#105 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Boring unimaginative photo shop in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufSXrH-Cp4

Great, I'll start saving to enrol my child on a course at FZDSCHOOL OF DESIGN so that she can enjoy using a computer artistically I don't care that it is possible to use it artistically just that it is so user unfriendly and cumbersome that it puts students off trying computer art and animation in the first place!

There is a place for DPaint in the modern era and it is quite clear that Photoshop is over-rated and the industry standard through bloat-ware tactics (similar to those used by M$ Windows) rather than it actually being a well designed piece of software!

... plus they are actually aimed at different markets. Photoshop can't even do animation!

Rob 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 1:04:36
#106 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Who knows how complex DPaint would be almost 20 years on anyway.

I'm glad you are actively developing a new art package for us. Hopefully I'll be able to make a donation next month, the crisis in the Philippines took priority this month.

Rob 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 1:11:59
#107 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

There's plenty of software to choose from besides Photoshop. It's like focussing on C++ and ignoring the fact that there are languages specifically designed for children and beginners.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 1:15:35
#108 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Oh yeah and a years tuition at the school that created that is 40,000 SGD (Singapore Dollars)! That's not including hardware costs which are an additional 6,440.40 SGD!

FZD School of Design 1 Year Diploma

42,800.00 SGD = 21,311.25 GBP
6440.50 SGD = 3,206.91 GBP

GRAND TOTAL = 24,518.16 GBP

.. oh and then there's the admin fees. Just a mere 845.60 GBP! This pushes the cost above £25,000!! I should flipping hell hope you'd be able to paint a ruddy picture on Photoshop after shelling out that amount of money!!

This isn't including living costs and transport to relocate from the UK!

I'll stick with DPaint and save the money thank you and in the process have more fun and possibly inspire the next generation to do more than poke their friends on MyFace or aspire to make a super-model look less fat on Vogue

Last edited by BigD on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:17 AM.

broadblues 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 1:55:48
#109 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Sorry but I'm not sure what the cost of Feng Zhu's school has to do with the obvious simplicity and elegance of his drawing work in photoshop. He didn't learn at his own school did he? He did the artwork for Star Wars in traditional media, like pencil, markers and guash. He now uses Photoshop as it's the best tool for the job. He also demonstrates and uses an number of other programs in his videos and oddly none of them are DPaint or Daint like 8bit drawing software.

The point is he doesn't use any fancy tools and brushes, just one of the simple standard brushes and an intuitos tablet.

If you weren't inspired by that video and the artwork created then I think you must not have much artistic sense at all, just a old retro brain stuck in the past.

BTW If you truly want to inspire creativity in your daughter, buy her some crayons!

BigD 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 2:52:47
#110 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
BTW If you truly want to inspire creativity in your daughter, buy her some crayons!

Funny His £25,000+ course costs show how elitist this whole sector has become. Commodore under Jack Tramiel was all about computers for the masses not the classes and DPaint personified that mantra on the Amiga! You're deluded if you think one program can cover all needs hence there is room for DPaint in this marketplace.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 4:18:26
#111 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

mygod nothing special about that photoshop techniques. they will charge you to learn it in the school, sure but if you are gifted you can learn it yourself. to be honest i dont see any much difference in that video to painting in dpaint. he is also using some basic colours..

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 11:22:08
#112 ]

@BigD

So then come to Naples... It is out just the corner of your home compared to Singapore, LOL!

And Graphic Schools costs only about 400 euro for one year course + 900 euro for tuition (prices are excluding italian taxes I believe, that is 22% VAT + a region tax)

http://www.isdnapoli.it/?lang=en

http://www.isdnapoli.net/pdf/corsi/en/graphic-intensive.pdf

@ ALL:

Don't underestimate pixel features of modern Vector Graphics Software:

Take a look to what a good artist is capable of, using Inkscape!!!

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=7048284

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Nov-2013 at 11:23 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 11:42:19
#113 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

okay i went to art academies in germany and poland. it didnt cost me nothing but i had to accomplish an gifted exam on entry. whatever. its not about the money, paying more doesnt mean you will become a better artríst automatically..

anyway i believe grafx2 port is available for os4, so the subject is actually moot.since its accomplished. sorry for hammering on this.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 13:02:54
#114 ]

@wawa

I was just joking...

As a 25.000 (25,000) GB Pounds design course seems me rather than outrageous... Even for Singapore "Far East Cameo City of the rich and famous"...

I know there were lots of free design courses everywhere...

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:03 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 15:44:11
#115 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:

As a 25.000 (25,000) GB Pounds design course seems me rather than outrageous... Even for Singapore "Far East Cameo City of the rich and famous"...

I'm not sure why we have got distracted by the cost of Feng Zhu's school, my point was about the fact that photoshop in no way, restricted the free flow of freehand painting, and is not inferior or less intuitive than DPaint as BigD would insist. (I never found DPaint easy to paint in myself, it was till I got hold of application ca[pable of 32bit graphics and blendable colours that I found I could sketch on a computer).

As to the cost of Feng Zhu's school it's a course for established or nearly established designers (rather than artists) working at the highest level. And as private school is not subsidized, I'd expect many art courses at that level would cost quite abit without any state subsidy for the students.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 15:59:31
#116 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

i agree

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 21:46:08
#117 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

my point was about the fact that photoshop in no way, restricted the free flow of freehand painting, and is not inferior or less intuitive than DPaint as BigD would insist. (I never found DPaint easy to paint in myself, it was till I got hold of application ca[pable of 32bit graphics and blendable colours that I found I could sketch on a computer).

Photoshop is superior to any other graphic program just only because it has a superb colors management and has "the name" of being "Photoshop"...

For the rest is not a matter of being intuitive...

Photoshop just complicates the life of users as for a large number of operations it requires to create "n" number of layers, or applying effects to layers (for example in masking colors) there where DPaint made it with just a click on the mask effect icon and some clicks on the colors itself.

The great problem of Amiga is that Commodore never increased the value of Amiga software and making advertising so it could being famous..
The only Amiga software still being famous is Lightwave, but thanks to Newtek... Scala became sometimes somewhen famous amongst videomakers, but actually none knows of it except those people aged around fourty, who used Amiga as a professional video tool.

Apple before bickering with Adobe as they were merry wives, made a big pride of being the best hardware of reference for Adobe Postscript, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop...

If we Amigans were were smart, should had made advertising like "Who cares of Firefox, we have OWB to surf the net!"

Sure we were (and still are) uncapable of make people envy of our good software like DPaint, and make them desire to buy Amiga for our killer apps, like Apple did (and still does)...

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Nov-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 23:54:27
#118 ]

@Rob

Quote:
Who knows how complex DPaint would be almost 20 years on anyway.

I bet it would be so different (as in "so much better") that some people would argue if it should still be called "Deluxe Paint" as it has obviously "moved on"

-EDIT-
What I mean is, it would be so different that it might well have been written from scratch (probably would be easier that way)...

Last edited by Jupp3 on 18-Nov-2013 at 11:56 PM.

asymetrix 
Posted on 19-Nov-2013 1:25:48
#119 ]
Cult Member

@thread

here are what some people in the industry use :

Corel (Jasc PaintShop Pro)

It has batch effects processing via script !
Pixelmator (mac)

If we are to succeed we need to aim this high. (they have a scripting engine in its core).

broadblues 
Posted on 19-Nov-2013 2:09:01
#120 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@asymetrix

Quote:

If we are to succeed we need to aim this high. (they have a scripting engine in its core).

SketchBlock is 100% scriptable.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle